Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

punk_one82 wrote: »
    According to Sky Sports Rodgers has told Hodgson that even if Sturridge is back for Liverpool this weekend he won't be fit for England. Success.

Rodgers doesn't have any say or veto over whether Hodgson calls Sturridge up or not. Even if Sturridge is injured and Rodgers/LFC publicly state he is injured Hodgson can still call him up and assess his fitness to play himself.

Rodgers saying Sturridge won't play for England next week is meaningless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Not actually meaningless - it sends a clear message that Rodgers is unhappy with England and they'd do well to note that fact. Yes the FA can overrule a club but ultimately they need the co-operate of managers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

BenEadir wrote: »
    Rodgers doesn't have any say or veto over whether Hodgson calls Sturridge up or not. Even if Sturridge is injured and Rodgers/LFC publicly state he is injured Hodgson can still call him up and assess his fitness to play himself.

Rodgers saying Sturridge won't play for England next week is meaningless.

I've already said that.

Not actually meaningless - it sends a clear message that Rodgers is unhappy with England and they'd do well to note that fact.
    Oooohhhh I'd say Hodson is $hitting himself. No please no, BR is upset and won't bless me with the radiance of those nice shiny teeth next time I meet him :rolleyes:
    Yes the FA can overrule a club but ultimately they need the co-operate of managers.
    Why? What actual difference would it make to Hodgson if BR withdrew his co-operation? BTW, in what way are managers supposed to co-operate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

My 2c on the Mignolet attempted save
    Whether he could have prevented it we will never know, but I do think he could have done a few things better to give himself the chance
    He jumped from a standing position, he didnt shift left to move in the direction of the shot, if he had even taken one step to his left and dived while moving I think he would have got fingertips to it
    I always coach my young keepers that if you see a ball going top corner, then you have to move the feet first before making your dive...it gives you more momentum and gets your body shape right for the dive
    I just feel he didnt give himself the chance to get further across
    A saying I use frequently in training sessions is "Quick hands are no good without quick feet"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Oooohhhh I'd say Hodson is $hitting himself. No please no, BR is upset and won't bless me with the radiance of those nice shiny teeth next time I meet him :rolleyes:

Why? What actual difference would it make to Hodgson if BR withdrew his co-operation? BTW, in what way are managers supposed to co-operate?

The next time he was at Anfield watching a match, he'd have to sit in the poor seats and we know how much he hates that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

wcarey1975 wrote: »
    I thought he traveled with the team to the Basel game.

He was sitting with them in a pic that Enrique tweeted last night, but I dunno if the youth team were in the cheap seats of the same flight? Both teams playing in Basel today, but maybe with a few CMs injured, he might make the bench?
    That would be great...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

So what would you have BR do? Whether he'll be overruled or not, the chap is showing some backbone and doing his best to protect our star player.

Starting 11 for Basel U19s

R. Fulton/
    D. Cleary/J. Maguire/A. O'Hanlon/T. Brewitt
    S. Hart/O. Ojo/J. Rossiter/C. Brannagan/R. Kent
    J. Sinclair

Clearly not in the squad for tonight then.

Subs A. Firth/Sergi Canós/H. Wilson/A. Phillips/Pedro Chirivella /C. Whelan/W. Marsh

Starting 11 for Basel U19s

R. Fulton/
    D. Cleary/J. Maguire/A. O'Hanlon/T. Brewitt
    S. Hart/O. Ojo/J. Rossiter/C. Brannagan/R. Kent
    J. Sinclair

Clearly not in the squad for tonight then.

Subs A. Firth/Sergi Canós/H. Wilson/A. Phillips/Pedro Chirivella /C. Whelan/W. Marsh

Not sure about the positions...

R. Fulton
    J. Maguire-D. Cleary-T. Brewitt-S. Hart
    R.Kent-J. Rossiter-A. O'Hanlon-O.Ojo
    C. Brannagan
    J. Sinclair

Dunno though - Maguire, Hart and O'Hanlon are all flexible.
    Very good side though. Kent seems to have overtaken Wilson for now, he's physically more advanced so can handle the step up.
    2 Irish in there as well!

• Advertisement

Looks about right though I'd go with 4-2-3-1 myself. No streams that I can see, so twitter it is then. Was just on the Leverkusen site - their game is being streamed for free, off to check if Basel fc are showing it.

Would like to see Phillips get some time. He's more an attacking playmaker than Rossiter, they should work very well together. I still see Rossiter a few steps ahead, but I wouldn't be surprised if Phillips got a lot of U21 starts this year (considering he's only 16!)

Is Jordan Lussey injured, seems like while since I saw him.

Live updates http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/live-liverpool-fc-news-views-7849656

No idea, he's too old for this anyway, turns 20 next month. I predict a rest-of-season loan whenever he gets back, and I don't think we'll see him back. He's a good player, but if he was going to break through, he'd have done it by now...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Is the FC Basel Youth vs Liverpool Youth Game not being shown?

Is the FC Basel Youth vs Liverpool Youth Game not being shown?

Seems not. Though I do have a link, its blank. If it should come to life....etc ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Seems not. Though I do have a link, its blank. If it should come to life....etc ;)

I think I have the same link, still no action from it.

Basel have scored - Itten their CF :(

edit you can keep up with score on flashscore or go to https://twitter.com/DavidTriggs78

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

I've already said that.

Breaking news, something gets said twice in an internet forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I've already said that.

clapping-hands.jpg?w=652

Sounds like the ref is a homer.....Liverpool knocking on Basels door though.

1-1, Sinclair header from a Wilson cross.

Not sure yet about Sinclair, hasn't got a single dominant trait (Owen-like speed, Sterling-like trickery, or physical presence), but he keeps scoring goals...

Make that 2-1, Sinclair again!

Rossiter off for Chirivella, so I guess Rossi will only play about 60 mins tonight... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Jordan Williams will probably be involved someway tonight then if he didn't play with the u-19s?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Dickerty wrote: »
    1-1, Sinclair header from a Wilson cross.

Not sure yet about Sinclair, hasn't got a single dominant trait (Owen-like speed, Sterling-like trickery, or physical presence), but he keeps scoring goals...

Adam Morgan scored a bucket load as well, very hard to judge the development of a striker in the youth set up.

I am pie wrote: »
    Adam Morgan scored a bucket load as well, very hard to judge the development of a striker in the youth set up.

Yeh, that's what I mean - lacking a single stand-out attribute, it's hard to know whether he'll make it...

2-2, another set piece goal. :mad:

klose wrote: »
    Jordan Williams will probably be involved someway tonight then if he didn't play with the u-19s?

It think he is too old, need to be U18 on Jan 1st I believe, he was 18 last Nov.

Bloody 3-2. We concede 2 after replacing Rossiter with Chirivella, who is meant to be the more defensive player...

Sounds like an exciting game - never a lack of goals with this lot. No defenders :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Sounds like an exciting game - never a lack of goals with this lot. No defenders :p

Same as the senior team so.

Frank-Underwood-Eye-roll-GIF.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

gafferino wrote: »
    Same as the senior team so.

Except Sakho can't be blamed here :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Someone will find a way to blame him :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Can Mignolet? Someone has to answer in ultra slow motion HD replay.

x43r0 wrote: »
    Someone will find a way to blame him :pac:

Where is Fescue?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Dickerty wrote: »
    Where is Fescue?? :D

Sakho is so awkward on the ball, it's got to have a negative effect on the younger defenders at the club.

Fescue wrote: »
    Sakho is so awkward on the ball, it's got to have a negative effect on the younger defenders at the club.

Also he keeps breaking the gym equipment, so they aren't able to work on their physical conditioning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Also he keeps breaking the gym equipment, so they aren't able to work on their physical conditioning.

I heard he miscontrolled the medicine ball so awkwardly it exploded and killed two members of the under 9's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Im quite confident about this game until it starts and then the dread and horror kicks in and I dont want to know about football for 4 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I heard he miscontrolled the medicine ball so awkwardly it exploded and killed two members of the under 9's.

Mig tried to stop it but was too low to reach the ball. Again..

• Advertisement

No that was hendo's knees. The prophecy was true.

So what would you have BR do? Whether he'll be overruled or not, the chap is showing some backbone and doing his best to protect our star player.

I totally disagree with you SG. All BR has done is set up a public power struggle he cannot win. FIFA love their international tournaments and national managers don't need permission from club managers to do anything. BR's statement will just be a red rag to a bull and force Hodgson to demonstrate that he's not going to be told what to do by the LFC manager becuase if he lets BR determine whether a player can play for England or not the flood gates will open and they'll all be at it. During International breaks Sturridge isn't exclusively a Liverpool player, he's also an England player and England trump LFC. End of. BR's little outburst will blow up in his face.

What BR should have done is sit Sturridge down and tell him he's not playing in the England matches Fergie style and back that up with a little comment after the West Brom game that Sturridge is "feeling his hamstring" or "has a little muscle tear" i.e. code for "I've told Sturrdige he's not playing these stupid fcuking qualifiers and if you ask him he's going to confirm he's injured so don't embarrass yourself by calling him up as no amount of scanning will get Sturridge to say he isn't feeling his hamstring/muscle"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

I totally disagree with you SG. All BR has done is set up a public power struggle he cannot win. FIFA love their international tournaments and national managers don't need permission from club managers to do anything. BR's statement will just be a red rag to a bull and force Hodgson to demonstrate that he's not going to be told what to do by the LFC manager becuase if he lets BR determine whether a player can play for England or not the flood gates will open and they'll all be at it. During International breaks Sturridge isn't exclusively a Liverpool player, he's also an England player and England trump LFC. End of. BR's little outburst will blow up in his face.

What BR should have done is sit Sturridge down and tell him he's not playing in the England matches Fergie style and back that up with a little comment after the West Brom game that Sturridge is "feeling his hamstring" or "has a little muscle tear" i.e. code for "I've told Sturrdige he's not playing these stupid fcuking qualifiers and if you ask him he's going to confirm he's injured so don't embarrass yourself by calling him up as no amount of scanning will get Sturridge to say he isn't feeling his hamstring/muscle"

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you.......................MAX ****ING CLIFFORD! How's them cells there Max?

mosstin wrote: »
    Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you.......................MAX ****ING CLIFFORD! How's them cells there Max?

Mosstin,

Given Max's recent conviction for being a sex offender I respectfully request that you withdraw that comment. Even made in jest (and I very much hope it was made in jest) it is not something I ever want to be associated with, even on an internet forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Mosstin,

Given Max's recent conviction for being a sex offender I respectfully request that you withdraw that comment. Even made in jest (and I very much hope it was made in jest) it is not something I ever want to be associated with, even on an internet forum.

Touchy?

Touchy?
    Yes, I believe that's exactly what Max Clifford was convicted of and worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Ballotelli up top on his tod again. Sigh.

Interestingly tho. Welcome back Enrique :)

Markowicz.

No entiendo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Vicxas wrote: »
    Ballotelli up top on his tod again. Sigh.

Interestingly tho. Welcome back Enrique :)

I find it bizarre that he's dropped Lallana and put Markovic in.

• Advertisement

mosstin wrote: »
    I find it bizarre that he's dropped Lallana and put Markovic in.

Not the midfielder that needed to be rested in fairness.

Well, Marko...gaffer has backed you, time to give a little back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement