Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Gbear wrote: »
    They're not risks. The risk is split between 2 players for starters.
    Also, they'll hold their values for 5 years at that age, they're on low wages so will be easier to sell without a huge pay out and they have longer to give a decent return on the investment made.

I don't think we got our policy as a whole spot on, but I think that the players we signed were mostly excellent signings.

If we could've shifted Borini and brought in Remy, Lacazzette or someone like that, then it would've been a perfect window, given the circumstances.

I dont agree. Saying we made excellent signings is almost as bad as writing those players off now. All our signings were overpriced to varying degree's. Lallana/Lovren for example will never be worth what we paid for them again.

If you think Marcovic at 20M is not a gamble I dont know what to tell you other than i dont agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭klose

People writing off players at this stage makes my head hurt.

dfx- wrote: »
    Slower than Morientes?

Lambert makes Morientes look like a young Michael Owen :P

Most of our summer signings have been injured and not featured all that much in fairness.

However a adequate replacements for Suarez should have been sewn up quickly instead of shopping around for the dregs, a la Ballotelli

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

I'd love to know the proper story about not signing Remy. Could do with him now.

Mr Alan wrote: »

If we go from 2nd to well outside the top 4 (which I suspect is how this season will pan out if we don't make some serious investment is actual top players in Jan), will you even then admit these signing have not been 'excellent'? Or is it still excellent business & the best we could have done? :confused:

As the squad stands now Alan, top 4, yes or no without serious investment in top players ( whatever that actually means, its rather a vague, unquantified statement) ?
    It's a one word answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

jenno86 wrote: »
    I'd love to know the proper story about not signing Remy. Could do with him now.

Money.

As I said, I dont really care about who we bought in this issue. BR deemed them adequate and I would be of the opinion that BR has the right to build his squad however he see's fit. I would argue that we needed a quality goal scorer and take issue with people saying we could not get one within our Budget, which btw, is not paltry. Its just another excuse.

I think its obvious that BR just wanted Sturridge Balotelli and Lambert. I would also argue that if we got Remy we probably wouldn't have gone for Balotelli. Unless the plan was to get rid of Borini for Remy? We'll never really know. Either way we have not got a regular goalscorer outside Sturridge and the blame lies with BR.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

klose wrote: »
    People writing off players at this stage makes my head hurt.

Happens. I've done it with Allen. Would be seriously disappointed if he left the club now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

First time back in this thread in ages and now I remember why I left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

ASOT wrote: »
    Don't worry, it only happens one day a week these days.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

5live wrote: »
    Don't worry, it only happens one day a week these days.:)

God help us all when QPR beat us tomorrow ... :pac:

ASOT wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Christ I'm hoping we beat QPR tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

NukaCola wrote: »
    I dont agree. Saying we made excellent signings is almost as bad as writing those players off now. All our signings were overpriced to varying degree's. Lallana/Lovren for example will never be worth what we paid for them again.

If you think Marcovic at 20M is not a gamble I dont know what to tell you other than i dont agree.

You're perfectly able to evaluate the quality of a signing without the need for hindsight. It's just the action of signing a players you're judging rather than the player himself.

We signed several young internationals who've already demonstrated that they can produce quality at a decent level. On that basis signing them was a good idea.

On Markovic, what exactly do we stand to lose? There must be something significant at stake for it to be a gamble.
    If we lose a few million quid no big deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

If we could've shifted Borini and brought in Remy, Lacazzette or someone like that, then it would've been a perfect window, given the circumstances.

Ah now, you are having a laugh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Jordon Ibe just scored for Derby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Ibe scores for Derby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

On Markovic, what exactly do we stand to lose? There must be something significant at stake for it to be a gamble.

The risk on a player like Markovic is more than simply the potential of losing a few million if it doesn't work and Liverpool sell him for a financial loss.

For me the risk is if he diesnt have an impact how will that affect top 4 chances as the season progresses.
    If that 20 million had been spent on/towards a quality mf or striker Liverpool would be in a better position imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭klose

Jordon Ibe just scored for Derby

Teixiera subbed off after 30 mins for Brighton, no idea why

• Advertisement

You're perfectly able to evaluate the quality of a signing without the need for hindsight. It's just the action of signing a players you're judging rather than the player himself.

We signed several young internationals who've already demonstrated that they can produce quality at a decent level. On that basis signing them was a good idea.

This post by Hidalgo is what I'm trying to get at really.
    Hidalgo wrote: »
    The risk on a player like Markovic is more than simply the potential of losing a few million if it doesn't work and Liverpool sell him for a financial loss.

For me the risk is if he diesnt have an impact how will that affect top 4 chances as the season progresses.
    If that 20 million had been spent on/towards a quality mf or striker Liverpool would be in a better position imo.

Not sure why this is carrying on to be honest I've been quiet clear that I have no issue with buying the players that BR wanted. Just that buying potential is a risk, especially when they are needed right now. Also i was using Markovic and Lallana fee's as an example that we had the money to buy another quality forward and didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Most of our summer signings have been injured and not featured all that much in fairness.

However a adequate replacements for Suarez should have been sewn up quickly instead of shopping around for the dregs, a la Ballotelli

Your Balotelli hate is a little unfair

He is not Suarez, but he is not "dregs" as you say and he should not be offloaded in Jan as you seemed to suggest he should be last night.

He is relatively young, and has a pretty good goalscoring record at City and Milan in two strong leagues.

If he was anyone else, he'd get more patience imo

Personally I've been pretty happy with him so far. Particularly with his attitude, strange as it may seem. He has coasted through his career not seeming to care, but his celebration for his own goal and teammates goals, betray the fact that he actually does care and does want to make a success of this. I think he deserves a bit more time and our support

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Vicxas wrote: »
    Christ I'm hoping we beat QPR tomorrow

Shouldn't you be doing that anyway? :pac:

Let's buy more Southampton players.

NukaCola wrote: »
    This post by Hidalgo is what I'm trying to get at really.

Not sure why this is carrying on to be honest I've been quiet clear that I have no issue with buying the players that BR wanted. Just that buying potential is a risk, especially when they are needed right now. Also i was using Markovic and Lallana fee's as an example that we had the money to buy another quality forward and didn't.
    I don't think the plan was to sign Markovic this season. I remember reading in some transfer article that other clubs were interested and it forced our hand and he came a year earlier than planned. I will have a look for it later. So i am not looking for too much from him this season.

Just heard the Sunderland result. Its so bad that even Paulie D is in danger of being fired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Go 5th tomorrow if we win, 4th if we could win by 5 goals.

If we could put a few wins together it would be huge. Arsenal aren't at the races and United have a serious test of there top 4 credentials coming up. Sturridge is a big loss but brendan has to start getting performances from this squad of at the very least grinding out wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

rob316 wrote: »
    Go 5th tomorrow if we win, 4th if we could win by 5 goals.

If we could put a few wins together it would be huge. Arsenal aren't at the races and United have a serious test of there top 4 credentials coming up. Sturridge is a big loss but brendan has to start getting performances from this squad of at the very least grinding out wins.

Right now I'm not overly concerned whether a win jumps one, two or whatever places. Just to get a few wins on the trot and some consistency.

Of course any weekend that some of the cl places competition drop points is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Right now I'm not overly concerned whether a win jumps one, two or whatever places. Just to get a few wins on the trot and some consistency.

Of course any weekend that some of the cl places competition drop points is good.

I'd be of the same opinion really. A composed performance, 3 points, no injuries and a clean sheet isn't too much to ask (it probably is) ahead of the Madrid game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

brevity wrote: »
    I'd be of the same opinion really. A composed performance, 3 points, no injuries and a clean sheet isn't too much to ask (it probably is) ahead of the Madrid game.

Asking for a composed performance is really pushing your luck. 1-0 to Liverpool should cover 2 more of your hopes.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

brevity wrote: »

Madrid have only scored 30 goals in 8 league games. No reason why we can't keep them at bay.

:pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I can claim some kinship with Southampton so I'm off.

Origi starts for Lille

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Mario hatrick tomorrow I can feel it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Hopefully, like the West Brom game Henderson is that bit more advanced and not back sitting deep. His runs in around the box could be very important tomorrow. I'd still prefer if Borini got more time than Lambert. Balotelli and Lambert look terrible together, all too static.

If it was up to me, I'd chance the diamond with Can, Allen and Henderson, Gerrard in the no. 10 role, and Balotelli and Sterling up front.
    Plenty of options off the bench like Lallana and Coutinho if it doesn't work out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

martyos121 wrote: »
    If it was up to me, I'd chance the diamond with Can, Allen and Henderson, Gerrard in the no. 10 role, and Balotelli and Sterling up front.
    Plenty of options off the bench like Lallana and Coutinho if it doesn't work out.

Lallana has to start.

Well if that's the way you see it you're going to be disappointed for as long as FSG are in charge.

They've decided (and I agree with them) that the best way to build sustainably are young talents and maybe quality players that have stalled in their careers who're good value.

This season isn't their only concern.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Lallana has to start.

Instead of Can. He's just back from a serious injury and hasn't started a game for us.

Allen and Hendo is plenty of cover and should easily be able to control QPRs midfield.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Lallana has to start.

And he most likely will, just giving my idea of how we should line up. Personally, I'd prefer to keep Lallana fit and ready for Madrid, he's somewhat of an unknown quantity to them I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Well if that's the way you see it you're going to be disappointed for as long as FSG are in charge.

They've decided (and I agree with them) that the best way to build sustainably are young talents and maybe quality players that have stalled in their careers who're good value.

This season isn't their only concern.

If we were to finish outside the top 4 will you still that is the correct approach?

You talk about sustainability as if we're shopping in the bargain basement, we're not, we're spending MASSIVE money. We just appear to be spending it very poorly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Mr Alan wrote: »
    If we were to finish outside the top 4 will you still that is the correct approach?

You talk about sustainability as if we're shopping in the bargain basement, we're not, we're spending MASSIVE money. We just appear to be spending it very poorly.

The club have to strike a balance between short term and long term.

For the long term - buying players like Can/Markovic/Moreno is probably our best bet. They are close to the best around in terms of their age and their positions.

If we look to buy established players, we have to drop down a tier. In the short term they might be better than the likes of Can or Markovic, but in the long term might not have near the potential ability.

Lovren, Balotelli and Lallana are clearly more for the now. They've been (At best) a mixed bag to date, but you can't accuse the club of not thinking of the now.

We also were in for Sanchez in a big way. He is as close to a star signing as we could have hoped for so that is clearly something the club were looking at. They can't be accused therefore of lacking ambition.

Poor start to the season, but we are only a point off 4th and plenty to look forward to for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Wonder how the press will react to these comments.......

Mourinho said: "After Arsenal he went to national team, he played two big matches against Slovakia and Luxembourg, and he come in conditions where he's not available to play for his club."

Mourinho said he had "no idea" when Costa would next be available, but ruled him out of Tuesday's Champions League clash with Maribor and would not comment on the prospect of a return at Manchester United next Sunday.

Mourinho added: "I think he will be in great condition in mid-November to be back for the national team. That's for sure. Our medical department will take great care of him and mid-November he will be in perfect conditions.

"He will play for me when he has free time from national team."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

And he most likely will, just giving my idea of how we should line up. Personally, I'd prefer to keep Lallana fit and ready for Madrid, he's somewhat of an unknown quantity to them I'd say.

I'd like us to field our strongest side available for the league and treat the CL as a bonus. Imo the league is more important and for now our priority should be just trying to hold onto those CL spots in the top four.

A good run in CL this season will do feck all, If we've not qualified for it next season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I'd like us to field our strongest side available for the league and treat the CL as a bonus. Imo the league is more important and for now our priority should be just trying to hold onto those CL spots in the top four.

A good run in CL this season will do feck all, If we've not qualified for it next season.

Well what's the point in qualifying if were not going to give it our best shot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

$

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

xabi wrote: »
    $

**** that!

I want more nights like against Juve, Chelsea and Milan!

Give it a go to a certain extent but I wouldn't be resting players with a Cl fixture in mind. It will mean a lot more to the club by sustaining ourselves in the CL for a few seasons.

I know winning the CL would also have this effect but somehow, I don't think we could be that lucky. (again)

Charlie19 wrote: »

So what you're saying is, we've spent the last 4 seasons building a team to get back into the Champions League, and now you think we just shouldn't be too arsed about it?
    That's a small club mentality. We should be giving this completion our very best. Big Champions League performances are what attract top players, not grinding out league results against Southampton and West Brom.

So what you're saying is, we've spent the last 4 seasons building a team to get back into the Champions League, and now you think we just shouldn't be too arsed about it?
    That's a small club mentality. We should be giving this completion our very best. Big Champions League performances are what attract top players, not grinding out league results against Southampton and West Brom.

Now I hardly said we shouldn't be arsed.

Yeah 4 seasons was probably the plan for Rodgers and he met that target early which is great but for now I think our squad is a bit young (Rodgers too) and naive for the CL at the moment.

I'll go back to the point I was making..

I'd think the league position should be the priority and I wouldn't be resting players for the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

**** that!

I want more nights like against Juve, Chelsea and Milan!

Be careful what you wish for....!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement