Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Last_Minute

Balotelli is lazy and unpredictable, we can only hope he makes a sustained effort soon as he has the potential to be a great player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

brevity wrote: »
    So we are going to buy Higuain in January!

Seems odd that Napoli would sell him although if he is in the situation where Rafa has to sell to buy (familiar territory for Rafa) he might have no choice.

Rafa will be lucky to have a job there in January!

Higuain should have been the player we bought during the summer. He should have been the player we bought after they got knocked out of the CL. when the window was still open. and before we bought Balotelli.

But we bought Balotelli for £16m instead of paying the extra £10m and getting him.

£25m for Higuain and £12m for M'Vila would have been a whole lot better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

NukaCola wrote: »
    Absolutely. However there are some people who appear to be a lot more panicked and negative than they should be. Balotelli was called a disease on here last night for example. SG is past it. BR is clueless. All these are classic OTT.

1 good performance out of 10 is also quite harsh. We've played 9 games this season for a start.

Against Southampton we had some good spells, standard first game back get points on the board display. Excellent versus Spurs. We deserved more from the Everton game certainly.

I accept that it hasn't been good enough but this is the kind of language (1 out of 10) that really irks me. Needlessly OTT.

Hey, hey, hey man. Lay off the OTT bashing will ya, I never say anything i like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Rafa will be lucky to have a job there in January!

Higuain should have been the player we bought during the summer. He should have been the player we bought after they got knocked out of the CL. when the window was still open. and before we bought Balotelli.

But we bought Balotelli for £16m instead of paying the extra £10m and getting him.

£25m for Higuain and £12m for M'Vila would have been a whole lot better.

Hindsight is a powerful thing, and certainly at the moment they would have been a better bet than Balo. But im willing to give Balo time.

Vicxas wrote: »
    Hindsight is a powerful thing, and certainly at the moment they would have been a better bet than Balo. But im willing to give Balo time.

I am willing to give Balotelli time as well.

We were linked with Higuain though before we signed Balotelli to be honest I thought the reason we pulled out of the Remy deal was because we were waiting to see if Napoli got knocked out of the CL and we could do a deal with Lucas and Agger going the other way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Giving how de laurentiis (napolis owner) drives a hard bargain i doubt they would sell higuain for £25 mill considering they spend €40 mill to buy him they would want a profit and more considering there back up is pretty ****e. Bit of trouble at napoli atm in any case, perhaps a possibility we could nab him in the future?

From everything I read since Napoli got knocked out of the CL Higuain wants out of there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Right I really think we need to start using our secret weapon, the reversed reverse double revese jinx.
    Done us proud last season.

Some clusterfcuk of a season so far. And then all the cheap jerseys were gone on amazon and then the missus got soda bread instead of a brown sliced pan and some sap hit the back of my new car that I just got there and I had to listen to some class bantz today.

Team needs to get the finger out pronto or I'm going back to supporting West Ham.

Aspas scored his first goal in Europe for Sevilla in there 2-2 draw.

http://gfycat.com/DelayedSnoopyIndianpangolin#?format=gif

Need to bring back the Panda's with the revese jinx as well.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

From everything I read since Napoli got knocked out of the CL Higuain wants out of there.

Hopefully we'll have improved enough by January to be an attractive proposition for him. If we are languishing in 7th or something by then and out of the CL I can't see him coming to us.

Need to bring back the Panda's with the revese jinx as well.

A reverse jinx now would be predicting a win for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Gary Medel would have been a really smart move,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

People can talk all they like about SAS being out/gone but there is no urgency to get forward. Goalkeeper is rubbish as well, why not try for Lopez ?

Will we win this weekend ? A draw I would say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Just wondering Why spurs forum is not in soccer forum?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

sword1 wrote: »

I've asked this before. Apparently back in the day some Spurs fan was friendly with a mod and they got granted their own forum.

sword1 wrote: »

Long story, they have their own special sub forum.

ebbsy wrote: »
    People can talk all they like about SAS being out/gone but there is no urgency to get forward. Goalkeeper is rubbish as well, why not try for Lopez ?

Will we win this weekend ? A draw I would say.

He joined AC Milan.

Augmerson wrote: »
    I've asked this before. Apparently back in the day some Spurs fan was friendly with a mod and they got granted their own forum.

Not quite, but not worth talking about anyhow.

For those that don't know, it's staying where it is, and similar for other clubs won't be introduced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Rodgers has (to use daithijjj's phrase) a real blind spot for players like Medel. It's as clear as day that we need one though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Not exactly a ringing endorsement from Rodgers about Ballotelli in the Guardian. Basically saying he was all that was available at the end of the transfer window.

Which begs the qustion how was a replacement for Suarez not the number one priority at the beginning of the Summer transfer window?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Augmerson wrote: »
    How do you reckon, if we had him now, Origi would fit into the team?

Well he looks pacey and direct so he'd be on the bench for when Studge gets tired! :pac: I'd like to think he'd be played as part of a very mobile front three with Sterling or Markovic (yes he will come good when he has some pace to work with).

Next season

Someone
    Manq--Ilori--Lovren-Moreno
    Can
    ----Hendo---Lallana
    Sterling-Sturridge-Markovic/Origi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Not exactly a ringing endorsement from Rodgers about Ballotelli in the Guardian. Basically saying he was all that was available at the end of the transfer window.

Which begs the qustion how was a replacement for Suarez not the number one priority at the beginning of the Summer transfer window?

Actually pretty unimpressed with Rodgers quotes here tbh. I can't imagine Balotelli being best pleased either.

Link here: http://gu.com/p/425a3/tw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Not really sure what rodgers is aiming to do with those comments tbh, not really a good idea?

klose wrote: »
    Not really sure what rodgers is aiming to do with those comments tbh, not really a good idea?

Lord, this is spiraling out of control....

• Advertisement

Those quotes are not very good man management that Rodgers prides himself in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Well he has his scapegoat for our problems this season. £16 million well spent I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Anybody have a link. These things usually amount to much and get blown up by the twitterati drama llamas.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Anybody have a link. These things usually amount to much and get blown up by the twitterati drama llamas.
    “I always said it was about availability and affordability of players,” said Rodgers, who considered the merits of Samuel Eto’o before the 33-year-old’s move to Everton. “Mario was the one right at the very end who was available for that. I said when he came in that it was a calculated risk and it’s something I have to work on to try to make it work for the team.

“You assess what the group had. We brought in Rickie Lambert as someone who can play some games for us and come off the bench and be an impact player for us in certain games. Daniel is a top Premier League player but has shown during his time here that he does get injuries so we needed to prepare for that. Obviously Fabio Borini looked like he was on his way out [to Sunderland].

“We had attempts for other strikers that didn’t materialise for one reason or another so it left us right at the end of the window with a decision on whether just to go with what we had, when experience told us we were too light, or take a calculated risk on a player who has quality and then could we get it out of him consistently?”

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/02/mario-balotelli-liverpool-brendan-rodgers-luis-suarez?CMP=twt_gu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Sure its nothing new and I'm sure Mario was well aware of all this before his arrival.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Actually pretty unimpressed with Rodgers quotes here tbh. I can't imagine Balotelli being best pleased either.

Link here: http://gu.com/p/425a3/tw
    Yeah not impressed. Not one criticism of Lambert but his criticism of Balotelli who had little service was unfair imo. Also why is Sakho punished for every mistake unlike Skrtel. Poor man maagement of Balotelli who needs to be encouraged not criticised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Rodgers clearly starting to feel the pressure. Those comments are ill advised at best. 'Why always me?' indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

He is just giving certain players a kick up the hole, does no harm every now and again.it might shock a few under performing players into action. The arm around the shoulder approach doesnt always work.

Wasn't Suarez meant to be releasing an auto biography about now? Anyone know the release date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Higuain is not tailor made for our style of football either to be honest.

Rodgers is only speaking the truth about Balotelli, thats exactly how it went down but not sure its wise to state all of that publically, theres an element of covering his own arse to it.

Really heaping unwarranted praise on Origi aswell in fairness, i'm not sure the lad will be the world beater Rodgers is promising.

Remember his comments about Borini when he signed, something along the lines of this being a player that will really excite the fans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Higuain is not tailor made for our style of football either to be honest.

Rodgers is only speaking the truth about Balotelli, thats exactly how it went down but not sure its wise to state all of that publically, theres an element of covering his own arse to it.

Really heaping unwarranted praise on Origi aswell in fairness, i'm not sure the lad will be the world beater Rodgers is promising.

Remember his comments about Borini when he signed, something along the lines of this being a player that will really excite the fans

Worth pointing out the scouts had his number two years before Rodgers was at Liverpool, he has been a long term project. He also has scored half all Lilles goals this season and they are not set up to score at all really! (typical dour French side)

Roy Hodgson has warned Daniel Sturridge that his status as England’s first-choice centre forward is at risk as club-versus-country tensions linger over his absence from the latest squad.

The rest above behind Times pay wall.

Hodgson fighting back on Rodgers comments below.

Hodgson pointed out he scrapped players’ two-day recovery period at the World Cup because it was “killing” England’s training time.
    Hodgson also questioned the accuracy of Rodgers’ claim that England pushed Sturridge too hard in training at St George’s Park on Sept 5, when he suffered a thigh strain sprinting after a ball. The injury ruled him out of the Euro 2016 qualifier with Switzerland and three Premier League games, none of which they won.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/11137458/Roy-Hodgson-refuses-to-accept-Liverpools-training-plan-for-Daniel-Sturridge.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Worth pointing out the scouts had his number two years before Rodgers was at Liverpool, he has been a long term project. He also has scored half all Lilles goals this season and they are not set up to score at all really! (typical dour French side)

so hes not a Rodgers signing then. Isn't that Rodgers problem with this committee though? Is it a case of take the credit for the successful signings and blame the committee set up for any flops?

Wasn't it rumoured that Rodgers vetoed the Sturridge signing initially and we ended up signing him the following January?

He is just giving certain players a kick up the hole, does no harm every now and again.it might shock a few under performing players into action. The arm around the shoulder approach doesnt always work.

He's giving one very specific player a kick up the hole. One specific player who least needs these public comments. I fail to see how this could help Balotelli. He isn't exactly the 'Right I'll prove you wrong' type of player. Completely needless comments.

5starpool wrote: »
    Wasn't Suarez meant to be releasing an auto biography about now? Anyone know the release date?

FIFA have banned him from all forms of writing until November.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Whatever about his workrate on the pitch, Balotelli not applauding the fans, and arguing with teammates on the pitch is a really worrying development.

He's got a moodiness and a petulance about him, and I fear he'll never be right for the team. I really hope I'm wrong and he links up well with Sturridge, but to me he looks like he doesn't have the footballing smarts for the interchangable style required of our front three. He's got skill no doubt, but is that awareness there?

But Rodgers is no fool when it comes to dealing with the media, so one might wonder if his comments, are his not so subtle hint that Balotelli is affecting the squads morale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Fescue wrote: »
    Crouching Simon, Hidden Sakho.

That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Everything is ok :)

Liverpool AGREE £38m deal for Arsenal target Karim Benzema ;)

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/402884/Liverpool-AGREE-deal-for-Arsenal-target-Karim-Benzema

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Hodgson getting criticism from other managers for showing preferential treatment to Liverpool for not picking Sturridge, ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

I like Rodgers I like Rodgers, I like Rodgers, must not engage in knee jerk criticisms, must not engage in knee jerk....... Etc

Haaaaaaa ok now, proceed

Rodgers comments on Balotelli are pretty damning. Pretty, pretty damning.

I feel for Mario. Everyone knows what type of player he is, I don't think you can make him into the type of player that suits our style.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

I like Rodgers I like Rodgers, I like Rodgers, must not engage in knee jerk criticisms, must not engage in knee jerk....... Etc

Haaaaaaa ok now, proceed

For some reason, people think last season makes him immune to criticism, which is bollix. He is not the messiah, he's a very good manager. Now is the time to start proving how good he truly is. Talking pony to the press about players who are only a wet day at the club is stupid and shows a manager slightly under pressure IMO. He portrays that he is the boss, the man etc. if he didn't really want Balotelli, he shouldn't have signed him. And the fact that he and the committee believed that Balotelli was the best of a bad bunch available is worrying to me, considering there is many players out there who we could have signed.

I was fully on board with the Balotelli signing btw, and think when He plays up front with Sturridge we will see a different, more productive player.

At the moment he seems to be trying to wash his hands of any responsibility for the teams performance. The buck stops with him I'm afraid.

Less talk and concentrate on being more pragmatic in the search for results and confidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I knew I wasn't going mad, Andy Hunter also pointed out that Coutinho blanked Rodgers when he was subbed on Wednesday. He also said that there were angry exchanges between them during the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

I recall Coutinho chasing 1 guy in the first half just outside out box and then just stopping up. Showed a bad attitude to the game IMO

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement