Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Dickerty wrote: »
    Herrera is the only one of those that looks measured.
    Shaw is very good, but was overpriced and there were better options in the market (like Blind??)
    Blind has the Dutch edge, and had a good WC, but he's an odd choice if he's to play Def CM - again, better options out there.
    And Rojo ccould come good, but he's not a top class defender, and will take some setting in...

Now you could say the same about Moreno, Can and Lallana, but we only overpaid on the latter, and we don't have as many holes in the boat...

a little off topic, but does anyone know if there is a football weekly out today or will they wait till tomorrow due to deadline day...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Shaw is very good, but was overpriced and there were better options in the market (like Blind??)
    Blind has the Dutch edge, and had a good WC, but he's an odd choice if he's to play Def CM - again, better options out there.
    And Rojo could come good, but he's not a top class defender, and will take some settling in...

Now you could say the same about Moreno, Can and Lallana, but we only overpaid on the latter, and we don't have as many holes in the boat...

Now all ye need is a captain that's actually docked a boat before;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

8-10 wrote: »
    Shaw is better than Blind IMO

Yes, but I think that if LVG was in place earlier, they would have have only bought Blind for LB, that's clearly his player.

But as with us signing Lorven for £20M, it doesn't matter what you pay if it improves you enough...

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Assaidi looks to be going onloan to Stoke. We are getting a small fee upfront and they are paying all his wages apparently.

So we lose out on a good fee cause he wouldn't agree a contract. Git.
    (Although I guess a £1M loan fee and wages off the books is ok...)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

And Rojo could come good, but he's not a top class defender, and will take some settling in...

Blind has played defensive midfielder for the past 2 seasons. He played elsewhere at the World Cup which appears to be the extent of your knowledge about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

a little off topic, but does anyone know if there is a football weekly out today or will they wait till tomorrow due to deadline day...

It's out now.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

So we lose out on a good fee cause he wouldn't agree a contract. Git.
    (Although I guess a £1M loan fee and wages off the books is ok...)

I'd say we pretty much had to get rid of him otherwise he'd be just a number at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Has Reus been given the tour of the old Brookside set yet? That **** will really get him fired up for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Robson99 wrote: »
    Blind, Rojo, Shaw, Herrera. Look them up sometime

Well you can't have all the Rolls Royces everywhere!

I suppose my point was they have signed the superstars all in the attacking area of the pitch, but they are going to need those players you mentioned to bed in quickly enough, because having Mata, Di Maria, Rooney and RVP on the pitch still leaves major deficiencies in the team (albeit with loads of injuries and new signings not played yet).

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Blind has played defensive midfielder for the past 2 seasons. He played elsewhere at the World Cup which appears to be the extent of your knowledge about him.

WRONG.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/daley-blind/leistungsdaten/spieler/12282/saison/2012

He played all of 2012/13 at LB, and a third of last season as well.

Want to try that again??

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

can we not talk about Man Utd signings? Do we really care that much? Your answer should be 'no'. If it isn't no, have a think why that is.

any news about US today? I haven't seen much on the news websites and I don't look up football on twitter due to my firm belief that it can cause cancer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

BMJD wrote: »
    Has Reus been given the tour of the old Brookside set yet? That **** will really get him fired up for the rest of the season.

He's just bringing Cracker on a walk with Jimmy Corkhill. He'll be in melwood before 12. Gonna grab a pizza off mick and sinbad to share with zaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Some Sunderland fans on twitter ain't too happy about Borini choosing London over the NorthEast.

Giving serious ( bad taste ) abuse to his misses

BMMachine wrote: »
    can we not talk about Man Utd signings? Do we really care that much? Your answer should be 'no'. If it isn't no, have a think why that is.

any news about US today? I haven't seen much on the news websites and I don't look up football on twitter due to my firm belief that it can cause cancer

Talk about our rivals strengthening is always valid, to a point.

For us - Coates and Assaidi out on loan, Borini looks to be going to QPR for about £12M, and possibly interested in Valdes, but not until he's 100% fit (is a free agent, so can be signed in a few weeks...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Peist2007 wrote: »

Not true, LB mostly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Purslow on Sky.

how wonderful is life at the club without him around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Some Sunderland fans on twitter ain't too happy about Borini choosing London over the NorthEast.

Giving serious ( bad taste ) abuse to his misses

QPR is a poor move, really rate Poyet and in Poyet he has a manager who wants him and believes in him. He's an idiot if he doesn't value that over his MRS shopping destination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

rob316 wrote: »
    QPR is a poor move, really rate Poyet and in Poyet he has a manager who wants him and believes in him. He's an idiot if he doesn't value that over his MRS shopping destination.

Don't agree at all. How many here would move to the likes of Offaly over Dublin or Cork for the sake of working with a better manager, when there's similar money on the table?

I appreciate the world of football is different to the real world, but the man and his family still have a life to live, and his few months in the North East was probably enough for him to know that it wasn't where he wanted to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

K-9 wrote: »
    :D

Oliver Kay tweeted a piece he wrote back in May about United wanting superstar players.

Didn't get Kroos or Vidal so signed all the attackers instead! Intriguing times to see if it works or another Galactico fiasco.

Funny that was exactly my thoughts on the Falcao loan - don't really need him but keeps the fans happy with another marquee signing if Vidal isn't coming (though he may yet obviously)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Looks like Assaidi going back to Stoke on loan with a 1M fee. Sounds like his wage demands scuppered a permanent deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Looks like Assaidi going back to Stoke on loan with a 1M fee. Sounds like his wage demands scuppered a permanent deal.

Am I the only one who really liked the look of Assiadi last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Anything happening with Suso?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

ja riise signs for apoel

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

On the subject of podcasts, any of you any recommendations to add to my list?

I currently listen to
    TAW.
    Guardian football weekly.
    Newstalk off the ball football show.
    Second captains and a few bits and Bob's from 5 live.

I currently listen to
    TAW.
    Second captains.

I listen to the Times as well as the above.

Marcotti can be a pain but they do have some good journos on it.

• Advertisement

Can someone explain to me how Utd can have the debt they have, spend over £200M in a year and not fall foul of FFP?

EDIT: I know FFP may be a lame duck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Can someone explain to me how Utd can have the debt they have, spend over £200M in a year and not fall foul of FFP?

New commercial deals probably.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

They have massive revenues, the debt interest is being paid so the actual amount is irrelevant.

I currently listen to
    TAW.

Would recommend the football ramble, up there with Football Weekly IMO.

Can't stand TAW

United could probably spend £300m a year on players without falling foul of FFP, such is their revenue.

They're over the worst of it with regard to repaying the debt, so going forward they'll be right up there with Barca & Real in terms of expenditure. We just have to get used to it

• Advertisement

I'm not exactly cribbing. Just surprised

If I was a United fan, I wouldn't care.

I'd rather overpay for players, then overpay on servicing Glazier's debt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

LiamoSail wrote: »
    If I was a United fan, I wouldn't care.

I'd rather overpay for players, then overpay on servicing Glazier's debt

So if they overspend on players they don't have to service the debt? Tell me more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

3 strikers that will probably rarely be on the pitch all at once.

Makes no sense to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Arsed with uniteds dealings tbh, arsenal not buying anybody is massive really i cant believe it.

jenno86 wrote: »
    So if they overspend on players they don't have to service the debt? Tell me more!

The debt has been more or less repaid. There's still a debt to service, but their level of debt is minimal relative to their revenue, hence they've a lot more to spend on players/wages etc then in previous years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

All this talk of United's debt...

c63ee656008e4a9c1d37e158259aa9a9.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

ardinn wrote: »
    Am I the only one who really liked the look of Assiadi last year?

I'm afraid so, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

klose wrote: »
    Arsed with uniteds dealings tbh, arsenal not buying anybody is massive really i cant believe it.

Welbeck is being signed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I find some of Rodger's transfer market activity questionable.Twenty million for
    Lovren is simply staggering.Ponderous,hesitant,slow on the turn,a slightly upmarket version of Sotirios Kyrgiakos.There must be better
    alternatives to the likes of Can and Markovic and as for Lambert well,why?
    At this level of the game it really is down
    to good judgement of players which determines whether a manager succeeds
    or ultimately fails so recent developments
    at Anfield,in that regard,are not encouraging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

chicorytip wrote: »
    I find some of Rodger's transfer market activity questionable.Twenty million for
    Lovren is simply staggering.Ponderous,hesitant,slow on the turn,a slightly upmarket version of Sotirios Kyrgiakos.There must be better

Must try harder.

An interesting insight thank you for sharing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Coates officially gone on loan to Sunderland.

BwduF85IAAAZbYh.jpg:large

great deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

SlickRic wrote: »

great deal.

Very happy with this, looked good in all of his chances but not good enough to break in. If he get's the games next to O'Shea it'd be very good for us in the future, still only 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

SlickRic wrote: »

great deal.

I like this.

Hopefully he''ll get a proper run if games and we can see what he's made of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

I currently listen to
    TAW.

I would recommend The world Football phone in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

I like this.

Hopefully he''ll get a proper run if games and we can see what he's made of.

Hopefully he'll do as well as Borini did there last year , maybe at the end of it all he can reject the chance to join Sunderland just like Fabio.

2479220-1578648373-gw-cl.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Would recommend the football ramble, up there with Football Weekly IMO.

Can't stand TAW

I think TAW is a load of garbage as well . I find after listening to Football weekly , Off the Ball & Second Captains a lot of the same stuff comes up and I've had my fill after those 3 that the last thing I want to listen to is more chat on football . Time to break out the comedy/Joe Rogan podcasts at that stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement