Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Its quite easy for an ex Man Utd Englishman to side with the England team when a club versus country debate comes up. Especially if that club is LFC. Hardly shocking. All these ex player pundits have brought their club bias with them by and large.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

To be fair Scholes has a point when he says that Sterling should either pick football or acting. Working as both a professional footballer and an actor are obviously taking their toll. It's a lot to ask of anyone nevermind a 19 year old who's still developing. IMO he should stick to football as his role in Eddie Murphy's 'Coming to America' didn't quite cut it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The proof is in the pudding with the 2 day recovery though for quick players in our case. We have a very low amount of muscles injuries in comparison to say Man United or Arsenal. Sterling never injured, Suarez was never injured and Sturridge seems to get injured on international duty mostly.

England need to look at their fitness regime and not criticise Liverpool's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

He added: “I can see already that the Liverpool fans really like me, although I know that maybe they are a little upset because I don’t score. I see they appreciate that I am working hard, though, which is nice for me.

“I know I have one goal in the Champions League, but in the Premier League I have to start with one. After that, I might set myself a target, but I swear – right now my first league goal is my first and only objective.

“I need to get in the box more. I don’t do it enough, but it is something I am working to try to do more. I have never been a real, out-and-out striker – I have always been someone who goes around the pitch, you know?

“If it was my choice, I would always go with two strikers. It’s the way I like to play, but Brendan asked me to play as the first striker. I understand that when the ball comes from wide on the left or right, I need to be in the box otherwise there might be no-one there at all.”

http://talksport.com/football/exclusive-anfield-shock-liverpool-are-better-i-thought-admits-balotelli-141016119066?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

MD1990 wrote: »
    Hodgson helped get Sturridge injured
    Really? Did Hodgson catch him with a late tackle or something?

AFAIK Sturridge was doing a normal training session along with every other player in the England squad.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Scholes : Let’s be clear about one thing first when it comes to footballers and their post-match routines: if you are 19 years old like Raheem Sterling, or even 25 years old like Daniel Sturridge, you do not need a two-day recovery after playing a game.

Couldn't agree more ... Sterling is 19 years old and its not even 10 matches into the premier league so saying he is tired is a little thin and he is now caught up in the rubbish between Rodgers and Hodgson ... fair enough we were all pissed when Sturridge got an injury and it is frustrating to see our form dip as a result but its not the fault of the international setup its just football. Sturridge will always be injury prone and thats just the case here unfortunately.

Time to focus on football for BR and stop getting involved in petty squabbles ... big game this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

BenEadir wrote: »

AFAIK Sturridge was doing a normal training session along with every other player in the England squad.

Surely you know the story at this stage? Liverpool have Sturridge on set regime, sturridge requested the same from England and they denied him.

Made him train and he got injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Couldn't agree more ... Sterling is 19 years old and its not even 10 matches into the premier league so saying he is tired is a little thin and he is now caught up in the rubbish between Rodgers and Hodgson ... fair enough we were all pissed when Sturridge got an injury and it is frustrating to see our form dip as a result but its not the fault of the international setup its just football. Sturridge will always be injury prone and thats just the case here unfortunately.

That's all well and good but what happens when his form deteriorates & people get on his back. Relying on a 19 year old as much as we have been is a little unfair imo.

When a player has a history of injuries, a simple request to help manage the player by the people who employ that player should be granted.

You can make little quips all you want but if he was rested he may not be injured now. Hodgson has a history of playing players when they are not 100% fit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Messi,Neymar and Suarez. Holy ****!

With Rakitic and Iniesta behind them. It's great :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

The idea that all young players do not need extended recovery just because they're young is ****ing laughable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Rodgers told England & Hodgson that Sturridge needed a 2nd day recovery session. Hodgson didn't listen & had him training normally which resulted in an injury for Sturridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

Scholes : Let’s be clear about one thing first when it comes to footballers and their post-match routines: if you are 19 years old like Raheem Sterling, or even 25 years old like Daniel Sturridge, you do not need a two-day recovery after playing a game.

Time to focus on football for BR and stop getting involved in petty squabbles ... big game this week.

Tar everyone with the same brush then.

surely individual needs are more appropriate for dealing with players at this level.

As pointed out sturidge needs his set regime due to his tendancy to pick up muscle injuries. last year i reckon Suarez didnt need the same regime due to his durability. Sterling may need somethng similar to Sturridge rather than a regime that was suitable to a Suarez/Henderson

What the **** does Paul Scholes know about managing players fitness? Absolutely **** all.

Just because he didn't doesn't mean every player doesn't.

slingerz wrote: »
    Tar everyone with the same brush then.

surely individual needs are more appropriate for dealing with players at this level.

As pointed out sturidge needs his set regime due to his tendancy to pick up muscle injuries. last year i reckon Suarez didnt need the same regime due to his durability. Sterling may need somethng similar to Sturridge rather than a regime that was suitable to a Suarez/Henderson

As Scholes said there were some that trained differently, mainly the older players - i'd be inclined to TAR the 19 year olds with same brush myself and i find it a little hard to believe that we are talking about him needing a rest before anyone else in the squad this season - doesn't add up to me - Sturridge - possibly but i'd still lean on the side of Scholes' and others international players judgement that they all follow the same regime.

Not like Roy wants him injured he is one of his best players.

Would we even skip a beat if Seamus Coleman or James MCCarthy played 90 mins in both qualifiers and got injured? What about if they said they were tired?

NukaCola wrote: »
    What the **** does Paul Scholes know about managing players fitness? Absolutely **** all.

Just because he didn't doesn't mean every player doesn't.

Well, for starters he only played for 20 odd years with a training regime that was most likely second to none - played alongside players of different sizes, abilities, NEEDS and surely would have an idea what he is on about.

Would you question Stevie G if he came out and said the same comments? Also a little common sense here ... Sterling, tired? Come on.

i'd be inclined to TAR the 19 year olds with same brush myself and i find it a little hard to believe that we are talking about him needing a rest before anyone else in the squad this season

Raheem Sterling played the second highest minutes from the England squad that started against Estonia. Are you saying he should not be tired because he's 19?

As Scholes said there were some that trained differently, mainly the older players - i'd be inclined to TAR the 19 year olds with same brush myself and i find it a little hard to believe that we are talking about him needing a rest before anyone else in the squad this season - doesn't add up to me - Sturridge - possibly but i'd still lean on the side of Scholes' and others international players judgement that they all follow the same regime.

Would we even skip a beat if Seamus Coleman or James MCCarthy played 90 mins in both qualifiers and got injured? What about if they said they were tired?

Seamus Coleman and McCarthy are different types of players that dont suffer from the same muscle injuries that Sturridge or Sterling suffer from? So why would they need the same type of training?

Michael Owen was a similar player to sterling in terms of body composition and he suffered from numberous recurring muscle injuries that perhaps could have been avoided by following a similar sports science decided training routine as Sterling/Sturridge are now undertaking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

You would tar all 19 year olds with the same brush - did you get that opinion from your years of work as a fitness coach of a professional team?

• Advertisement

Well, for starters he only played for 20 odd years with a training regime that was most likely second to none - played alongside players of different sizes, abilities, NEEDS and surely would have an idea what he is on about.

Would you question Stevie G if he came out and said the same comments? Also a little common sense here ... Sterling, tired? Come on.

That does not make him qualified. He also played for the one of the best managers ever, would he be a great manager? Paul Scholes was a great Midfield player, that doesn't mean he know what he's talking about when it comes to players fitness.

As i said before Raheem Sterling played the second highest minutes from the England squad that started against Estonia. Are you saying he should not be tired because he's 19?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Internet experts - save us from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Don't do it.

Comments supporting Rodgers and dissing Sterling are the only acceptable ones in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

So if it didn't exist in Scholes time playing football, it can never exist?

Science moves onwards all the time, perhaps Scholes just got left behind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

That does not make him qualified. He also played for the one of the best managers ever, would he be a great manager? Paul Scholes was a great Midfield player, that doesn't mean he know what he's talking about when it comes to players fitness.

As i said before Raheem Sterling played the second highest minutes from the England squad that started against Estonia. Are you saying he should not be tired because he's 19?

You are going to paint yourself into a corner with this one as it's essentially an appeal to authority. You don't believe Scholes knows anything about this topic. Which he may or may not. He probably knows more than most of us, as his career was dependent on his fitness. So if he can't have an opinion, then neither can you or I.

Rodgers is from one school of thought with regards to rest days. Scholes states that Tony Strudwick, a highly rated fitness coach, thinks differently. Do you not think that maybe Rodgers is just trying to minimise the impact of international duty on his players? Which is fair enough, but he shouldn't be too upset when the English set-up prioritises their campaign and trusts fitness regime over his.

noodler wrote: »
    Don't do it.

Comments supporting Rodgers and dissing Sterling are the only acceptable ones in here.

Who's supporting Rodgers and dissing Sterling?

Sturridge has a personal fitness regime based on his needs. Paul Scholes says he doesn't need it even though professional fitness experts say he does. Paul Scholes also said Sterling does not need a rest when the player said he did. This is based on Paul Scholes own opinion, which means very little seeing as he is not a fitness expert.

• Advertisement

You are going to paint yourself into a corner with this one as it's essentially an appeal to authority. You don't believe Scholes knows anything about this topic. Which he may or may not. He probably knows more than most of us, as his career was dependent on his fitness. So if he can't have an opinion, then neither can you or I.

Rodgers is from one school of thought with regards to rest days. Scholes states that Tony Strudwick, a highly rated fitness coach, thinks differently. Do you not think that maybe Rodgers is just trying to minimise the impact of international duty on his players? Which is fair enough, but he shouldn't be too upset when the English set-up prioritises their campaign and trusts fitness regime over his.

Liverpool have managed injuries extremely well when compared to other clubs. Liverpools fitness team have a good record in managing Sturridge and i would side with their opinion of a player they work directly with on a day to day basis over that of Paul Scholes and Tony Strudwick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

joe123 wrote: »
    Liverpool have Sturridge on set regime, sturridge requested the same from England and they denied him.

Made him train and he got injured.

Didn't know Sturridge had explained to Hodgson he was on a special training regime and asked to be allowed stick with it. I missed that (critical) part.

Obviously, especially with hindsight, allowing Sturridge to continue with his special regime would have benefited both England and LFC but if you remove the Hodgson personality from the equation and look at it from any International Managers perspective does he want to create a precedent where every member of his squad can request that they train according to their own individual or 'special' training regime? You'd end up with chaos. International managers only have their players for a very short time so they have to try and get as much work out of them as possible in terms of drilling formation and getting players who may not have played much together used to each other. Balancing that need Vs special training requirements and the fact international managers are under pressure to win every single game with no chance to put a bad performance right until the next international which could be months away and it's understandable that they err on the side of getting the work done to win the match. At the end of the day whoever is England manager is always going to put preparing to win the next match first.

Liverpool have managed injuries extremely well when compared to other clubs. Liverpools fitness team have a good record in managing Sturridge and i would side with their opinion of a player they work directly with on a day to day basis over that of Paul Scholes and Tony Strudwick.

Correlation doesn't equal causation. We can't say that Liverpool's injury record is better than Arsenal's, let's say, because their fitness team is better. It could be down to fewer injury prone players, bad luck, fewer games to play in a season etc. I sincerely doubt that Liverpool's fitness team is doing something revolutionary. If they were, they'd be on the next plane to Oil Baronsville or eating tapas in Madrid or Catalonia right now.

I get the argument that Rodgers knows his players best and there's every chance that he is genuine when he is complaining about England. But don't you think it's strange that it's only him and his players involved? Do you not think that he is maybe only looking at what benefits Liverpool and ignoring the fact that these players are purely the preserve of the national team a few times a year? You'll say he's right to do that but, by that logic, so is Hodgson right to trust his staff and look out for his interests.

I'll tell you one thing, if Liverpool have a couple of cup runs and are playing Saturday-Tuesday throughout this season, Sturridge and Sterling most certainly will not be getting their 2 day rest times.

Correlation doesn't equal causation. We can't say that Liverpool's injury record is better than Arsenal's, let's say, because their fitness team is better. It could be down to fewer injury prone players, bad luck, fewer games to play in a season etc. I sincerely doubt that Liverpool's fitness team is doing something revolutionary. If they were, they'd be on the next plane to Oil Baronsville or eating tapas in Madrid or Catalonia right now.

I get the argument that Rodgers knows his players best and there's every chance that he is genuine when he is complaining about England. But don't you think it's strange that it's only him and his players involved? Do you not think that he is maybe only looking at what benefits Liverpool and ignoring the fact that these players are purely the preserve of the national team a few times a year? You'll say he's right to do that but, by that logic, so is Hodgson right to trust his staff and look out for his interests.

I'll tell you one thing, if Liverpool have a couple of cup runs and are playing Saturday-Tuesday throughout this season, Sturridge and Sterling most certainly will not be getting their 2 day rest times.

My take on it is this, a simple request to rest DS was ignored and he got injured as a result. Managers of club and country rely on each other for players well being etc Would it have killed RH team to treat DS as asked to maintain a good relationship? No is the simple answer. As a result I would bet BR told his players if you dont feel 100% dont play because RH will play you.

It would not annoy me that much but RH has a history of playing LFC players injured. Should we trust a man who does that with our players and keep quiet? BR was right to get annoyed with him and his fitness team for the injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Hasn't Van Gaal removed him for the 1st team? Man Utd have alot of muscle injuries & I heard Strudwick on an Sky programme last year & he was very old school in his thinking which isn't a good thing.

• Advertisement

Has there been any pics of Sturridge training? #worried

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

gafferino wrote: »
    Has there been any pics of Sturridge training? #worried

7vT5YWL.png

Daniel Sturridge returns to training

Does anybody really care what Scholes says? He seems to try to be outspoken and a little controversial.

Mumble mumble.... Something controversial and not intelligent ... mumble mumble

Rodgers and his team know how to handle LFC players. A player/ex-player who thinks he knows more than fitness coaches and established managers is talking nonsense

At the end of the day the sports science behind this all is more knowledgable that Paul Scholes, Roy Hodgson or Brendan Rodgers in the appropriate training to be done by a player akin to Daniel Sturridge or Raheem Sterling at this stage of their careers

MD1990 wrote: »
    Hasn't Van Gaal removed him for the 1st team? Man Utd have alot of muscle injuries & I heard Strudwick on an Sky programme last year & he was very old school in his thinking which isn't a good thing.

Yeah, he is now the head of athletic development for the club and looks after the fitness for all the youth teams. He definitely knows what he is doing like and as I said, it's mental to insinuate that the muscle injuries at United are anything to do with him. How was he old-school? Got a link?

It might be case of differing approaches and schools of thought with regards to fitness coaching, but it'll not be us that figures out which one is correct.

At the end of the day, England need their best players too and if Rodgers wants to play Sterling for 120 minutes against a Championship side in the League Cup, he can't really complain if England want to get the most out of his players as well.

martyos121 wrote: »

Is that the image macro that normally contains a gorilla?

martyos121 wrote: »

Yeah but havent seen him in any of the team training photos this week :confused::o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

gafferino wrote: »
    Yeah but havent seen him in any of the team training photos this week :confused::o
    Brendan not letting him be seen training in case Hodgson tries to injure him before the weekend:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Scholes spot on as usual

Hodgson said Sturridge never asked and Rodgers never told him about the two day thing before the injury, if it is an English player Roy has as much say as Brendan about whether they play or train as at the end of the day they both have to be winning games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

By the way it was reported in more than a few papers that Sturridge asked to sit out the training session he got injured in. Roy denies it? Well I guess he would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Scholes spot on as usual

Hodgson said Sturridge never asked and Rodgers never told him about the two day thing before the injury, if it is an English player Roy has as much say as Brendan about whether they play or train as at the end of the day they both have to be winning games

Of course, you wouldn't be biased...

Scholes spot on as usual
    There’s a chance he’s worn out. Rayne’s peak may have been a lot younger than what we’d expect of boards posters traditionally. Age 28 or 29 has been the normal ‘peak’. With Rayne, it could have been when he wrote 27 posts in the Liverpool versus Manchester United thread 2011-12

Rayne wants all the responsibility to post. He’ll try to post in different match threads of rival teams. Sometimes he does that too much instead of saving himself and his energy for what his teams need – posting in the United thread.

Fairly spot on analysis of Wayne you there all right :p

Brendan has been a prolific passer of the blame torch as of late, I'm sure if anything Hodgson said wasn't true he would be all over it in an interview

Considering 3 of Liverpool's most important players are English it's probably best to keep relationships good with Hodgson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Brendan has been a prolific passer of the blame torch as of late, I'm sure if anything Hodgson said wasn't true he would be all over it in an interview

Considering 3 of Liverpool's most important players are English it's probably best to keep relationships good with Hodgson

As has been said before, you remember how Fergie was with regard to players going on International duty, particularly friendlies?

Rodgers responsibility is top Liverpool, not England or any other national team. When players regularly come back injured, he is right to stand up to that...

No it does not make him qualified BUT you said what the **** does he know about fitness. I am saying he might not be an expert but the guy has done nothing but train fulltime in a side that played more games than most in a season and would have experienced alot more than we would have regarding nutrition and fitness ... so when he says everyone trains like that and they probably shouldn't be injured ... you'd have to have some sort of agreement with it.

IMO of course.

And YES - i am saying he should not be tired because he is 19! He is in the senior team a good while now, he has obviously worked on his physique and training as he is built like a tank this season and has progressed greatly. Tired at 10 games in ... sorry, not having it.

That said - i will say we should definately be careful with him as proved the case with so many young stars that play every game of every season, world cups, euros, trips to Asia/USA off season etc ... they will eventually burn out. But Sterling is a long way from that atm.

Keep telling him he is tired and he will be tired.

Dickerty wrote: »
    As has been said before, you remember how Fergie was with regard to players going on International duty, particularly friendlies?

Rodgers responsibility is top Liverpool, not England or any other national team. When players regularly come back injured, he is right to stand up to that...

Fergie's success ensured he had a hold over the FA, as a United fan who doesn't care about the English national team I obviosuly thought this was fantastic

Rodgers is a bit off having the same influence and I think Hodgson will make it difficult for Rodgers in the future to continue the power struggle

Fergie's success ensured he had a hold over the FA, as a United fan who doesn't care about the English national team I obviosuly thought this was fantastic

Rodgers is a bit off having the same influence and I think Hodgson will make it difficult for Rodgers in the future to continue the power struggle

Rodgers is correct to be stern with the FA and have a strong stance over sending players back injured if he feels they genuinely had a part to play - but also must be very careful in his choice of words - afterall Lallana/Hendo/Sterling/Sturridge are all looking for a place in the next Euros and that relationship should be better respected on both sides.

Even Fergie in his prime still bent towards the FA the year he had to go to the world club championships - he was furious and almost boycotted it! At the end of the day the FA has the power and you must play the game with them.

The Sterling thing to me is a sad state cos he is clearly being used as a pawn by Hodgson to say "Look this lad is already complaining about feeling tired right after their manager has a go at my fitness regime" ... it's definate payback as such.

Both managers need to protect their own interests but at same time do it a little more professionally.

It's becoming obvious why Scholes shunned the media for years. Talks a lot of nonsense.

Leave the sport science to the experts Paul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Mumble mumble.... Something intelligent

Yeah, what a stupid guy that Scholes is :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Trilla wrote: »
    I shot JR

I hate when people are misquoted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement