Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Jaysus, 2 OGs and a wild Coutinho shot that took a deflection. Lucky, lucky, lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I genuinely wound write Balotelli off after that, drop him, sell him at Christmas.

Liverpool haven't always had the most talented players in the works in recent years, but a minimum requirement should be that you give 100% on the pitch.

He's walking around, have on hips, completely disinterested, never seen anything like in a Liverpool jersey, **** that get rid of him

Disgusted with him after that sh1te.
    Maybe we could swap him and a few million for Zamora. At least he tries.

Fcuking disgusted with Balotelli. He is a disgrace. Worst player i have ever seen at the club. We would be better starting with 10 men than having him starting.

Strong sentiment but a professional footballer not playing well can at least move his ar$e around and help his team.

Shocking display.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Today was like my sex life, little penetration but there was the odd unexpected climax.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

A lot of people seem surprised by MB and the way he carries on. This is what he's been doing for years.

I suppose a lot of people were hoping his attitude would change but on what we've seen of him so far, it appears it hasn't and probably wont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,672 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Really think we camnot underestimate the suaraz effect being gone
    He gave us what torres in his prime did ,
    Threat ,
    keeps their defenders back from joining attacks and space for us to play out
    Cannot wait for sturrige to be back and cant fathom why borini didnt even make the bench !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Is there anything to be said for buying more Southampton players??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

cjmc wrote: »
    Really think we camnot underestimate the suaraz effect being gone
    He gave us what torres in his prime did ,
    Threat ,
    keeps their defenders back from joining attacks and space for us to play out
    Cannot wait for sturrige to be back and cant fathom why borini didnt even make the bench !

Sorry but losing Suarez should not turn a team that almost won the league into a team lacking confidence with n defending abilities.

Certainly should impact our attacking abilities.

Makes me think that defence had more confidence last season as despite their cock-ups Suarez would get the goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

murpho999 wrote: »
    Obvously Suarez leaving has a massive impact on the team but:

Why can't we defend any more? Haven't defended since Clark left

Where is our rhythm gone?

We don't we close down any more?

Why can't they defend set pieces? See point one

What happened to closing the opposition down and regaining possession (wasn't it spoken about last year of regaining possession within 10 seconds).
    Good question, the Barca thing about winning the ball back in 6/7 seconds has been forgotten

Why do our defenders keep clearing a ball by giving the ball straight back in front of the box? See point one

Where is our fast counter attack and attacking as one unit? Gone with Suarez and Sturridge - Balo is utterly unsuited to fast transitions plus playing Gerrard and Hendo deep as a pair (which has been the most typical MF pairing so far this season) kills much chance of such quick movement

I'm sure people will ask more but all of the above are not affected by Suarez leaving or new personnel joining so something is fundamentally wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Hard to enjoy the win after that performance,2 og's & a deflection,we can't even score without the oppositions help.Bale & the lads must be bricking it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Only a defence like ours could make QPR look a threat. Before today QPR had scored 4 goals. 4 ****ing goals. Up against us they bag 2 and we'd have had no complaints if we conceded more. We've already conceded 12 goals this season and it does not look like any problems are being addressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Tomorrow is going to be fun.

Even though we won I'm feeling a massive meltdown coming up

delw wrote: »
    Hard to enjoy the win after that performance,2 og's & a deflection,we can't even score without the oppositions help.Bale & the lads must be bricking it

Hard to enjoy the win?

Jeez, hope I never get to that point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Really hope Sahko gets back into the team, he at least can win a f*cking header. Zamora has always been a threat around the flanks but I've never seen him win so many headers and hold the ball up so much. He made Lovren and Skrtel look like children holding them off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Lad looks frightened in front of goal which is a worry

Richard Dunne has now scored more goals (1) for Liverpool in the Premier League this season than Mario Balotelli (0).

Mario Balotelli's last 20 Premier League appearances: 39 shots 1 goal 0 assists 2.6% chance conversion rate.

zerks wrote: »
    Richard Dunne has now scored more goals (1) for Liverpool in the Premier League this season than Mario Balotelli (0).

Mario Balotelli's last 20 Premier League appearances: 39 shots 1 goal 0 assists 2.6% chance conversion rate.

And still level on points with 4th

Small victories I guess :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I maybe wrong about the next bit.

If I remember right Brendan Rodgers said after the Chelsea game at the end of last season that it was easy to defend like Chelsea.

Well really wish he would teach/coach his defenders how to defend like that now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Is Balotelli the new Voronin? :(

There was a break from Liverpool with Sterling on the ball. I begged him not to pass to Mario but he did. My fears were soon realised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

The advertisers must be happy, now everyone will be watching Wednesday night, we're in the money! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

rarnes1 wrote: »
    And still level on points with 4th

Small victories I guess :)

Wasn't taking the piss with that post,10 og's for Dunne now.When you are playing against a team like QPR a victory is almost inevitable.
    2 comedy caper defences today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

The sooner we move on from Suarez the better, sick of hearing about him at this stage.

Unless he has drastic up turn in form, the balotelli gamble will have failed and someone needs to be got in Jan to rectify the situation.

We were very lucky today but I can't say I'm not happy with the result, thought sterling was by far the best player on the pitch if he keeps it up barca and RM really will come calling. Courtino when he came on was also very good.

Gerard seems to be only effective in the deeper role now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

I genuinely wound write Balotelli off after that, drop him, sell him at Christmas.

Liverpool haven't always had the most talented players in the works in recent years, but a minimum requirement should be that you give 100% on the pitch.

He's walking around, have on hips, completely disinterested, never seen anything like in a Liverpool jersey, **** that get rid of him

Disgusted with him after that sh1te.
    Djibril Cisse was a bit like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Walked outa the room when it went 2-2 ..screaming blue murder.. never seen somone just simply not try his bollix off when he knows he's letting a team down.

Herself shouted the result whilst i was pacing the kitchen in rage.. id rather be carried off every game from exhaustion than to display that kind of 'im not that botherd really' attitude that maro ballotelli has shown today..and total and utter selfishness he did show when presented with any sight of goal.

Ive been a fan for 30 years and never have i been willing to cut losses on a player than i have today.. its affecting the whole team,you can see it.
    10 players and fckin mario... take the loss and get rid in january..borini may not be as talented but he would try his bollixx off at least...

Ballotelli is poison at lfc...

Also... defensive headers... we are terrible at them..every other team knows it...expect more games like this..we wont be that lucky all the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭Kharrell

5live wrote: »
    Balotelli.

With Balotelli, it was very much a risk assessed signing. Value was worth the risk given the perceived lack of options

Lovern was meant to be real deal for you guys by all accounts. You can just glance around Europe for far better value this past summer. I'm surprised with how bad he's been, but I am somewhat surprised Liverpool forked over that much for him given his track record. I forget what his name was on the Guardian Football Weekly podcast last month, but the French league journalist on it commented that Lovern was never impressive for Lyon when he did manage to stay fit. Of course the style of football isn't helping, whatever you wish to call today's style of football, but he looks out of his depth with the most basic of mistakes so far.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Balotelli was bad today, no doubt, but he wasn't the main problem today, much like he hasn't been the biggest problem for the last couple of years of awful defending, no matter who the personnel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

5starpool wrote: »
    Balotelli was bad today, no doubt, but he wasn't the main problem today, much like he hasn't been the biggest problem for the last couple of years of awful defending, no matter who the personnel.

At this point the defending can only be put down to Rodgers & his coaches. No one else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Mario needs to be dropped. On his head.

What we have seen so far from Balotelli is not surprising, apart from missing a sitter. If he had 2/3 pl goals it'd be more tolerable, I expect the goals to come.

3 points today, much better than 2 or 3 dropped :)

Looking forward to the game midweek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Lovren is a good defender imo & was very good last season. So is Sakho who is superb for France. There is a major problem with our defensive system at set pieces & the fact both our full backs always bomb on even at our own goal kick's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Gerard seems to be only effective in the deeper role now?

It was entirely predictable that he'd be of no value playing higher up the field from the start in my mind. He can't be switched on and off like a light, stick him anywhere - not now. Its also why he the biggest issue at the club (apart from all the other ones) - because everyone feels he must be played regardless of where or why, its a reasonless crazy longing. Its also why I doubt he'd be that much better as a super sub (not that he'd accept the role anway), if your goose is cooked its cooked. Still Gerrard as I alluded is only one of the many pressing matters that the manager to get to grips with along with formations and coaching of basic defending tactics like being able to clearly and powerfully head the bloody ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I actually didnt think Mario was that bad today, he wasnt given much to work with tbh.

The defending was atrocious, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Mr Alan wrote: »
    At this point the defending can only be put down to Rodgers & his coaches. No one else.

Well... maybe the players too :P

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Rega

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I actually didnt think Mario was that bad today, he wasnt given much to work with tbh.

The defending was atrocious, mind.

Really? The sitter he put over the bar. The near post flick wide from six feet out. Getting dominated by Richard Dunne. Pretty poor imo.

Agree with the defending being awful though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Rega wrote: »
    Really? The sitter he put over the bar. The near post flick wide from six feet out. Getting dominated by Richard Dunne. Pretty poor imo.

And turning he's back and walking away for a free kick,in the lead up to one of our goals.

Tbh, the sitter doesn't even bother me. Seen better strikers than him doing that. He's just not good enough, attitude is poor. He makes poor decisions and can't be bothered a lot of the time. Hate seeing him line up for us :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

He had some good movement about him, That sitter should have been put away though.

Not to say he had a great game, I dont think he is a total write off though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I could get over Balotellis finishing if he even tried to help the team.

If you were to give someone the responsibility to sign a striker, who would they sign on todays performance?

Now expand the games to all this seasons games?

Zamora, without a doubt.

That is a stunning indictment on Balotelli and his displays.

Time to bite the bullet and re-sign John Toshack. In his mid-70s, he offers more goal threat and will defend from the front.

Every ball he got in and around the box he shot. Selfish display from him all day. Rodgers has to have the balls to drop him for Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Every ball he got in and around the box he shot. Selfish display from him all day. Rodgers has to have the balls to drop him for Wednesday.
    He was poor,lacking in confidence & being selfish as he his desperate for a goal. But i would still start him Wednesday as he has performed at that level & is capable of giving Real some problems. Lambert would be way out of his depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

MD1990 wrote: »
    Lovren is a good defender imo & was very good last season. So is Sakho who is superb for France. There is a major problem with our defensive system at set pieces & the fact both our full backs always bomb on even at our own goal kick's.

Lovren has carried over his World Cup form rather than his Southampton form from last season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Joint 4th with more points than Arsenal, Spurs, Everton and United (who have game in hand) having played absolutely muck to date.

Our year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Nerdlingr wrote: »

Hold on , he is a striker and he's supposed to be selfish. He's also probably getting a bit anxious at this stage.

Ballotelli is a worry at this stage but he seems to becoming the scapegoat for many.

He is not responsible for poor closing down, attacking play and woeful defending.

I don't believe that this perceived 'lazy' mindset is permeating through the team and there is something else going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,672 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Sorry but losing Suarez should not turn a team that almost won the league into a team lacking confidence with n defending abilities.

Certainly should impact our attacking abilities.

Makes me think that defence had more confidence last season as despite their cock-ups Suarez would get the goals.

I totally agree it shouldnt
    The point im trying to make is that opposing teams are more likely to attack in greater numbers tand purpose than last year without fear of our deadly fast breaks if they lose the ball
    Allied to our really shaky defence this is paying dividends for them to get bodies in the box
    How many times did balo fall on his arse for no reason ?

Hold on , he is a striker and he's supposed to be selfish. He's also probably getting a bit anxious at this stage.

Ballotelli is a worry at this stage but he seems to becoming the scapegoat for many.

He is not responsible for poor closing down, attacking play and woeful defending.

I don't believe that this perceived 'lazy' mindset is permeating through the team and there is something else going on.

Since when is it a pre-requisite for strikers to be selfish? He totally ignored his team mates today. Sterling and henderson were throwing their arms up in the air in the first half after another one of his miserable efforts dribbled wide. He's a scapegoat because everyone knows he's in the last chance saloon and yet he still doesn't seem to give a sh*t. Nonchalant with an open goal. Shrugging his shoulders. Mumbling to himself. Don't get me wrong this isn't a surprise. This is Mario balotelli. Somewhere buried deep down in there is a decent footballer but no-one has been able to tease it out of him. He should be fighting for his career but he comes across as not bothered. He needs to do the simple things first. Then worry about scoring goals.

13 points after 8 games (having played well for perhaps two games) and Hull at Anfield on Saturday, from a glass half full perspective it ain't too bad.

We need to get goals early though, tempo needs to be high from the off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Mario needs to be dropped. Bring in Borini or Lambert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

So far what I seen from balotelli is really shocking. He is so lazy its not even funny.

The sitter was annoying but what even worse was the shots outside the target, he did not even bother trying to beat defenders he simply got the ball and wacked it wide , no effort just a fcuk it I am thumping it.

He had few decent crosses in the box but just stayed either out wide and did not bother to run in the middle or just stayed still and expected it to go to his feet.

So far he has not a hope working well with sturridge and we are looking dire if we found it that difficult to beat Qpr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

is the anything to be said for having sterling as the main striker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Did you watch him in the lead upto the first og? He was wandering about with his back to the ball.

The shot he had where he just smacked it at the defender. There were things he could have done with that but the lazy option was to just swing a leg at it. He took that option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Seems to be a general confidence or focus issue. Suarez is a red herring, until we get beyond Gerrard as an automatic pick we are not going to resolve the problem at the centre of the pitch. Is BR "big" enough to address this?

Balotelli wont offer anything in a struggling side.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement