Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

Fescue wrote: »
    Well then is it worthwhile adjusting the team to get the most from him?

For instance returning to the diamond despite the defensive frailty of it.

I'd imagine it's only right to see him and Sturridge together for a good few games.

If Sturridge is out again the formation would probably need adjusting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I'd imagine it's only right to see him and Sturridge together for a good few games.

If Sturridge is out again the formation would probably need adjusting

I think a lot of his shortcomings will be ignored if he starts scoring goals. If he can't contribute goals or assists, then he is of little use to anyone.

With Origi arriving next year, he could find himself well down the pecking order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ballotelli needs to play with someone beside him.

He likes to come deep to collect the ball and turn and run at defenders if he doesn't have someone up with him to drag players away he is running into a road block.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Nobody is turning against Rodgers. It's normal to question the manager after a run of poor games. 1 good performance in 10 isn't good enough.

Sticking the head in the sand and blindly hoping things will get better is ridiculous.

Why mention Arsenal? We are 9 points off Chelsea after 6 games! 7 off Southampton.

Agree with you on Can, calling him a baffling transfer when's he's out injured having not played for us is hilarious.

Don't agree on Balotelli.

4th place. That's the presumed minimum isn't it?

Jordon Ibe is in the England U20s squad to play a 4 nation tournie in Heerenveen.

England will play Germany on Thursday, October 9, Holland on Saturday, October 11, and Turkey on Monday, October 13.

Balo will be gone in January if things don't knit together with Sturridge.

and finally - I look forward to 8-10s first hand account of the game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Balotelli last night showed an improvement but the main thing i noticed was that when he got the ball and ran forward more often than not there was nobody beside or ahead of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

joe123 wrote: »
    Its actually laughable how quick some are to turn on Rodgers. The man that brought us to the cusp of a Premier League for the first time in years.

Absolutely laughable. I was at Anfield for the Everton game and the good news is that support is very much behind Rodgers which is a good thing. Reading some of the absolute tripe from the usual critics on here you'd swear hes about to get the sack.

We are badly missing Sturridge and I am convinced that once he is back, Balotelli will come into his own. It is clear Balotelli needs a strike partner.

Allen is a big miss for setting the tempo which allows Henderson push further forward. Cannot understand the post calling Can one of the most baffling transfers of the summer either. He has the potential to be one of those powerful midfielders that we so badly lack.

If Rodgers deserves anything after last season its time. We are only 3 points off Arsenal.

I said it about Can.

When you look at our DM and CM options who have we got, a 34 year old, a passenger and a player who's never fit for purpose. That's why a 20 year old Can is a baffling purchase to me. Dont get me wrong, he could turn out to be a good player in a few years, but he's still in the "potential" bracket when we needed an established player.

I said it about Can.

When you look at our DM and CM options who have we got, a 34 year old, a passenger and a player who's never fit for purpose. That's why a 20 year old Can is a baffling purchase to me. Dont get me wrong, he could turn out to be a good player in a few years, but he's still in the "potential" bracket when we needed an established player.

As limited as he is, I would play Lucas in that role ahead of Gerrard.

Fescue wrote: »
    As limited as he is, I would play Lucas in that role ahead of Gerrard.

Not me, that'd mean double the the amount of set pieces coming into our box. We are truly fcked in DM at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I said it about Can.

There was clearly room for both though.

We could easily fit another top quality DM in the squad if Gerrard was playing the number of games he should be.
    Is Ballotelli suited to quick interchangeable football, ie the way Rodgers wants his forwards to play? Absolutely not

Maybe not as a lone striker, but his ability in tight spaces, hold up play and all round technical ability would suggest that he should have no problem with it.

He needs others in the box when he plays the game outside it and there's nothing wrong with that per se. What's wrong is how we're trying to integrate that into the rest of the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Not writing off Mario, but what he's getting praised/defended for is the absolute basics lets be honest. He hasn't showed anything to get excited about really and thats probably not all down to him.

What is apparent though is if BR wants to play fast interchange of passing and movement up top similar to last season he is not the man to fit in. He gets on the ball and holds it for far too long and slows the attack, and doesn't press high up effectively. Wether he can adapt or not is anyones guess.

Also, i am a big fan of BR and am very confident he can tweak things to get the best out of the team but the defence is a huge blind spot for him and I'm not sure if he is humble enough to recognise this as a failing and get in help, which is clearly needed and way overdue at this stage. This is not a panicked opinion just an overhang from last season. I really thought the popular and obvious opinion was "We wont score as many goals but we can offset some of that by tightening up the back". If that was indeed the idea then he hasn't solved the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

BR & Gerrard post match interview. Gerrard pretty scathing of the performance.

Brendan is such...

So Rodgers sees the problem, fine now do something about it.

After the match someone on the RTE panel suggested Skrtel should be tasked with one thing only at a set piece - heading the ball and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

BR & Gerrard post match interview. Gerrard pretty scathing of the performance.

I am glad to see the two of them having a go. A rocket needs to be put up these guys as well as the tactical side of things. Sometimes you have to make it happen.

Will be interested to see what he says at his presser at 2pm today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

joe123 wrote: »
    Its actually laughable how quick some are to turn on Rodgers. The man that brought us to the cusp of a Premier League for the first time in years.

Absolutely laughable. I was at Anfield for the Everton game and the good news is that support is very much behind Rodgers which is a good thing. Reading some of the absolute tripe from the usual critics on here you'd swear hes about to get the sack.

We are badly missing Sturridge and I am convinced that once he is back, Balotelli will come into his own. It is clear Balotelli needs a strike partner.

Allen is a big miss for setting the tempo which allows Henderson push further forward. Cannot understand the post calling Can one of the most baffling transfers of the summer either. He has the potential to be one of those powerful midfielders that we so badly lack.

If Rodgers deserves anything after last season its time. We are only 3 points off Arsenal.

One decent performance in 10 games. If that happens again over the next 10 games we're going to have an issue.

I know you live in a fantasy world where some of us are desperately waiting to sharpen our knives and spring out from behind a rock. However, that isn't actually the case. I have every intention of being patient and understand that there are injuries but we've been utterly hapless for a stretch of games and I'm not seeing signs of improvement.

Some of us are just worried. I don't think we can be blamed for that tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I blame the head tennis. And Pascoe's knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

In the long term a poor run of games and some deserved criticism could be the making of Rodgers. It's possible that he came into this season overly confident and now is being brought crashing back to reality. He now needs to seriously re-evaluate some players, his tactics and possibly his own coaching limitations. I'm starting to feel this season may be a bit of a write-off but in the long run it may be no harm to put the shit up Rodgers a bit.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    One decent performance in 10 games

Some of us are just worried. I don't think we can be blamed for that tbh.

Absolutely. However there are some people who appear to be a lot more panicked and negative than they should be. Balotelli was called a disease on here last night for example. SG is past it. BR is clueless. All these are classic OTT.

1 good performance out of 10 is also quite harsh. We've played 9 games this season for a start.

Against Southampton we had some good spells, standard first game back get points on the board display. Excellent versus Spurs. We deserved more from the Everton game certainly.

I accept that it hasn't been good enough but this is the kind of language (1 out of 10) that really irks me. Needlessly OTT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

In the long term a poor run of games and some deserved criticism could be the making of Rodgers. It's possible that he came into this season overly confident and now is being brought crashing back to reality. He now needs to seriously re-evaluate some players, his tactics and possibly his own coaching limitations. I'm starting to feel this season may be a bit of a write-off but in the long run it may be no harm to put the shit up Rodgers a bit.

Yep, maybe he needs more that Pascoe and Marsh, neither has anywhere near his top-level experience at coaching.
    Also puts pressure on us to buy in Jan, which may not be a bad thing...

I know a cure for Ballotellis disease.

Goals!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

x43r0 wrote: »

Thank fcuk for that!

Lambert makes the squad with maybe 30 minutes of football this season.

Just shows how light England are up front.

Gbear wrote: »
    There was clearly room for both though.

We could easily fit another top quality DM in the squad if Gerrard was playing the number of games he should be.

Yeah i agree, we should have bought both and got rid of Lucas. Seems to me as the Can purchase was a punt and was made to keep up the numbers. When the emphasis should have been on getting a more established player in there. It's quite clear that Rodgers doesn't rate Lucas so why not replace him during the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

NukaCola wrote: »
    Absolutely. However there are some people who appear to be a lot more panicked and negative than they should be. Balotelli was called a disease on here last night for example. SG is past it. BR is clueless. All these are classic OTT.

1 good performance out of 10 is also quite harsh. We've played 9 games this season for a start.

Against Southampton we had some good spells, standard first game back get points on the board display. Excellent versus Spurs. We deserved more from the Everton game certainly.

I accept that it hasn't been good enough but this is the kind of language (1 out of 10) that really irks me. Needlessly OTT.

We were undeserving of the 3 points against Southampton and we conceded a bunch of chances to Spurs that they really should have taken before we scored and kicked into gear during the second half.

You're reaching in the above, which irks me. And even if you were correct, and it was actually a case that we'd been hapless in 66% of our games it would still be a cause for concern.

You're reaching in the above, which irks me. And even if you were correct, and it was actually a case that we'd been hapless in 66% of our games it would still be a cause for concern.

I'm not disagreeing with you. But one good performance out of 10 isn't correct, or even possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Looks like no Sturridge again this weekend. Rodgers has told Hodgson he doesn't expect him to play.

Unless Rodgers is just trying to get Hodgson off his case re: Sturridge and he will actually end up playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

We were undeserving of the 3 points against Southampton and we conceded a bunch of chances to Spurs that they really should have taken before we scored and kicked into gear during the second half.

You should rewatch the highlights/match. Spurs only had 1 excellent chance in the entire game (possibly another decent one) and we were 1 up at that stage.

This also really shows how much you are trying to prove your point too. If you argue that spurs could have easily got themselves a goal or 2 then you would also be able to argue that we should have scored a goal or 2 when Balotelli had some excellent chances.

I'm not disagreeing with you. But one good performance out of 10 isn't correct, or even possible.

You can play average or poor and still pick up points.

Spurs is the only game I've seen where we actually looked like a decent team tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

the one main problem with Balotelli is that he doesn't get into the box enough.

there was a moment last night where Sterling won the ball near the penalty area, he was driving at the defence, and Balotelli just stood centrally waiting for a 3 yard square pass.

Sterling then seemed to have a go at him for not making space with a forward run.

what Sturridge will create is another player willing to run in behind other than Sterling. it will make a world of difference.

i think I remember Rodgers saying after Balotelli's goal against Ludogorets that he was trying to get Mario in the box more. we need more of that from him.

all that being said, if we could defend we'd have got out of there with a 0-0. it's what the best teams do. they get a result even when they're playing shíte. we can't do that because the defensive system is so fragile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I know a cure for Ballotellis disease.

Goals!

I know some will feel I went to far with that remark but I can see it creeping in already.

He doesn't care about the teams he plays for.

People, including Rodgers (although what would one expect?), have said he worked hard last night? I say no, he may have worked hard by Mario standards but I still think he gave too little.

Fair enough, others underperformed as well. However, he was the one giving Coutinho and Sterling silly stick for his own mistakes, being selfish with the ball (and loisng it), moaning at the ref, raising his hand to an opponent's face (and subjecting the team to a risk of a red card as a result).

I was happy to get another front player in the sense that we needed another body but I cannot see hoe having him as the focal point of an attack when Sturridge is out is going to work.

A combination of Lambert or Boroni would be more beneficial in my opinion. These moments of genius (usually penalties or Free Kicks in my eyes) are too few and far between in my eyes.

I standby that comment. Roberto Mancini and Jose Mourinho saw some truth in the comment.

You can play average or poor and still pick up points.

Spurs is the only game I've seen where we actually looked like a decent team tbh

And i would counter that we played decent against Southampton and Everton also for large spells of both games, but then maybe I'm just being an optimist.

We haven't been good enough bottom line but some people love to make things look as worse as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Team I'd go with for Saturday:

Mignolet
    Manquillo Toure Lovren Moreno
    Lucas Henderson
    Borini Lallana Sterling
    Lambert

Gerrard, Balotelli, Markovic, Enrique and Skrtel dropped for poor performances last night.
    Lovren may be in need or a rest soon too I think. Played alot of games since joining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    I standby that comment. Roberto Mancini and Jose Mourinho saw some truth in the comment.

I honestly couldn't care less what you standby. I personally wouldn't call anyone a disease but thats your own business.

I called your comment OTT and i would wager the majority of people would a agree with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

SlickRic wrote: »

Didn't touch the ball inside the Basel penalty area last night. Not even once.

Actually think he's been working hard without the ball. Closing down, tracking back, tackling, etc.

When we attack though he just stands still. Always wants to come deep and have it into his feet. If he does that we need to be getting players running beyond him. Would like to see him and Sturridge for handful of games though as Sturridge will move around and make runs in behind.

At the moment it feels like Ballotelli and Lambert are both doing the same job and we only need one of those in the squad. Not two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

SlickRic wrote: »

I think in an effort to show that he's working harder he's trying to get involved in the build up. Doesn't help that we were so poor at getting the ball to him quicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Yes he did, he scored but was ruled offside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Yes he did. Its just he was offside every time he did it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I honestly couldn't care less what you standby. I personally wouldn't call anyone a disease but thats your own business.

I called your comment OTT and i would wager the majority of people would a agree with that.

I honestly couldn't care less what you consider OTT etc etc

Am I doing it right?

It is only a matter of time. Every manager he has had wanted rid eventually. He is only a couple of games in and he is showing precisely why.

Granted, Liverpool fans will always give a new signing the benefit of the doubt but it is hard to look past his character flaws which aren't directly related to his goalscoring record.

I have never seen Sterling and Countino react the way they have after Ballotelli's selfish blame game motions last night. His behaviour seems to be spreading.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Where did this go?

The first goal is scored by the guy gone to Barcelona
    The guy following up the first shot for the second goal is gone to Barcelona
    The third goal is set up by the guy gone to Barcelona
    The fourth goal is scored by the guy gone to Barcelona
    The fifth goal is set up by the guy gone to Barcelona

dfx- wrote: »
    The scorer of the first goal is gone to Barcelona

:D True What was missing last night as compared to Spurs was a genuine cut and thrust starting from deep. Lucas/Allen/Hendo were terrific with Henderson getting ahead of the ball and the striker. This season he has got beyond play in two games I think - Spurs and Everton (briefly) last night he was so deep as to be wasted. Pressing the ball or the man has gone out the window by everyone bar the full backs now and then.

noodler wrote: »
    I honestly couldn't care less what you consider OTT etc etc

Am I doing it right?

It is only a matter of time. Every manager he has had wanted rid eventually. He is only a couple of games in and he is showing precisely why.

Granted, Liverpool fans will always give a new signing the benefit of the doubt but it is hard to look past his character flaws which aren't directly related to his goalscoring record.

I have never seen Sterling and Countino react the way they have after Ballotelli's selfish blame game motions last night. His behaviour seems to be spreading.

Its your choice of language not your opinion that I called OTT.

Balotelli is a disease is not how I'd describe him or his actions. I don't want to come across as faking outrage here or anything I just would never say it about anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

dfx- wrote: »
    The first goal is scored by the guy gone to Barcelona

Ya he was kinda good:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I see Balotelli is getting alot of blame . He hasn't had that many clear cut chances since joining. Partly down to his movement but also because we are creating very little atm. Coutinho i thought was starting to get into the game before being taken off. For West Brom i would go
    Mignolet
    Manquillo---Skrtel---Lovren--Moreno
    Gerrard
    Henderson----Coutinho
    Lallana
    Balotelli
    Sterling

I think Sterling should be tried as a striker to make runs in behind in place of Sturridge & it would give him a break from tracking back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Whats the story with Markovich lads? I am all for letting him settle in and find his feet but he was desperate last night. Just seems to be way off the pace & no match sharpness at all. It looks like it is all a bit too much for him at the moment. Was shocked to see Coutinho (who hasn't been great) taken off ahead of him

Whats the story with Markovich lads? I am all for letting him settle in and find his feet but he was desperate last night. Just seems to be way off the pace & o match sharpness at all. It looks like it is all a bit too much for him at the moment. Was shocked to see Coutinho (who hasn't been great) taken off ahead of him last night.

A couple of times he put his foot down and showed the pace that some here seemed convinced he didn't possess, unfortunately his passing was sh'ite, I think he'll get there - its not helping him that he is a runner when the forward is not. Sturridge will give him something better to work with, a runner for a runner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Really? Seems like you just concocted that story from thin air, Sterling scored in the first 10mins IIRC, so not quite sure what chances you're talking about? They had one good chance right on half time when Chadli blasted in straight at Mignolet after a cock up from Sakho/Lovern, I'm fairly sure you posted on here that you didn't see the game as well, so anyway if you could remind us of those chances you refer to that'd be nice.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement