Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Echo reporting it now. Out for another month. This could get messy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Well, balls

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

gutted
    was looking forward to having danny back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I seem to remember Nuri getting a lot of stick for saying he didn't want Sturridge because of his injury record....hmmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I seem to remember Nuri getting a lot of stick for saying he didn't want Sturridge because of his injury record....hmmm.

And it has in no way been vindicated.

He has been one of the best strikers we have had in all my time watching Liverpool. The fact that he is now out for a couple of months doesn't change that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

There was lads on here saying we didn't even need to buy one striker during summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

That's a kick in the scrotum about Sturridge,he really is a sick note

Buy a top striker in Jan and then another in the summer.

This scenario was talked about during the summer and the management should have planned for the inevitable Sturridge injuries. Instead they played it cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

And it has in no way been vindicated.

He has been one of the best strikers we have had in all my time watching Liverpool. The fact that he is now out for a couple of months doesn't change that.

Yes he has been fantastic when on the pitch for us but it seems to be getting less and less frequent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Any chance of getting Origi in January?

• Advertisement

Yes he has been fantastic when on the pitch for us but it seems to be getting less and less frequent.

It could be forgiven if we adequate backup.

Ballotelli ,Lambert, Borini. All 3 not up to it.

Failure to address strikers in the summer will be a costly move for us and Rodgers

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Buy a top striker in Jan and then another in the summer.

This scenario was talked about during the summer and the management should have planned for the inevitable Sturridge injuries. Instead they played it cheap

It's not realistic for us to have Sturridge (one of the best strikers in Europe), Balotelli (not far off 1 in 2 at his last 2 clubs), Origi (looks a terrific prospect) and then two other top strikers.

People are over-reacting.

We need Balotelli to start scoring goals at the rate he was at Milan. Then we'll be fine for the next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Must be Mario and Fabio on Sunday up front. Mario can't play up on his own and Fabio whilst not having a great goal scoring record, will at least offer mobility and he can play a quick passing game, and occupy defenders.
    If it's not working we have options to bring in, to try and change it.

Is it realistic to expect a young striker who has scored 8/9 goals in 50 apps to come and rescue us?

I'd leave him there to keep developing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

None at all. I always thought a striker would be needed anyway but now its as good as definite. Oh wait Borini! :) .......:o

It's not realistic for us to have Sturridge (one of the best strikers in Europe), Balotelli (not far off 1 in 2 at his last 2 clubs), Origi (looks a terrific prospect) and then two other top strikers.

People are over-reacting.

We need Balotelli to start scoring goals at the rate he was at Milan. Then we'll be fine for the next month.

Surely it's realistic to have 3 top strikers if you want to aim for top 4 and play in the CL ? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Play Gerrard closer to Balotelli and we might have a better chance of scoring.

The other alternative is, since Balotelli can't really play up front on his own (and has said as much) we need to play Borini to help him out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Disaster lads, Balo is no lone striker. Borini and Lambert are plodders. Imagine Lambert playing against Real Madrid, embarrasing.

Sturridge played 80 out of 108 possible premier league games in the 3 seasons before this one. Some of those games missed were games he wasn't picked for Chelsea. That's an average of about 29 games a season. This is the worst lay-off I can remember from him. Hardly time to start succession planning. We need to expect him to miss games and plan accordingly, but we don't need to lose the run of ourselves. We won't find a striker better than Sturridge, let alone 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Really bad news its going to be a long month.

Surely it's realistic to have 3 top strikers if you want to aim for top 4 and play in the CL ? :confused:

It's not realistic for us to have Balotelli as 4th choice striker and Origi as 5th choice.

I'm pretty sure the reason we bought Balotelli is because we couldn't find a better striker than him last summer.

I'd be happy to see Borini and Lambert replaced by one quality striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I can't understand why he's not at liverpool. Going to be a top player and isn't too far away from it

It's not realistic for us to have Balotelli as 4th choice striker and Origi as 5th choice.

I'm pretty sure the reason we bought Balotelli is because we couldn't find a better striker than him last summer.

I'd be happy to see Borini and Lambert replaced by one quality striker.

Why are you mentioning Origi? He's at Lille

Personally, I'd be ditching Ballotelli, Lambert and Borini at the earliest opportunity and trying to get two proper forwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

We should have in the summer I said it and plenty of others did as well and should in January go and buy a proven £30m striker.

My choice in the summer was Higuain and it still is for January.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Hoping this is a bluff before the Madrid game!

• Advertisement

Why are you mentioning Origi? He's at Lille

Personally, I'd be ditching Ballotelli, Lambert and Borini at the earliest opportunity and trying to get two proper forwards.

Origi is going to be at Liverpool next summer, why not mention him?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Hoping this is a bluff before the Madrid game!

I don't think it'd worry them too much if he suddenly made a recovery.

We should have in the summer I said it and plenty of others did as well and should in January go and buy a proven £30m striker.

My choice in the summer was Higuain and it still is for January.

I think it's easier said than done!

The club tried to buy Sanchez. Higuain isn't the Sturridge replacement we all crave, he is nowhere near as mobile, good player all the same.

Can't think of many strikers in the bracket we are looking for.

Liverpool have been dealt another significant blow after Daniel Sturridge broke down in his first session since returning to training. Brendan Rodgers had been hoping to have Sturridge back in time for tomorrow’s game at Queens Park Rangers or Wednesday’s Champions League fixture, but after a five-week lay-off since picking up a thigh injury on England duty the striker could now be out for another month with a calf strain.

It means Rodgers will be short-handed up front for several more weeks, with the so far underwhelming Mario Balotelli the most likely attacking option for the visit of Real Madrid in midweek. “It’s not good news,” Rodgers said on learning his player could not even complete a warm-up on his return to training.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/liverpool-s-daniel-sturridge-out-for-another-month-1.1968094

I think it's easier said than done!

The club tried to buy Sanchez. Higuain isn't the Sturridge replacement we all crave, he is nowhere near as mobile, good player all the same.

Can't think of many strikers in the bracket we are looking for.

He is not a replacement.

But he is a world class player who is a 1 in 2 goal scorer who has done it in Spain, Italy, Argentina & International level. He wants out of Italy from everything I have read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Disaster. The guy is made of glass. Gerrard behind balotelli that should be the way forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Balotelli
    Coutinho-Gerrard-Lallana
    Allen-Henderson
    Moreno-Toure-Skrtel-Manquillo
    Mignolet

I'd be happy with that, providing Allen is fit again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Has Gerrard been promoted to a number 10 because of a 15min cameo?

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Pique wrote: »
    OK, not part of the discussion, but I'm going through my Youtube clips and this deserves to be here.....again....

cringe... up there with Stevie's video to Suarez for the european golden boot, meh,, are there any other vids? are they all Adidas branded players ?

I'd be happier with him at that end of the pitch to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Gerard at #10 is the smart move for me. He has the talent to find the strikers and it will be easier for BR to sub him off or replace him in the team.

Seems to know how to bring strikers into the game, which Balotelli needs. I would also rather him make some mistakes further up the pitch rather than between the centre halves. Wouldn't get through 90 minutes obviously.

So who would play the sweeper /DM role?

Lucas probably the only other player able to do it and he's hardly been setting the world alight.

I fully expect to see Gerrard in his regular position Sunday

• Advertisement

Lucas probably the only other player able to do it and he's hardly been setting the world alight.

Allen if fit, really not sure on his situation though.

Allen if fit, really not sure on his situation though.

Another sicknote unfortunately

So do I

This game could be a good opportunity for Rossiter to possibly get a few minutes, would be happy to see him on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Damn that Rodgers and his silly training methods... Oh wait.

This game could be a good opportunity for Rossiter to possibly get a few minutes, would be happy to see him on the bench.

Allen and Can need the game time a lot more.

T-K-O wrote: »
    Allen and Can need the game time a lot more.

Wasn't sure if they'd even feature, obviously I'd rather see those too get some time, really missing the two of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Very bad news about Sturridge.

This season seems to be going all wrong.
    Reminds me of 2009/10 when it also all went to put after finishing second the previous season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Jaysus just home after a few pints and I am hit by this Sturridge injury. Should have stayed out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

homolumo wrote: »
    Jaysus just home after a few pints and I am hit by this Sturridge injury. Should have stayed out.

Go to coppers and forget about life.

Stevie is probably the top finisher(prob after Balo) at the club, i think we're gonna need him as far forward as possible.

Heartbroken for Studge, he could possibly miss out on our CL campaign this year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement