Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

viper006 wrote: »
    How many more times are we going to say this every time united sign someone. Falcao and Di Maria are absolutlely amazing sigings of them. They are slowly upgrading almost every area of their team.

I would have much rathered Falcao than ballotelli to be honest. Having said that im happier falcao is going to united and not arsenal.

I'd be happier he went to City to be honest, a team I know we wont finish ahead of so it wont make a jot of difference to us. DiMaria and Falcao are serious signings, they have a good manager he will get them playing eventually, I just hope we are far out in front by the time he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Just watched the MOTD highlights (check out mostar lfc on twitter for link) and I have to say I have no idea how we managed to keep a clean sheet yesterday. Lovern and not sakho for me was at fault numerous times in that first half and made a shocking decision for the Chadli chance. That was a sitter and it should have been 1-1 at that stage. Lovern also pulled Ade jersey in the second half and it was more of a peno that the one we got. Mingolet looked very shaky at times.
    Despite all of that we should have scored 5+ again. We were mesmerising on the break and Henderson for me was the man of the match. He won the ball for the penalty. He assisted for Sterling. He was literally everywhere. Full backs were also quality, Moreno looks like a faster ashley young and is definitely not afraid to tackle. His goal was the icing on the cake. Sturridge also had two great long range efforts that later in the season he will probably score.
    Endless positives, a clean sheet and 21 very winnable points coming up
    Our first 10 games could see us with 9 wins and a loss to City. Last season we had 2 losses and 2 draws in our opening 10 games. Dreamland stuff I know but the fixtures posted above by gafferino should all be winnable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Not bothered as Falcao is effectively replacing RvP who is going under the knife and given his history you'd wonder how long he will be out and then if he can stay fit, while they are bringing a player who is himself on his third knee op at 29 - in the premier league with players like Robert Huth and Ryan Shawcross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

SlickRic wrote: »
    honestly, not that bothered about Falcao to Utd unless the rest of their spine, and the pace of their play, significantly improves.

Yeah, its certainly a weird one though. Its like their obvious weaknesses have been pointed out, but Van Gaal is putting his fingers in his ears and going, "La la la lala, I can't hear you".

Falcao, while obviously a great player, doesn't change it enough to give anything different to what RVP, Rooney and Mata are showing when on the pitch together.

They need pace, and something different in midfield. That defence is shaky as hell, as well.

However, they do have a lot of players to come back into the team following injury, and that will make a huge difference to them. Both in terms of the system they are employing now, pace of play, and effectiveness.

United won't give a full season with performances as they stand. When those players come back in, I'll start to worry, for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

I wouldn't be so dismissive of Utd, they have strengthened massively even if not in every position they need, but we showed last season that with a good enough attack you can compensate for a weak defense.

They will get better as the season goes on, so it's important that we build up as big a gap as possible while they are still in chaos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Loan Fee of 12m +200k per week.

Somebody saw Utd coming............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Talisman wrote: »
    2004/5 - Benitez inherited a bunch of Houllier's misfits.

There is a world of difference between the quality of the squad and the youth players that Rodgers inherited and that which Benitez started with.

You are forgetting a major factor - the league was less competitive then.
    City and Spurs were nowhere. Rafa finished behind Everton and ahead of Bolton on GOAL DIFFERENCE. Even with the team he inherited, he should have been top 4.

But like Rodgers, he got a season to fix it. I would say they are not far apart at the moment. Rodgers got lucky in having Suarez already at the club, and Sterling already coming though, but he deserves huge credit for how we play and his handling of players. And Rafa got credit as a tactical genius, he found a way to beat almost every great we came across, particularly in Europe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

The falcao signing really blows a hole in the silly excuse (used here often) that you need to be in the champions league to attract top players.

Guardians perfect description of Sterlings mazy run yesterday.

DLZj0hk.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Falco?

Don't see him suddenly turning around Man Utd's fortunes.

They have bigger problems in other areas of the pitch.

I also think what's been missed by many is the attitude of their opponents in matches these days. I didn't rate their 2012/2013 title-winning side at all. Far too many teams turned up at OT, rolled over and had their bellies tickled.

Now teams are targeting games against Man Utd for a result if not a win. It's refreshing to see.

Will they stay this bad for much longer? Probably not unfortunately, but I'm going to enjoy this while it lasts. We've already opened up a bit of a gap and gotten 2 tricky away fixtures and a potential home banana-skin out of the way. Hopefully by the time they click we'll be out of sight, or at least difficult to catch.
    They must have a massive wage bill at this stage - how sustainable will that be if they miss out on Europe again this season?

• Advertisement

ebbsy wrote: »
    Loan Fee of 12m +200k per week.
    rossie1977 wrote: »
    The falcao signing really blows a hole in the silly excuse (used here often) that you need to be in the champions league to attract top players.

And there is the reason. United are still a huge draw, with huge resources.
    But he's coming because of the piles of cash being thrown his way...

Tony Barrett on Twitter: Liverpool have lined up a move for Victor Valdes but are prepared to wait until the autumn in order for the free agent to prove his fitness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I didn't appreciate Rodgers laughing at the Balo and Sterling misses, found it a little disrespectful to the opposition abd we nearly lost the league on gd last year

Wow!

Complete opposite in reality. Obviously a very healthy dynamic going on within the dressing room and it was, in my opinion, an insight into why certain players are playing so well, i.e. allowed and encouraged to go out to express themselves, allowed to make mistakes and enjoy there football on the condition that they work hard for the team.

Disrespectful my arse to be honest. Criticise BR for any number of things but this angle is a dead end.

Circumstances are what matters sometimes - Di Maria was booted out of Real against their managers wishes, at 60 million quid only one club who wanted him could afford him - Utd. Di Maria needed to play somewhere so that was a perfect marriage of convenience.

Falcao to Utd is more interesting as City could have gone for him, Real were expected to go for him but for whatever reason both have passed, Monaco have to get rid as the project is collapsing due to the owner getting rinsed in a divorce.

Dickerty wrote: »
    You are forgetting a major factor - the league was less competitive then.
    City and Spurs were nowhere. Rafa finished behind Everton and ahead of Bolton on GOAL DIFFERENCE. Even with the team he inherited, he should have been top 4.

But like Rodgers, he got a season to fix it. I would say they are not far apart at the moment. Rodgers got lucky in having Suarez already at the club, and Sterling already coming though, but he deserves huge credit for how we play and his handling of players. And Rafa got credit as a tactical genius, he found a way to beat almost every great we came across, particularly in Europe...

That's a brilliant point, the league was nowhere near as competitive back then. I don't like to compare both managers but I'll just say both will go down in our history as key figures.

The one thing I will hold against Rafa is it took us 5 seasons to get anywhere near a title challenge and Rodgers did it in 2 and it was a much more sustained challenge than 2009.

It remains to be seen though if Rodgers can provide us with the same type of CL glory we experienced under Rafa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Suarez at Melwood today.
    BwcEAN5CQAA7sWx.jpg

Tony Barrett on Twitter: Liverpool have lined up a move for Victor Valdes but are prepared to wait until the autumn in order for the free agent to prove his fitness.

Rodgers strongly suggested that we'd bring in 1 more, which looks like it's definately a keeper. I wonder if Jones will move today, or sit as 3rd choice and maybe move down later, since the Aussie league starts in Oct?

That's us done so, after selling Suarez it really has been an exceptional window, one I believe will shape the team for the next 3-5 years.
    Well done to Ayre, Rodgers and the board. Its so refreshing to actually have a decent squad for once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Suarez at Melwood today.
    BwcEAN5CQAA7sWx.jpg

I don't get it?? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

It's great not to be involved on deadline day and just watch the other clubs panic buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

x43r0 wrote: »

He's collecting the last of his gear before fully moving to Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Suarez is at Melwood

BwcKMOCCAAArFGy.png

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Suarez at Melwood today.
    BwcEAN5CQAA7sWx.jpg
    x43r0 wrote: »

Clearing out his locker.

Lucas to Napoli on loan and Assaidi is digging in his heels over wages re Stoke.

Coates to Sunderland loan looks likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

So when all fit utd will have RVP, Mata, Falcao, Rooney, DiMaria. Sounds great until you realise its 5great players for at most three positions and pretty much nothing (yet) for the other 8 roles in the team.

Much as I'd have loved a real marquee signing, that's just insanity. I'm glad Liverpool took a more balanced approach, albeit a CM is still needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Wow!

Complete opposite in reality. Obviously a very healthy dynamic going on within the dressing room and it was, in my opinion, an insight into why certain players are playing so well, i.e. allowed and encouraged to go out to express themselves, allowed to make mistakes and enjoy there football on the condition that they work hard for the team.

Disrespectful my arse to be honest. Criticise BR for any number of things but this angle is a dead end.

Disrespectful to the opposition I said, we may have needed those goals, but we didn't, we won 3 - 0. if balo's attempt was in the last minute to get a result, no one would be laughing.

Just prefer a little more professionalism, we should be ruthless and that comes from the manager, but having a little giggle. It's my opinion, I'm on my own, so be it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

Saw this on BBC :)

_77299648_mufc.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

It's great not to be involved on deadline day and just watch the other clubs panic buy.

Nothing great about seeing united get falcao to be honest. Happy with our business no doubt but never like seeing this calibre of players going to rival clubs.

If borini is off , anyone reckon we would get a replacement or are we done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Nothing great about seeing united get falcao to be honest. Happy with our business no doubt but never like seeing this calibre of players going to rival clubs.

I'd say we're done, apart from maybe a Keeper, and if that's Valdés it doesn't have to be done today...

J.

Well if you look at the bench, we only have Lambert as back-up striker when we play 2 up top, but if we have injuries, I think it's more likely that we'd move to 1 up front and play Raheem, Marko, Coutinho or Lallana as the supporting players.
    Let's hope we don't need to do that too often...

Its Reus don't worry. Its on with Kagawa back at Dortmund! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Wow!

Going by what is being said on a few other sites, a few of the Spurs supporters sitting behind where Rodgers was standing were having some banter with him during the game, and were ribbing him after the misses.

There is meant to be some footage taken by one of the supporters behind Rodgers of the banter going on after the Sterling miss. Would suggest that Rodgers was smiling at whatever banter/sarky comments were flying around behind him, rather than laughing at his own players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Well if you look at the bench, we only have Lambert as back-up striker when we play 2 up top, but if we have injuries, I think it's more likely that we'd move to 1 up front and play Raheem, Marko, Coutinho or Lallana as the supporting players.
    Let's hope we don't need to do that too often...

Raheem can play up top too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Falcao is not the player he was and is injury prone. United need midfielders and defenders not another forward.

Falcao is not the player he was and is injury prone. United need midfielders and defenders not another forward.

I'd be very wary of labeling him as washed up! Some said that of Van Persie when he signed for them, and he won them the league...

djPSB wrote: »
    Raheem can play up top too.

Yes, but I wouldn't want to start a game with him as our central striker!

I think he could be great in that position though, like for his goal v Soton. He could be a trickier Michael Owen, if he works on his finishing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

The guy is clearly a massive mercenary, went to Monaco rather than one of the top European clubs and has been offered to City and Arsenal apparently and neither were interested, probably due to his wage demands. Also coming off a bad injury so who knows - he may be their saviour and he may be another expensive mistake. Only time will tell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

MD1990 wrote: »
    Suarez is at Melwood

BwcKMOCCAAArFGy.png

I always used to laugh at the British media labelling Suarez short or little when he is gerrards height

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Stevie will you please ask Luis if he will stay.....PLEASE!!! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    The guy is clearly a massive mercenary, went to Monaco rather than one of the top European clubs and has been offered to City and Arsenal apparently and neither were interested, probably due to his wage demands. Also coming off a bad injury so who knows - he may be their saviour and he may be another expensive mistake. Only time will tell!

Suarez is a mercenary and he did alright at pool ;)

Oh and city were very interested however due to FPP they needed to sell Negredo to be able to sign Falcao but Negredo's injury but an end to that.

I wouldn't worry about injury records, the loan deal means he can go back at the end of the season or they have the option to buy if he turns out to be the saviour. Cracking deal for united, no risk with a loan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Yeah, you just need £150 Million and crazy money on a loan signing.

Really, what does your post even mean? It doesn't take account of anything. Liverpool not being in the CL is not the same as United not in it!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

He's home.
    BwcT0ClIAAABekM.png

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

zarquon wrote: »
    Cracking deal for united, no risk with a loan!

He's costing United over £22 million for a single season. That's a massive risk if you ask me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Suarez is a mercenary and he did alright at pool ;)

Oh and city were very interested however due to FPP they needed to sell Negredo to be able to sign Falcao but Negredo's injury but an end to that.

I wouldn't worry about injury records, the loan deal means he can go back at the end of the season or they have the option to buy if he turns out to be the saviour. Cracking deal for united, no risk with a loan!

Meh, depends on the fee. If it's 10m in wages for the year, United's front line is costing 37m in wages alone this season. Not the kind of signing I'd want us to be making (though, obviously, not all LFC fans agree with this!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭ratracer

I'd be very wary of labeling him as washed up! Some said that of Van Persie when he signed for them, and he won them the league...

And then the next season kinda helped them to midweek nights off this season...:D

Falcao is potentially a good move for united, but if he's not getting support, and the rest of the team can't defend, he is a serious financial millstone around the neck. United can probably afford it, I think Balotelli is the much safer bet of these two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

He's costing United over £22 million for a single season. That's a massive risk if you ask me!

The fee is nowhere near that. Don't believe everything you read on twitter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Rafa did a great job at Liverpool, but I think it’s fair to say he came in to a slightly better position than Rodgers.

I think a bigger factor than the squads (which were a bit of a toss up between the two - both needed major surgery to get the required levels of quality and depth) is that the league when Rafa took over and now are very different places.

It was pretty easy to sit in the top 4 once we got going. It's been a huge battle to get there for Rodgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

vcj65oZ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

How much is it then? You seem very sure considering we're probably all reading from the same sources.

ratracer wrote: »
    And then the next season kinda helped them to midweek nights off this season...:D

Falcao is potentially a good move for united, but if he's not getting support, and the rest of the team can't defend, he is a serious financial millstone around the neck. United can probably afford it, I think Balotelli is the much safer bet of these two.

I think Balotelli makes more sense for us, and Falcao makes more for them. They need real firepower to mask their defensive failings, and to show that they cna still compete for the best players.
    We need someone who can replace Suarez's ability to make something from nothing, and who our Rodgers can work with to get the best of, which is a strength of his...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I didn't appreciate Rodgers laughing at the Balo and Sterling misses, found it a little disrespectful to the opposition abd we nearly lost the league on gd last year
    NukaCola wrote: »
    I agree. When he laughed at the Balotelli miss my monocle nearly popped into my cup of green tea i was so horrified! I immediately wrote a strongly worded letter to Mr Rodgers to put him in his place. Imagine, laughing at a miss......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement