Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

5live wrote: »
    Nah, just 180

I need about 350.....

(tree fitty!)

Morning all - a win is a win, back on track, Danny back for the next games, Lallana getting better and better, and squad players returning (GlenJo, Enrique, Allen & Can soon).

It's all good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Dickerty wrote: »
    I need about 350.....

(tree fitty!)

Morning all - a win is a win, back on track, Danny back for the next games, Lallana getting better and better, and squad players returning (GlenJo, Enrique, Allen & Can soon).

It's all good.

Rodgers also playing 'he's still injured' card. Smart move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I need about 350.....

(tree fitty!)

It's all good.

Enrique is already back, played the 90 against Basel and was muck (but then who wasn't!)

ITS FVCKING LOAN WATCH!

Texieria - Full game in 1-1 away draw between Watford and Brighton & HA
    Wisdom - loan tied for WBA
    Alberto - Unused sub for Malaga in 2-1 home win
    Ibe - played 65 mins in 0-0 game for Derby - carded for a dive!
    Origi - Played full game scoring goal in 1-1 away draw to Wolfsburg midweek plays tomorrow in league
    Smith - Unused sub for Swindon Town (just back from injury)
    Ilori - Injured after 27 mins of Bordeaux game - hamstring :(
    Ossiadi - Came on at 18 mins as sub in 1-3 defeat to Sunderland
    Coates - no game for Sunderland

Cheers! Any sign of Aspas, or do we ever care?

No surprise that Alberto isn't getting many starts, unfortunately.
    Tex is still getting plenty of minutes though, but I think Origi and Ilori are the only 2 who will come back to a place in the 18. Ibe still needs another season.

8-10 wrote: »
    Enrique is already back, played the 90 against Basel and was muck (but then who wasn't!)

I actually thought he was one of our better players on the night.
    So yeh, I know he was back, but just talking recent positives...

I actually thought he was one of our better players on the night.
    So yeh, I know he was back, but just talking recent positives...

Sorry yeah re-read and know what you meant now. His first half was a disaster, really opened us up to attacks down that side, I was watching him closely the first half and defensively he was poor, which is uncharacteristic for him but again he's coming back from injury

8-10 wrote: »
    Sorry yeah re-read and know what you meant now. His first half was a disaster, really opened us up to attacks down that side, I was watching him closely the first half and defensively he was poor, which is uncharacteristic for him but again he's coming back from injury

I posted last week, I think we might see him as a LW occasionaly, to lock up that side more against attacks, particularly for the Real games. He does link well in attack, and gives us a lot of energy up and down the wing. And Moreno had been caught upfield on a few occasions recently, where we have conceded...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Also.. on the loan watch. Isn't Coates injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

tok9 wrote: »

Thought he was an unused sub?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

tok9 wrote: »
    dogbert27 wrote: »
    Thought he was an unused sub?

I'm not aware he is injured, I'll have a look.

No prem football for two weeks - thank god! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

For some reason I thought he was meant to be out for a few weeks.

Yep you are right, thigh strain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

I see Rodgers is waxing lyrical about Gerrard's cameo as a number 10 on Saturday.

Hopefully he plays there from now on as opposed to playing as the deep lying midfielder. Could be a very clever move.

Cheers! Any sign of Aspas, or do we ever care?

No surprise that Alberto isn't getting many starts, unfortunately.
    Tex is still getting plenty of minutes though, but I think Origi and Ilori are the only 2 who will come back to a place in the 18. Ibe still needs another season.

Aspas? he definitely isn't coming back so who cares?! Alberto is getting some reasonable game time. Six matches and 366 minutes in the league.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Happy 57th Birthday Bruce Grobbelaar :) Thank you for your influence on Carragher who influenced Dudek before the shoot out it the 2005 CL final x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭benny79

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Happy 57th Birthday Bruce Grobbelaar :) Thank you for your influence on Carragher who influenced Dudek before the shoot out it the 2005 CL final x

Yea and for all the match fixing :) the most memorable being Liverpool vs united when it ended in a 3 all draw and he pulled off a spectacular save trying to jump the opposite way and the ball hit his foot supposedly :)

benny79 wrote: »
    Yea and for all the match fixing :) the most memorable being Liverpool vs united when it ended in a 3 all draw and he pulled off a spectacular save trying to jump the opposite way and the ball hit his foot supposedly :)

He was never convicted of those allegations made by the S*N due to lack of evidence iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭benny79

I always taught he was! you sure? you never hear or see him around the club or at matches. I Didn't think it was the sun that broke the story either sure was he not caught on tape admitting it! such a long time ago I cant remember.

Wiki -

On 10 November 1994, Grobbelaar was accused by the British tabloid newspaper The S*n of match fixing during his time at Liverpool to benefit a betting syndicate, after being caught on videotape discussing match-fixing. He was charged with conspiracy to corrupt.

Grobbelaar pleaded not guilty, claiming he was only gathering evidence with the intent of taking it to the police. After two successive trials, in both of which the jury could not agree on a verdict, he and his co-defendants were cleared in November 1997. Grobbelaar later sued The Sun for libel and was awarded £85,000. The Sun appealed, and the case was eventually taken to the House of Lords where it was found that, though the specific allegations had not been proved, there was adequate evidence of dishonesty. The Lords slashed his award to £1, the lowest libel damages possible under English law, and ordered him to pay The Sun's legal costs, estimated at £500,000. Grobbelaar was unable to pay the costs and was declared bankrupt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Grobbelaar#Match-fixing_allegations

I wonder how we was unable to pay 500K after his career? All his money conveniently held elsewhere I hope?

• Advertisement

I just noticed how badly Dortmund are doing - I am sure Hummels and Bender are unhappy with it.....

(Reus being injured, I can't say much...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Fescue wrote: »
    I see Rodgers is waxing lyrical about Gerrard's cameo as a number 10 on Saturday.

Hopefully he plays there from now on as opposed to playing as the deep lying midfielder. Could be a very clever move.

Like you say it was nothing more then a cameo but I wouldn't be against him playing more forward in the future especially when can and Allen return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Hopefully everyone will be back for the Madrid game anyways. With the form Ronaldo is on, we're going to need everyone back and fully fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

brevity wrote: »
    Hopefully everyone will be back for the Madrid game anyways. With the form Ronaldo is on, we're going to need everyone back and fully fit.

Is there somewhere where you can see a list of Liverpool players called up for international duty this time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I wonder how we was unable to pay 500K after his career? All his money conveniently held elsewhere I hope?

Sure Craig Johnston invented the Adidas Predator plus the software for the minibar fridge in hotels and he ended up bankrupt.

Players from the 80's and early 90's while making decent money compared to the average joe weren't making money to set themselves up for life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Be surprised how relatively little players earned.
    Weekly wages of £800-£1500 before tax would have been the norm among even among top division players in the 80s/early 90s, and goalkeepers were never on top dollar anyway.

A £500K court award would be impossible to pay under such a salary.

• Advertisement

But when asked if he got the impression Sterling wanted to stay at Anfield, the manager told the Daily Mirror: "Yes. Absolutely adamant. I don’t think there is anything other than that.

"His agent is a good agent and he understands this is the perfect place for him."

Rodgers is confident a deal will be agreed eventually and added: "It's not a big issue for us. Ian Ayre has spoken with his representatives and he is quite relaxed. The club is dealing with the agent so everything is calm."

"The boy is remarkably happy here and there are no secondary thoughts about anything else other than continuing to play for Liverpool.

"Also, to continue with his development because he still has a lot of growth and for that the best place for him to be is here. His representatives respect that and the club respects that. So that will get sorted out in time."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/9506242/premier-league-brendan-rodgers-insists-raheem-sterling-will-sign-new-liverpool-deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

After seeing Roma lot this season. I wish we went for Manolas as our CB. Been superb this season & is very strong & quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Damien360 wrote: »
    Failing to get CL for next year would be unforgiveable. Brendan would have to get the boot. Failing to win league is not possible at the moment as we are ****e and I would just accept that as a lesson learned and wait another year.

We spent a fortune in the summer and not on potential but some proven players and things are not right. At some point we have to attribute blame.

agreed, we needed some proven quality up front and in midfield...with a sprinkling of youth potential

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,933 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

MD1990 wrote: »
    After seeing Roma lot this season. I wish we went for Manolas as our CB. Been superb this season & is very strong & quick.

To be honest I don't think Lawrenson and Hansen in there prime would do well in this team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

To be honest I don't think Lawrenson and Hansen in there prime would do well in this team.
    Maybe BR is seeing that too.

If he plays Allen/Can in the holding role and Gerrard further forward after the break or even later in matches, it might solve some of the defensive frailties seen so far. Saying that, though, the return of Sturridge could also sort out some of the defensive problems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

klose wrote: »
    Like you say it was nothing more then a cameo but I wouldn't be against him playing more forward in the future especially when can and Allen return.

In a more advanced role, if he has a poor game, the impact is less severe than a poor performance in his current role.

He seemed to have an almost immediate chemistry with Balotelli.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

benny79 wrote: »
    I always taught he was! you sure? you never hear or see him around the club or at matches. I Didn't think it was the sun that broke the story either sure was he not caught on tape admitting it! such a long time ago I cant remember.

I can definitely remember being at a game a few years ago and seeing him go through the crowd in the main stand car park to go in the exec box entrance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Fescue wrote: »
    In a more advanced role, if he has a poor game, the impact is less severe than a poor performance in his current role.

He seemed to have an almost immediate chemistry with Balotelli.

Well considering Gerrard is now Liverpool only focused. I would suggest maybe moving him back up forward as his pace going back is gonna cause issues.

gafferino wrote: »
    But when asked if he got the impression Sterling wanted to stay at Anfield, the manager told the Daily Mirror: "Yes. Absolutely adamant. I don’t think there is anything other than that.

"His agent is a good agent and he understands this is the perfect place for him."

Rodgers is confident a deal will be agreed eventually and added: "It's not a big issue for us. Ian Ayre has spoken with his representatives and he is quite relaxed. The club is dealing with the agent so everything is calm."

"The boy is remarkably happy here and there are no secondary thoughts about anything else other than continuing to play for Liverpool.

"Also, to continue with his development because he still has a lot of growth and for that the best place for him to be is here. His representatives respect that and the club respects that. So that will get sorted out in time."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/9506242/premier-league-brendan-rodgers-insists-raheem-sterling-will-sign-new-liverpool-deal

Even if he was going to be leaving for Real in a season or two the smart thing for both parties would be to sign a new contract - it'll happen not that Sturridge is signed up.

Moreno and Manquillo both in the U-21 squad for Spain.

convocatoria_sub21_653x390.jpg?itok=YDJv-UzM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

That u21 squad is ridiculous

So that's where Pacheco went!

brevity wrote: »
    So that's where Pacheco went!

Ha yeah.... i had to take a second look!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Oliver Torres will be an absolute star, amazing talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Do not think I have ever heard of a Spainish Oliver before ,Always thought it was a Germanic or French name.

sign him up ,I already have a Torres shirt !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Gawn on Johnny

Liverpool have made contact with ex-Barcelona star Victor Valdes ahead of a trial period with a view to a permanent deal.
    It is now understood that Liverpool have held talks with Valdes' representatives, and the 31-year-old is set to arrive at the club for a trial where he will look to earn himself a full-time contract.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/518569/Liverpool-Barcelona-Valdes-Deal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Fcking A.

Nice one. Be nice to have some competition for GK spot. No reason why he can't take the number 1 spot tbf

For anyone who is travelling to games in December the United, arsenal and Swansea games have been moved for tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,392 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Has Valdes not done enough to warrant an outright signing? A trial period for someone of his calibre seems strange.

Liam O wrote: »
    Has Valdes not done enough to warrant an outright signing? A trial period for someone of his calibre seems strange.

His injury and or wages are probably the sticking point.

I would Imagine it to test his injury out.

Much like Utd didn't buy Falcao straight out but took him on loan first. A player of his calibre on loan seems strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,392 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I would Imagine it to test his injury out.

Much like Utd didn't buy Falcao straight out but took him on loan first. A player of his calibre on loan seems strange.

United bought Falcao, Monaco just want the money in next Summer's accounts.

• Advertisement

United bought Falcao, Monaco just want the money in next Summer's accounts.

So then he is on loan then till next summer. When Utd will buy him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement