Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Hey Peps, just wondering how Can played on Sunday. I didn't get to see the game or the highlights yet

Alright only. First half their midfield were all over us. Himself and Henderson never got a foothold in game hence Gerrard had to drop back there second half to try and get his foot on the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Lol yeah doesn't really match the action

I thought it was awesome and matches the video super well. If you look at that team theres some big players there - Xabi Alonso, Mascherano, Torres, Reina - theyve all moved on. It gives me the feeling of reminiscing to a great time and so the music is appropriate. I love how it dips.in and out for the highlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

So anyone think Hodgson will pick Sturridge ( when fit and if he hasn't broken down again before then) for the November Internationals just to show Rodgers up.

Of course Hodgson will pick Sturridge if he's back to fitness.
    Why wouldnt he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Of course Hodgson will pick Sturridge if he's back to fitness.
    Why wouldnt he?

Even if he hasn't played a club game yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Especially if he hasn't played a club game yet. Just to spite us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Welcome to last night chaps :) (does anyone read this thread?)

Thinly veiled "Stop thanking the other guy who posted the link as I posted it last night" comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

But if that was the case how did he pass the Chelsea medical? i refuse to believe that they use sub standard doctors at Chelsea and not pick up the same things as they did at Liverpool.
    Just seems bizarre we have taken such a huge gamble on Balotelli instead of taking a punt on Remy.

I think like many posters have already said it seems like madness that after knowing for so long we were going to lose Suarez that the only option we were left with in the end was Balotelli.
    I remember at the end of the transfer window there were many saying that it was a great transfer window for us, but to me now it looks like anything but. Daglish ultimately lost his job after the shambles of the transfers made on his watch, followed by a poor season. And it looks like Rodgers is guilty of the exact same, if not worse. I'm not saying he should be sacked or anything like that but his transfer dealings to date for the most part have been abysmal.

Chelseas doctors would have found the same issue. Is happened previously. Its a case of Chelsea being in a position of taking that risk when taking on the player and Liverpool not being in that position. I dont understand why people make such a big deal about it to be honest. Chelsea have the means to take risks like that, we dont.

As for the signings i think its foolhardy and naive to write payers off after less than a dozen games for the club. We have seen numerous times where players have taken time to settle at a club like Liverpool with fans calling them out as poor transfers only to end up looking quite foolish, our current vice captain being a prime example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

martyos121 wrote: »
    Especially if he hasn't played a club game yet. Just to spite us.

That what was asking and thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

If sturridge is fit im sure hodgson will pick him, and he has every right to. If he has yet to play a game for lfc and/or rodgers says he isnt fit then hopefully he wont get called up, but you cant really blame hodgson for calling him up, he doesnt owe liverpool anything and id imagine theres a bit of bad blood brewing so hodgson will be more than happy to call him up if sturridge is fit enough to play. Where it will get annoying is if hodgson ignores the recommended training regime for sturridge, or if he plays him for 180 minutes resulting in another sturridge injury.

Im not a fan of hodgson at all, but hes got his own business to take care of so hes entitled to do whatever he wants if he thinks its in the best interests of englands campaign. What will annoy me is if his ineptitude results in another injury to a liverpool player, as after all, they are his players too, so he should be looking out for their best interests. I suspect hell be ignoring any advice he receives from liverpool, but hopefully if sturridge himself says something then hodgson will take heed

I'd imagine Sturridge will be off until November 22nd. No point in rushing him back for November 8th.

I'd rather he comes back fully fit and having already broke down in a comeback I'd say there's no way he'll be hurried back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

BenEadir wrote: »
    That's a bit premature. Don't you think losing the worlds most in form player combined with bringing in nine new players, losing your main striker to injury and having to accommodate an aging legend into the team structure somehow regardless of his suitability, physical capability or suitability to the role requires a bit more than a handful of games to sort out?

Once we get Sturridge and Balo on the same pitch and have Lallana, Can and Allen back fit then and only then will BR be able to put the team he wants on the pitch and even then it's going to take another 5-6 games for them to settle down. It's frustrating but there's no shortcut. They have to learn to play together, understand each others strengths and weaknesses etc.

But the point im making is that we knew for a long time we were loosing the worlds most in form player, and I thinks some of the players we brought in were not what we needed and we should have been trying to get someone to fill the void left by Suarez. Especially as we know how prone sturridge was to injury.
    the kelt wrote: »
    Chelseas doctors would have found the same issue. Is happened previously. Its a case of Chelsea being in a position of taking that risk when taking on the player and Liverpool not being in that position. I dont understand why people make such a big deal about it to be honest. Chelsea have the means to take risks like that, we dont.

As for the signings i think its foolhardy and naive to write payers off after less than a dozen games for the club. We have seen numerous times where players have taken time to settle at a club like Liverpool with fans calling them out as poor transfers only to end up looking quite foolish, our current vice captain being a prime example.

But was taking a risk on Remy much more of a risk than taking a risk on Ballotelli? yes totally different types of risk but I really think we made the wrong decission there.

Im not totally writing off all the new transfers but so far its not looking good, I hope i'm totally wrong and they all settle down to become great signings, but i fear that is just not going to be the case. And apart from Sturidge i can't really think of any signings Rodgers has made to date that have been a real success

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Straight up we should have gone for Remy, Origi mitigates the risk long term. Balotelli is a guy with serious issues coming from his background. Rodger's ego led him to believe he could sort him out where other more likely candidates have failed. Decent scouting, looking at players attributes rather than signing them on a whim or emotional basis would have ruled out a slow and ageing Lambert.

Getting Henderson playing good football and sorting out Mario the man child are not the same thing.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I'd imagine Sturridge will be off until November 22nd. No point in rushing him back for November 8th.

I'd rather he comes back fully fit and having already broke down in a comeback I'd say there's no way he'll be hurried back

Hardly a breakdown when it's a different injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Still yes. If Sturridge is declared fit he'll be important for England, Hodgsons gig.

An international manager is going to do his utmost to get results for that national side, not club sides. Therefore he'll risk Sturridge if it increases England's chances of winning. Hodgson wont be thinking of Sturridge's availability to Liverpool after the November internationals. His concern then will be the fitness of players for whenever the next round of qualifiers is on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Great interview with Arbeloa. A fitting quote to for our season:

"one player lets you down,fine, two or three and the whole thing comes crashing down.."

5starpool wrote: »
    Hardly a breakdown when it's a different injury.

Stupid Guardian getting me all confused.
    Liverpool have been dealt another significant blow after Daniel Sturridge broke down in his first session since returning to training. Brendan Rodgers had been hoping to have Sturridge back in time for Sunday’s game at Queens Park Rangers or Wednesday’s Champions League fixture, but after a five-week lay-off since picking up a thigh injury on England duty the striker could now be out for another month with a calf strain.

Break-up it is ! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

@MrAncelotti's Tweet: https://twitter.com/MrAncelotti/status/524638302134362112?s=09

Class act is Ancelotti
    Carlo Ancelotti (@MrAncelotti) tweeted at 8:08 pm on Tue, Oct 21, 2014:
    'This is Anfield' It's an honour to play in a legendary stadium like this one in charge of Real Madrid #HalaMadrid http://t.co/iG94qJbFKF
    (https://twitter.com/MrAncelotti/status/524638302134362112?s=03)

Am I the only one that can't see that?

Might be cos I just copied it from the twitter app on my phone...will try and fix it there

Ancelloti :cool:
    It’s always been a club that excites me. The ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone’ they sing is incredible. Nobody sings an anthem like Liverpool fans.

Tomorrow, before the game, I’m going to go out onto the pitch early because I want to hear them sing it.

I’m so excited...sometimes I look for it on the internet and put it on for my friends. It’s something really unique, seriously.

I remember when we played them in Istanbul [when he was at AC Milan, in the Champions League Final] and we were winning 3-0 at the break.

There were 45,000 Liverpool fans in the ground singing ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone’ for 10 minutes. It was incredible and for an Italian it was a shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

• Advertisement

Some mover that Sahko lad

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

brevity wrote: »
    @MrAncelotti's Tweet: https://twitter.com/MrAncelotti/status/524638302134362112?s=09

Class act is Ancelotti
    'This is Anfield' It's an honour to play in a legendary stadium like this one in charge of Real Madrid #HalaMadrid http://t.co/iG94qJbFKF

Carlo is all class. Got a rough deal at chelsea and never lowered himself to a parting shot. He is the total opposite of roy keane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Yep, always liked Ancelotti even though it was Chelsea he was managing but those quotes seal the deal for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Yep, always liked Ancelotti even though it was Chelsea he was managing but those quotes seal the deal for me!

I wasn't hugely fond of that Milan team but he had this sort of dignified air of total and utter mastery of his craft.

My least disliked Chelsea manager in recent memory. He made watching them not terrible.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

On the atmosphere, if we put in a reasonable performance tomorrow it could be cracking as it patently has not been in any of the games this season so far at home. It'll start off great, but I can see it getting tense and tetchy if we are under early pressure (as I expect) or concede early and don't put up much of a fight.

Hopefully though we'll put up a fight and raise our game for our most high profile game of the season pretty much. I think there is a good chance we'll do better than generally expected unless we get an early setback and while dreading it in some ways I'm really looking forward to it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Gbear wrote: »
    I wasn't hugely fond of that Milan team but he had this sort of dignified air of total and utter mastery of his craft.

My least disliked Chelsea manager in recent memory. He made watching them not terrible.

I guess you're not including Rafa as their gaffa?

I guess you're not including Rafa as their gaffa?

That didn't happen.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

im really looking forward to tomorrow. It could be just the game we need to kick start our season. Dont get me wrong, im aware a real win is the likely outcome, but another defeat will just continue the trend so far this season of disappointing performances and disappointing results. Confidence is already low. If we were to get a result, it could be a huge boost to the players and could give us a huge lift in confidence and morale going forward. In a weird way it feels like a good time to play the best team in the world, while were at our worst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Class act is Ancelotti
    Carlo is all class. Got a rough deal at chelsea and never lowered himself to a parting shot. He is the total opposite of roy keane.

Not that Carlo isn't a nice guy or anything but we are such a predictable thread in response to these sort of compliments , or conversely, anything Hodsgon says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

From twitter

mig
    Johnson-skrtel-lovren-moreno
    gerrard
    hendo
    allen
    coutinho
    sterling---balotelli

All the best glen!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

klose wrote: »
    All the best glen!

Can see Hendo sitting in there in front of him, snapping at Ronnies toes all evenin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

klose wrote: »
    From twitter

mig
    Johnson-skrtel-lovren-moreno
    gerrard
    hendo
    allen
    coutinho
    sterling---balotelli

All the best glen!

Not too bad. I would be happy to see 2 up front for sure. With Lallana coming on at some stage I presume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I'd love to see Hendo tasked with man-marking Ronaldo for the evening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

x43r0 wrote: »
    I'd love to see Hendo tasked with man-marking Ronaldo for the evening

Id say Allen is more likely to be given the task of stopping Ronaldo. Hendo has much more pressing in him, so would expect him and Sterling to be prssing the likes of Kroos and Modric

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Not that Carlo isn't a nice guy or anything but we are such a predictable thread in response to these sort of compliments , or conversely, anything Hodsgon says.

If Hodgson compliments us will the universe collapse in on itself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

That's a strong midfield. Presumably to cut off supply to ronaldo and benzema

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'd expect to see Sterling offering alot of cover for GlenJo initially until we feel our way into the game.
    I dont expect a fast start from us.

I had a dream last night that Lambert came on, tackled Balotelli in the oppositions area to get the ball so Mario wouldn't take another wild shot, shoulder barged Pepe out of the way and slotted the ball calmly into the bottom corner.
    Do it for me Ricky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I'd expect to see Sterling offering alot of cover for GlenJo initially until we feel our way into the game.
    I dont expect a fast start from us.

I had a dream last night that Lambert came on, tackled Balotelli in the oppositions area to get the ball so Mario wouldn't take another wild shot, shoulder barged Pepe out of the way and slotted the ball calmly into the bottom corner.
    Do it for me Ricky.

There would be a gold statue of Ricky outside anfield if that happened.

Is Pepe starting? Balo vs Pepe might be a bit....risky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Ramos is out so id imagine it will be him and varane at centre back, ramos is brilliant at attacking set plays so it will be good for us that he's out considering how bad we are at defending set plays. Still that cristiano chap to worry about though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Maybe the version that plays for Portugal will show up.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Maybe the version that plays for Portugal will show up.

Both of them are absolute loons.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I was talking to a guy in work yesterday about Lambert, I thought I was the only one that thought of this every time I said his first name.

EAD7A478-CAC9-9DA9-DB0BE8C2DDA933C8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

risk of a fight breaking out?

Spazdarn wrote: »
    risk of a fight breaking out?

Yup. Can see Pepe winding Mario up all night. I don't think Mario should start tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

He's already a frustrated enough character without adding Pepe abuse to the mix. His confidence is fairly poor though, dunno if dropping him will be of any benefit to him, especially considering ye don't really had an awful lot better.

He's got to work harder, bring others into play more, the goals will come when he's not so blatantly desperate.

Spazdarn wrote: »
    He's already a frustrated enough character without adding Pepe abuse to the mix. His confidence is fairly poor though, dunno if dropping him will be of any benefit to him, especially considering ye don't really had an awful lot better.

He's got to work harder, bring others into play more, the goals will come when he's not so blatantly desperate.

The only other alternative is Borini who would give his all even if that might not be good enough.

One option would be to play Sterling the furthest forward and Balotelli behind him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

in Cork tonight... anyone know a good bar to watch the match in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

mada999 wrote: »
    in Cork tonight... anyone know a good bar to watch the match in?

City or suburb?

If its the City you've got the below for example,

Woolshed, has a few screens, good grub too.
    Reardons, has 3 huge screens, you can get food, never had it though.
    Soho, 1 huge screen, good food too.
    Old oak, 1 huge screen, dont do food, I'm sure.

There all the bigger and better places to go, theres an LFC supporters Bar but not sure where it is, a Google off it might help.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement