Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Dickerty wrote: »
    Assuming neither Sakho or Lovren are back fit in time, it's Skrtel and Touré with Lloyd Jones on the bench. Which should be fine, two very experienced players...

Why did this...

...start playing in my head at the thought of the two of them in defense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Looks like it could be Skrtel and Kolo against Real Madrid.

Against QPR too but we might get away with it in that game.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If Sakho was still injured who would be our next option now? Gerrard? Lloyd Jones?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

5starpool wrote: »
    If Sakho was still injured who would be our next option now? Gerrard? Lloyd Jones?

He is still injured??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

5starpool wrote: »

If he is back Emre Can - plays for the German U21s at centre back a few times. But I think Kolo will get the gig regardless - QPR are shi'te and Real will win anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

If he is back Emre Can - plays for the German U21s at centre back a few times. But I think Kolo will get the gig regardless - QPR are shi'te and Real will win anyway.

At least if we play with those two, we wil play backs-to-the-wall stuff, which may suit us against such a pacy attack...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

All four of our centre backs are shíte in a Liverpool shirt, it doesn't matter which combination play, it'll still be Keystone Cops-esque!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,932 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

From a few days ago Sakho's injury is real :P

https://twitter.com/mamadousakho3/status/519515320432992256

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

"back on the fields"?
    Jaysus, we've lost another one to the farmers! :(

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

gafferino wrote: »
    He is still injured??

He is now, but I thought it was only a 2-3 week thing and he might be fit for Real?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

martyos121 wrote: »
    "back on the fields"?
    Jaysus, we've lost another one to the farmers! :(
    They'll have him in full forward for the GAA :(

MD1990 wrote: »
    They'll have him in full forward for the GAA :(

"And lining up between the corner forwards, Mámadú Ó'Sacó..."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

gafferino wrote: »

I see they even have the players practicing there leaning, without any prop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

kfallon wrote: »
    All four of our centre backs are shíte in a Liverpool shirt, it doesn't matter which combination play, it'll still be Keystone Cops-esque!

That's what happens when you play Gerard as a dm and allow both your full backs to get forward, any long ball country attack is basically a fifty fifty and when the defender eventually gets caught out he looks like the bad guy. Also none of of the pool defenders specialize in one V one situations besides the guy out on loan.

Personally I think the defense is getting a very raw deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Oranage2 wrote: »
    That's what happens when you play Gerard as a dm and allow both your full backs to get forward, any long ball country attack is basically a fifty fifty and when the defender eventually gets caught out he looks like the bad guy. Also none of of the pool defenders specialize in one V one situations besides the guy out on loan.

Personally I think the defense is getting a very raw deal.

Well then the buck stops with the manager for burying his head in the sand, we were shít defensively last season with Suarez and Sturridge getting us out of a mess on numerous occasions. We needed to be more solid at the back this season but it's the same shít just a different season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Cartman78

So you're saying the Buck stops with Rodgers??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Skrtel and costa handbags in the slovakia spain game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

klose wrote: »
    Skrtel and costa handbags in the slovakia spain game

A whack of the handbag should be enough to crock Costa. Good man Martin.

Sterling and Henderson off at HT for England.
    Thats a good Roy....just do as Brendan says.

• Advertisement

Taking 2 Liverpool players off at half time :eek::eek:

Rodgers won this round! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Rodgers setting the rule to Hodgson :)

Lallana has done very well since he came on at HT.
    Then again, they're only playing San Marino, it's like playing tennis with the net down.

Lallana did very well given the ridiculous lack of space in the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Lallana has done very well since he came on at HT.
    Then again, they're only playing San Marino, it's like playing tennis with the net down.

Or like playing chess with one using draughts rules, 'king me!'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Lallana did very well given the ridiculous lack of space in the area.

Can't really count this in, that game was shocking, real lack of effort and creativity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

what channel is the england game on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Some win for skrtel captaining slovakia, spains first defeat in a qualifier in 8 years

guardian MbM
    74 min: Spain are resorting to hoping for a mistake, but Slovakia’s defence, marshalled by Skrtel and Hubocan has been faultless, exactly the right level of aggression and tactical nous. Kozacik has also been excellent, coming now to claim a high cross from Jordi Alba.

Our Skrtel? ;)

Spain are now officially crap. Del Bosque should have quit when the old guard starting moving on. Leave the rebuild to a fresh set of eyes.

• Advertisement

Skrtel bosses Costa as he captains his side to a historic 1-0 victory over Spain.

The Slovakian Skrtel
    The French Sakho
    The Southampton Lovren

It's beyond me how we haven't tried to sign any of these players given out problems at CB.

I'm tempted to say they'd never play as well, so best get a couple of guys from the Championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Skrtel bosses Costa as he captains his side to a historic 1-0 victory over Spain.

2-1

8-10 wrote: »
    2-1

My bad :)

The likes of Skrtel, Lovren and Sakho wouldn't be caught out nearly as much if our full backs did a bit more work defensively. If we play the wide diamond with two wingers, two strikers, a creative midfielder and a holding midfielder, they wouldn't have to bomb on every time to create width, and we'd be better equipped to deal with counter-attacks.
    The class is definitely there in our defenders, but they need protection.

The likes of Skrtel, Lovren and Sakho wouldn't be caught out nearly as much if our full backs did a bit more work defensively. If we play the wide diamond with two wingers, two strikers, a creative midfielder and a holding midfielder, they wouldn't have to bomb on every time to create width, and we'd be better equipped to deal with counter-attacks.
    The class is definitely there in our defenders, but they need protection.

Exactly what I'm getting at :) which is why I feel a lot of the individual criticism is unfair. It's generally the system that's wrong, not the players.

• Advertisement

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Exactly what I'm getting at :) which is why I feel a lot of the individual criticism is unfair. It's generally the system that's wrong, not the players.

The defensive system is a mess. Unfortunately I can't see it improving much soon. We need to resign Suarez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I still dont know why Rodgers didnt rate Agger. Particularly after having made him vice captain - what - 6 months before?

He was a good ball playing centre half. I used to love his starting attacks and breaking forward.

It was all very sudden. Whats the story with the then emotional confession/ outburst in the dressing room on x matchday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

4-4-2?

We were ripping the ****e out of teams playing a 4-4-2 last season. 4-4-2 is so rigid I would hope we never see it in the way described above.

The obvious answer is to have a traditional DM that covers when the one (and only one at a time) full back bombs forward. What should happen is SG/DM drops in deep to cover the attacking FB, but more often than not 2 FB have gone forward, the CBs part, SG drops deep (or should do when he's bothered), The CB's are covering the FB and SG cover's the CB resulting in a kind of 3 at the back which is just begging to be countered. Or something like this, just a sophisticated mess.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I still dont know why Rodgers didnt rate Agger. Particularly after having made him vice captain - what - 6 months before?

He was a good ball playing centre half. I used to love his starting attacks and breaking forward.

It was all very sudden. Whats the story with the then emotional confession/ outburst in the dressing room on x matchday?

We dont play with Ball playing CB's though. They get the ball and give it to SG.

NukaCola wrote: »
    We dont play with Ball playing CB's though. They get the ball and give it to SG.

That makes no sense though. Rodgers wants all his players to be comfortable on the ball, even the keeper. That point illustrates why we have been struggling.

Skrtel and Lovren have not been comfortable on the ball - undermining the system.

• Advertisement

You had to bring him up didn't you?! Miss ya Daniel :(

Lovren and Sakho are two very good ball playing CB's Skrtel is ok with the ball at his feet.

It seems that everything needs to go through Gerrard to give him a reason to be in the team which is wrong.

If Gerrard is moved up to number 10 then a high line can be played and a pressing 3 of Henderson, Allen and Lallana can be played in midfield.

If you then need a DM you can use Lucas or Can.

With Gerrard at 10 or even as the second striker I think that lifts the pressure off the whole back 5.

That makes no sense though. Rodgers wants all his players to be comfortable on the ball, even the keeper. That point illustrates why we have been struggling.

Skrtel and Lovren have not been comfortable on the ball - undermining the system.

I'm not defending his system here but the CB's either pass it back to the keeper, pass it between themselves or pass it to SG with the odd long ball up forward. We do not play with a ball playing CB.

I liked Agger but the last season he was bullied by CF's far too often when played. He admitted himself he wasn't up to the physicality of the EPL anymore which is fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

4-4-2?

We were ripping the ****e out of teams playing a 4-4-2 last season. 4-4-2 is so rigid I would hope we never see it in the way described above.

The obvious answer is to have a traditional DM that covers when the one (and only one at a time) full back bombs forward. What should happen is SG/DM drops in deep to cover the attacking FB, but more often than not 2 FB have gone forward, the CBs part, SG drops deep (or should do when he's bothered), The CB's are covering the FB and SG cover's the CB resulting in a kind of 3 at the back which is just begging to be countered. Or something like this, just a sophisticated mess.

The 'beauty' of Rodgers system is the ability to overload our opponents out wide when attacking combined with 2CBs and 1DM who are mobile and able to both control attacks and slow play down to allow our defense to get organised.

What we have is a DM who isn't mobile or diciplined enough and 2CBs who aren't comfortable pressing out wide and who seem programmed to try to intercept the ball every time instead of slowing down play.

With Gerrard at 10 or even as the second striker I think that lifts the pressure off the whole back 5.

SG cant play as a second striker or number 10 anymore. Sterling Coutinho and Balotelli are all better options these days.

He admitted himself he wasn't up to the physicality of the EPL anymore which is fair enough.

Have you got a link for this?

Have you got a link for this?

His farewell letter, just give it a google.

SG cant play as a second striker or number 10 anymore. Sterling Coutinho and Balotelli are all better options these days.

He can't paly DM either and that is where we a screwed because he won't be dropped.

I would rather see him play 70 minutes at 10 or second striker than as the DM to be honest or as I said before bring him on for the last 20/30 minutes when we have pressed hard on the other team and their legs are starting to go.

That won't happen either though.

Until Gerrard retires we're fecked basically.

Until Gerrard retires we're fecked basically.

Untill both Rodgers and Gerrard are prepared to accept that Gerrard needs to be used more sparingly then we are fecked :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement