Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Near comical?? You should watch the game again.

Lovren made 4 tackles during the game and won 3 of them.

There was only one mix up between the two players and that created Chadli's chance before half-time.

The passing in the first half wasn't the best but Gerrard was also guilty of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Lovren almost seems to be trying too hard at times. Lunging in when he would be better off to hold position.
    Lots of quality from him though. Think he will turn out to be a great signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Haven't seen this posted yet.

I watched the game again tonight, Lovren dived in three times during the game - one of those he was caught out in the 18 yard box and Gerrard made the recovery.

For a defence that never played together before they weren't bad, to expect the to click together at this stage of the season is a bit much. The new full backs were impressive and are up for the physicality of the league. The goalkeeper is my primary concern - Mignolet almost played Chadli in for a goal early in the game (around 5 minutes) he was later caught in no man's land by Adebayor who should have scored.

The defence still needs work, that cannot be denied, Southampton and Man City both were able to cause us problems but Tottenham were never setup to do so. The diamond midfield nullified Lamela, Eriksen and Chadli so Adebayor was left without support. In contrast Tottenham's inability to deal with runs from Liverpool's midfield resulted in 3 goals being conceded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

I'm going to throw this out there, but does anybody else think that maybe our back line has switched off a bit in the last while because they expected the rest of the team to dig them out by outscoring the opposition?

The entire team has enough faith in their ability to get the result. Rodgers has instilled that. He afforded himself a laugh over Balotelli's miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

ush wrote: »
    The entire team has enough faith in their ability to get the result. Rodgers has instilled that. He afforded himself a laugh over Balotelli's miss.

I didn't appreciate Rodgers laughing at the Balo and Sterling misses, found it a little disrespectful to the opposition abd we nearly lost the league on gd last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I didn't appreciate Rodgers laughing at the Balo and Sterling misses, found it a little disrespectful to the opposition abd we nearly lost the league on gd last year

I agree. When he laughed at the Balotelli miss my monocle nearly popped into my cup of green tea i was so horrified! I immediately wrote a strongly worded letter to Mr Rodgers to put him in his place. Imagine, laughing at a miss......

• Advertisement

Imagine all the lauughs we have missed from various managers over the years?

Laugh-cam is needed asap.

Someone needs to save those children also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭ratracer

I also laughed at Balo's miss, it was rather comical :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭ratracer

This is an interesting little snippet from the bbc today :
    Ton-up Rodgers
    Brendan Rodgers took charge of his 100th match as Liverpool boss, and his record stands at won 56, drawn 21 and lost 23. Only Kenny Dalglish (62) has won more in his first century of matches as Reds manager. Bill Shankly and Rafa Benitez both also won 56.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Hope to see Coates, Lucas, Ryan McLaughlin and Suso loaned out and Assaidi and Borini sold, maybe a clause in Borini's contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

ratracer wrote: »
    Ton-up Rodgers
    Brendan Rodgers took charge of his 100th match as Liverpool boss, and his record stands at won 56, drawn 21 and lost 23. Only Kenny Dalglish (62) has won more in his first century of matches as Reds manager. Bill Shankly and Rafa Benitez both also won 56.

Thats quite a benchmark Rogers has achieved, to be right up there with Daglish, Shanklys and Benitez's stats is highly impressive given LFC is the first big club he has managed. Also given that Daglish, Shankly and Benitez all won trophies for the club with similar win ratios it stands us in good stead for future likelihood of silverware during the Rogers reign.

Well done BR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Anyone with a link to last nights MOTD2?

Ben

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

BenThere wrote: »
    Anyone with a link to last nights MOTD2?

Ben

Won't be up till Tuesday morning on BBC iplayer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

ratracer wrote: »
    Ton-up Rodgers

I would say that Ridgers 56 wins from 100 is more impressive than Rafa's and Dalglish. Both of those started out in stronger positions than Rodgers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I would say that Ridgers 56 wins from 100 is more impressive than Rafa's and Dalglish. Both of those started out in stronger positions than Rodgers.

Woah now hold on a minute, dont forget that Rafa had Djimi Traore in his team, that makes Rafa extra Special :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Using a pass completion stat to defend Sakho is beyond straw clutching.

He has been very disappointing to date. Hopefully he turns it around over the next few weeks. Why everyone can't just echo that sentiment instead of pretending he has done ok, is beyond me.

I'd have to agree.

I counted three very dangerous misplaced passes in our own third of the pitch. One of which was only saved by a last minute Lovren tackle.

I was calling for him to start but to say he always seems to have a mistake in him is an understatement. It is only a matter of time before we are punished for one of his misplaced passes.

He needs alot of training ground work with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

From Football365's conclusions on the Spurs v Liverpool match;
    The youngest player on the pitch at White Hart Lane was also comfortably the most impressive - Sterling is improving at a faster rate than any other player in England

This is now not just one of the best young English players, nor even in the Premier League. Sterling's performances for the past year have been so impressive that he must be considered one of Europe's brightest young stars, capable of reaching a level beyond any England winger since Stanley Matthews. If that sounds hyperbolic, then I do not apologise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

the worst thing about sakho is players from other teams are catching on that he's no that comfortable on the ball and today I noticed spurs closing him down quicker than other players. Skrtl is a much better option IMO,A mad part of me would like to see us sign another cb before the deadline.

That's what's really worrying. I just cannot understand people saying he is good. I remember posting around world cup time about what a worry he is on the ball and people came back with his pass completion stats. As far as I can see, he is a headless chicken. He charges in for stuff when Lovren is already committed, leaving gaps, he's a passing liability. Hopefully we will see some massive improvements, or Skrtel back, sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

John Obi Mikel had the best passing stats in the league one year and was in the top 3 the next. Anybody who has watched him play knows he is woeful passer and a ten yard simple pass under no pressure is the only thing he can do.

Stats can be misleading. Sakho does look sketchy with the ball. Enough people have noticed it.

Having said that, it's an area of the game he can definitely improve on. And he has strengths in other areas. I would stick with him....I certainly wouldnt be panic buying another CB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Game time and a settled back four will help Sakho as well as Mignolet. I think yesterday's back four is our best option, let's see where they are after 9 or 10 games together.

A defenders first port of call is to defend and Sakho is much better at that than Skrtel.

He's not super comfortable with ball at feet but people go overboard on this imo. He's a good defender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Sahko's best attribute is his defending that tackle he had on Ade is a perfect example in the second half but it was given offside anyway. I'm sure he will improve on the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Hope to see Coates, Lucas, Ryan McLaughlin and Suso loaned out and Assaidi and Borini sold, maybe a clause in Borini's contract

Suso needs to sign an extension first, only has a year left on his deal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

rarnes1 wrote: »
    A defenders first port of call is to defend and Sakho is much better at that than Skrtel.

He's not super comfortable with ball at feet but people go overboard on this imo. He's a good defender.

Three misplaced passes in our own third yesterday.

Its not like we are using the numerous examples from last season here to make a point.

I am not sure it is possible to go overboard on this. Given his reasonably short time at Liverpool, the amount of dangerous misplaced passes he has made has been crazy.

"Not super comfortable witht he ball at his feet" doesn't go "overboard" enough imo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

noodler wrote: »
    Three misplaced passes in our own third yesterday.

Its not like we are using the numerous examples from last season here to make a point.

I am not sure it is possible to go overboard on this. Given his reasonably short time at Liverpool, the amount of dangerous misplaced passes he has made has been crazy.

"Not super comfortable witht he ball at his feet" doesn't go "overboard" enough imo!

Yesterday was probably his worst game for us, having said that aside from the misplaced passes in the second half he done ok, his potential is far above that of skittles IMO, he just needs a decent run of games with lovren to iron out some of the silly errors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Sahko's first competitive game since the World Cup, there's bound to be teething problems. A good run of games and then reassess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Eh united look to be signing Falcao, I'll be worried if they get there act together soon. Still think we can finish 3rd though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I have been one of Sakho's biggest critics but yesterday was just as much Lovren at fault for the dodgy looking defence. I do think in time that back 4 may end being our strongest so hopefully a run of games together will iron out the cobwebs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Anyone have a link for last nights MOTD? Please PM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

rob316 wrote: »
    Eh united look to be signing Falcao, I'll be worried if they get there act together soon. Still think we can finish 3rd though.
    Falcao is 29 & has looked poor since coming back. He will still score some goals but he won't be the player he was imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Jaysus Falcao to United. World Class player but can't help thinking its not what they need.

Anyways, the latest rumours are Victor Valdes to come in. Hes a free agent. Was never his biggest fan but would definitely take him. Would provide at least good back up to Mignolet and has enough quality to challenge for number 1 spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Its a serious bit of business if the pull it off. They need to invest in other areas IMO. Why didnt Liverpool take a chance? Too expensive loan deal? Or doesnt fit with the plans for youth going forward?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Would prefer Romero to Valdes, but I'd happily take any half decent keeper if the price is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Jaysus that was out of left field! Well they can afford him and his wages in fairness. Apparently its because RVP requires surgery.
    Anyway it still doesnt address their CM or defensive issues. Hopefully they will continue their form for the next few weeks at least which might leave them with too much to do.

Great team performance yesterday. It could have been more than 3 and only the one real chance for Spurs. What was great to see (and in the first half versus City) was some of last years form coming through. If we can keep that going and get the new lads settled we should be able to keep pace at the top. These are our upcoming PL fixtures to Nov 1st:

Villa (H)
    West Ham (A)
    Everton (H)
    West Brom (H)
    QPR (A)
    Hull (H)
    Newcastle (A)

We need to build momentum up over the next 2 months and its as good a fixtures schedule as we'll get.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Leaving it to transfer dealine day to sign Reus. Nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

GBX wrote: »
    Its a serious bit of business if the pull it off. They need to invest in other areas IMO. Why didnt Liverpool take a chance? Too expensive loan deal? Or doesnt fit with the plans for youth going forward?

Let them have him, will they be playing him at the back ????:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Utd will have to play the classic WM formation

----CB--CB--CB
    DM-DM
    AM-AM
    ---FW--FW--FW

about 5-3 win or lose every game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

honestly, not that bothered about Falcao to Utd unless the rest of their spine, and the pace of their play, significantly improves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Lads is there any Deadline day stream/radio station etc that I could listen to while at work?

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Crazy talk.

2004/5 - Benitez inherited a bunch of Houllier's misfits.

Dudek - dodgy keeper
    Kirkland - made of glass
    Henchoz - crocked defender
    Traore - bambi on ice??
    Kewell - crocked star player
    Biscan - ??
    Diao - ??
    Diouf - ??
    Cisse - ??
    Owen - he who had already lined up a move to Spain

Five of those won a European Cup against all the odds but that does not mean they were good players.

Building blocks Benitez had to work with:
    Finnan, Hyypia, Carragher, Riise, Hamann, Gerrard

Benitez left Rodgers in a better position:
    Reina, Agger, Skrtel, Johnson, Carragher, Gerrard & Lucas
    Future prospects:
    Kelly, Flanagan, Robinson, Shelvey, Suso & Sterling
    Dalglish added these:
    Enrique, Coates, Henderson & Suarez

There is a world of difference between the quality of the squad and the youth players that Rodgers inherited and that which Benitez started with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

joe123 wrote: »
    Lads is there any Deadline day stream/radio station etc that I could listen to while at work?

Talksport spending most of the day on this.

http://talksport.com/radioplayer/live/?rpSt=talksport&rpSrp=1.0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

SlickRic wrote: »
    honestly, not that bothered about Falcao to Utd unless the rest of their spine, and the pace of their play, significantly improves.

I think it's fair to say that with Mata, Di Maria, Rooney and Falcao, they will improve on the attacking front. But he needs to dump the back 3 idea, firm up the defence on the wings, to have any chance of winning games regularly..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

SlickRic wrote: »

How many more times are we going to say this every time united sign someone. Falcao and Di Maria are absolutlely amazing sigings of them. They are slowly upgrading almost every area of their team.

I would have much rathered Falcao than ballotelli to be honest. Having said that im happier falcao is going to united and not arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

gafferino wrote: »
    Jaysus that was out of left field! Well they can afford him and his wages in fairness. Apparently its because RVP requires surgery.
    Anyway it still doesnt address their CM or defensive issues. Hopefully they will continue their form for the next few weeks at least which might leave them with too much to do.

Great team performance yesterday. It could have been more than 3 and only the one real chance for Spurs. What was great to see (and in the first half versus City) was some of last years form coming through. If we can keep that going and get the new lads settled we should be able to keep pace at the top. These are our upcoming PL fixtures to Nov 1st:

Villa (H)
    West Ham (A)
    Everton (H)
    West Brom (H)
    QPR (A)
    Hull (H)
    Newcastle (A)

We need to build momentum up over the next 2 months and its as good a fixtures schedule as we'll get.

Yeah, found myself turning to the fixture list for the first time last night since Spurs - hadn't looked ahead of GW3 until now, not sure why!

Anyway, this is a fantastic run-in, and even allowing for an outlier loss of points (there's generally always one!), 16-18 points would be realistic, with a draw against Everton and then a surprise loss/draw somewhere along the way. Now, you never know, anything can happen, but as long as we go above 14 in the period, we'll start to build up a nice head of steam anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

GBX wrote: »

I'd imagine his €10m net wage demands were the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

viper006 wrote: »
    How many more times are we going to say this every time united sign someone. Falcao and Di Maria are absolutlely amazing sigings of them. They are slowly upgrading almost every area of their team.

I would have much rathered Falcao than ballotelli to be honest. Having said that im happier falcao is going to united and not arsenal.

Meh, I'm honestly not too bothered about Falcao - and it's not sour grapes. He's 28, dodgy knee, has been on the wane for a while, might bang in some goals for them, but will have to be starting every week too. Balotelli - again, I wasn't a huge fan of the signing - gives us options. He's 24. Wasn't crazy expensive. Has impressed me so far.

Falcao wanted 10m in wage a year, Balotelli is presumably on closer to 5m (I'm ignoring the claims that he took half his wages as it's murky, we know he was on 5m, so I'll stick with that). Significant difference. Especially when you add up their strikeforce wages and ours - Rooney is on around 15m a year, RVP 12.2m, Falcao 10m. Sturridge? 3.3m in 2012, was "set to double" at end of season gone, so presume it's around 7m now. LFC strikeforce costs us 12m per year, MUFCs costs 37.2m per year - and they can't even play all three of them at once! It's insane.

Now, Di Maria on the other hand, I'd snap your arm off for. But ultimately United have spent upwards of £100m this summer, and for what? 2 points and an early cup exit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Talisman wrote: »
    Crazy talk.

2004/5 - Benitez inherited a bunch of Houllier's misfits.

Dudek - dodgy keeper
    Kirkland - made of glass
    Henchoz - crocked defender
    Traore - bambi on ice??
    Kewell - crocked star player
    Biscan - ??
    Diao - ??
    Diouf - ??
    Cisse - ??
    Owen - he who had already lined up a move to Spain

Five of those won a European Cup against all the odds but that does not mean they were good players.

Building blocks Benitez had to work with:
    Finnan, Hyypia, Carragher, Riise, Hamann, Gerrard

Benitez left Rodgers in a better position:
    Reina, Agger, Skrtel, Johnson, Carragher, Gerrard & Lucas
    Future prospects:
    Kelly, Flanagan, Robinson, Shelvey, Suso & Sterling
    Dalglish added these:
    Enrique, Coates, Henderson & Suarez

There is a world of difference between the quality of the squad and the youth players that Rodgers inherited and that which Benitez started with.

Benitez inherited a team with a terrific spine to it – Hyypia, Henchoz, Carragher, Finnan, Hamman, Gerrard, Owen (albeit sold in Rafa’s first summer)

Sure, Rodgers inherited some good players too – Suarez in particular, but in the main he inherited a bloated, overpaid, ageing squad. Our attack was creaking with Bellamy, Kuyt, Maxi, Carroll not performing.

He has completely transformed the profile of the squad, where we are now the youngest team in the league, playing some of the best football in the league.

The three seasons before Rafa came in Liverpool’s average position was 3rd/4th.
    The three seasons before Rodgers came in Liverpool’s average position was 7th.

Rafa did a great job at Liverpool, but I think it’s fair to say he came in to a slightly better position than Rodgers.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement