Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Hodgson is a bit of a dick. I thought Keane's comments on him in his autobiography were revealing.

"As a manager I was enjoying the chats with other managers after the games. Not so much enjoying what was being said, but picking up on their vibes and listening out for a little snippet of wisdom. I’d be thinking, ‘What makes this club work?’, or ‘What are the staff like?’ So I went up to see Roy Hodgson, the Fulham manager, and his assistant, Ray Lewington. It was like the scene in Steve Cotterill’s office at Burnley the year before, but without the humour. Steve had turned his disappointment into a joke, but this was different. They were all going, ‘We’re ****ed, we’re ****ed.’

It was embarrassing. I had my Diet Coke and one of those little sausages, and we left. I remember thinking, ‘My goodness, they are ****ed.’
    But they stayed up. Roy got the Liverpool job, and now he’s managing England"

I do think that Rodgers has over played Sterling though, and that was far from clever. He was always going to suffer burn out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I do think that Rodgers has over played Sterling though, and that was far from clever. He was always going to suffer burn out.

He rested him against Villa and people went mental. Unfortunately we played crap and he had to be brought on to try and rescue the game.

The one game he should have sat out was the Middlesboro game and of course it ended up going 120 minutes.

I think had Sturridge not got injured he may have rested Sterling a bit more but without Sturridge I imagine Rodgers was reluctant to do without Sterling as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

From the Indian Super League
    6VwIkK0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Kompany said of Origi: “He is very gifted and talented. Technically, he’s a monster.

“More importantly, he is an outstanding worker in training. I see him working like crazy.

“If he continues in this way, in a few years he will be among the five or ten best strikers in the world.”

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/10/13/ad-vincent-kompany-liverpool-striker-could-become-one-of-worlds/?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

England have got a new U16s head coach - Liverpools ex U16s and U18s coach Steve Cooper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Hodgson is a bit of a dick. I thought Keane's comments on him in his autobiography were revealing.

"As a manager I was enjoying the chats with other managers after the games. Not so much enjoying what was being said, but picking up on their vibes and listening out for a little snippet of wisdom. I’d be thinking, ‘What makes this club work?’, or ‘What are the staff like?’ So I went up to see Roy Hodgson, the Fulham manager, and his assistant, Ray Lewington. It was like the scene in Steve Cotterill’s office at Burnley the year before, but without the humour. Steve had turned his disappointment into a joke, but this was different. They were all going, ‘We’re ****ed, we’re ****ed.’

It was embarrassing. I had my Diet Coke and one of those little sausages, and we left. I remember thinking, ‘My goodness, they are ****ed.’
    But they stayed up. Roy got the Liverpool job, and now he’s managing England"

Yeah because Roy Keane knows the makings of a good manager?

Hodgson proved his worth in some of the biggest clubs around Europe, he also given no money to spend at pool and had similar if not better points to game ratio than both Kenny and Rodgers in their first seasons, and both those managers spent well in excess of 100 million!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Sterling got burn out before iirc 2 odd years ago and came back better than ever. Who says it's even that and not just being out of form? I'm sure a lot of pros have played as much if not more than him at that age, taken more punishment and come out the other end.

If Liverpool and England were playing to their potential nobody would be focusing so much on this. If he's so tired and there's all this concern then send him away for 2 or 3 weeks, don't just use it as an excuse for every bad game.

Oranage2 wrote: »

Hodgson proved his worth in some of the biggest clubs around Europe, he also given no money to spend at pool and had similar if not better points to game ratio than both Kenny and Rodgers in their first seasons, and both those managers spent well in excess of 100 million!

HODGSON
    Games 20
    Won___7
    Draw___4
    Lost)___9
    GD____-3
    Points_25
    PPG__1.25

DALGLISH
    Games_____18
    Won_______10
    Draw_______3
    Lost________5
    GD_______+18
    Points______33
    PPG_______1.83

Dalglish would go on to disappoint in the league but my god in January 2011 he was the second coming!

As for Hodgson proven at some of Europes biggest clubs? Which ones? Blackburn? Inter Milan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Except that is just not true neither similar and certainly not better.

Roy
    League
    Played 20 W7 D4 L9
    Points 25

Kenny
    Played 20 W11 D4 L5
    Points 37

Rodgers
    Played 20 W8 D7 L5
    Points 31

• Advertisement

HODGSON
    Games 20
    Won___7
    Draw___4
    Lost)___9
    GD____-3
    Points_25
    PPG__1.25

DALGLISH
    Games_____18
    Won_______10
    Draw_______3
    Lost________5
    GD_______+18
    Points______33
    PPG_______1.83

Dalglish would go on to disappoint in the league but my god in January 2011 he was the second coming!

As for Hodgson proven at some of Europes biggest clubs? Which ones? Blackburn? Inter Milan?

I'd like to look at those statistics some time when I have time.

Can We at least agree hodge wasn't backed financially and the other two were heavily backed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I'd like to look at those statistics some time when I have time.

Can We at least agree hodge wasn't backed financially and the other two were heavily backed?

Comparing Dalglish and Rodgers to Hodgson is like comparing apples and oranages, tbf...

Again, this is showing little knowledge of the subject in hand. Wrong on many fronts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Hodgson proved his worth in some of the biggest clubs around Europe

You sound like Roy Hodgson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

greendom wrote: »
    tonne of abuse from twitter and the press ? He's a professional footballer, not to mention an England international, that's par for the course. All players playing at the top level of football can expect to receive such abuse and need to develop a tough skin to cope.

Dunno, this bit makes me uncomfortable. The way abuse has become normalised, how Twitter is seem as a legitimate forum for it and how vindictive and, sometimes, damaging it is. Giving a lad pelters from the stands on a Saturday afternoon I'm fine with but keyboard warriors with limited intelligence and unlimited broadband abusing a player and that player's family is not something that should ever be considered acceptable.
    /rant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

picard-double-facepalm_original.gif?1370026411

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Hodgson was like a giant bestriding the peak of European leagues like Sweden and Finland.

mosstin wrote: »
    Dunno, this bit makes me uncomfortable. The way abuse has become normalised, how Twitter is seem as a legitimate forum for it and how vindictive and, sometimes, damaging it is. Giving a lad pelters from the stands on a Saturday afternoon I'm fine with but keyboard warriors with limited intelligence and unlimited broadband abusing a player and that player's family is not something that should ever be considered acceptable.
    /rant

I'm not comfortable with it, and the same for some of the stuff that comes from the stands. Just because they make a lot of money and are public figures doesn't mean this is acceptable behaviour from one person to another IMO.

But it is part of it now and will remain so. Players now have to learn to deal with this nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

I think it was Abraham Lincoln who said "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Hodgson fed Sterling to the press because it deflected attention from the England performance, that's the only reason anybody is talking about him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Ah lads, you're better than this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

RoyHodgson-banging-head-wall-WestBrom-1325527686t.gif?id=186

Sound.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Suarez scored twice for Uruguay tonight in an international friendly against Oman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Suarez scored twice for Uruguay tonight in an international friendly against Oman.

Shouldn't that be in the Barcelona Superthread :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Shouldn't that be in the Barcelona Superthread :pac:

Sorry. I reminisce some time, the night they took my friend, try to black it out, but it plays again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Apparently Enrique tweeted pictures of the view out his hotel window and you can see himself and his missus reflected in the glass in the nip.

He's dead daft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Yeah, he proved he wasn't up to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Knex. wrote: »
    Yeah, he proved he wasn't up to it.

Who? Enrique?

The 5%%8272@:mad: Owl is now calling into question Liverpools fitness regime

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/13/raheem-sterling-roy-hodgson-questions-liverpool-training

All these historic wins lately are going to his head.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

his boys certainly put the mighty estonia to thesword in fine style.

aul roy, been a while since I have seen anyone defending him. I suppose we should be glad of the laugh.

alternatively oranage2 is actually paul konch konchesky, or christian poulsen.

It's almost as if there's some sort of ulterior motive for defending Hodgson on the Liverpool board.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Tbh I thought the Hodge was alright.

Hodge still incredibly bitter I see.

The only good thing about his time as manager was the incredibly easy access to match tickets! Says it all really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Hodge still incredibly bitter I see.

The only good thing about his time as manager was the incredibly easy access to match tickets! Says it all really

Was that a good thing though? The football we played was some of the worst I've ever seen from a LFC team, being given easy access to view it was a kind of torture.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

That one comment from Roy was like one of them smoke grenades in warzones that blocks everyones view of what happened on the pitch.

As far as Sterling and tiredness go......have you not seen how much running the kid does. I break a sweat looking at him. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Really am just sick of internationals week at this stage.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    That one comment from Roy was like one of them smoke grenades in warzones that blocks everyones view of what happened on the pitch.

As far as Sterling and tiredness go......have you not seen how much running the kid does. I break a sweat looking at him. :)

His running style though....

runs_by_scruffbot-d6u9654.gif

Lovely cushioned header for Gerraaaaarrrrrd... Aaaaawwwwwhhhhh ya beautaaayyy!!!!! What a hit son! What a hit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Looking forward to Rodgers' presser this week. They'll have had a full week to carefully plan it and word any response to the Sterling situation

Rodge won't stoop as low as Hodge, but I expect a stern response in defense of 'young Raheem'

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

A few bits of transfer gossip -> http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-transfer-gossip-reds-7930339

I dont think we would need Alves. But a big fat yes to the other 2.

Cabaye & Shaqiri yes indeed!

Isn't it just a pity the sources are the least reliable known!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Dani Alves has been on the downward spiral for a few years now, I don't see what we would achieve by bringing him in on big money when we already have Johnson. As for Cabaye, it really has gone all wrong for him at PSG. While I think he's a good player, I don't think he's what we need. For a start, he's going on 29. Secondly, he is a very similar player to what we have now, not really the box to box central midfielder that everyone is asking for right now.

Dani Alves has been on the downward spiral for a few years now, I don't see what we would achieve by bringing him in on big money when we already have Johnson. As for Cabaye, it really has gone all wrong for him at PSG. While I think he's a good player, I don't think he's what we need. For a start, he's going on 29. Secondly, he is a very similar player to what we have now, not really the box to box central midfielder that everyone is asking for right now.

I'd say there are a few EPL teams with similar gossip in repsect of Cabaye today. Yesterday or the day before he made murmurings of being unhappy being a bench player at PSG and longs to be back in England.

Grayditch wrote: »
    It's almost as if there's some sort of ulterior motive for defending Hodgson on the Liverpool board.

Have no idea What you're getting at to be honest.

I've defended Hodge in a lot of threads, I don't think he's world class but I believe he's a very competent coach. I also think it's pathetic how people make fun of his speech impediment by calling him woy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Have no idea What you're getting at to be honest.

I've defended Hodge in a lot of threads, I don't think he's world class but I believe he's a very competent coach. I also think it's pathetic how people make fun of his speech impediment by calling him woy.

Gone very quiet!

It'd be terrible if Sterling wasn't picked to play for England again. I'd be devastated

• Advertisement

Ah no

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement