Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Suarez out!

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Have I done that thus far this season? I think I've been pretty reserved all told.

This is now six poor performances on the trot. Forget about results for a second. Six subpar performances. I think six bad games in a row and only one really useful performance thus far this season is a reasonable point to start asking questions. This isn't 'Lloyd is a dick' time imo.

1 good game in 10.

A team that almost won the title last year.

It's 2002-2003 / 2009-2010 all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

mosstin wrote: »
    It's the scattergun criticism which baffles me. Sterling sees lots of the ball, let down by a poor touch, sure, therefore he's ****. Ridiculous stuff. He was the only player for us tonight who looked like doing anything. The fact that he didn't doesn't mean that he was ****.

Sterling was ****e tonight??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

It was just you. None was offered so none was refused.

Fair enough, I thought Rodgers motioned for a handshake and Coutinho didn't even look at him. I'm probably just reading too much into it, but it's the last thing we need if the players are beginning to dissent (Sakho being first).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

slingerz wrote: »
    Sterling was ****e tonight??

Best of a very bad lot for me. Who was better?

He's also nearly a year older than Sterling.

and?

He's 20 and played 5 games for the club.

Players out there with a lot of top level games under their belts that are performing as bad/worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Balotelli kept coming deep to pick up the ball which is fine if he can turn and run at a defence with it but he can't.

Numerous times Coutinho was looking to play a central pass where you know Sturridge would have been but Balotelli was nowhere near.

After a number of 1 on 1 sessions in training he's still not getting it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Have I done that thus far this season? I think I've been pretty reserved all told.

This is now six poor performances on the trot. Forget about results for a second. Six subpar performances. I think six bad games in a row and only one really useful performance thus far this season is a reasonable point to start asking questions. This isn't 'Lloyd is a dick' time imo.

Its completely reasonable to ask questions. This has been going on for weeks now though after the first poor result, some people couldn't wait to get started truth be told.

Also, with regards my comment on people being negative all the time wasn't directed at you, but coming from a negative point of view ie wanting to be proved wrong by players and the manager definitely was as i am sure you'll agree.

• Advertisement

Best of a very bad lot for me. Who was better?

Sterling was shockingly poor.

Fescue wrote: »
    Sterling was shockingly poor.

As were every last one of them. Sterling ran at them, lost the ball lots, sure, but got himself into several dangerous positions and never stopped trying. Who was better?

It is really bad though this malaise the team finds itself in. I don't think you can underestimate it.

If we don't start grinding out some results shortly, the season will be done and dusted by Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Rodgers just said Gerrard was outstanding??? I give up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Highlights again on sky sports 5 now'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

BR talking ****e on rte 2

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

rob316 wrote: »

I didn't see the game but followed through the match thread, I thought that very odd.

He really has his head up Gerard's hole.

The club captain was ****e. Thats what we needed him to say. FFS BR get a clue will ya.

As were every last one of them. Sterling ran at them, lost the ball lots, sure, but got himself into several dangerous positions and never stopped trying. Who was better?

I don't think its a case of who was better, Sterling was really poor tonight. The worst I have seen him play in a year.

Soups123 wrote: »
    I didn't see the game but followed through the match thread, I thought that very odd.

He is just protecting his players but I have no doubt he will rip into them. He defended Sterling and Balotelli on Sky but you could tell from his face he was disgusted with them.

• Advertisement

I don't think its a case of who was better, Sterling was really poor tonight. The worst I have seen him play in a year.

It's a perfectly reasonable question. Plenty of people throwing brickbats in his direction yet he was the only player out there in a team with no direction and no spirit who wanted to get on the ball and make things happen. The fact that they didn't said as much about the apathy surrounding him than Sterling himself. There wasn't anyone out there better than him tonight which, alas, doesn't say much but he doesn't deserve the criticism.

NukaCola wrote: »
    The club captain was ****e. Thats what we needed him to say. FFS BR get a clue will ya.

Just say nothing about him as that's what he had a nothing performance.
    All he is doing is making it harder to drop him.

Our best midfielder is babysitting him and in turn rendering himself useless.

He is just protecting his players but I have no doubt he will rip into them. He defended Sterling and Balotelli on Sky but you could tell from his face he was disgusted with them.

That's usually fair enough but he could have been a little more passive, he offered the feedback on Gerard he wasn't asked. TBH I didn't watch the game but describing him as outstanding tonight seemed odd given the talk here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Season is effectively over. Money for Suarez wasted for the most part.

14th in premier league. 7 points from 6 games. 9 points behind the leaders.
    Let in more goals than scored.
    Outclassed in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

For once im delighted theres an international break around the corner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

He's hardly going to go on tv and say Gerrard was ****e is he!

I'd hope privately he gives the lot of them a kick up the hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Worst I've ever seen Sterling play. That said he still kept getting into good positions but was unusually hesitant and indecisive and ended up miscontrolling the ball. At the top of his game he could have scored 2 or 3 tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Soups123 wrote: »

The man's in a difficult position right now so he's hardly going to start dropping truth bombs and alienating his captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

MD1990 wrote: »
    You just contradicted yourself there.

How have I contradicted myself?

I said that Suarez was world class and Rodgers maximised that. He didn't make him a better player.

• Advertisement

He's hardly going to go on tv and say Gerrard was ****e is he!

I'd hope privately he gives the lot of them a kick up the hole.

That's fair enough if asked about him but he singled out Gerrard himself and offered the feedback

What do people want BR to do. Come out in a gilet telling the media that his players aren't good enough? Of all the things to get on his back about that shouldn't even be on the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

I thought Sterling lost his head tonight, the ref was not giving soft free's but Sterling kept looking at the ref every time he ran into trouble and I think it affected his game. But it's down to Rodgers to spot this and relate it to the players or else use his subs properly.

What do people want BR to do. Come out in a gilet telling the media that his players aren't good enough? Of all the things to get on his back about that shouldn't even be on the list.

You can defend players quiet easily without going to the extent of calling them outstanding if they clearly weren't

Red Pepper wrote: »
    Season is effectively over.

Arsenal (for example) are 3 points ahead of us in 4th place and have the same amount of points as us in their CL group (3).

Bit early to be packing up for the season yet.

Looking at us there tonight, we are such a soft and lightweight team.

I'm usually quite optimistic by nature but I see big problems ahead for Liverpool unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Defense was poor as usual for Rodgers but it's the attack thats worries me. It's out managers main strength and we are just woeful

We're seeing how much we miss Suarez.

I still can't believe Balotelli plays for us. He makes we want to puke!

Gerrard is one of the most experienced players in the game today, he doesn't need protection. This is getting ridiculous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Arsenal (for example) are 3 points ahead of us in 4th place and have the same amount of points as us in their CL group (3).

Bit early to be packing up for the season yet.

This exactly.

We just need some positivity, some good results. The sooner Sturridge and Allen come back the better. I am glad I have been wrong about Allen, in the past I wanted him out, but I think we could really do with him in the side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

murpho999 wrote: »
    Those thinking that Rodgers made Suarez world class are deluded.

Suarez was on his way before and Rodgers found a way to get the team playing around him that maximised his powers.

Special players like that will be great no matter who they are managed by.

Anyhow not the issue at hand. Big question is now what does Rodgers do with his current team?

Nobody thought BR was behind the success of Suarez, no one in their right mind anyway. Worse case scenario BR got more credit than he deserved for the performances of everyone else in the squad .

Early but worrying days.

Worst I've ever seen Sterling play. That said he still kept getting into good positions but was unusually hesitant and indecisive and ended up miscontrolling the ball. At the top of his game he could have scored 2 or 3 tonight.

Yup, absolutely stank the place out tonight. Should have been subbed instead of Coutinho.

Markovic was muck as well. Never saw him play before he joined Liverpool, but he looks a very ordinary player.

• Advertisement

Gerrard is one of the most experienced players in the game today, he doesn't need protection. This is getting ridiculous.

Why are you so unhappy about it? Seriously its such a non point. Its part of his usual post match interview, paint by numbers automatic non thinking comment said with a glazed look of a man fulfilling his TV interview obligations.

Ardent wrote: »
    Yup, absolutely stank the place out tonight. Should have been subbed instead of Coutinho.

Markovic was muck as well. Never saw him play before he joined Liverpool, but he looks a very ordinary player.

If Rodgers got anything right tonight it was in taking off Coutinho and Markovic.

Augmerson wrote: »
    This exactly.

We just need some positivity, some good results. The sooner Sturridge and Allen come back the better. I am glad I have been wrong about Allen, in the past I wanted him out, but I think we could really do with him in the side.

I think you are stretching a little to think Allen will resolve our issues. I don't doubt Sturridge will help but he won't do it without a good team around him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Red Pepper wrote: »
    Season is effectively over. Money for Suarez wasted for the most part.

14th in premier league. 7 points from 6 games. 9 points behind the leaders.
    Let in more goals than scored.
    Outclassed in Europe.

The most part....is in the bank

Really really badly need 3 points against West Brom at the weekend or it's going to be a very long international break with Liverpool in the headlines for all the wrong reasons.

As gash as we've been if we could beat West Brom and Arsenal lose at Chelsea we could actually go level on points with them.

On the bright side - and we need one - Sturridge won't be named in the England squad according to Rodgers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I think you are stretching a little to think Allen will resolve our issues. I don't doubt Sturridge will help but he won't do it without a good team around him.

I don't mean to over state Allen. I know he won't be the golden key but I think the side would look better with him in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Gary Neville gave a good analysis on how we where unlucky with injuries and how BR was unable to ease the new signings into the side.

If Rodgers got anything right tonight it was in taking off Coutinho and Markovic.

Don't agree. That was the best I've seen Coutinho play this season. Maybe he tired a little, but he certainly wasn't taken off for having a bad game.

Why are you so unhappy about it? Seriously its such a non point. Its part of his usual post match interview, paint by numbers automatic non thinking comment said with a glazed look of a man fulfilling his TV interview obligations.

Why single out Gerrard though? He wasn't asked about him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement