Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Is there any chance that Sturridge was just going to pick up an injury anyway?
    What about the other times he was with the England team and didn't get injured? What about the times he got injured at Liverpool?

All I heard towards the end of the transfer window was that you needed another striker because Sturridge will have spells out injured.
    If it wasn't Hodgson, this would be getting far less attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

247276d1324583780-funny-pic-gif-thread-stupid-comments-tumblr_lwip0hsgsz1r4wsi8o1_500_large.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Just relax lads.....relax.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

martyos121 wrote: »

:pac:

"Imagine........you.........and your fullbacks, overlapping in a rainforest"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

martyos121 wrote: »

That's creepy as fcuk.

• Advertisement

Is there any chance that Sturridge was just going to pick up an injury anyway?
    What about the other times he was with the England team and didn't get injured? What about the times he got injured at Liverpool?

All I heard towards the end of the transfer window was that you needed another striker because Sturridge will have spells out injured.
    If it wasn't Hodgson, this would be getting far less attention.

He had two injuries on England duty in the last year.
    One when he was played injured to test his "resolve"
    This last one when he should have been handled better.

Would he pick up another injury anyway, probably. Its not outrageous to moan about it when the manager has a history of mishandling LFC's player. You are falsely coming to the conclusion that we are annoyed just because it is Hodgson.

That's creepy as fcuk.

Relax...

NukaCola wrote: »
    You are falsely coming to the conclusion that we are annoyed just because it is Hodgson.

Honest answer, if it was Cappello, would it be getting the same attention?

It's definitely a factor in my eyes.

It may be a factor to some I'll give you that.

However, for me personally, if it were Capello i'd be the same.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If it was Mourinho or Wenger would you be as interested in discussing it? It's definitely a factor in my eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

The "how can a 19 year old be tired" argument seems to be straight out of the Johnny Giles book of Jumpers for Goalposts & Orange Slices at half time, knowledge.

The problem here actually seems to be coming from the word "tired" people think, "oh a tired 19 year old...typical lazy teenager". We're talking about high performance sport here not going to the shop for some milk, there's a different context. I would have thought it's a good thing to have players keeping coaches informed about their fitness and general wellbeing, especially in team sports, so the player can perform to the best of his ability and if not give appropriate time for another player to come in to benefit the team.

Anybody who watches Liverpool games will tell you how hard Sterling works on the pitch and also how his performances have dipped recently, certainly would suggest "tiredness" to me.

It all just stinks of typical English media bollox talk to be honest, the old school hard man act which has served the national team so well over years. Hodgson, as per usual has put his foot in it here, finally a lot of English and PL fans are realising that this is par for the course for the man and not just some imagined nonsense from bitter Liverpool fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

rarnes1 wrote: »
    It's becoming obvious why Scholes shunned the media for years. Talks a lot of nonsense.

Leave the sport science to the experts Paul.

Yes, leave it to the experts on boards.

5starpool wrote: »
    If it was Mourinho or Wenger would you be as interested in discussing it? It's definitely a factor in my eyes.

I've discussed Mourinho's antics plenty of times, not sure what that has to do with anything?
    I'm making a point, reply to it or ignore it, no need to deflect it back on to me.

That type of comment is everything that's wrong with this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Personally, it doesn't matter who it was.

If Capello was the manager, and the club specifically said a particular player absolutely needs a second recovery day to avoid injury according to the sports scientists who work with him on a daily basis, and the player himself, with a long history of injury, says the same - if Capello ignored that and just had a 1 size fits all training regeme, i'd be very pissed off. Though I don't think Capello would do that to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Alan Shearer and Robbie Savage have questioned Sterling being tired - that means Liverpool are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Paul Scholes has a tiny Mickey

Yes, leave it to the experts on boards.

I'd say the sports scientists, fitness coaches and Rodgers know more than boardsies. Apologies to any sports scientists online :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Capello was criticised pretty vehemently over playing Gerrard in a nothing game and him getting injured.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

That type of comment is everything that's wrong with this forum.

I can think of plenty more that are worse, but I'm not going to into them here sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

laughed out loud....:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ginger pubes too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Liverpool v Southampton U21s at Anfield, no live coverage except vis twitter which tells me its 1-2 to the away side.

Ward, Randall, Maguire, Stewart, Jones, Williams, McLaughlin, Phillips, Sinclair (goal), Brannagan, Wilson.

Jordan Rossiter, Alex O'Hanlon, and Dan Trickett-Smith on as subs.

Good to see McLaughlin is back.

FT 1-3 to Southampton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

he was always known to have shire tackle alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Mario's a top lad.

It's interesting that he sees himself as more of a playmaker.

That's very much how he's been playing. I'd love to see him behind Sturridge and Origi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Rarely give much attention to these type of things but was bored earlier and followed a link to the Telegraph's 100 greatest PL players of all time. At 99 John Barnes which is one place below No. 98, Scott Parker. Yes, Parker's played a hell of a lot more games at PL level but 90 minutes of Barnesie at PL level is better than a career of Parkerishness.
    Then decided to have a peek at No. 97. Shouldn't have. Phil Neville.

mosstin wrote: »
    Rarely give much attention to these type of things but was bored earlier and followed a link to the Telegraph's 100 greatest PL players of all time. At 99 John Barnes which is one place below No. 98, Scott Parker. Yes, Parker's played a hell of a lot more games at PL level but 90 minutes of Barnesie at PL level is better than a career of Parkerishness.
    The decided to have a peek at No. 98. Shouldn't have. Phil Neville.

https://m.facebook.com/IFLLiverpool?v=timeline&filter=1

Scroll down a bit to October 10th to see a fantastic Barnes Montage. The man was a genius and one of the greatest players to ever play for the club, in one of the greatest teams assembled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,787 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

rarnes1 wrote: »
    https://m.facebook.com/IFLLiverpool?v=timeline&filter=1

Scroll down a bit to October 10th to see a fantastic Barnes Montage. The man was a genius and one of the greatest players to ever play for the club, in one of the greatest teams assembled.

Never tested on the European stage, and questionable enough at international level, "that goal" aside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Never tested on the European stage, and questionable enough at international level, "that goal" aside.

We were talking about Barnes. Why bring Cantona into this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

mosstin wrote: »
    Then decided to have a peek at No. 97. Shouldn't have. Phil Neville.

I'm guessing it's because his peak years came just before the "Premier League" begun. For 3 or 4 years there in the late 80's he was undoubtably one of the best players in the world. There were seasons he scored 15, 22 and 16 league goals. From the wing. Which is insane. In comparision the highest another great winger like Ryan Giggs scored was 13 and 11. Barnes actually scored double digit league goals in 7 seasons (4 with Watford, 3 with Liverpool). Giggs managed it twice.

The lack of European football has probably hurt Barnes' legacy as he never got to play in Europe in his prime. Especially with a Liverpool side that may well have been the best team in Europe for a couple of those years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Anybody else worried about not getting a win on Sunday?

We really should be putting QPR away but who knows. The win against West Brom was tight, although they shouldn't have been given the penalty.

Looking at the weekend fixtures we might only jump ahead of Spurs. Southampton, Swansea and West Ham have winnable games.

I'm hoping for a comfortable 3-0 win and it kick starts our season and September can be forgotten about.

padd b1975 wrote: »

He was quite unlucky at international comps tbf. Injured in 1990 during a group game and was unused until the quarters in 86.

Post 1990 Graham Taylor was on the scene and England in general were abysmal. But yeah his international form was patchy when you look back. He was booed by classy England fans towards the end too. Top chaps.

It certainly doesn't take away from the fact he was one of the greatest players to play for the club in one of its greatest teams. Legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Can't remember who it was but I remember another England international at that time saying that Barnes was seen as the danger man by most countries so they would double up on him which would explain why he wasn't as effective in International football.

Anyway, who cares about England, he was a genius in a Liverpool shirt, for me only Suarez tops him as the best Liverpool player I've seen in my lifetime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

kfallon wrote: »
    for me only Suarez tops him as the best Liverpool player I've seen in my lifetime.

I agree with this. Barnes was wonderful

“I’m fed up reading about this club v country, claims we intervened and put pressure on Roy Hodgson,” Rodgers told The Independent.

“I’ve read we sent a dossier to the FA on Raheem Sterling and Daniel Sturridge and I’m having showdown talks with Roy Hodgson on Sunday and all sorts of rubbish. The decision not to play him was a managerial decision. I haven’t said a single word but have to say I have never seen such rubbish written over the past few days.

“At no point did Raheem Sterling say he didn’t want to play for England. The boy is being hung out to dry and I dare say the criticism will continue for a few more weeks to come because of this.”

http://www.setanta.com/ie/rodgers-hits-back-in-sterling-row/?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Hodgson really is a clown. A week later and Sterling is still being talked about and under the spotlight unfairly.

I'm not going to get into whether it's right or wrong that Sterling should be tired. But he went up to his manager and let him know how he was feeling at the time, what should be a private conversation between the two.

It's not like Sterling refused to play. Hodgson made a decision on the back of this discussion and played Lallana.

For Hodgson to come out and put all the blame on Sterling like this just goes to show him up for what he is. A coward.

How is Sterling meant to trust Hodgson after this? He can't really and he can't have much respect for him anymore either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Rodgers sounds pissed and he's right to be. Hodgson is some clown and once again show's that he has no class and way out of his depth.

Any decent manager who would protect their players would just say " The lad didn't look sharp in training, looked a bit tired, we said we would give him a rest. We have a quality squad here plenty of other players pushing for a starting spot"

Instead he hangs a 19 year old out in public. I'd call it shocking management but we all know what this fool is capable of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

rob316 wrote: »
    Rodgers sounds pissed and he's right to be. Hodgson is some clown and once again show's that he has no class and way out of his depth.

Any decent manager who would protect their players would just say " The lad didn't look sharp in training, looked a bit tired, we said we would give him a rest. We have a quality squad here plenty of other players pushing for a starting spot"

Instead he hangs a 19 year old out in public. I'd call it shocking management but we all know what this fool is capable of.
    That's the thing, though.

Every time he opens his mouth, it reveals a whole new level of stupidity.

• Advertisement

http://www.sport-magazine.co.uk/features/simple-life

Balotelli interview. Worth a read.

Henderson standard chartered player of the month. First won he has won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Anybody else worried about not getting a win on Sunday?

We really should be putting QPR away but who knows. The win against West Brom was tight, although they shouldn't have been given the penalty.

Looking at the weekend fixtures we might only jump ahead of Spurs. Southampton, Swansea and West Ham have winnable games.

I'm hoping for a comfortable 3-0 win and it kick starts our season and September can be forgotten about.

Only thing i am worried about is the team will have an eye on the Real Madrid game mid week instead of QPR

Great stuff from Brendan. None of the usual sitting on the fence comments. Straight to the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

NukaCola wrote: »
    Great stuff from Brendan. None of the usual sitting on face comments. Straight to the point.

This is how I read that post

I need another coffee - Not awake yet :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

x43r0 wrote: »
    This is how I read that post

I need another coffee - Not awake yet :(
    You sir, have been watching too much dodgy pron :pac:

"Let me tell you, there have been at least five occasions in the past when Raheem has said he felt tired before games but he's never refused to play," Rodgers continued.

"We have taken on board what he has said and taken a decision accordingly. I rested him against Aston Villa (13 September) and we lost the game. But it was our decision to do so - and our decision alone.

"Last season, he said he felt tired before the Manchester City game (13 April). We won 3-2 and he put in a man-of-the-match performance.

"The point I’m making is you have to take on board advice from your own people and make your own decision, right or wrong."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/9519704/european-qualifiers-brendan-rodgers-insists-no-pressure-put-on-england-over-liverpools-raheem-sterling

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

gafferino wrote: »
    http://www.sport-magazine.co.uk/features/simple-life

Balotelli interview. Worth a read.

The independent put a twist on that article with a back page headline of balotelli blames rodgers tactics for his lack of goals. Worse than a tabloid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Augmerson wrote: »
    I hate when people are misquoted.

What? I took out a few words to shorten it... he still said "mumble mumble" and "say something stupid" (or whatever it was)

My post is still 100% canbokitrovy

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement