Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

email arival sound on nokia lumia 520

Options
  • 30-08-2014 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭

I used to have under tones for ringing/text and email under settings/ringtones and sounds. Now there is no email link.

I have set up an email address not an MS one and can log in on my nokia. But I want it to make a sound when email arrives. I can do this on the computer.
    I do not want any apps ,they check for updates in backgound

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Try looking in... Settings > Ringtones + Sounds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭GoodLord

theothernt wrote: »
    Try looking in... Settings > Ringtones + Sounds
    as i said i have looked there, no email sound there now. is it the 8.1 update that removed it?

GoodLord wrote: »
    as i said i have looked there, no email sound there now. is it the 8.1 update that removed it?

Ah! I was assuming you were on 8.0.

In Windows Phone 8.1, look in Settings > Notifications + Actions then tap on your email account (eg. Google Mail, Hotmail, Outlook, etc) to change the notifications (sound, banners, vibrate).

Is there any way you can just log into hotmail and read/send email from this phone without downloading and without syncing. Just webmail like on pc and have it remember the email and password.

Is there any way you can just log into hotmail and read/send email from this phone without downloading and without syncing. Just webmail like on pc and have it remember the email and password.

No, that's not how the email apps on any phone work.

• Advertisement

No, that's not how the email apps on any phone work.
    i can log into yahoo and mail.com and send email. Is it because hotmail is MS?

i can log into yahoo and mail.com and send email. Is it because hotmail is MS?

The built-in Mail app only has support for a limited set of services such as Outlook.com (was Hotmail), Yahoo, Google Mail, iCloud, etc. You can see the full list by going to Settings > Email + Accounts > Add An Account.

Of course, you can always use the web browser (Internet Explorer) to login to an email service if you like.

The built-in Mail app only has support for a limited set of services such as Outlook.com (was Hotmail), Yahoo, Google Mail, iCloud, etc. You can see the full list by going to Settings > Email + Accounts > Add An Account.

Of course, you can always use the web browser (Internet Explorer) to login to an email service if you like.
    well i can with yahoo amd mail but it does not work with hotmail. It downloads and syncs and will not remember the log in and passord details

well i can with yahoo amd mail but it does not work with hotmail. It downloads and syncs and will not remember the log in and passord details

Can you go through the steps you use to log into Hotmail ?

Can you go through the steps you use to log into Hotmail ?
    Go to google search page /type in hotmail/click hotmail lin/ I get microsoft account sign in page/type in email and password. Get in.

It will not remember the sign in name/password. Next time i try the sign in and password are blank again. There is a 'keep me signed in' box but no 'remember name and password' box. I do not want to stay signed in

I have a shortcut on the start screen that brings me dirtect to the microsoft account sign in page but the name and password are blank. How can i get it to rmemmber the name password. I also have a mail com shortcut on the startscreen and when clicked it goes to the log in page with the name and password entered -password = *****- and i only have to click log in

• Advertisement

Go to google search page /type in hotmail/click hotmail lin/ I get microsoft account sign in page/type in email and password. Get in.

It will not remember the sign in name/password. Next time i try the sign in and password are blank again. There is a 'keep me signed in' box but no 'remember name and password' box. I do not want to stay signed in

I have a shortcut on the start screen that brings me dirtect to the microsoft account sign in page but the name and password are blank. How can i get it to rmemmber the name password. I also have a mail com shortcut on the startscreen and when clicked it goes to the log in page with the name and password entered -password = *****- and i only have to click log in

I just tried to log into my Outlook.com email (same as Hotmail), and the web browser offered to save my username + password. When I logged out of Outlook.com then return to that page, the username + password has filled in for me.

To make sure Internet Explorer does this, go to Settings > swipe left to Applications > Internet Explorer > find the Advanced Settings button > look for Website Passwords and set it to Remember ... then visit the website and login again.

I just tried to log into my Outlook.com email (same as Hotmail), and the web browser offered to save my username + password. When I logged out of Outlook.com then return to that page, the username + password has filled in for me.

To make sure Internet Explorer does this, go to Settings > swipe left to Applications > Internet Explorer > find the Advanced Settings button > look for Website Passwords and set it to Remember ... then visit the website and login again.
    I tried it did not work. It was already set to ask if it should remember and did not ask. Tried allowing all cookies still did not work

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I used to have under tones for ringing/text and email under settings/ringtones and sounds. Now there is no email link.

I have set up an email address not an MS one and can log in on my nokia. But I want it to make a sound when email arrives. I can do this on the computer.
    I do not want any apps ,they check for updates in backgound

I'm confused by this bit.

You mean the app checks for new email in the background? You know you can tell it never to do that?

awec wrote: »
    I'm confused by this bit.

You mean the app checks for new email in the background? You know you can tell it never to do that?
    i do not use apps, they want too much info. you cannot stop apps checking for updates but i do not install them and would delete all if i could

i do not use apps, they want too much info. you cannot stop apps checking for updates but i do not install them and would delete all if i could

Using the mail app is no different to logging in through your browser.

You can tell the mail app to not check for new mail until you tell it. And you can tell the store to never install app updates unless you do it manually.

Using the mail app is no different to logging in through your browser.

You can tell the mail app to not check for new mail until you tell it. And you can tell the store to never install app updates unless you do it manually.
    any app i have looked at wants to access various information. location etc etc .is mail app different. if using an ms account all email and appointments are synced. i prefer to keep my appointments on my phone only. i do not want to be signed in with an ms account, I only want to have an email i can check when out if needs be. When MS pay my phone bill they can tell me how to use it

The mail app is already on the phone - it doesn't use location.

When you add the account, you can tell it what to sync and when to sync it. For example you can tell it only to sync email and to ignore calendar and contacts. And you can also tell it to sync every 15/30 mins , every hour or you can set it to only sync manually when you open the app and hit the refresh button. :)

Syncing contacts is actually handy as it means if you ever lose your phone or anything you haven't lost anyone's details, but I understand that some people prefer not to do that :)

The mail app is already on the phone - it doesn't use location.

When you add the account, you can tell it what to sync and when to sync it. For example you can tell it only to sync email and to ignore calendar and contacts.
    And you can also tell it to sync every 15/30 mins , every hour or you can set it to only sync manually when you open the app and hit the refresh button. :)

Syncing contacts is actually handy as it means if you ever lose your phone or anything you haven't lost anyone's details, but I understand that some people prefer not to do that :)
    thanks did not know that.when i add the acount are the sync email calendar and contacts enabled by default. Do i have to turn them off

And when i send will it said sent from my windows phone? not bothered just curious

thanks did not know that.when i add the acount are the sync email calendar and contacts enabled by default. Do i have to turn them off

And when i send will it said sent from my windows phone? not bothered just curious

If you go to settings > accounts and click on the account in question the options are all there.

You can turn the email signature off in the mail app. If you click the three dots in the bottom right and go to settings it's in there somewhere to change or turn off the signature :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Do you wear a tinfoil hat?

• Advertisement

If you go to settings > accounts and click on the account in question the options are all there.

You can turn the email signature off in the mail app. If you click the three dots in the bottom right and go to settings it's in there somewhere to change or turn off the signature :)
    have it done unticked sync to everything except email. Many thanks

testicle wrote: »
    Do you wear a tinfoil hat?
    :):):) your username says you're just talking ba**s

can be turn off but not changed

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

can be turn off but not changed

It can be changed. Where it says "Sent for my windows phone", just tap that and you can edit it. Or tap the button to turn it off entirely.

mark_m360 wrote: »
    It can be changed. Where it says "Sent for my windows phone", just tap that and you can edit it. Or tap the button to turn it off entirely.
    It will not stay changed though. you cannot have a new signature to automatically go on future emails as faras i can see?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

It will not stay changed though. you cannot have a new signature to automatically go on future emails as faras i can see?

You need to tap the done button (the tick) for it to save.

mark_m360 wrote: »
    You need to tap the done button (the tick) for it to save.
    Edit found it thanks

still will not remember my password. i get messages now and then to verify account and have to log in from the email address /password page.

Advertisement