Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Losing Daniel Sturridge for another month is a disaster. We really needed him back. The team is lacking a quality goalscorer at the moment.
    Borini has hardly played, Balotelli has yet to get going and Lambert looks finished. Why was Rodgers not able to bring in a quality striker in the summer ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Never mind getting Origami in at the winter window. Just saw the Saints stuff Sunderland and there's was a player on display there today with a real eye for goal.
    Do you think Sunderland still want Borini? Straight swap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Can't imagine Lucas has travelled tomorrow seeing as he posted on Instagram he is having a pizza night with his family, can and Allen will be involved so of imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Hopefully Gerrard, Allen and Henderson tomorrow. Sterling, Lallana and Balotelli upfront.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Gbear wrote: »
    Well if that's the way you see it you're going to be disappointed for as long as FSG are in charge.

They've decided (and I agree with them) that the best way to build sustainably are young talents and maybe quality players that have stalled in their careers who're good value.

This season isn't their only concern.

I'm all for building for the future. Liverpool don't have the draw or financial clout of teams like Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Bayern, Barca etc. Therefore it makes sense to get tomorrows stars before they get big. Sneak them under the noses of bigger fish if you will.

What I would like however is a slightly more balanced approach. Going only for young talent or players whose careers have stalled is a very risky strategy imo.
    Id like the FSG married witb the odd safer buy, as in the odd proven player. Someone that will instantly improve the first 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

martyos121 wrote: »
    So what you're saying is, we've spent the last 4 seasons building a team to get back into the Champions League, and now you think we just shouldn't be too arsed about it?
    That's a small club mentality. We should be giving this completion our very best. Big Champions League performances are what attract top players, not grinding out league results against Southampton and West Brom.

Big cl nights won't attract top players if you're not in it next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The Football League shows featured game is Reading v Derby so you can get a look at Ibe.

Lille v Whoeveritwas ended in 1-2 defeat Origi didn't score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Hidalgo wrote: »
    I'm all for building for the future. Liverpool don't have the draw or financial clout of teams like Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Bayern, Barca etc. Therefore it makes sense to get tomorrows stars before they get big. Sneak them under the noses of bigger fish if you will.

What I would like however is a slightly more balanced approach. Going only for young talent or players whose careers have stalled is a very risky strategy imo.
    Id like the FSG married witb the odd safer buy, as in the odd proven player. Someone that will instantly improve the first 11.

I hear you and agree to a point but I think Lovren, Moreno, Lallana and Balotelli are all players who fit the general description of established players who can immediately improve the team. Granted, Balotelli was a risk.

Can looks like a great buy, Bayern wanted him back.

Manquillo and Markovic are the only ones I would identify as the signings with 'great potential'.

I actually think it was a good transfer window though obviously I would have preferred a more suitable striker than Balotelli - that really was a panic buy. With him it's obvious the other targets didnt work out and they took the best of the leftovers. Why always him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How do you Pool fans think you'll do on Wednesday night?
    Are you fearing it?
    Or do you think the occasion will lift the team to produce a performance?

I'm backing Real big time. Might even go with a - 1 first half handicap.

They pull Liverpool's pants down and smack our arses till the cheeks are red. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

NIMAN wrote: »
    Are you fearing it?

Gerrard was made for these sort of games, so I'm sure he'll score.
    That would mean 6-1 Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Are you fearing it?

Youd be daft to think it will be anything bar a comfortable Real win really, we are missing Sturridge badly and we concede far too many to be confident.

Youd be daft to think it will be anything bar a comfortable Real win really, we are missing Sturridge badly and we concede far too many to be confident.

The bookies odds suggest a real win is slightly better than a 50/50 chance, a comfortable real win might happen but in betting land its not at all a sure thing :)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'd nearly take a 0-2 defeat now in that game if it was offered, but hopefully whatever happens we give it a good go. It could from anything to a poxy win (unlikely) to a hammering.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

5starpool wrote: »
    I'd nearly take a 0-2 defeat now in that game if it was offered, but hopefully whatever happens we give it a good go. It could from anything to a poxy win (unlikely) to a hammering.

So you'd take a 2-0 defeat now?

Madness. I'd stop following us before I'd accept defeat before a game!

So you'd take a 2-0 defeat now?

Madness. I'd stop following us before I'd accept defeat before a game!

Well no obviously, but there is a little part of me that would be tempted as I really fear a hammering. Football is all about games like these and I'll be as excited and nervous as ever before a big game, but it's been a long time since I've been as fearful about the result of an individual game as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

5starpool wrote: »
    Well no obviously, but there is a little part of me that would be tempted as I really fear a hammering. Football is all about games like these and I'll be as excited and nervous as ever before a big game, but it's been a long time since I've been as fearful about the result of an individual game as well.

Fear a hammering ... QPR, Bottom of the league ... seriously. Delirious. What a completely ridiculous way of thinking. Fearful is a sound of a guy that doesn't have an incling of what football is ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Fear a hammering ... QPR, Bottom of the league ... seriously. Delirious. What a completely ridiculous way of thinking. Fearful is a sound of a guy that doesn't have an incling of what football is ...

I'd suggest he's referring to the Madrid match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Dunno what message you picked up, but you should retune your receiver... he's clearly talking about the Real Madrid game next week... not QPR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Think its ridiculous to be full of fear for Madrid. The players should be excited. Liverpool have every chance at home.

Put away that glass and go to bed. Your post is not befitting of your username.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

The Football League shows featured game is Reading v Derby so you can get a look at Ibe.

Lille v Whoeveritwas ended in 1-2 defeat Origi didn't score.

Hard to tell from highlights but Ibe didn't get much screentime which suggests he didn't offer much of a threat

He did well for his goal though, he seems to be in a good place to learn though with a team that is playing well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Think its ridiculous to be full of fear for Madrid. The players should be excited. Liverpool have every chance at home.

Playing the way they did last year, nothing to fear. This year we have shown nothing to make me believe we can get a result against RM.

Firstly,we need to get a result against QPR. But not a big victory, just a scrappy one. We win big against QPR, fans get expectant, and that might cause the team to not focus as much as they could against RM.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

We need to play someone up beside Balotelli. He wants to play off someone.

1 up top doesn't work for us now.

EDIT: Obviously I mean Raheem up beside Ballo

We need to play someone up beside Balotelli. He wants to play off someone.

1 up top doesn't work for us now.

EDIT: Obviously I mean Raheem up beside Ballo

One up top is the order of the day this season. It's working well so far though so it's only right to keep persisting..

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    One up top is the order of the day this season. It's working well so far though so it's only right to keep persisting..

Sorry rarnes but I have to disagree. I feel we'd be better off with two up top. Mario would prefer someone to work off . He gets too isolated on his own. With someone else up there he can drop off a bit an shoot with a bit less pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I'd wager rarnes has been on the sauce tonight

Sorry rarnes but I have to disagree. I feel we'd be better off with two up top. Mario would prefer someone to work off . He gets too isolated on his own. With someone else up there he can drop off a bit an shoot with a bit less pressure.

kw4ec5aea4.jpg

kw4ec5aea4.jpg

ah ha. my alchohol intake has inhibited my sarcasm detector..:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I dont suppose Ross Barkley is a Liverpool fan?

• Advertisement

Liverpools hopes will be based on Ballo deciding to turn up for this type of big game, and perhaps Sterling's pace scaring Madrid's backline.

Outside of those 2, can't see many other Pool players figuring in the tie. Including Gerrard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Liverpools hopes will be based on Ballo deciding to turn up for this type of big game, and perhaps Sterling's pace scaring Madrid's backline.

Outside of those 2, can't see many other Pool players figuring in the tie. Including Gerrard.

Henderson is key. If Madrid play all 4 (Bale,James,Benezema, Chrsitiano) attacking players they can be got at.

Benzema out injured, did not play today. Not sure if he will be available midweek.

Bale rested today, saving himself for Pool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I think the club put all its eggs in one basket by making Sturridge the number one striker after Suarez left.
    Decision consciously made not to bring in a bigger player than him.

Lambert, to me was obviously signed as a squad player to start League Cup games and the first few rounds of the FA Cup and to come on late in games already won to give Sturridge a rest.
    The criticism towards him is a little unfair.

Borini screwed up the transfer merry go round that would have happened if we got the 14 million for him. Rodgers stuck with a player he wants rid of and now in a position of needing him.
    In fairness to Borini, why would he move to a smaller club on less money?

Balotelli: Rodgers said in the States that he would not be a LFC player. Either he was trying to be clever or someone at the club made the decision to buy Balotelli.
    Either way he's here now and is the best fit striker we have so Rodgers should be playing to his strengths instead of making him fit a system.
    He changed the system to accommodate Sturridge and Suarez together. He now needs to change the system to fit Balotelli.
    That change could be playing Sterling up front with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭dogbert27

If we end up losing today to a Bobby Zamora goal I'll eat my hat!

homer-nacho-hat.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Lovren was that 'safer' buy that would instantly improve the first 11.

Now, he may well turn out to be that player but, atm, our formation or the way it is being set-up is making good defenders look poor.

It's a good job our rivals for top 4 have been just as rubbish tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Are you fearing it?

I wouldn't rule out a Liverpool win. It's not such a big game for real as it is for liverpool they know they will qualify and I wouldn't be surprised to see them rest a few players. Real play barca next sat night a much bigger game for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

I'd wouldn't be too hopeful going to the Bernabau but we could sneak a point at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

B0RJcp8CUAAD7mn.jpg

Id expect Sterling to be getting 50-60 goals a season in a few years:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Lovren was that 'safer' buy that would instantly improve the first 11.

Now, he may well turn out to be that player but, atm, our formation or the way it is being set-up is making good defenders look poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

If you dropped Sterling in a Real or Barca team he would be absolutely lethal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

If you dropped Sterling in a Real or Barca team he would be absolutely lethal.
    Needs to improve his shooting & finishing though. But im sure he will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

It's a good job our rivals for top 4 have been just as rubbish tbh.

This is an important point. To have played as badly as we have for 2 months of the season and still be 3pts off 4th with a game in hand is actually a huge positive. Looking at the other teams I reckon if we start playing better and conceding less we'll be thereabouts after Christmas and down the stretch which is what you want.

Still early days and if this was our bad patch for the season so be it. Good result today will get us back on track and some decent fixtures coming up over the next 6 weeks.

Benzema out injured, did not play today. Not sure if he will be available midweek.

Bale rested today, saving himself for Pool.

and they still put 5 past whoeveritwas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

8-10 wrote: »
    This is an important point. To have played as badly as we have for 2 months of the season and still be 3pts off 4th with a game in hand is actually a huge positive.

It's a positive if there's any sign of us actually putting together some form & learning from our mistakes. Which at this point, we're not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Mr Alan wrote: »
    It's a positive if there's any sign of us actually putting together some form & learning from our mistakes. Which at this point, we're not.

Agreed, we need to use today as a springboard to push on. QPR are a bad side that a top 4 contender should easily beat. Comfortable win today sets us up for a good run of league fixtures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

8-10 wrote: »
    Agreed, we need to use today as a springboard to push on. QPR are a bad side that a top 4 contender should easily beat. Comfortable win today sets us up for a good run of league fixtures

Yup.. These clashes between sides at the opposite end of the table are always a banker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Yup.. These clashes between sides at the opposite end of the table are always a banker.

Good to see potential excuses being rolled out already :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

T-K-O wrote: »
    I dont suppose Ross Barkley is a Liverpool fan?

Read somewhere way back that he is/was!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement