Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Getting Sturridge and Allen back to fitness and keeping both league fit will be the most important thing this season player wise.

Best bit of business Rodgers will do in the transfer window?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

poor old lambert, cade of careful what you wish for. He is at liverpool now and has found it a cut above his level. would rather see jerome sinclair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

I am actually going to take the credit for this as I started the match thread. My first one too. Happy to step up and do the QPR one too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I am pie wrote: »
    poor old lambert, cade of careful what you wish for. He is at liverpool now and has found it a cut above his level. would rather see jerome sinclair play.

Yesil would be a better "classic no 9" had he not been crocked for so long in the last 18 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

More of the same for the first half but I thought there was a lot more urgency and creativity in the final third for the second half. Perhaps a return to Gerrard's old attacking role for the time being?

Defensively solid throughout, should have been a clean sheet really, but still room for improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Lambert makes andy Carroll look like messi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Rodgers going on about us being in transition is annoying as **** :(

Hate to hear it as well.

Bangs of cop-out., an attempt to lower expectations and avoid blame.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Balotelli is so much better than Lambert in every single department. I dont want to run Lambert down, but he offered nothing up top on his own.

I'd have said lambert has a better first touch, is better in the air and tries harder.

I really think ballotelli is dining out on his CV of big clubs.

Delighted we won. Delighted for llanon, never doubted his signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Fescue wrote: »
    Anyone think Gerrard looked better playing as a 10 than as a deep lying playmaker?

That's where I play him in Fifa, and he's doing fine, just fine. And on that basis alone, I feel he should be moved further up the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

noodler wrote: »
    Hate to hear it as well.

Bangs of cop-out., an attempt to lower expectations and avoid blame.

Well there is an element of truth in it given additions. Also what is he supposed to say? He has also been quite critical too. It's a damned if you do damned if you don't type situation...... For all managers not just rodgers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I rate Lovren. But he was very poor today & very rash. Lambert will be gone in the summer & is way too slow. Sterling wasn't great but stayed trying hard & got an assist. Lallana & Henderson were excellent. Gerrard should be used as an occasional starter or sub in the AM position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

noodler wrote: »
    I'd have said lambert has a better first touch, is better in the air and tries harder.

I really think ballotelli is dining out on his CV of big clubs.

Delighted we won. Delighted for llanon, never doubted his signing.

Theres no denying who made a bigger impact today or who the better player is. Lambert is one of the slowest forwards we've ever had. I dont see where he fits in at all. Balotelli still has a way to go mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

There is no room for sentiment in football ... the weight of playing for Liverpool has weighted many a player down despite wanting them to do well so badly. From an Irish perspective Kennedy (Remember him) and Keane got their chances and i so badly wanted them to make it. Lambert just looks miles away from becoming a valued member of the team right now, mainly i guess cos he is not suiting the lone striker role but just looks devoid of any confidence. Never ceases to amaze me how players react in a different environment. Feel for the guy but he is out of his depth much like Ngog/Voronin/Babel even ...

It wasn't a very comfortable match to watch today, i imagine that the crowd sensed how vulnerable we were as well. There wasn't alot of chances created but we did show some signs of the workrate expected from our guys when not in possession usually lead by Hendo and Lallana in winning the ball back which was encouraging to say the least. We needed that win so badly ... follow it up with 1-2 more like it and we can turn the season around and find our confidence.

Not a Johnson fan, but it'll be interesting to see him pushed by Manquillo and with Allen/Can and Sturridge to come back soon the options to change a game will be great. Hopefully the International break will be kind to us this time around and we will return stronger for it! Fingers crossed for Sterling so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lovren and Skrtel were a shambles again so easily split both making stupid mistakes.

Moreno was way to forward when he didn't need to be.

It's crazy to say this that Johnson brought a bit of clam to the defence when he came on.

Once again this game showed even though we won that a defensive coach is needed.

BR subs today were perfect. He got those spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Would Sturridge and Balotelli up front work? Not sure it would being honest. There is a good dynamic between Sturridge and Sterling, would love to see it tried.

The only time they did was our one good performance this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Rodgers deserved the questions about his team management for the last couple of weeks, but today he deserves credit for changing the midfield. Having Henderson further forward utilized him to the best of his abilities. Harassing players in front of him and getting in and around the box. The best he's played this season. Also having Couthino deeper, next to Gerrard linked up play a lot better. Still a hell of a lot work to do with the team but the midfield looked a better unit today. Also Lallana is a f*cking dynamo he makes Henderson look lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Thank christ we got the three points. This past month has been far from pretty, but as things stand were in sixth place and one point behind fourth. Were likely to fall a couple places tomorrow, but as long as arsenal dont win at stamford bridge we'll still be one point behind fourth. Considering how poor weve been its a bit of a let off that were not in such a bad position. This international break has arrived at a good time for us, hopefully in two weeks time we'll have sturridge, allen and can available again and we'll be able to push on and improve our performances and returns. Im sure rodgers will be welcoming this two week break to assess whats been happening of late and look to do some hard work on the training pitch to fix some of our problems.

Henderson was far more effective today playing in a more advanced role. He got forward a lot and our attack looked a lot more threatening. It was also interesting to see gerrard playing further forward when lucas came on. Hopefully the. Return of allen and can will give rodgers some more options and he'll be able to address our midfield frailties

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

BR subs today were perfect. He got those spot on.

To be honest I was wondering about Lucas for Coutinho and then Lucas had two half decent chances and sent them miles over...perhaps a play maker would have done better. But happy all the same :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

There is no room for sentiment in football ... the weight of playing for Liverpool has weighted many a player down despite wanting them to do well so badly. From an Irish perspective Kennedy (Remember him) and Keane got their chances and i so badly wanted them to make it.

It probably says a lot about my age (or Mark Kennedy's impact) that my first thought on reading this was 'Ray Kennedy? Wasn't he Englilsh? And he did well for us too!' :eek:

J.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

mark-kennedy1.jpg?w=240&h=300

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So this was supposedly taken after the match!

Light at the end of the rainbow: Hopefully.

lM0B93p.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Was just looking up online and Anthony Gerrard who is Stevie's cousin has played U-18's for Ireland. Does that mean Stevie could have been eligible too?

Augmerson wrote: »
    Was just looking up online and Anthony Gerrard who is Stevie's cousin has played U-18's for Ireland. Does that mean Stevie could have been eligible too?

I read somewhere that he could have. Steve McManaman also apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Anthony and Steven share a common Irish grandparent - both are/were eligible for the Irish team.

• Advertisement

Henderson has improved immensely since his arrival. Probably our most important player. He should be a reminder to all not to judge young players too quickly. Certainly proved me and many others wrong I'd imagine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Henderson has improved immensely since his arrival. Probably our most important player. He should be a reminder to all not to judge young players too quickly. Certainly proved me and many others wrong I'd imagine.

Love seeing the lad scoring like he did today.
    Liked him running over to Coutinho to have a word with him as he was going off.

Top lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Without a doubt a future LFC captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The passion you see from him when he scores tells you everything about the lad. Our club is in great hands when he takes over as captain eventually. Nailed on future England captain too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Henderson is so good now. What a player. If he hadn't have been sent off against Manchester City and suspended for three games, i really think we would have won the league.

Our next captain, no doubt about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I liked seeing Henderson have a quite word with Coutinho when he was being subbed.

He's a top top top top player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

100% true based on the fact in the old championship manager days you could try and get in there early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Super-Rush wrote: »
    I liked seeing Henderson have a quite word with Coutinho when he was being subbed.

I'd go so far as to have five tops there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Super-Rush wrote: »

Don't be giving it all that now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

hefferboi wrote: »
    Jesus I fcuking love Jordan Henderson! Some passion from the lad!

Good call by Rodgers to make him vice captain

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Loving Lallana. Gonna be a top player for us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Loving Lallana. Gonna be a top player for us

Lallanaistheman??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Lallanaistheman??

Was plugging for Mario but may take the long term option in Lallana :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

monkey9 wrote: »
    Henderson is so good now. What a player. If he hadn't have been sent off against Manchester City and suspended for three games, i really think we would have won the league.

Our next captain, no doubt about it.

First name on the teamsheet, along with Sterling.

Just shows that all players need time to settle into the team.

He'll captain from the knees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Sure Henderson would probably kneel from the knees.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Sure Henderson would probably kneel from the knees.

1412436982950_wps_53_Jordan_Henderson_of_Liver.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Henderson has developed into an even better player than I thought he would. Then again, I also thought he'd make a better right midfield player than central midfield player. Just looking back on older posts about him, and here's a selection from February 2012. Such a transformation and development in the space of 2 years, but it was clear even back then that a number of people still felt that there was potential:
    Paully D wrote:
    Well, we're 3/4 of the way through the season now:

What are your thoughts/opinions on Jordan Henderson?

Cheers.
    Iang87 wrote:
    honestly I think he looks out of his depth
    Largely anonymous.
    G.K. wrote:
    Promising when played in CM, shocking when played RW.
    K-9 wrote:
    Nice footballer, definitely talented but I'd say a bit like our other big signings, over awed at the start at the level of expectations. Had a few decent games around December/January but I'm a bit disappointed in the last couple of appearances, probably our poorest player on Sunday.

I've a notion he'll learn a lot from Gerrard playing along side him, maybe slightly over awed since he came back and that might explain the last couple of appearances.
    Mr Alan wrote:
    I think, although he was overpriced, I've seen enough to think he could be a very good player for us for 10 years. Happy to have him.
    Overpriced and since we bought him Kenny and Co have made some very bizarre decisions. He's definitely got the talent but he has been handled very badly by Kenny which hopefully won't set him back to much.
    daithijjj wrote:
    How about we wait and see where we are in 12/24 months with Henderson?.

9 months ago everyone was telling me he was a right winger when i was a saying he was a centre mid. I think the penny has dropped and he will continue to play central. Lets give the guy a chance to settle in midfield, he is only 21 and nearly played 100 prem games. By all accounts he has a great attitude and is a very good professional and will play wherever the manager asks. He is regularly in the top 2 in our team for ground covered, his effort for the team isnt a question. While not controlling games, he plays simple passes, keeps things ticking over.

At the end of next season he will only be 22, crazy idea but how about cutting the young man some slack and letting him mature a bit in the team.
    Limited player IMO.

He has youth on his side but i can't see him becoming anything more than a useful squad player.
    Paully D wrote:
    I'm surprised to hear that he's been better in the centre of midfield, I've always thought he performed better for us on the right hand side of midfied (as did the majority of Sunderland fans) but in fairness I suppose Bruce, Capello and Dalglish know a slight bit more than myself and other Sunderland fans

I could definitely seen him learning a lot from Gerrard. There's no better player to learn from in that CM role to be honest. To put it into context though, at the same age as Henderson, Gerrard had played over 120 games for Liverpool in all competitions scoring 15 goals (from my quick calculations, could be slightly more or less). Madness really, just proves how good Gerrard was/is.
    djPSB wrote:
    I don't think it's fair to compare him to Gerrard.

Different types of players.

Henderson will be a good signing for us over the next few years.

In fairness to Dalglish, he has steady the ship big time. Although none of his signings have been excellent, the players he has bought provide a good base for going forward.

When you look at the most successful teams in England over the last few years, they all had a backbone of British + Irish talent apart from maybe Rafa's CL team, but that team disintegrated fairly quickly.

I think Kenny wanted to put that base of players in place to build for the future. So over the next 5/6 years the team will be built around players like Gerrard, Downing, Carroll, Adam, Henderson, Kelly, Johnson, Sterling.
    Of all our "dodgy" summer signings - Adam, Henderson, Downing - Henderson is the only one I'd consider buying again.

I'd give him a 6/10 this season, but I've no doubt he will improve, and at the very least be a good player for us.

Henderson's value may not come from being a great player for us, but rather being a very good player who stays with us for many years. The longer he stays and contributes the less expensive his transfer fee starts to look.
    5starpool wrote:
    He's better than Downing. Hardly a resounding endorsement

He's young and will hopefully improve to a standard where he won't look constantly out of place as he has done for a lot of the season so far.
    copacetic wrote:
    He is still mostly potential but is showing more and more for me. On Sunday he created the 5th goal by winning header on edge of the area then out running everyone to collect his own header out and run it into their half before putting in a well spotted if ballooned pass.

He is doing more of the one off quality items to go with the run all day average play he can get caught up in.
    Morzadec wrote:
    If our aim is to get back into the top 4 and stay there, then that'll mean a of a lot of extra matches. Very few top teams have a set starting XI, so I would see Henderson's future as a squad player - I don't mean backup I mean squad player, like rotated. You can't go in with 2/3 starting mids and hope for mediocre/youth players to do the filling in.

So yes I would reckon Henderson has a future at the club, but I don't know if he will ever be a 'star' in the team. That said if he improves as much between now and 24/25 as Lucas has I may change my tune!

What do I think of Henderson so far? Well, I'll be honest I probably would've preferred if we had hung on to Meireles given the fees involved. At first I thought he was very very poor and didn't see much in him. But he's progressed, and like many have said he is far better in the CM role than out wide. He's got great work rate and stamina, a good one touch, and has shown the odd glimpse of impressive vision and good through balls. I expect this to improve with experience.

I feel there's a lot of areas he can improve on though:

Mentally: It's been mentioned here before, but Henderson has a tendency to go hiding when he's not having a good game. He needs to improve his 'moral courage' as Giles would term it - if things aren't going his way he'd rather not make more mistakes and thus appears anonymous or takes the easy option. This is something Lucas was guilty of at the same age and has improved immensely at the last few years.

Physically: This probably comes under mentally too in some ways. I feel he is still a bit weak in the tackle, and this is a mixture of a lack of bravery and a physical weakness also. He might fill out a bit and hopefully become a greater force off the ball. He covers a lot of ground but I don't think he's the best at winning 50/50s or making a strong clean tackle. Nowhere near the league of Lucas for example (although I know they're different players).

Technically: Has a decent cross, hopefully he can improve further on this. I'm not sure how good his shooting is - I don't know if he offers much of a shot from range, which is not essential but is a nice bonus to have from your centre-mid. He's only got one goal in 26. It's not a terrible stat, no one has been banging them in for us this year, but ultimately as a CM usually playing in a slightly more advanced role and with the odd appearance out wide, you would be expecting more goals in the future if he is to become a top midfielder.

Positionally/tactically: I expect Henderson to improve here as I suppose this is arguably where you improve most with top level experience. Going back to the goals point, I would like to see him getting into the box more and getting on the end of things ala Gerrard/Lampard in their prime. Not sure if it's tactical instructions that see him hang back, or that he's hiding slightly or just doesn't see the opportunities, but centre-mids these days score goals and often get into the box to do so. I don't see Henderson doing this all that often.

If he can improve on all these things he'll be a top player. I'm not trying to be harsh, it's true he's only 21 and we only have to look at Lucas at 21 to see how much you can improve in the next 3 years.

Ultimately my prediction is that he won't become World Class; he'll be a pretty important player for us and will be in the England set up but not a regular starter in which I imagine Wilshere will be the standout young English midfielder of his generation

ITS FVCKING LOAN WATCH!

Texieria - Full game in 1-1 away draw between Watford and Brighton & HA
    Wisdom - loan tied for WBA
    Alberto - Unused sub for Malaga in 2-1 home win
    Ibe - played 65 mins in 0-0 game for Derby - carded for a dive!
    Origi - Played full game scoring goal in 1-1 away draw to Wolfsburg midweek plays tomorrow in league
    Smith - Unused sub for Swindon Town (just back from injury)
    Ilori - Injured after 27 mins of Bordeaux game - hamstring :(
    Ossiadi - Came on at 18 mins as sub in 1-3 defeat to Sunderland
    Coates - no game for Sunderland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

rarnes1 wrote: »
    1412436982950_wps_53_Jordan_Henderson_of_Liver.jpg

Such a strange running technique.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Last_Minute

Lallana = next Mcmanaman

Theres no denying who made a bigger impact today or who the better player is. Lambert is one of the slowest forwards we've ever had. I dont see where he fits in at all. Balotelli still has a way to go mind.

I didn't see the game today as my own game coincided so I can't comment.

I also don't think Lambert can be up on his own. I'd love to see a few more ballo+starring v starring +Lambert displays.

Watching MOTD, it was noted how Liverpool have forgotten how to press the opposition and break the lines as the side did after a slow start last season, hopefully now Lallana is in his groove and Sturridge is back, plus Allen to help keep Hendo forward we'll see more of that sort of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭skippy15

ITS FVCKING LOAN WATCH!

Texieria - Full game in 1-1 away draw between Watford and Brighton & HA
    Wisdom - loan tied for WBA
    Alberto - Unused sub for Malaga in 2-1 home win
    Ibe - played 65 mins in 0-0 game for Derby - carded for a dive!
    Origi - Played full game scoring goal in 1-1 away draw to Wolfsburg midweek plays tomorrow in league
    Smith - Unused sub for Swindon Town (just back from injury)
    Ilori - Injured after 27 mins of Bordeaux game - hamstring :(
    Ossiadi - Came on at 18 mins as sub in 1-3 defeat to Sunderland
    Coates - no game for Sunderland

Everytime I check in on Origi he seems be scoring and playing well. Anyone being watching him more closely give a good update.
    With sturidge, borini, balotelli, and origi due back would seem borini has be moved on with names we have been linked with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Watching MOTD, it was noted how Liverpool have forgotten how to press the opposition and break the lines as the side did after a slow start last season, hopefully now Lallana is in his groove and Sturridge is back, plus Allen to help keep Hendo forward we'll see more of that sort of thing.

Sturridge will help big time with quick counters and the pressing should get better as players settle in.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement