Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

I can't help but get the feeling Rodgers is an average spin doctor, he will always defend himself as well in the media and attribute blame to stuff outside of his control

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Belgian and i said this during the WC and got slated.

:o French league Danny Welbeck I meant to say (yeah right!) I always thought Welbz *cough* was under-rated myself, his England performances were usually pretty effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

:o French league Danny Welbeck I meant to say (yeah right!) I always thought Welbz *cough* was under-rated myself, his England performances were usually pretty effective.

Disagree, always thought he was poor for England althoughnot played centrally either. His hat trick was very impressive, and I really admire Wenger for deploying him up the middle, but I wouldn't get carried away yet, one good game does not a good player maketh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

mosstin wrote: »
    Borini will solve nothing. Ever.

We need to play to Mario's strengths and that needs a second striker to do all the donkey work and Borini would be the best option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Rodgers going on about us being in transition is annoying as **** :(

I think he has to. There's the usual negative supporters like yourself to contend with, they are a given, but there are also those who got carried from last season. 4th was our target last season and suddenly some seem to think we should be mounting title challenges again. That would have been hard enough even keeping Suarez and having Sturridge fit!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well well well :eek::D
    A new survey has found that Liverpool are everybody’s favourite second team, with football fans saying they’re the least offensive side to follow in England.

It’s becoming increasingly common for many fans to cheer on another team as well as their own, and a survey conducted by William Hill set out to find out who most people go for.

And despite a variety of answers, Liverpool edged out Arsenal are the team that came up most often, with many fans saying they’re likely to opt to watch the Reds after their own.

Over 2000 fans were asked for their opinion, and 48% of those who plucked for Liverpool said they picked them because of ‘tactics and team style’.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/10/03/liverpool-are-everybodys-favourite-second-football-team-apparently-4890012/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Rumours on Twitter that Lambert will be starting instead of Balotelli tomorrow. Won't make a blind bit of difference if he's up there on his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

brevity wrote: »
    Rumours on Twitter that Lambert will be starting instead of Balotelli tomorrow. Won't make a blind bit of difference if he's up there on his own.

Hmmm he was poor against Boro in the cup...... He said so himself. Will need to step up big time if true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

If Gerrard plays today I'll be seriously annoyed. Not writing him off but he got quite leggy towards the end of the Basel game. He cant play 3 games in 8 days anymore. If he starts our Midfield will be bossed out of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

I'm not a big fan of Borini but I thought when he came on against Villa the team looked better attacking, we created chances at least. He has looked a better fit with Balotelli than Lambert, but for some reason Rodgers seems to think Lambert is the answer when we need a goal. Everytime Lambert and Balotelli play they just seem to be in each others way and easy to defend against.

• Advertisement

Give Lambert a go. At least you know he'll give it everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

How about we stop with the f**king 4-2-3-1 formation and play with two up top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

mav79 wrote: »
    How about we stop with the f**king 4-2-3-1 formation and play with two up top.

I'm pretty sure you've just summed up the last 100 pages of this thread in one sentence. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

NukaCola wrote: »
    If Gerrard plays today I'll be seriously annoyed. Not writing him off but he got quite leggy towards the end of the Basel game. He cant play 3 games in 8 days anymore. If he starts our Midfield will be bossed out of the game.

Prepare to be seriously annoyed then...there's no way he wont play.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Yep, almost no chance he is rested/dropped.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Anyone for Kolo Toure up front? Hear me out... he played as a striker underage up until he was 19. He is a big presence so could hold the ball up well and maybe knock on a few headers or one in all going well. He has plenty of experience and as a centre half he knows exactly the type of player WBA's centre halves won't want to mark, he can use that knowledge to be that player. It could work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Cartman78

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Anyone for Kolo Toure up front? Hear me out... he played as a striker underage up until he was 19. He is a big presence so could hold the ball up well and maybe knock on a few headers or one in all going well. He has plenty of experience and as a centre half he knows exactly the type of player WBA's centre halves won't want to mark, he can use that knowledge to be that player. It could work.

Jesus wept.....

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Rega

Hahahahahaha

Thanks. Needed a good laugh this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Bit early to be drunk no?

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Go back to bed.ya crazy person:)

I dont think things have gotten that bad yet.

5starpool wrote: »
    Yep, almost no chance he is rested/dropped.

It will be ridiculous to start him. The last time he played 3 in 8 days was against WH and he could barely move after 50 mins. I agree he'll more than likely start but he really shouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

It will be ridiculous to start him. The last time he played 3 in 8 days was against WH and he could barely move after 50 mins. I agree he'll more than likely start but he really shouldn't.

I still think he would be a good impact sub but BR won't do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

tumblr_lmhkw0ywlG1qd250v.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Can only see us struggling again today unfortunately, would take the ugliest of wins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Post of the year imo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Rodgers should give it a go. It might just work in a mad MacGuyver way. Would completely baffle the opposition.

Not only will he start today, he'll start every game this season!

Perhaps when Allen & Can are fit there might be the slight chance of rotation

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Not only will he start today, he'll start every game this season!

Perhaps when Allen & Can are fit there might be the slight chance of rotation

If he does get rested it'll probably be Lucas to cover. That brings its own dangers aswell. Freekick magnet. We cant deal with set pieces as it is.

If SG starts he'll be no use after HT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

BR saying no change in formation cos of lack of the right personnel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

If he does get rested it'll probably be Lucas to cover. That brings its own dangers aswell. Freekick magnet. We cant deal with set pieces as it is.

If SG starts he'll be no use after HT.

I think Lucas for 60 and Gerrard for 30 is a far better compromise.

Lucas is slow enough but he doesn't need the amount of babysitting that Gerrard does.

It's still not ideal but it frees up Hendo to get forward a bit more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Gbear wrote: »
    I think Lucas for 60 and Gerrard for 30 is a far better compromise.

Lucas is slow enough but he doesn't need the amount of babysitting that Gerrard does.

It's still not ideal but it frees up Hendo to get forward a bit more.

Absolutely. Shows what a selfless player Henderson is that he's sacrificing many of his stronger attributes, because there's a gaping hole in our midfield more often than not. Gerrard still definitely can contribute to this team but not in his present position and not for every game this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

He's supposed to be good at Sudoku.

Lucas was awful the last time he played. Wasn't he hauled off at halftime?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Starting Lambert today isn't a good idea. Last season was all about quick starts & Lambert won't provide that.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Starting Lambert today isn't a good idea. Last season was all about quick starts & Lambert won't provide that.

Worth trying something else.

It's not as if we are starting super quick the last 10 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

If ever Mario was to break his PL duck with us, today is the day. Taking him out today would be foolish. He hasn't played badly at all.

Worth trying something else.

It's not as if we are starting super quick the last 10 games.
    Lambert against Boro was shocking. Balotelli hasn't done that badly imo being made a scapegoat unfairly. Sterling up front with Balotelli should be tried imo.

It wasn't about him performing poorly though.

The Gerrard/Lucas midfield is always a disaster but playing one or the other isn't necessarily. It's about playing players either out of position or alongside players that don't complement them at all.

What's important is that they're not left on after their legs have gone (60-70 mins) and we're not sacrificing our attack to cover for their weaknesses.

With Gerrard you need a strong presence up front to stop the opponents crowding out your relatively sparse presence in midfield. In other words you need 2 up front.
    With Lucas we should be able to play our normal game with either 2 up front or 1 getting support from the rest of the front 5.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Last time he played was vs Boro and he was pretty good that game. Obviously it was just Middlesboro, but still.

• Advertisement

Lambert against Boro was shocking. Balotelli hasn't done that badly imo being made a scapegoat unfairly. Sterling up front with Balotelli should be tried imo.

I think that's a bit unfair on Lambert as well.
    He can only run as fast as is physically possible. It's up to Brendan to get the required support around him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If we play one up front we will struggle simple as that.

Gbear wrote: »
    I think that's a bit unfair on Lambert as well.
    He can only run as fast as is physically possible. It's up to Brendan to get the required support around him.
    Wouldn't mind Lambert starting with Sturridge but not on his own. Our midfield needs to support our striker more imo.

Wouldn't mind Lambert starting with Sturridge but not on his own. Our midfield needs to support our striker more imo.

He absolutely needs pace around him.

It's the same with Balotelli.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12040/9502368/brendan-rodgers-liverpool-could-suffer-more-setbacks

Absolute crazy comment to make , expect more setbacks and pain ?

I thought the signings were to strengthen our squad from last season from injures and add a new attacking dimension to our play , so why should we expect more of a fall back again ?

Our starting line up is mostly the same team from last season so is it because suarez is now gone we have to really fall on sturridge and become a team again to rely on one or 2 of our key players and if they are to be injured which is always a possibility we are screwed ?.

So far its absolutely crazy money spent and I have no idea what Brendan Rogers was thinking with a majority of the signings he has made.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12040/9502368/brendan-rodgers-liverpool-could-suffer-more-setbacks

Absolute crazy comment to make , expect more setbacks and pain ?

I thought the signings were to strengthen our squad from last season from injures and add a new attacking dimension to our play , so why should we expect more of a fall back again ?

Our starting line up is mostly the same team from last season so is it because suarez is now gone we have to really fall on sturridge and become a team again to rely on one or 2 of our key players and if they are to be injured which is always a possibility we are screwed ?.

So far its absolutely crazy money spent and I have no idea what Brendan Rogers was thinking with a majority of the signings he has made.

Then you read the story and it turns out to be a sensationlist headline

He never said expect more setbacks and pain. Not once. Everything he said there is perfectly logical.

I've been disappointed with Rodgers comments last few days. He is just saying anything to take pressure off himself rather than the team .

A loss today and the pressure will be huge. I can barely believe it being honest. Football fans really are fickle.

If this season turns out to be poor I would have thought BR would still have a huge backing. All it takes is a bad start to the season before people start to turn. Nature of the beast i guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Gerrard starting again and Lambert in for Balotelli.

No Sturridge on the bench.

Lambert up front on his own.

Absolute joke.

West Brom all the way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement