Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

DVDM93 wrote: »
    We still have Sturridge to come back and besides, we're in a bit of a mess at the moment to be honest. Bringing Origi in to that couldn't do him any good.

It absolutely could. He's starting Lique 1 and International games, he's at a similar level to Sterling in terms of development. If he was with us now, he'd be competing for starts with Balotelli, no question.
    It would give us a boost in terms of goal threat as the second half of the season takes it's toll.

Plus, it gives him 6 months to settle in before next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Not saying I disagree with the sentiment but Verheijen is a bit of a sensationalist media whore.
    Roy Hodgson's incompetence must be frustrating for educated managers like Brendan Rodgers who travelled the world

Is Rodgers some sort of Phileas Fogg or something? It's not like Hodgson spent his life in England, strange comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Big problem for us is that we just aren't being ambitious enough in the transfer market. If our ambition is top 4, then we need to be showing it in the transfer market by bring in a marquee signing. Look at United, they were in trouble, and they responded by dropping a load of cash on bringing in proven talent (Mata, Falcao, Di Maria). To a lesser extent, Arsenal did the same (Ozil and Sanchez). Liverpool on the other hand responded to losing Suarez by bringing in Lallana, Balotelli and Markovic. None of these will be bad players, but have they the quality to be top 4? Are they the type of player who you would put money on scoring 20 goals a season or racking up masses of assists? These links to Yarmo/Kono/Shaquiri are equality disappointing. Seems like we are just trying to make do, or we are taking a gamble. Sometimes this strategy can work (Sturridge) but more often than not you're left disappointed.

I think people get way too obsessed with this notion of squad depth. So instead of forking out the money for a really good player, you end up getting two average players and you end up with a team that under-performs most of the time rather than one that plays really well a good deal of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Is Rodgers some sort of Phileas Fogg or something? It's not like Hodgson spent his life in England, strange comment.

The difference is Rodgers spent his time at Ajax and Barcelona learning the art of top level football, Hogdson went to teach Sweden, Switzerland and Finland how to play a prosaic meat and potato game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Big problem for us is that we just aren't being ambitious enough in the transfer market. If our ambition is top 4, then we need to be showing it in the transfer market by bring in a marquee signing. Look at United, they were in trouble, and they responded by dropping a load of cash on bringing in proven talent (Mata, Falcao, Di Maria). To a lesser extent, Arsenal did the same (Ozil and Sanchez). Liverpool on the other hand responded to losing Suarez by bringing in Lallana, Balotelli and Markovic. None of these will be bad players, but have they the quality to be top 4? Are they the type of player who you would put money on scoring 20 goals a season or racking up masses of assists? These links to Yarmo/Kono/Shaquiri are equality disappointing. Seems like we are just trying to make do, or we are taking a gamble. Sometimes this strategy can work (Sturridge) but more often than not you're left disappointed.

I think people get way too obsessed with this notion of squad depth. So instead of forking out the money for a really good player, you end up getting two average players and you end up with a team that under-performs most of the time rather than one that plays really well a good deal of the time.

So far I am thanking my lucky stars we didn't sink a load of money into a player like Ozil, not worth the money or the compromises you need to make to get him into the team.

Sanchez? So far I am going to say I'd rather have Sturridge or Sterling. Sterling will be back on form soon enough.

Hopefully the penny has dropped the we are not United and Falcao would not have come to us. Simple really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

The difference is Rodgers spent his time at Ajax and Barcelona learning the art of top level football, Hogdson went to teach Sweden, Switzerland and Finland how to play a prosaic meat and potato game.

I wasn't aware he was at Ajax. I knew he studied in Spain so the "travelled the world" comment seemed a bit odd, still does if it's just Holland and Spain.

Was he even at Ajax? A quick google doesn't bring anything up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

The Verheijen quotes are from his twitter tirades which tend to be abrupt (to put it politely) but I wouldn't be so sure he goes out of the way to court publicity. The majority of the coverage I see him get tends to be other journalists picking up on what he says on his twitter account. He does seem to be a divisive chap though.

As an aside, two things he advocates - Periodisation and an in-depth understanding of soft tissue injuries/recovery - appear to be an after-thought at some football clubs and Hodgson (who I don't dislike, unlike many Liverpool fans on here) has demonstrated that his views are dated in that regard.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

We don't really have access to the same level of money Arsenal, or especially utd do in terms of transfer fees or wages.

I wasn't aware he was at Ajax. I knew he studied in Spain so the "travelled the world" comment seemed a bit odd, still does if it's just Holland and Spain.

Was he even at Ajax? A quick google doesn't bring anything up.

to quote the man himself

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/swansea-city/8541337/Swansea-City-v-Reading-Brendan-Rodgers-Barcelona-model-is-more-than-a-passing-phase.html
    “I wanted to be the best I possibly could,” he said. “I had a great education coming through the English FA, did courses with the Scottish FA but I also went out and travelled.

“I went to Spain, to Barcelona, Sevilla and Valencia. These are the best schools of football in the world, how they develop players. Then I spent time in Holland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Can and Lovren were training today which is good news, no sign of Allen apparently.

Bz_y38vIIAEa9YE.jpg

Bz_y3bqIEAEG3_O.jpg

Sterling is blowing hard already :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

klose wrote: »
    Can and Lovren were training today which is good news, no sign of Allen apparently.

Sturridge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I'm also sceptical that he was at Ajax - I definitely don't remember that, one of the underage teams?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

This man wins at life.

8-10 wrote: »
    I'm also sceptical that he was at Ajax - I definitely don't remember that, one of the underage teams?

I dunno! *shruggs*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

8-10 wrote: »

He might have just been a guest of the coaching team for a few weeks?
    Doesn't mean a long term assignment...

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Brendan Rodgers’ playing career never took off and he retired from professional football at the age of 20. However, he took up coaching at Reading’s youth academy in 1995. He then travelled far and wide to clubs like Barcelona, Sevilla, Valencia, Ajax and Twente to learn the tricks of the trade.

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2012/05/lfc-manager-search-brendan-rodgers-in-profile/

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

Too slow coulson :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

5starpool wrote: »
    We don't really have access to the same level of money Arsenal, or especially utd do in terms of transfer fees or wages.

And we won't have access for another decade until the stadium is paid for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

5live wrote: »

Which is exactly what happened at Arsenal.

For that reason alone if you can get players like Konoplyanka and Yarmolenko experienced international players in their mid 20's on a Bosman or a small fee you get them and take a chance.

Ste- wrote: »
    Which is exactly what happened at Arsenal.
    Look away now, Turty. I would be fairly happy with Arsenals 'failure' for the next 10 years.
    For that reason alone if you can get players like Konoplyanka and Yarmolenko experienced international players in their mid 20's on a Bosman or a small fee you get them and take a chance.
    Absolutely. We are going to have to be a selling club to a fairly large degree until the stadium is paid for so we have no non-oil-sugardaddy other option to pay our way except buy good young, potentially great players with the odd boner-inducing established player.

XMLuUcy.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

me cry, no ... its just a spec of dust

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

XMLuUcy.jpg

So.......it's luis with an S not Louie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

How're the lads?

Grand International break this time around, eh? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Lovren back training? Is that really good news? Hes been worse than useless for us so far. Then again Skrtel hasnt been much better either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Did Liverpool try to get Sanchez? Yes. Did Liverpool try to get Falcao? According to the press speculation we did but he preferred the prospect of Real Madrid. Lallana wasn't signed in response to Suarez leaving.

The club can only sign players it can afford if they are willing to join, it's not Football Manager.

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Lovren back training? Is that really good news? Hes been worse than useless for us so far. Then again Skrtel hasnt been much better either

Im his biggest critic but better to have him back than have skrtel and toure starting against real with some lad from the academy on the bench. Hopefully he kicks on a bit now hes been here a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Any CB defender would struggle in our system. Our CBs are left badly exposed.

Knex. wrote: »
    How're the lads?

Grand International break this time around, eh? :D

You got some gametime this time so?::-D:

Emre Can back in full training, boxing training, and with guess who? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Emre Can back in full training, boxing training, and with guess who? :D

That man has legs like a horse.

Gbear wrote: »
    That man has legs like a horse.

That horse has the upper body of a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

Does anyone think Suarez would ever come back to liverpool if it doesn't work out for him in Spain?

huey1975 wrote: »
    Does anyone think Suarez would ever come back to liverpool if it doesn't work out for him in Spain?

Cant imagine him not suceeding there tbh, will be interesting to see whos goal tally deminishes between him messi and neymar, i assume suarez will play rf for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Cant imagine him not suceeding there tbh, will be interesting to see whos goal tally deminishes between him messi and neymar, i assume suarez will play rf for them?

Messi,Neymar and Suarez. Holy ****!

http://www.givemesport.com/505949-lionel-messi-flourishing-in-new-role-at-barcelona

Messi's role had changed a lot this season too, which will suit Suarez even more.

Can't say anything but Suarez being Suarez. I'm being honest when I say the only way I see it not working out for him over there is if he goes biting or something of a similar nature again. The man is a goal machine and with that team behind him and Messi with that new role, good luck to all the defenders in La Liga :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I'm being honest when I say the only way I see it not working out for him over there is if he goes biting or something of a similar nature again.

He's hardly going to bite somebody again. I think after 3 chomps he's fairly full. :p

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'd say most of that will be paid for by the new 'CocaCola/Nescafe/Google/Apple/Daz' naming deal for the Main stand, and presumably the same for the Anfield Road end. It'd the inclusion or not in the CL reliably over the next few years that will dictate this moreso I reckon, and that is a huge challenge given the teams above us in terms of revenue and quality as well.

We could go on for ages about the merits of each team, but let's not bother at this stage of the season.

I've just spotted that Lille play Everton in the EL - ITV4 at 6 pm Thursday, so hopefully we'll all get the chance to evaluate Origi for 90 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Why are people even debating Origi? There is NO option to recall him.

Money talks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/paul-scholes-column-i-do-not-blame-roy-hodgson-one-bit-he-does-his-best-to-win-qualifiers-for-england--and-look-after-his-players-9794646.html

Scholes being a complete dick here having digs at Rodgers and Liverpool conveniently forgetting everything his former manager did to international managers.

The reaction from the media and some "pundits" over the sterling situation is laughable really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

dogbert27 wrote: »
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/paul-scholes-column-i-do-not-blame-roy-hodgson-one-bit-he-does-his-best-to-win-qualifiers-for-england--and-look-after-his-players-9794646.html

Scholes being a complete dick here having digs at Rodgers and Liverpool conveniently forgetting everything his former manager did to international managers.
    Scholes is some hypocrite. Pulled out of plenty of England squads himself and retired much earlier than he should have.

A very small and bitter little troll. Just like his hero, Fergie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Scholes is some hypocrite. Pulled out of plenty of England squads himself and retired much earlier than he should have.

The Utd crowd outside Francie's house any minute now :P

angry-mob.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I genuinely don't see any digs there. He's highly complimentary of Sterling and is asking a valid question about an unusual situation. Think about it. How many times has a player pulled himself out of a game, not due to injury or feeling a twinge, but due to tiredness? Then add in the fact that the player's club manager has had a very recent spat with the national set-up about how they manage player's fitness. I was wondering whether Rodgers had a word when it was announced and I'm sure everyone here was too.

Scholes is quite an honest pundit and this seems to grate on many United fans as well. The Rooney article a while back got few people's knickers in a twist. I actually don't often agree with his analysis but I don't think he's "a little troll" as you put it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

How can Scholes not blame Hodgson one bit? Hodgson helped get Sturridge injured & then hung Sterling out to dry. Also Scholes says Sterling can't be physically tired because he is only 19. A very naive statement as he is most likely not 100% developed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Just because Scholes might be incorrect doesn't mean he's trolling.

He's also a Utd fan, obviously. He's going to be slightly biased and choose to see things certain ways. Just like Hanson and Thompson are against Utd.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement