Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

rarnes1 wrote: »
    1016374_594701267306985_23066189436450219_n.jpg?oh=468aa1f3658c3b1ac323984e586dcc96&oe=54C5E18F&__gda__=1422866914_41818f461940b4d870a209e8eb4a81b2

35 days a Munich player.
    5 MotM's.
    2 Bundes Liga records broken.
    Most passes, touches and distance covered.
    Xabi Alonso.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

DVDM93 wrote: »
    35 days a Munich player.
    5 MotM's.
    Xabi Alonso.

and proud father to Alberto Moreno

Oh, and he's still at this...

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

35 days a Munich player.
    5 MotM's.
    Xabi Alonso.

He was too old for us and not what we needed though, or so half this thread believed. I'd have loved Xabi back.

5starpool wrote: »
    He was too old for us and not what we needed though, or so half this thread believed. I'd have loved Xabi back.

I dunno how Bayern are playing this season (they have got over a sticky start) but I do know how Gerrard has been and yes Alonso would be a serious upgrade as the "controller" as I believe this role is now to be described as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

and proud father to Alberto Moreno

Mammy Xabi.

BvBju5iCYAIE18y.jpg

Mammy Xabi.

BvBju5iCYAIE18y.jpg

I still would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

196 passes in one game. I can't even comprehend that.

The guy has still got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Knex. wrote: »

He's such a legend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

punk_one82 wrote: »
    Coincidentally it was also the first time he was the attacking focus of the team he was playing for. You can't just use goalscoring stats to suggest he wasn't highly thought of. He was playing with Falcao.

You cant use goal scored as a stat for a striker?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Knex. wrote: »

Daddy or Xabi? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Fuhrer wrote: »

Absolutely you can. But you can't use them as a stat for a striker who isn't being played as a striker. :)

It's also known as the "Welbeck manoeuvre " in footballing circles. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

I said you can't just use goalscoring stats. He was not the main outlet for attacks in the team he was playing in, Radamel Falcao was. To say Diego Costa wasn't highly thought of before last season because he didn't score over 10 league goals is just plain wrong.

punk_one82 wrote: »
    I said you can't just use goalscoring stats. He was not the main outlet for attacks in the team he was playing in, Radamel Falcao was. To say Diego Costa wasn't highly thought of before last season because he didn't score over 10 league goals is just plain wrong.

He scored 20 goals in total the season before last. Also, the season before that he scored 10 league goals in 16 apps. He has been highly rated for at least 3 years now, perhaps not in England as he was unknown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Last season was the first time he scored more then 10 games in a league season

Last season was the first time he played as a central striker in a good side.

He played off of Falcao the season before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I still would.

No! No! No! Noooooooooooooooooo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Mammy Xabi.

BvBju5iCYAIE18y.jpg

That's like an Aphex Twin video shoot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

rarnes1 wrote: »
    5 out of 11 players who started yesterday were new signings.

If that's not transition I don't know what is

Here me out here, on everybody's wishlist at the end of last season was a new fullback or two, a new central midfielder and a new centre halve.

Would the signing of these 3/4 players and the inclusion of them being put into the team have been considered a new period of transition?

I think we are letting the team away with way too much here.

With Suarez - we all wanted 3/4 new players = progress.

Without Suarez - we wanted 3/4 new players plus a new striker = period of transition.

Is it really the number of new players that is the problem? I'd argue it is the quality at this stage (as well as Suarez).

TL;DR It makes far more sense to blame our problems on the failure to replace Suarez than the number of new signings. We were always going to buy new players - especially with the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Gbear wrote: »
    Completely different situations though.

Chelsea had a squad already. They didn't need bodies. And they have about 38 pretty high calibre players on loan as well. They rather circuitously bought themselves into a stable position from where they could make a serious assault on the top level trophies. A couple of top class additions were what they needed to bring their first 11 up to snuff.

We weren't in a position to be sign 2 or 3 players this summer. As it stands we've struggled with injuries. If we had 2 or 3 fewer players we'd have been utterly ****ed and would continue to be ****ed for the whole season unless we had a miraculously lucky injury record.

Yep hence why I said I know we had to strengthen the squad. If we can make it into the champions league next season, I fully expect (hope) us to go for that standard of player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

joe123 wrote: »
    Yep hence why I said I know we had to strengthen the squad. If we can make it into the champions league next season, I fully expect (hope) us to go for that standard of player.

That's what everyone expected this summer. And what the manager said he wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Mr Alan wrote: »
    That's what everyone expected this summer. And what the manager said he wanted.

True.

I'm getting a bit sick of hearing "next season". Seems to be a handy excuse a lot of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Mr_Red wrote: »
    agreed but 1 player leaving does not mean transition.

You had the chance to replace one of the best strikers in the world with another one.... But instead bought loads of Squad players.

Your team didnt need transition. You needed to replace like for like or better.

United did this for years depending on one player and always tried to replace the single player with a better one.

Transition started for your team when BR started and Liverpool transformed over 2 seasons into an excellent team. thats transition completed. this season he should have changed single pieces of the Jigsaw that gives the extra mile.

Instead he has ripped up the script and used a transition excuse so he doesn't get slaughtered by the fans.

Your team cant make last season a once off event. If Liverpool Fuck up are you going to except this transition excuse back to 7th or 8th.

This is the first time United and Liverpool look like a mess in the same season.

I highly doubt Ronaldo or Messi would have signed for us, after that there is no like for like strikers out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Fsg and Rodgers transfer plan seems to be youth and potential focused rather than the finished article. Balo is the biggest "marquee" name to date. Would be interesting to see if we made cl again next year how we would go about things, I would hope we aim for the top tier then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

klose wrote: »
    Fsg and Rodgers transfer plan seems to be youth and potential focused rather than the finished article. Balo is the biggest "marquee" name to date. Would be interesting to see if we made cl again next year how we would go about things, I would hope we aim for the top tier then.

Failing to get CL for next year would be unforgiveable. Brendan would have to get the boot. Failing to win league is not possible at the moment as we are ****e and I would just accept that as a lesson learned and wait another year.

We spent a fortune in the summer and not on potential but some proven players and things are not right. At some point we have to attribute blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

35 days a Munich player.
    5 MotM's.
    Xabi Alonso.

We should fly a plane over the Allianz Arena begging him to come home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Damien360 wrote: »
    Failing to get CL for next year would be unforgiveable. Brendan would have to get the boot. Failing to win league is not possible at the moment as we are ****e and I would just accept that as a lesson learned and wait another year.

We spent a fortune in the summer and not on potential but some proven players and things are not right. At some point we have to attribute blame.

Why would it be unforgivable? Last year was a freak year.

Same as winning the leauge next year? Have you forgotten about the last 15 years of Liverpool.

I'd forgive him and I don't think he'd have to get the boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Same as winning the leauge next year? Have you forgotten about the last 15 years of Liverpool.

Why only 15 years?

We have been talking about next year for 15 years. Last year finally was the closest to it. I don't believe in freak years.

We played well last year and deserved to be in the top 2. We should have capitalised on that and moved to be a genuinely competitive team for this year.

We are playing like a mid table team, destined to remain just that. We invested a fortune and although we lost our talisman, we should be stronger. Top 4 should be minimum objective. Failing that, then new blood at the top required.

Rodgers is safe as houses short of a bid for relegation. So anyone looking to wish him away better save their energy.

• Advertisement

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Why only 15 years?

Why not. Could have said 5/7 whatever. If I was a Liverpool fan I wouldn't be so angry about finishing 5 or 6 like usual.

We have been talking about next year for 15 years. Last year finally was the closest to it. I don't believe in freak years.

We played well last year and deserved to be in the top 2. We should have capitalised on that and moved to be a genuinely competitive team for this year.

We are playing like a mid table team, destined to remain just that. We invested a fortune and although we lost our talisman, we should be stronger. Top 4 should be minimum objective. Failing that, then new blood at the top required.
    I think you have a very optimistic view of Liverpool.
    Why is top 4 a minimum? Because of one year?

If Sturridge can plan like last year then sure.

It's clear that we can't win the league this year due to having CL games, the plan is 7th this year, no Europe next year then win the title.

I think you have a very optimistic view of Liverpool.
    Why is top 4 a minimum? Because of one year?

If Sturridge can plan like last year then sure.

Very much depends how you view your club. Big club with relatively big finances fighting for CL is how I see them. History, although getting distant and pride in my club.

And it wreaks my weekend and my head when they play crap.

It's clear that we can't win the league this year due to having CL games, the plan is 7th this year, no Europe next year then win the title.

If we wish to attract talent and break the cycle of loosing prospective talent to CL clubs, then staying in the competition should be priority. If we can stay there then the title will follow but only if we attract and sign real talent.

So David moyes is a football genius?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

BR: “A combination up top, of an outstanding player like Steven feeding Mario, who needs certain
    types of passes, which he can
    provide.”

Spotted on twitter...gonna try and find the full interview but it could imply that he's gonna start moving Gerrard forward.

Yes and Van Gaal is ballsing up his master plan.

Utd found themselves at an edge of a cliff and made a decision this year with a big name manager to try address it. Time will tell if it works. Moyes inherited a poisoned chalice and was doomed to fail. A couple of years without CL for utd would make life difficult. Money does not always bring real talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

If we finished 6 or 7th i certaintly wouldn't get rid of Rodgers. But I would have a look at our recruitment as we haven't bought very well in the last 2-3 years & its reported Rodgers had full control over signings this summer.

Utd found themselves at an edge of a cliff and made a decision this year with a big name manager to try address it. Time will tell if it works. Moyes inherited a poisoned chalice and was doomed to fail. A couple of years without CL for utd would make life difficult. Money does not always bring real talent.

So what brings in talent? You just said for Liverpool to win the leauge they need to stay in the cl and bring in top players.

Whuch is complete bollox

So what brings in talent? You just said for Liverpool to win the leauge they need to stay in the cl and bring in top players.

Whuch is complete bollox

You are going in circles and I am bored of it. Goodbye

Because your wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

One point off fourth. Three points off third. Still plenty of room for improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Has he gone the full 360?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/sadlier-blaming-the-players-a-very-dangerous-game-for-rodgers-30638595.html

Very good article on some of Rodgers comments this season. He is still an excellent manager but alot of his comments lately have been poor & trying to take pressure of himself rather than the players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

MD1990 wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/sadlier-blaming-the-players-a-very-dangerous-game-for-rodgers-30638595.html

Very good article on some of Rodgers comments this season. He is still an excellent manager but alot of his comments lately have been poor & trying to take pressure of himself rather than the players

Sadlier, no thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Aye. Poster with 360 in his name accuses other poster of going in circles. I love Sunday nights here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

T-K-O wrote: »
    Sadlier, no thanks.

A pure aul one, i'd rather listen to my bird during a row than him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

djPSB wrote: »
    Has he gone the full 360?

Nah, just 180

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement