Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

klose wrote: »
    Is rather not watch the game on setanta anyways, awful quality.

Yea cos streams will be much better...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

It's like watching it through the bottom of jam jars.

Full of jam of course when watching us this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

mosstin wrote: »
    Full of jam of course when watching us this season.

Pretty jammy win yesterday alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Berahinho really puts our striking options to shame right now - when you consider if Ballotelli was sighed for around 16 mill and Borini was supposed to sign for Sunderland for 13ish ... the guys work rate alone is a credit to him and he finishes the 1-2 chances a game which is all the more impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Berahinho really puts out striking options to shame right now - when you consider if Ballotelli was sighed for around 16 mill and Borini was supposed to sign for Sunderland for 13ish ... the guys work rate alone is a credit to him and he finishes the 1-2 chances a game which is all the more impressive.

This seasons Ricky Lambert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Super-Rush wrote: »

He's 21 so that's a bit of ridiculous comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

He's 21 so that's a bit of ridiculous comparison.

And sure we'll bring him in next summer alongside Tadic. It's all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Im not sure what you mean by that, but i would rather have berahino in my squad, thats for sure. I think he has a big future ahead of him, and i think hed suit liverpools attack very well. Hes got great pace, works very hard, makes a lot of runsand can finish well with both feet. I dont think hes a flash in the pan, hes got it all as rodgers would say and hes getting better all the time

MR NINE wrote: »
    Im not sure what you mean by that, but i would rather have berahino in my squad, thats for sure. I think he has a big future ahead of him, and i think hed suit liverpools attack very well. Hes got great pace, works very hard, makes a lot of runsand can finish well with both feet. I dont think hes a flash in the pan, hes got it all as rodgers would say and hes getting better all the time

Better option than Loic Remy you might say :D ... its just that we BADLY Need someone like that right now.

So seriously ... do we really persist with Ballotelli right now or is it time for Brendan to be bold and try something different with Lambert or Borini?

... would love to see Berahinho in our squad right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Berahino reminds me a bit of Sturridge actually. Very calm and composed when finishing a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Borini deserves a start at Liverpool.

I have been one of his harshest critics the entire time he has been at the club but Rodgers needs to swallow some pride at this point.

As much as i think he has no long term future at the level we need, he could be a real surprise for a Real defence on Wed. We will need hard work as much as anything else in that game.

When i consider my words above i really have to ask WTF the club have been at the last 18 months knowing full well Suarez would be going. We should have had a massive portfolio of options. I dont believe for 1 second he (Balo) is the best we could have got. I do believe we wanted to use most of Suarez wages on others who werent strikers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

MR NINE wrote: »

What I mean is that I want us to sign someone who has shown he can deal with the pressure of playing for a big team. I'm tired of signing the big fish in the small pond or the guy who might do it over a period of time or the player who has a bright future.

daithijjj wrote: »
    Borini deserves a start at Liverpool.

I have been one of his harshest critics the entire time he has been at the club but Rodgers needs to swallow some pride at this point.

As much as i think he has no long term future at the level we need, he could be a real surprise for a Real defence on Wed. We will need hard work as much as anything else in that game.

When i consider my words above i really have to ask WTF the club have been at the last 18 months knowing full well Suarez would be going. We should have had a massive portfolio of options. I dont believe for 1 second he (Balo) is the best we could have got. I do believe we wanted to use most of Suarez wages on others who werent strikers.

Seriously, couldn't be worse than what we have seen in last 4-5 games by starting Borini. I'd imagine the least you'd get would be 100% effort.

Didn't Rodgers say that Mario wasn't even 5th choice but was last of the high profile players to go for.

.... obviously heightened by Sturridges absence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

What a week for the doss that was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

rarnes1 wrote: »

That turn at 0:44..... my god :eek:

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

What I mean is that I want us to sign someone who has shown he can deal with the pressure of playing for a big team. I'm tired of signing the big fish in the small pond or the guy who might do it over a period of time or the player who has a bright future.

Id also rather we occasionally sign some of these pacy players who are cheap and good rather than ones who turn out to have forgotten to play football when the sign for us, or who we sign for 3x the price they were available a season earlier and then forget how to play football when we sign them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Dossena!

What a team that was, we really threw away the league that season. Gerrard was outstanding.

Seriously, couldn't be worse than what we have seen in last 4-5 games by starting Borini. I'd imagine the least you'd get would be 100% effort.

Didn't Rodgers say that Mario wasn't even 5th choice but was last of the high profile players to go for.

.... obviously heightened by Sturridges absence

Obviously Sturridge is a massive loss for goals but at least you'd have his work rate covered by Borini. Balotelli does the minimum you have to do in every facet of play.

• Advertisement

Thats fair enough, but it doesnt appear to be liverpools strategy. Berahino reminds me of sturridge, i think he has that arrogance and self confidence to succeed at a bigger club. Impossible to know now but i think he'll make it, hes a really clinical finisher, and seems a very determined, ice cool player.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Torres was incredible back then
    That turn was class
    Pity the way it ended

Borini should absolutely get a start. Especially if we are playing one up front, he is most suited to the task. I dont understand how he isnt even making the bench. Lambert is quite similar to balotelli except with more effort and less quality. Neither are capable of playing as a lone striker and i cant imagine theyd form a good partnership up front. Borini can also play out wide if needs be and will certainly put in a shift, which might help us gain solidity by defending from the front.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

If the club actually had it's **** together this season we could be in a really good position in the league right now. Everybody seems to be suffering the same blips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Bring back Rafa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

I think Borini need to be given the same game time Ballotelli is getting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

daithijjj wrote: »

This has been Rodger's biggest mistake since he came to Liverpool. The club knew Suarez was off months in advance. Replacing him with the best player possible should have been the summer's number one priority. Money was no object, and the club had just finished second playing great football and were in the Champions League, so big names would have surely been interested. People were only really happy with Balotelli because there was a fear that we wouldn't get in anyone of quality. If you had have raised his name at the start of the window, most would not have been happy with him at all.

Suarez was not just our most talented player, he was also our most consistent. And we replaced him with a notoriously inconsistent player. It's a terrible mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Jesus that music is fair depressing.

Tusky wrote: »
    This has been Rodger's biggest mistake since he came to Liverpool. The club knew Suarez was off months in advance. Replacing him with the best player possible should have been the summer's number one priority. Money was no object, and the club had just finished second playing great football and were in the Champions League, so big names would have surely been interested. People were only really happy with Balotelli because there was a fear that we wouldn't get in anyone of quality. If you had have raised his name at the start of the window, most would not have been happy with him at all.

Suarez was not just our most talented player, he was also our most consistent. And we replaced him with a notoriously inconsistent player. It's a terrible mistake.

It seems to be down to the wage structure, the striker replacements we went for i mean. Simply wont offer the wages unless the player performs in 'our' shirt. Makes you have to unearth gems constantly to keep your level. Not sustainable imo.

I simply dont believe a Newcastle striker was the first one to accept an approach, thats not to disrespect Newcastle or Remy. Its screams our wages offered for a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Luap wrote: »
    I think Borini need to be given the same game time Ballotelli is getting.

II reckon if he deserved a chance br would have given him one, we don't see what's going on during the week in training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Berahinho really puts our striking options to shame right now - when you consider if Ballotelli was sighed for around 16 mill and Borini was supposed to sign for Sunderland for 13ish ... the guys work rate alone is a credit to him and he finishes the 1-2 chances a game which is all the more impressive.
    He would have been a shot in the dark signing in the summer - his goal stats were poor 5 goals in league 32 appearances last season. He's having a purple patch at the moment while we're missing Sturridge.

Danny Welbeck was available for £16M should we have signed him? He has scored 6 goals this season including a hat-trick in the Champions League. As I recall the general consensus during the summer was that he's a sh!t player and should never be considered as a possible signing, yet to date he has scored 5 more goals than Lambert and Balotelli combined.

Liverpool's problem stems from the fact that too many players are being integrated at the same time. If the defence and midfield were settled then integrating Balotelli would be a lot easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Talisman wrote: »
    He would have been a shot in the dark signing in the summer - his goal stats were poor 5 goals in league 32 appearances last season. He's having a purple patch at the moment while we're missing Sturridge.

Danny Welbeck was available for £16M should we have signed him? He has signed 6 goals this season including a hat-trick in the Champions League. As I recall the general consensus during the summer was that he's a sh!t player and should never be considered as a possible signing, yet to date he has scored 5 more goals than Lambert and Balotelli combined.

Liverpool's problem stems from the fact that too many players are being integrated at the same time. If the defence and midfield were settled then integrating Balotelli would be a lot easier.

It would have never happened. Liverpool and united have never done any direct transfer bussiness and i cant see that changing.
    But i would love to know what really killed the remy deal and how he was able to pass a chelsea medical. What ever it was surely it would not have been as big a risk as signing balotelli!

niallo27 wrote: »

Lol yeah doesn't really match the action

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

It would have never happened. Liverpool and united have never done any direct transfer bussiness and i cant see that changing.
    But i would love to know what really killed the remy deal and how he was able to pass a chelsea medical. What ever it was surely it would not have been as big a risk as signing balotelli!
    Didn't Remy come out and say it was to do with his heart condition? (Liverpool were not happy with the initial expert evaluation or something along those lines)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

niallo27 wrote: »

It's almost like the video was made a few days ago, and the music is saying 'look how well we used to play'... :(

J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Love this one.

Is there a way to embed vines?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Connavar wrote: »
    Didn't Remy come out and say it was to do with his heart condition? (Liverpool were not happy with the initial expert evaluation or something along those lines)

But if that was the case how did he pass the Chelsea medical? i refuse to believe that they use sub standard doctors at Chelsea and not pick up the same things as they did at Liverpool.
    Just seems bizarre we have taken such a huge gamble on Balotelli instead of taking a punt on Remy.

I think like many posters have already said it seems like madness that after knowing for so long we were going to lose Suarez that the only option we were left with in the end was Balotelli.
    I remember at the end of the transfer window there were many saying that it was a great transfer window for us, but to me now it looks like anything but. Daglish ultimately lost his job after the shambles of the transfers made on his watch, followed by a poor season. And it looks like Rodgers is guilty of the exact same, if not worse. I'm not saying he should be sacked or anything like that but his transfer dealings to date for the most part have been abysmal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

djPSB wrote: »
    Love this one.

https://vine.co/v/OK3P7w3tB5Z

Is there a way to embed vines?

Just post it as a link and Boards does the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I remember at the end of the transfer window there were many saying that it was a great transfer window for us, but to me now it looks like anything but. Daglish ultimately lost his job after the shambles of the transfers made on his watch, followed by a poor season. And it looks like Rodgers is guilty of the exact same, if not worse. I'm not saying he should be sacked or anything like that but his transfer dealings to date for the most part have been abysmal.

That's a bit premature. Don't you think losing the worlds most in form player combined with bringing in nine new players, losing your main striker to injury and having to accommodate an aging legend into the team structure somehow regardless of his suitability, physical capability or suitability to the role requires a bit more than a handful of games to sort out?

Once we get Sturridge and Balo on the same pitch and have Lallana, Can and Allen back fit then and only then will BR be able to put the team he wants on the pitch and even then it's going to take another 5-6 games for them to settle down. It's frustrating but there's no shortcut. They have to learn to play together, understand each others strengths and weaknesses etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

It's incredibly frustrating that the striker we bought as back-up for our injury prone striker only plays well with our injury prone striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

BenEadir wrote: »

Spine tingling stuff!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Enjoyed that. Will be a good game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Haha!

SODDING MMAACCHHHEEEEDDDDDAAAA!!

*Shakes fist*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Welcome to last night chaps :) (does anyone read this thread?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So anyone think Hodgson will pick Sturridge ( when fit and if he hasn't broken down again before then) for the November Internationals just to show Rodgers up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

noodler wrote: »
    Haha!

SODDING MMAACCHHHEEEEDDDDDAAAA!!

*Shakes fist*

i'll see your Macheda and raise you a Nabil El Zhar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Hey Peps, just wondering how Can played on Sunday. I didn't get to see the game or the highlights yet

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Hey Peps, just wondering how Can played on Sunday. I didn't get to see the game or the highlights yet

I though Can done very well for his 60 minutes. Was constantly looking for the ball, always moving, around all the midfield areas.
    He made a couple of wild swipes at the ball and pulled out of a few hard tackles, I think he was just trying to gauge how physical he could be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hardly got into the game really, too much tippy tappy stuff between the back five and too much long ball which went straight over him to someone further up the field. You could see him waving, "me! me!" and not getting anything.

Andre Wisdom touch video for Utd game. Very good he was too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Solid first start from him - do think he can progress into a very good player.

I think if our defence was playing better we'd have seen him looking to carry the ball out from deep more often which is something he's quite good at - unfortunately if he was to do that and get caught in posession then our back 4 would have been left exposed somewhat - and our back 4 were all over the place

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement