Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

I think BR needs to rip up his formations and start again.

Current setup will finish outside top 4 quite easily and outside the knockout stages of the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Can Rodgers do this without suarez?

Massive questions. Can he actually make a decent attacking unit without a world class attacker?

Jury is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

Sterling Borini up front vs West Brom for me....can't be as bad we have been .At least they will create movement and space. Lallana , Lucas and Henderson in mid....

I'd have Borini and Lambert up front and drop Sterling. With 5 at the back Gerrard, Henderson and Lallana can be accommodated in midfield and Manquillo and Moreno can get up and down the wings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

noodler wrote: »

Massive questions. Can he actually make a decent attacking unit without a world class attacker?

Jury is out.

More importantly he can't do it without Sturridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

rarnes1 wrote: »

Current setup will finish outside top 4 quite easily and outside the knockout stages of the CL.

On current form that side won't finish top half

darced wrote: »
    Jesus Rarnes you are really droning on about this Balottelli thing,give him a bit more time at least before proclaiming how you told us all.

He is 100% right.

It is not jus his own poor performances, it is the effect he has on the team spirit and his indiscipline with refs. Not to mention his selfishness.

He will be gone by next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Ara Barca can't ye loan us back Suarez in January! Ye hardly need him with Messi and Neymar in the squad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Jury is out.

Careful now, there's going to be plenty of people armed with long treatises about how Sturridge is out and new signings and bedding in and it's not that bad and who cares anyway cause we had a great season last year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Mr Alan wrote: »
    They're doing nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Ah here, lallana is coming along nicely, the full backs look promising,lovren could be better , markovic and balo need to up their game seriously.

Lets all calm the fcuk down, last year was a freak year, we got ahead of ourselves, our aim should be top 4 this year, and build again. The future is bright people. Believe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Jury is out.
    Think your forgetting Rodgers actually greatly improved Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I feel sorry for Sterling in all this. He is a top, top class player, but all of a sudden he finds himself in a team where the other players just aren't on the same wavelength as him. When Sterling is looking to play the ball, none of the players around him are making the overlapping runs or pull players out of position. When other players have the ball, they aren't breaking forward quick enough and opposition defenders just have too much time to organise. As the weeks have went on, he's just looked a very frustrated figure and the whole situation has affect his confidence and decision making.

Right now, people can say Markovic or Balotelli have done well, but the fact is they have looked poor reflections on what we had last season (Suarez and Sturridge). It's obviously still very early days, but if our goal is going to be top 4 and a decent run in the Champions League, then Markovic and Balotelli both have to up their games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

You need to be compact in Europe and we are wide open. Midfield is a shambles, teams run right through the middle of us. Too many players who are supposedly technically good on the ball (supposedly) but we are an absolute shambles out of possession, the lack of ability to win possession is frightening.

Rodgers may not be cut out to manage a large squad, having to tinker with the first XI to keep everyone fresh. He blundered last season when tinkering with the first XI on a few occasions, we steamrolled teams last season playing virtually the same team every weekend but it's a different story when you forced to choose how to use a squad and when the team doesn't pick itself.

His philosophy looks good on paper but our midfield is critically bad. The defence is exposed by lack of protection on top of their own frailties.

Steven Gerrard in his current role is redundant when the opposition have the lions share of possession, I don't care how many people remind me how good he has been for us, the lad is a liability in his current position. You cannot play this cavalier system against teams in Europe that have discipline tactically.

The blueprint is there now to stop us playing, get everyone behind the ball and stop us breaking quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

I'd like to see Couthino and Lallana on the pitch at the same time. Too many of our players are afraid to carry the ball forward. Gerrard and Henderson just seem to want to spread it wide even when there is no pressure on them.

Jesus Rarnes you are really droning on about this Balottelli thing,give him a bit more time at least before proclaiming how you told us all.

He is 100% right.

It is not jus his own poor performances, it is the effect he has on the team spirit and his indiscipline with refs. Not to mention his selfishness.

He will be gone by next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Jury is out.

Suarez became world class under rodgers in fairness, as for the rest we will have to see. 9 games is a fairly negligible sample size, sturridge is last seasons suarez, vital player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

slingerz wrote: »
    I'd have Borini and Lambert up front and drop Sterling. With 5 at the back Gerrard, Henderson and Lallana can be accommodated in midfield and Manquillo and Moreno can get up and down the wings

Gerrard and Lambert in same side. Might as well start with 9 men!! ;)

Seriously though Sterling is better higher up the pitch. At 19 getting into the positions he got into tonight ...yes his finishing let him down but he was in the position.

I'd give Lucas 90 mins. We need a scrapper in there now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Glock Lesnar

Hello, first time poster but long time admirer.

Decided to take UTD as my team when I started to follow football late last month, but still have interest in Liverpool as my Dad is from there (even if he walked out when I was 8)

As I understand the Liverpool sold Suarez and bought several players with his money, it seems to me that he should have been replaced by players with Uefa Champions league experience given that the Liverpool hope to mount a challenge on this tournament this year, why was he replaced by playes unfamiliar with european football?

All the best and respect to your club
    GL

This post has been deleted.

In fairness you harped on about Lucas for years!

Look, I don't rate Ballotelli. Plenty don't. I was shocked when Rodgers signed him as he is so far from a Rodgers type player. If it was Lambert of Borini up there they'd be getting slaughtered by everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Unpopular: Rodgers looking rather hapless lately

Well, he's going to Continue looking Hapless, if he's going to Insist playing Gerrard 90m every Game we have.

We can't Babysit Gerrard, specially not with this Attack.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

MD1990 wrote: »
    Think your forgetting Rodgers actually greatly improved Suarez.

I think Suarez mostly improved Suarez.

Oh Jesus

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I'm going to form my own football club with blackjack and hookers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

If one player could destroy the team spirit that easily then the spirit was never that strong enough in the first place.

5starpool wrote: »
    I think Suarez mostly improved Suarez.
    So Henderson,Sterling,Flanagan & Sturridge all improved by themselves too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Careful now, there's going to be plenty of people armed with long treatises about how Sturridge is out and new signings and bedding in and it's not that bad and who cares anyway cause we had a great season last year...

So we should ignore this completely? Theres no middle ground is there.

Poor start to the season but plenty of reasons to think we'll turn it around. Some posters are ****ing clueless and jump on the team and manager all the time.

So just because I'm not starting from a negative point of view waiting to be proved wrong by our manager and new signings like yourself, it doesn't mean posters like me think everything is fine. Its just that i dont feel like bitching about everything negative all the ****ing time and have faith that the players and manager will get it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

I see two big problems with the team at the moment.

Our two defensive midfielders are not capable of playing as defensive midfielders.

Our lone centre forward is not capable of playing as a lone centre forward.

We lack pace, we lack power and worst of all we lack intensity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

One thing that really worries me is that Markovic just doesn't seem up for it at all. He just seems overawed or is just simply shrinking away for the fight. It's something that can be changed much like it was with Hendo mind, but obviously he needs to start showing more and soon.

And was it just me or did Coutinho blank Rodgers' handshake when he was subbed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Next Five league games are
    West Brom (H)
    QPR (A)
    Hull (H)
    Newcastle (A)
    Chelsea (H)

You would hope the team is somewhere settled. sturridge will give us some pace when he comes back and he has to have a partner up front.
    Johnson Lovren Sakho Moreno
    Gerard
    henderson Allen
    Sturridge Ballotelli Sterling

Great thing about suarez is he wouldn't of tolerated that ****e he won't have tore strips of them
    Gerrard only shouts when he's playing well other wise he says nowt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

Augmerson wrote: »
    I'm going to form my own football club with blackjack and hookers.

Screw the football. And the blackjack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

slingerz wrote: »

The thing about getting beaten is that people get away with saying the most ridiculous things. Drop Sterling? Seriously? Practically the only player on the pitch tonight who had the cojones to want the ball even when everything was going against him. I like the guy even more after nights like tonight actually.
    If Borini and Lambert are the answer, I, for one, am afraid to ask the ****ing question.

Sterling is **** now, where have you been?

Some players are on their way to greatness because talent trumps all. Suarez was just going to where he is now, Rodgers would have influenced it by degrees.

Sterling and Flanagan in much more formative years under Rodgers, his influence probably substantial there alright.

But who cares? Gotta win games. We haven't been doing much of that without Suarez unfortunately. Bottom line.

One thing that really worries me is that Markovic just doesn't seem up for it at all. He just seems overawed or is just simply shrinking away for the fight. It's something that can be changed much like it was with Hendo mind, but obviously he needs to start showing more and soon.

I'm pretty sure markovic is colour blind he should definetly get an eye test asap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Decided to take UTD as my team when I started to follow football late last month, but still have interest in Liverpool as my Dad is from there (even if he walked out when I was 8)

As I understand the Liverpool sold Suarez and bought several players with his money, it seems to me that he should have been replaced by players with Uefa Champions league experience given that the Liverpool hope to mount a challenge on this tournament this year, why was he replaced by playes unfamiliar with european football?

GL

gw-idireps.gif

Markovic at least was more involved. His final ball was quite poor at times though. He's so young and inexperienced.

Senior players & Manager are to blame for this mess particularly the latter.

It was just you. None was offered so none was refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

GL

Did you know Martin 'The General' Cahill? Was he sound? Did the media paint him all wrong?

Regards

Hangballlouie

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm not saying that none of it was down to coaching, but in Suarez's case I think he'd have become a beast under nearly any manager.

It's still fairly early in the season, but a lot of damage is being done so far. If we don't sort things out in the next month we could be in for a dismal season.

We can still turn this around but it seems obvious now that Sturridge is instrumental to how we are trying to play.

• Advertisement

NukaCola wrote: »
    So we should ignore this completely? Theres no middle ground is there.

Poor start to the season but plenty of reasons to think we'll turn it around. Some posters are ****ing clueless and jump on the team and manager all the time.

So just because I'm not starting from a negative point of view waiting to be proved wrong by our manager and new signings like yourself, it doesn't mean posters like me think everything is fine. Its just that i dont feel like bitching about everything negative all the ****ing time and have faith that the players and manager will get it right.

Have I done that thus far this season? I think I've been pretty reserved all told.

This is now six poor performances on the trot. Forget about results for a second. Six subpar performances. I think six bad games in a row and only one really useful performance thus far this season is a reasonable point to start asking questions. This isn't 'Lloyd is a dick' time imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Those thinking that Rodgers made Suarez world class are deluded.

Suarez was on his way before and Rodgers found a way to get the team playing around him that maximised his powers.

Special players like that will be great no matter who they are managed by.

Anyhow not the issue at hand. Big question is now what does Rodgers do with his current team?

mosstin wrote: »
    The thing about getting beaten is that people get away with saying the most ridiculous things. Drop Sterling? Seriously? Practically the only player on the pitch tonight who had the cojones to want the ball even when everything was going against him. I like the guy even more after nights like tonight actually.
    If Borini and Lambert are the answer, I, for one, am afraid to ask the ****ing question.
    Sometimes I don't think we deserve to have good players at all with the way some fans treat them.

Sterling is the best player we have in this team and we're lucky to have him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Can't remember what pizza tasted like.

Bring back Roy Evans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

When Suarez was told to train alone for trying to force a move to Arsenal he hit a new level. If anything BR and the team hampered his progress.

Markovic at least was more involved. His final ball was quite poor at times though. He's so young and inexperienced.
    He's also nearly a year older than Sterling.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Those thinking that Rodgers made Suarez world class are deluded.

Suarez was on his way before and Rodgers found a way to get the team playing around him that maximised his powers.

Special players like that will be great no matter who they are managed by.

Anyhow not the issue at hand. Big question is now what does Rodgers do with his current team?
    You just contradicted yourself there.

Sometimes I don't think we deserve to have good players at all with the way some fans treat them.

Sterling is the best player we have in this team and we're lucky to have him.

It's the scattergun criticism which baffles me. Sterling sees lots of the ball, let down by a poor touch, sure, therefore he's ****. Ridiculous stuff. He was the only player for us tonight who looked like doing anything. The fact that he didn't doesn't mean that he was ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Rodgers was a one season wonder!

The dozen or so games this season has proved that he tactically inept.

Worst fans ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

Gerrard and Lambert in same side. Might as well start with 9 men!! ;)

Seriously though Sterling is better higher up the pitch. At 19 getting into the positions he got into tonight ...yes his finishing let him down but he was in the position.

I'd give Lucas 90 mins. We need a scrapper in there now.

Lambert will be a focal point that Balotelli won't be though. Lambert did a good job for Southamptin last season so can't have dis improved so much over the summer

Sterling needs a rest really. I'd give Suso an outing too sometimes.

Playing with wing backs would allow us to use Moreno and Manquillo to the best of their abilities

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement