Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Better performance and result today, although still far from perfect. Rodgers got the calls right today, Henderson was much more effective and it looked as if there was a bit more movement from the midfield than there has been in recent weeks. Really like the look of Lallana, impresses me more every time I see him, very intelligent footballer and I'm confident he will prove to be a good signing.

Unfortunately I'm getting the opposite feeling about Lovren. He hasnt had a good game for us to date and today he looked extremely shaky, unlucky that he conceded a penalty and not just a free kick but it was a stupid tackle to make, will be watching him closely over the next few weeks. A few people seem to think Balotelli performed well, didn't see it myself but willing to give him a while longer, his performances haven't been too bad it's just his lack of goals which is worrying.

Glad Johnson is back, I think Manquillo could do with a break. He has been solid so far but I think he is in danger of becoming the next Insua if he doesn't get a break, his game has a few weaknesses - his crosses are very poor and he gets caught out of position sometimes, but overall he has been good, thought it was the correct decision to bring on Johnson today though.

3 points and hopefully a few players will be back from injury by the time the next game comes around. Relief more than anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Loving Lallana. Gonna be a top player for us

I've now watched it a few times and that goal today was absolutely class. The MOTD lads giving a lot of credit to Henderson for the pass, which was in fairness very good, but the drag back by Lallana to give himself room and take a player out of the game was brilliant and then the run and finish was class too. If that was Suarez we would be salivating. The last 3-4 games he has been our best player IMO. Excited to see him with Sturridge, Allen et al.

Was plugging for Mario but may take the long term option in Lallana :)

Please don't as your choices end up getting sold!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Ciano35

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Please don't as your choices end up getting sold!

In that case he should change it to boriniistheman :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

After the second goal yesterday the confidence of the team soared we pushed and pushed for a third.
    It was brilliant seen Stevie so far forward, long time since we seen that. It's where I would like to see him too not trying dictate a game it's just not him, never was.
    Lallana has looked a class apart as I expected he really is a lovely player but put in so much work. With him and Hendo further forward they would run midfields ragged.

Much better from mario yesterday he was getting into the correct positions but the balls weren't getting to him. I still think him and Danny could forge a nice partnership.

Can't believe I'm saying it was good to see johnson back I'm hoping with some good competition now we will see the ability we know he does have.

I'm not going to get too excited but I'm confident with everyone back it will look a lot more fluid and the confidence will build from there. 3 games coming up now we really should be winning before we attempt to get revenge on chelsea at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

ITS FVCKING LOAN WATCH!

Ibe - played 65 mins in 0-0 game for Derby - carded for a dive!

Great stuff,get him back!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Anyone watching the Man Utd game?

They are certainly our biggest threat for a top 4 finish this season. They bought real top quality in the transfer window rather than potential.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

They are certainly our biggest threat for a top 4 finish this season. They bought real top quality in the transfer window rather than potential.

Good going forward, still bad at the back though. They have some tough games coming up and will certainly be in the mix for top 4 for sure, but aside from City and Chelsea I don't think anyone else is a certainty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Everton U21 v Liverpool U21, at 3 pm no tv coverage due to "upgrades" at LFCtv AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

5starpool wrote: »
    Good going forward, still bad at the back though. They have some tough games coming up and will certainly be in the mix for top 4 for sure, but aside from City and Chelsea I don't think anyone else is a certainty.

No different to ourselves last season. We've regressed in the attacking department and probably static in the defense also.

I believe its between us and them for 4th.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

No different to ourselves last season. We've regressed in the attacking department and probably static in the defense also.

I believe its between us and them for 4th.

Too early to say really. Us or them could conceivably go on a great run while Arsenal stutter, leaving Arsenal/Spurs to fight it out with the other team for 4th. Who knows really.

Ya watching it too. To be honest buying falcao and di maria you know what your going to get they are world class. Still think there defence is really poor, worse than ours imo. But they have a very good manager and the money to add whoever they want.

They play arsenal, city and Chelsea in the next 5 games after throwing away a supposed easy start, that will test there top 4 credentials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Utd have spent 150 million quid to have 1 more point than Liverpool having played Swansea, Burnley, QPR, Leicester, Sunderland West Ham and Everton (the latter two by the very skin of their teeth) . Not worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Utd have spent 150 million quid to have 1 more point than Liverpool having played Swansea, Burnley, QPR, Leicester, Sunderland West Ham and Everton (the latter two by the very skin of their teeth) . Not worried.

Only scored 3 more goals as well, despite having bought world class talent and us buying dirt and not playing well up front.

Its way to early to judge how the league will go and people are getting too worked up.

Although if Arsenal lose today, they are out of it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

will can be available for the qpr game ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

noodler wrote: »
    Hate to hear it as well.

Bangs of cop-out., an attempt to lower expectations and avoid blame.

With so many new players coming in and our most influential player leaving, how can it be anything other than a period of transition?

I just wish the transition had been handled more conservatively - in terms of team line-ups it has been an unmitigated disaster to throw in a timid 20 year old - Markovic and in terms of team formation we have been badly exposed at the back. These mistakes have been repeated which is even more annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Well. We're on the same points as arsenal.

And were in transition, yet no one is calling their season a flop.

*Shrug*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

garra wrote: »
    With so many new players coming in and our most influential player leaving, how can it be anything other than a period of transition?

I just wish the transition had been handled more conservatively - in terms of team line-ups it has been an unmitigated disaster to throw in a timid 20 year old - Markovic and in terms of team formation we have been badly exposed at the back. These mistakes have been repeated which is even more annoying.

Because you are supposed to build on your success and not start again

it was a cop out statement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Mr_Red wrote: »
    Because you are supposed to build on your success and not start again

it was a cop out statement

Hard to build on your success when the main reason for your success ups and leaves

Hope Arsenal lose today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Vicxas wrote: »
    Well. We're on the same points as arsenal.

And were in transition, yet no one is calling their season a flop.

*Shrug*

Season is easily salvageable after the bad start. Can Allen sturridge and sakho back after the break will be massive, season starts then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Hard to build on your success when the main reason for your success ups and leaves

agreed but 1 player leaving does not mean transition.

You had the chance to replace one of the best strikers in the world with another one.... But instead bought loads of Squad players.

Your team didnt need transition. You needed to replace like for like or better.

United did this for years depending on one player and always tried to replace the single player with a better one.

Transition started for your team when BR started and Liverpool transformed over 2 seasons into an excellent team. thats transition completed. this season he should have changed single pieces of the Jigsaw that gives the extra mile.

Instead he has ripped up the script and used a transition excuse so he doesn't get slaughtered by the fans.

Your team cant make last season a once off event. If Liverpool Fuck up are you going to except this transition excuse back to 7th or 8th.

This is the first time United and Liverpool look like a mess in the same season.

Calling liverpool a mess is ridiculous it's fine margins. A wonder strike from Everton and the absence of Sturridge have stopped us from been in the top 3.

You cant just sell a world class once in a lifetime player and expect the team not to struggle couple that with the injury to arguably one of the leagues top strikers.

4 points behind City and 6 behind chelsea with them to come to Anfield soon, I can live with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

You had the chance to replace one of the best strikers in the world with another one.... But instead bought loads of Squad players.

United did this for years depending on one player and always tried to replace the single player with a better one.

Transition started for your team when BR started and Liverpool transformed over 2 seasons into an excellent team. thats transition completed. this season he should have changed single pieces of the Jigsaw that gives the extra mile.

Instead he has ripped up the script and used a transition excuse so he doesn't get slaughtered by the fans.

Your team cant make last season a once off event. If Liverpool Fuck up are you going to except this transition excuse back to 7th or 8th.

This is the first time United and Liverpool look like a mess in the same season.

Have to disagree with this. We lost our best player and had to try and prepare for the rigours of the Champions League. Losing your best player alone and trying to replace him is a difficult task. Having to then improve the squad almost all over the pitch was always going to be a very difficult task.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

The squad was too thin, it needed to built up if we want to be able to compete in Europe in addition to the number of fixtures we had last season. That's what this transfer window addressed and going from a good team with barely anyone good outside the starting 11 to a good team with good bench/rotation is very much a transition period.

5 out of 11 players who started yesterday were new signings.

If that's not transition I don't know what is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

At this stage, I think its fairly clear its City v Chelsea for the title. On that front we can only hope that the likes of Arsenal,Spurs and United lose to those two.

United will improve and they will probably buy a quality center back/midfielder in January which will make them more solid at the back.

We just have to hope Liverpool will improve. Allen, Sturridge and Can all to come back and fingers crossed no injuries during the international break.

We are lucky we are only 1 point off fourth spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

4th year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

In retrospect, what did we really expect given the number of new faces that have come into the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

In retrospect, what did we really expect given the number of new faces that have come into the team.

To be better defensively even if we're not scoring as many goals

We have been quite unlucky with injuries tbf, especially to Sturridge.

The signing of two world class players in Fabregas and Costa show that sometimes investing big into two players of that standard work and was something I thought/hoped we would do this season.

I know other factors are involved with wages, desire to come and that we had to strengthen the squad etc etc but still, when people give out about just going for proven talent just point them towards those too.

Transformed Chelsea this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

8-10 wrote: »
    To be better defensively even if we're not scoring as many goals

That is true of course. I was mainly thinking in the context of us as an attacking threat.

The defensive issues are a long standing concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

That is true of course. I was mainly thinking in the context of us as an attacking threat.

The defensive issues are a long standing concern.

To me that was the genuine expectation though. We didn't expect to be scoring 100 goals again so focus on not conceding 50 again. I expected the attack to be worse but expected more of the defence than what I've seen so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

joe123 wrote: »
    The signing of two world class players in Fabregas and Costa show that sometimes investing big into two players of that standard work and was something I thought/hoped we would do this season.

I know other factors are involved with wages, desire to come and that we had to strengthen the squad etc etc but still, when people give out about just going for proven talent just point them towards those too.

I would hope that now we have a decent sized squad, the next number of windows will be about bringing in one or two top notch players.

I will despair if we are bringing in 5/6 young players every window.

• Advertisement

Fescue wrote: »
    I would hope that now we have a decent sized squad, the next number of windows will be about bringing in one or two top notch players.

I will despair if we are bringing in 5/6 young players every window.

Going to be hard if we dont make Champions League. Serious battle on our hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Thing is though that neither Fabregas or Costa would have come here. Chelsea are guaranteed CL football every year and are certs for a PL tilt. We have spent a lot of money on potential - too early to write anyone off yet - but it's left us further behind this season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

mosstin wrote: »
    Thing is though that neither Fabregas or Costa would have come here. Chelsea are guaranteed CL football every year and are certs for a PL tilt. We have spent a lot of money on potential - too early to write anyone off yet - but it's left us further behind this season.

Weren't we trying to sign Costa a year or two ago?

Augmerson wrote: »

A year or two ago Costa wasnt really thought of as being that good.

We have gone through a poor spell, its coincided with the start if the season, compounded or caused by injuries, Liverpool aren't in a bad position regarding challenging for top 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

We just need to get everyone fit and win our next three games which we should do if we have our best 11 out.
    Get something against chelsea at home and
    Johnson (for all the giving out about him me included) might bring a bit of calmness and much need experience to that back line.

Qpr up next.

johnson Skrtel Lvren Moreno
    Gerard
    HendersonLalanna Coutinho
    Sterling Ballotelli

Bring Sturride on with 30 minutes to go.

By fans of the premiership??

:)

Yes he was.

punk_one82 wrote: »
    Yes he was.

Last season was the first time he scored more then 10 games in a league season

Did he come?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

mosstin wrote: »
    Did he come?

Well obviously he didn't? The thing is we did try and our scouts or Rodgers saw the ability that Costa had.

I get your point and I know that neither of those players who went to Chelsea would come to Liverpool (at least until we establish ourselves in the CL) but I just wanted to say we did try to get him before he reached the level he is at now.

We have spent a lot of money on potential as you mentioned and I think that's the right approach for the club right now.

Last season was the first time he scored more then 10 games in a league season

Coincidentally it was also the first time he was the attacking focus of the team he was playing for. You can't just use goalscoring stats to suggest he wasn't highly thought of. He was playing with Falcao.

Well obviously he didn't? The thing is we did try and our scouts or Rodgers saw the ability that Costa had.

I get your point and I know that neither of those players who went to Chelsea would come to Liverpool (at least until we establish ourselves in the CL) but I just wanted to say we did try to get him before he reached the level he is at now.

We have spent a lot of money on potential as you mentioned and I think that's the right approach for the club right now.

I think we need to be bolder or risk being left behind. Sanchez - who we were in for - would have been a superb acquisition. Markovic was a puzzling signing given that he plays in a position that didn't seem to need urgent reinforcement.
    It remains to be seen how the players we signed this summer pan out - and it is definitely too early to make any calls - but you pay for proven quality and you improve.

1016374_594701267306985_23066189436450219_n.jpg?oh=468aa1f3658c3b1ac323984e586dcc96&oe=54C5E18F&__gda__=1422866914_41818f461940b4d870a209e8eb4a81b2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Completely different situations though.

Chelsea had a squad already. They didn't need bodies. And they have about 38 pretty high calibre players on loan as well. They rather circuitously bought themselves into a stable position from where they could make a serious assault on the top level trophies. A couple of top class additions were what they needed to bring their first 11 up to snuff.

We weren't in a position to be sign 2 or 3 players this summer. As it stands we've struggled with injuries. If we had 2 or 3 fewer players we'd have been utterly ****ed and would continue to be ****ed for the whole season unless we had a miraculously lucky injury record.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement