Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Really? Seems like you just concocted that story from thin air, Sterling scored in the first 10mins IIRC, so not quite sure what chances you're talking about? They had one good chance right on half time when Chadli blasted in straight at Mignolet after a cock up from Sakho/Lovern, I'm fairly sure you posted on here that you didn't see the game as well, so anyway if you could remind us of those chances you refer to that'd be nice.

Adebayor lobbed Mig and put his chance over when he should have scored?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Ok I'l give you that one, that was straight after we scored, we haven't quite got to a bunch yet though, how many is in a bunch btw anyone know?

Bottom line is we dominated Spurs from start to finish, they barely had a shot on goal all match in their own patch, it was our best performance of the season clearly, so I don't know how anyone could have described the game the way Lloyd did or try to discredit that performance, I mean come on at least give us that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Ok I'l give you that one, that was straight after we scored, we haven't quite got to a bunch yet though, how many is in a bunch btw anyone know?

Bottom line is we dominated Spurs from start to finish, they barely had a shot on goal all match in their own patch, it was our best performance of the season clearly, so I don't know how anyone could have described the game the way Lloyd did or try to discredit that performance, I mean come on at least give us that one.

Some "fans" watch Liverpool through siht tinted glasses is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Not one smile in todays training photos.....

but this is classic....

10494845_10152875333192573_5100603038530967903_n.jpg?oh=8c6adb2337b487d1823abaf77993fabb&oe=54BFD5FA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

I think the thing with balotelli is he's just not that good. He can blast a shot with great power, and occasionally scores a screamer, but he's just not a brilliant player, nor even that close to it imo. He has strength and power, good attributes, but besides that there's nothing exceptional to his game imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I think he's a good finisher and his control is quite good.

Surprised at all the Balotelli hate to be honest...don't think that he's been all that bad myself.

Seems his biggest fault his that he is not Suarez.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

gafferino wrote: »
    Not one smile in todays training photos.....

but this is classic....

10494845_10152875333192573_5100603038530967903_n.jpg?oh=8c6adb2337b487d1823abaf77993fabb&oe=54BFD5FA

Stance is all wrong, jumping from the knees, and lets face it, with his eyes closed, he may not be able to see what's happening. Hair is still perfect though.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

NukaCola wrote: »
    I'm not disagreeing with you. But one good performance out of 10 isn't correct, or even possible.

Give it 2 days, 45 mins. I bet you'll find it to be the case then.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

5starpool wrote: »
    Give it 2 days, 45 mins. I bet you'll find it to be the case then.

:(

Going to stay upbeat and say we'll get a great response with 3 points. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

It is interesting to watch people go nuclear when things go against us. There are definite mitigating factors for our poor performances, not least because many of the players are strangers to each other and the S***** factor no longer being there.
    I think we'll ride this out. Rodgers is too good for us not to. A pessimist is never disappointed accurately describes the outlook of far too many on here and elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

brevity wrote: »

Surprised at all the Balotelli hate to be honest...don't think that he's been all that bad myself.

Nah.

His lack of passion, effort, discipline and infectious moaning and ranting to team mates and the ref are the main issues.

Surprised so many people think he is a good finisher to be honest - free kicks and penalties aside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Confused

I already said the Spurs performance was good. We still defended poorly at times on the day during it though.

One side of this one is being pedantic and it ain't me.

noodler wrote: »
    Nah.

His lack of passion, effort, discipline and infectious moaning and ranting to team mates and the ref are the main issues.

Surprised so many people think he is a good finisher to be honest - free kicks and penalties aside.

Suarez did this in spades but was glossed over because he was amazeballs, I'm sure if/when Ballotelli gets some help his performances will improve.

I think Ballotelli is a luxury player really, perhaps one that we cannot afford, but I think that if has proper support we'd definitely see better output from him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Suarez did this in spades but was glossed over because he was amazeballs, I'm sure if/when Ballotelli gets some help his performances will improve.

I think Ballotelli is a luxury player really, perhaps one that we cannot afford, but I think that if has proper support we'd definitely see better output from him.

You are 100% correct in saying we will gloss over it for Suarez.

Suarez could never be called out for a lack of effort though and, although I won't say he never berated someone like Sturridge for not squaring a ball, I have to say I usually think he was correct when he did it! He certainly wouldn't, as far as I am concerned, have castigated Coutinho and Sterling for his own mistakes like Mario did last night.

Again, if Mario was banging them in - alot of this would not be an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

apparently the current kits (all three) are on sale on amazon for £14 at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

sweetie wrote: »
    apparently the current kits (all three) are on sale on amazon for £14 at the moment
    Depends on size £22.07 for a medium

sweetie wrote: »

The delivery charges are based on the "weight of the jersey" though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

The delivery charges are based on the "weight of the jersey" though.

Could be astronomical so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

From an outsiders point of view he has done very little positive, poor decision making, hardly great workrate and he hasn't been scoring goals.

When you're a striker and you're not scoring, you need to be putting in a real shift, and while Balotelli's workrate might not be as bad as it became notorious for, he defo isn't making up for his lack of goals with it.

Fescue wrote: »
    Could be astronomical so.

I'll set 'em Fescue, you knock 'em in.

CSF wrote: »
    From an outsiders point of view he has done very little positive, poor decision making, hardly great workrate and he hasn't been scoring goals.

When you're a striker and you're not scoring, you need to be putting in a real shift, and while Balotelli's workrate might not be as bad as it became notorious for, he defo isn't making up for his lack of goals with it.

I wonder if he would be better playing somewhere else rather than up front.

He doesn't naturally seem to know what to do as a striker.

Maybe as a second striker or a wide forward he might be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

I'll set 'em Fescue, you knock 'em in.
    If only the team could do the same :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Top bantz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

MD1990 wrote: »
    I see Balotelli is getting alot of blame . He hasn't had that many clear cut chances since joining. Partly down to his movement but also because we are creating very little atm. Coutinho i thought was starting to get into the game before being taken off. For West Brom i would go
    Mignolet
    Manquillo---Skrtel---Lovren--Moreno
    Gerrard
    Henderson----Coutinho
    Lallana
    Balotelli
    Sterling

I think Sterling should be tried as a striker to make runs in behind in place of Sturridge & it would give him a break from tracking back.

Worth a shot.

Origi starts for Lille away to Wolfsburg follow the game here

http://www.flashscore.com/match/QD6hlaTg/#live-commentary;0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

MR NINE wrote: »
    I think the thing with balotelli is he's just not that good. He can blast a shot with great power, and occasionally scores a screamer, but he's just not a brilliant player, nor even that close to it imo. He has strength and power, good attributes, but besides that there's nothing exceptional to his game imo

Excellent at holding up the ball. Im convinced that with Sturridge alongside him they will be a good partnership.

Please let me be right. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Liverpool are a good team with a good manager playing poorly because half their squad are strangers to each other.

All the comments are about 'don't seem to know their role', 'not on the same wavelength' etc etc etc.

They will absolutely improve. The fans really just need to be patient.

Don't listen to all the nonsense. The truth is always the simplest version of events, that the players will take time to bed in. Though that's way too short to waffle about on a pubdit's couch or a weekly column.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

gosplan wrote: »
    Liverpool are a good team with a good manager playing poorly because half their squad are strangers to each other.

All the comments are about 'don't seem to know their role', 'not on the same wavelength' etc etc etc.

They will absolutely improve. The fans really just need to be patient.

Don't listen to all the nonsense. The truth is always the simplest version of events, that the players will take time to bed in. Though that's way too short to waffle about on a pubdit's couch or a weekly column.

I think we'd all like to give them time, we're all just hoping its not Feb next year before they gel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Vicxas wrote: »
    I think we'd all like to give them time, we're all just hoping its not Feb next year before they gel.

Wenger's always said that beyond 2/3 players in risks the cohesion of the team in a big way. I don't think this applies to all managers. If you've very clearly defined tactics and roles, maybe it's easier. But Wenger and Rodgers both seem to give players a fair bit of freedom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'm reading in the Guardian now that Coutinho had an angry exchange of words with Rodgers at the game last night, This along with the Balotelli story from last night and Sakho leaving before the game last weekend.

I wonder if Dr. Steve Peters is still at the club. If he is he has his work cut out for himself in the coming weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

The love in between Rodgers and Gerrard is going to be the formers downfall if it continues, the latters position I understand (except on the pitch!) as he is desperate to eke out yet another year and another contract extension. Why Rodgers wants to keep him playing is far less explicable. The manager is being taken for a ride.

Rodgers is not the first man who has struggled with making the tough decisions when it comes to Stevie G so let's not use that as a stick to beat Rodgers with.

Origi starts for Lille away to Wolfsburg follow the game here

http://www.flashscore.com/match/QD6hlaTg/#live-commentary;0

Origi scores! (okay only a peno :) )
    Goal! Divock Origi (Lille) slams home the penalty with his precise low shot, into the bottom left corner.
    Divock Origi (Lille) slides a brilliant pass to Nolan Roux (Lille), who takes a shot from inside the box but it goes by a whisker wide of the left post. The ball is beyond the goal line and Wolfsburg will have a goal kick.
    Diego Benaglio (Wolfsburg) makes a brilliant save! Divock Origi (Lille) weaves easily through the defence and unleashes a shot from just outside of the box. His effort goes towards the left side of the goal but it is denied by the mentioned goalkeeper!

subbed at 85 mins 1-1 (De Bruyne).

Rodgers is not the first man who has struggled with making the tough decisions when it comes to Stevie G so let's not use that as a stick to beat Rodgers with.

That's exactly the reason to beat Rodgers with a stick though. No balls when it comes to facing a "club legend"

That's exactly the reason to beat Rodgers with a stick though. No balls when it comes to facing a "club legend"

Did Rafa get the same grief when Gerrard underperformed? Or Kenny? We have remember too that Gerrard himself suggested that Rodgers has been looking at reducing his role, how truthful that is we won't know until Can and Aleen are back.

Did Rafa get the same grief when Gerrard underperformed? Or Kenny? We have remember too that Gerrard himself suggested that Rodgers has been looking at reducing his role, how truthful that is we won't know until Can and Aleen are back.

I'd suggest the difference between now and then is several years. Once he could be relied to return to some sort of form, at 34 that ship has sailed. From here on its managed decline at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Rafa did yes because he didn't see Gerrard as a CM and the best season Gerrard had under Rafa was out on the right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

CSF wrote: »

I'd have no problems with his work rate so far. If anything he's doing so much tracking back and covering that it's dragging him even further away from goals.

When we're attacking he's awfully static though. Just stands there waiting for the ball. When you've had a few seasons of Suarez being a constant blur of movement up front, it stands out even more. Would hold fire just yet though until he's had a decent run of games alongside Sturridge.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Origi scores! (okay only a peno :) )

subbed at 85 mins 1-1 (De Bruyne).

How do you reckon, if we had him now, Origi would fit into the team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Anyone else feel the good mood of last season is gone, totally gone.

Im no longer excited by watching Liverpool play (Even without Suarez we were exciting). Now we look lazy and uninterested.

Im no longer excited by watching Liverpool play (Even without Suarez we were exciting). Now we look lazy and uninterested.

This season always had potential to be a hangover for us, unfortunately it seems to have come to fruition looking at performances thus far. They can get back on track but the job at hand shouldn't be underestimated. Getting that winning mentality back to the levels of last season is going to be very difficult.

Whats the chances we'll see SG at CB within the next 12 months? If that happens I think i'll lose my mind.

Whats the chances we'll see SG at CB within the next 12 months? If that happens I think i'll lose my mind.

I'll have murdered everyone in the thread before you get that far.

Well, ya the mood isn't great.

So putting a positive spin on things......

We have one of the toughest fixtures away to City out of the way. One tough derby fixture out of the way. An tricky away fixture with a top 4 rival out of the way. Despite being well off the boil we are also still only 3 points off 4th.

We have one of the best strikers in the EPL to come back into the team. We have a talented bunch of players and a talented manager. All thats required is a bit of patience and we'll be back in the mix.

Plus we are playing the European champions in the best football club competition coming up.

All this is is a bad run. Plenty to look forward to. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

All part of the inevitable drift backwards to replace Mignolet for the 2016/17 season. ;)

Well, ya the mood isn't great.

So putting a positive spin on things......

We have one of the toughest fixtures away to City out of the way. One tough derby fixture out of the way. An tricky away fixture with a top 4 rival out of the way. Despite being well off the boil we are also still only 3 points off 4th.

We have one of the best strikers in the EPL to come back into the team. We have a talented bunch of players and a talented manager. All thats required is a bit of patience and we'll be back in the mix.

Plus we are playing the European champions in the best football club competition coming up.

All this is is a bad run. Plenty to look forward to. :cool:

Looks like Valdes will join in the next fortnight, I'm not sure how good he will be but I am sure he will be better than Mignolet.

Daemonic wrote: »
    All part of the inevitable drift backwards to replace Mignolet for the 2016/17 season. ;)

Coming out of his goal for freekicks corners and peno's :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Could be tried as a 3rd cb, doubt we will see it in anything bar a cup game tho.

So we are going to buy Higuain in January!

Seems odd that Napoli would sell him although if he is in the situation where Rafa has to sell to buy (familiar territory for Rafa) he might have no choice.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement