Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Hodgson could have stopped this Sterling shíte before it started by just telling the media that Sterling had played a lot of games, and that he thought England had enough in reserve not to risk him against Estonia.

it's unbelievable how inept Roy is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,787 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

rarnes1 wrote: »

It certainly doesn't take away from the fact he was one of the greatest players to play for the club in one of its greatest teams. Legend

Not quite as cut and dried as you make out I'm afraid....

There's always going to be an a question mark over the 86 to 90 era including JB because of the lack of European tests.

How would that brilliant attacking side shape up against the great Milan side of the late 80s or any Italian side from easily the toughest league around?

How about the dour Eastern Bloc clubs who parked the bus to a penalty shootout in European Cup Finals?

padd b1975 wrote: »

There's always going to be an a question mark over the 86 to 90 era including JB because of the lack of European tests.

How would that brilliant attacking side shape up against the great Milan side of the late 80s or any Italian side from easily the toughest league around?

How about the dour Eastern Bloc clubs who parked the bus to a penalty shootout in European Cup Finals?

Your reply to that post makes no sense whatsoever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Your reply to that post makes no sense whatsoever

He clearly means that with no European fixtures it was easy for Liverpool to win all those titles. Like last year, we were only good because we had no Europe. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

SlickRic wrote: »
    Hodgson could have stopped this Sterling shíte before it started by just telling the media that Sterling had played a lot of games, and that he thought England had enough in reserve not to risk him against Estonia.

it's unbelievable how inept Roy is.

That's what he would have said if England had won 6-0.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

The Liverpool team of around 88 was arguably the best in Europe. We'd probably have at least six European Cups if it wasn't for the ban.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Has kess been on or posted since lads?

Sturridge to be assessed tomorrow. :o:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Rodgers:
    Our second day recovery is a technical session. They don't sit at home watching Sky Sports

In your face Roy, in your face :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

monkey9 wrote: »
    The Liverpool team of around 88 was arguably the best in Europe. We'd probably have at least six European Cups if it wasn't for the ban.

You can never guarantee trophies obviously especially in a knock out cup competitions and the 88 side would have had to beat Milan of the late 80's but they were the only side in Europe that would have had a chance that year IMO. The 1986 and 1990 teams would have had a good shot as well. The 86 side won the double over a very strong Everton team.

You still meet plenty of Liverpool fans who went to all the games back in the late 70's and 80's who say the 88 side was the best of the lot. Bar none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

i would be saying that im glad the league is bak after the stupid international break but this break has been a pleasure to us irish :D

we need a great performance ahead of that nighmare game v madrid!

I welcome this spat between Rodgers and Hodgson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

You can never guarantee trophies obviously especially in a knock out cup competitions and the 88 side would have had to beat Milan of the late 80's but they were the only side in Europe that would have had a chance that year IMO. The 1986 and 1990 teams would have had a good shot as well. The 86 side won the double over a very strong Everton team.

You still meet plenty of Liverpool fans who went to all the games back in the late 70's and 80's who say the 88 side was the best of the lot. Bar none.

I think PSV Eindhoven won the European Cup in 1988 so Liverpool could well have done it that year. Of course we'll never know now but I'd love to have known how they'd have got on in the late eighties.

NukaCola wrote: »
    He clearly means that with no European fixtures it was easy for Liverpool to win all those titles. Like last year, we were only good because we had no Europe. :pac:

What I mean is this....

It's impossible to properly judge Barnes and by extension the Liverpool team of that era accurately solely on how they preformed in the English league.

Some of us around here are old enough to remember the state the English game was in back then.

Ramshackle grounds, long ball tactics aplenty, hooligans, drinking culture, financial problems etc etc.

I'm not for a second saying Barnes or Liverpool were lacking in quality, just that the emperor may not have been wearing as many clothes as you think....

Imagine the contest between the 89 Milan side and that Liverpool side though!!

• Advertisement

What I mean is this....

It's impossible to properly judge Barnes and by extension the Liverpool team of that era accurately solely on how they preformed in the English league.

Some of us around here are old enough to remember the state the English game was in back then.

Ramshackle grounds, long ball tactics aplenty, hooligans, drinking culture, financial problems etc etc.

I'm not for a second saying Barnes or Liverpool were lacking in quality, just that the emperor may not have been wearing as many clothes as you think....

Imagine the contest between the 89 Milan side and that Liverpool side though!!

Only 2 years previous there was an English club in the European Cup final in a decade they were dominating Europe so you are again making little sense and keep introducing more pieces to a botched argument.

Drinking culture, ramshackle grounds? Wtf. Zero to do with the debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

gafferino wrote: »

Jesus he's still not fit so? ****ing Roy Hodgson :mad:

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

monkey9 wrote: »
    I think PSV Eindhoven won the European Cup in 1988 so Liverpool could well have done it that year. Of course we'll never know now but I'd love to have known how they'd have got on in the late eighties.

We aren't wouldn't have been in it that season anyhow. We would have been in it the following season though, but that was the Hillsborough season.

Only 2 years previous there was an English club in the European Cup final in a decade they were dominating Europe so you are again making little sense and keep introducing more pieces to a botched argument. .
    2 years is a lifetime in football, just ask any United fan:cool:
    Drinking culture, ramshackle grounds? Wtf. Zero to do with the debate
    You don't think an overall view of the English game at that time has a place in a discussion about John Barnes and Liverpool of the 80s??

OK......

Personally I would think where they played 100% of their football and what the game was like merits inclusion, but it would seem not in your eyes.:confused:

All the lads back in training judging by the pics apart from Sturridge.

Oh and Joe Allen looked to be fully recovered until this happened......

10173572_10152918723857573_958897488723314991_n.jpg?oh=3c1c91b3b3cc838043545497c0407b26&oe=54B55062

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Roy Hodgson - Muppet who nearly got Liverpool relegated.

Alan Shearer - Afraid to play with the big clubs. Gob****e.

And the Everton manager laughing at Sterling - well done on your "effort" against City.

gafferino wrote: »

I'm really looking forward to seeing Sturridge with Balotelli however the Liverpool team should be well capable of beating QPR without Sturridge, the increasing pressure on Harry won't help QPR, I can see things getting worse there before (if) they get better.

With Henderson, Lallana & Sterling in midfield with Allen & Can also available there should be no excuses. I'm all for the small sample size argument of it being one game and anything can happen on the day but Liverpool have plenty of options for the first 11 and the opposition is woeful.

It's a game that would suit Lambert I feel, they'll have bodies behind the ball and route 1 for the first 20 minutes might well be fruitful, Lambert had several decent chances in the last game, he got in good positions etc, I'd like to see him starting with Balotelli.

He can play as the target man, takes the pressure off Balotelli, Lambert has a good touch and a good positional brain, well worth trying imo. They both like a shot from outside the box too which might be useful.

Who is doing the match thread?

Augmerson wrote: »
    Who is doing the match thread?

Gafferino

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Gafferino

What's his track record?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I think Harry should do just because it's QPR and 'Arry.

A kind of meant to be kind of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

No thanks. Kiss of death I suspect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Are we tomorrow evening or Sun afternoon lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Pique

OK, not part of the discussion, but I'm going through my Youtube clips and this deserves to be here.....again....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

Pique wrote: »
    OK, not part of the discussion, but I'm going through my Youtube clips and this deserves to be here.....again....

That's deadly.

Question: How does support for Liverpool and Everton break down in Liverpool? Is it even or does one team have more pull? Or is it like in Manchester where City seems to have more support but outside of there United have more pull?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Question: How does support for Liverpool and Everton break down in Liverpool? Is it even or does one team have more pull? Or is it like in Manchester where City seems to have more support but outside of there United have more pull?

It'd be reasonably even I'd say.

Not sure of the exact breakdown.

Everton like to see themselves as the Peoples club, which roughly translates as the less successful club in Liverpool's shadow. Success brings tons of fans from all over to see certain teams in the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Pique wrote: »

That was class. When is the Glen Johnson one coming out? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

martyos121 wrote: »
    That was class. When is the Glen Johnson one coming out? :pac:

Sminky shorts will be your best bet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Jimmy Rice ‏@JimmyRiceWriter 2m2 minutes ago Morning papers will report that Sturridge suffered a calf injury on his return to training and will be out for another month #LFC

:(:(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Fcuk this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

MD1990 wrote: »
    :(:(:(:(

FFS

• Advertisement

Balotelli really has to step his game up now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Sigh.

I think we should sign a striker in January. Maybe go for Lacazette.

A player that cannot stay fit isn't worth much to us tbh.

As someone said fitness is a skill too and he just doesn't seem to have it.

Striker definately needs to be top priority in Jan. I'd imagine it was anyway

MD1990 wrote: »
    I think we should sign a striker in January. Maybe go for Lacazette.

Would have to be an outgoing striker too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

FFS

Could be a proper troll

I've seen 1 person on Twitter saying this and they're as reliable as a chocolate teapot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Sturridge, great guy and player. Shame he's made out of those sherbet ufo things

Would have to be an outgoing striker too.
    Borini will be gone in Jan (probably on loan to Inter) & I think Lambert will be sold in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Maybe Valdes can play upfront! Screw Lille, we need to get our player back from them ASAP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

This is an absolute disaster lads. We are in the shit now.

It's grand, sure we have Ballotelli :o

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement