Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Dont think anyone went that far!!

Have you not read the last few pages?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Watched the match sober. Then went out and drank. Home now.

Rodgers is either going to integrate the new players and have a fantastic 2015/2016, or we are witnessing the beginning of the end.

You can climb the Premiership with Sterling/Sturridge/Suarez running rampant. But after that you need to organise a defence. Europe requires a degree of organisation I don't think Rodgers is capable of.

I'm not going to bring it up again. I've said what I think. Hope Rodgers proves me wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Balotelli isnt as bad as some make out, he just isnt for LFC.

He is an average player, who cant play on the break, cant see quick passes, doesnt appreciate whats around him, is selfish in the wrong areas to be selfish, has the capability to demoralise a unit largely full of young players and cant play on his own up front. "He was the best we could have got", he was also one of the worst imo.

I was intrigued to see what he could do for us but like many id say, that curiosity is wearing thin. I have no ill will towards him, the shirt thing is neither here nor there in the grand scheme. Its simply about talent and what he is offering. There is lots of goodwill when he plays and if he was performing the same way while bursting his bollox then many would give him some slack but he doesnt. He needs someone else to do the donkey work and him to collect the fruits of that. That simply wont work for this team. You cant be a 'team' if all XI dont pull weight together.

As for the defending, its all down to the club and its priorities or even its values. The fact we have to keep banging out the same tune is testament to an ethos within the club that does not value a tactical approach to basic defending.

I've had my say on Skrtel. Johnson is someone who i would replace asap as well. Simple decisions are beyond these players. I'd add Enrique too.

There are fundamental issues at the club. Its the actions of the decision makers that need to be ridiculed now if no changes are made in the defensive set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

MD1990 wrote: »
    Mignolet was shocking for the 3rd goal. He has a major flaw as he suffered a bad facial injury a few years & has no bravery or courage to go for balls where he might be in a collision.

I think we should try and sign begovic in jan or in the summer. If i remember right it was a toss up between those two in the first place. It seems we got it wrong. I think begovic is an excellent keeper and one of the best in england. He has no weakness as far as i can see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

MR NINE wrote: »
    I think we should try and sign begovic in jan or in the summer. If i remember right it was a toss up between those two in the first place. It seems we got it wrong. I think begovic is an excellent keeper and one of the best in england. He has no weakness as far as i can see.

I coming round to this idea. However what is Begovic like with the ball at his feet? I think the passing out from the back has Migolnet on edge and his overall game suffers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Charlie19 wrote: »
    The thread really is spit on Mario.

While I dont like him being at Liverpool, I think he done well tonight and I'm still foolishly hoping he'll come good when Sturridge becomes available.

I've read a lot a posts about how we were undone by great first goal and I dont think anyone has laid blame at Loveren. If Loveren hadn't tried the overhead, I think he could of continued his run and just shielded or headed the ball out to safety.

If that's the case, I refuse to go any further back on this thread.

I've said it since we were linked. I've said it since his first game. I've said it again and again: Mario is not it. Mario doesn't work for us. Time after time tonight his positioning was just wrong. He links up badly. He's on the wrong side of defenders. It's dreadful to look at. Subsequently, he tries to drop back and attempt long shots that don't even go past the first man.

I would've accepted LFC buying a 0.5 goal per game striker. That's average. Jermaine Defoe territory. Balotelli is on circa 0.2 goals per game now surely. That's appalling. No excuses left. Nowhere to hide. Rodgers was right to hook him. Finally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Did we really play as bad as people are making out? I only got to see the first 45 minutes, but in the first half I didn't think we played that badly despite being 3-0 down. I definitely saw a lot of positives in the first 20-25 minutes, and although the defending for both Benzema's goals was terrible, outside of that I didn't see too much wrong. The first goal probably knocked the wind out of the sails a bit, but I've definitely seen us play a lot worse this season. I would be more worried with the performance against QPR than I would be with tonights, despite us winning 3-2 on Saturday and losing 3-0 tonight. Then again I only saw the first 45, but for it to finish the same scoreline how badly could we have played in the second half?

Real Madrid are a classy side, in terms of overall strength it's probably the strongest Madrid team I've ever seen. They have a great chance of retaining it this season, scary to think how good they could be if you added Bale in there tonight. Disappointing we didn't put up a better fight, it could have been a very special night at Anfield if they got a result, the atmosphere before the game sounded incredible.

Also not too impressed with Balotelli this season, but using the jersey swapping thing as a stick to beat him is harsh IMO, the media are just looking for stories about him. He would want to improve his performances though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Did we really play as bad as people are making out? I only got to see the first 45 minutes, but in the first half I didn't think we played that badly despite being 3-0 down. I definitely saw a lot of positives in the first 20-25 minutes, and although the defending for both Benzema's goals was terrible, outside of that I didn't see too much wrong. The first goal probably knocked the wind out of the sails a bit, but I've definitely seen us play a lot worse this season. I would be more worried with the performance against QPR than I would be with tonights, despite us winning 3-2 on Saturday and losing 3-0 tonight. Then again I only saw the first 45, but for it to finish the same scoreline how badly could we have played in the second half?

Real Madrid are a classy side, in terms of overall strength it's probably the strongest Madrid team I've ever seen. They have a great chance of retaining it this season, scary to think how good they could be if you added Bale in there tonight. Disappointing we didn't put up a better fight, it could have been a very special night at Anfield if they got a result, the atmosphere before the game sounded incredible.

Also not too impressed with Balotelli this season, but using the jersey swapping thing as a stick to beat him is harsh IMO, the media are just looking for stories about him. He would want to improve his performances though!

IMO, We played well for the first 15/20 mins. Once they scored the first we fell apart. Also despite then endless pages of mud slinging, Mario was decent in the first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Forgive my ignorance of the PL outside of LFC, but wasn't Lovren supposed to be a leader, organiser, solid. Absolute spoofer so far by the looks of things, himself and Skrtle are like the chuckle brothers, throw Johnson and Enrique in there and you're looking at one of the most idiotic back lines in the league add Toure and Sakho into the mix and it's like something from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. The defensive coaching seems non existent, but these lot seem genuinely brainless.

We all thought Carragher went overboard with Arbeloa a few years back, i'd love to see something like that now. This team has no character. Brendan has a big job on his hands here, i think he got a bit too far ahead of himself and he could be in danger of blowing it. On the other hand, this is a real test for him and if he gets us through it he'll be the better manager for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Coutinho was at fault for the second goal, though he was probably one of the best players on the pitch. The problem with him is he always trys to start an attack no matter where he receives the ball - even if he has got it in a poor position.

That's really a double edged sword. When the play is broken up, as he likes, he can find a great pass and really make something happen. Conversely, he can really cause us problems if he loses the ball as the team arent prepared for another phase of attack.

I dont think Benzema was heading at goal - I think he was heading across goal - but that chance came about because Coutinho was trying to start a counter from the edge of our own box.

I would say that maybe that should be coached out of him but i'm not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

One player was dismal tonight for me, Johnson. Don't even know what he was thinking half the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I don't understand all the criticism of Johnson tbh. I thought he was ok - there were far worse.players out there. He was also up against Ronaldon half the night and Ronaldo never made a proper opportunity on his side.

Much more concerned by Lovren and Skrtel. As bad as Skrtel was, Lovren was worse. Fucķing shocking, particularly for the third goal. How the fucķ did he miss that clearance? He was watching the ball all the way. Fucķing flop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I don't understand all the criticism of Johnson tbh. I thought he was ok - there were far worse.players out there. He was also up against Ronaldon half the night and Ronaldo never made a proper opportunity on his side.

Much more concerned by Lovren and Skrtel. As bad as Skrtel was, Lovren was worse. Fucķing shocking, particularly for the third goal. How the fucķ did he miss that clearance? He was watching the ball all the way. Fucķing flop.

There was a moment in the game where Johnson got the ball in their half and like so many times before was in dreamland, dawdling on the ball like a thick and was dispossesed.

I've seen him do it time and time again against all sorts of opposition, the level of stupidity and brainlessness is honestly something to behold. He comes a very close second in the braindead stakes to Enrique. Moreno and Manquillo look much better than this pair and they're only 20 odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

K4t wrote: »
    If tonight proved anything, it's that Rodgers needs to build the team around Coutinho, Can and Sterling.

What? Seriously....what?
    Coutinho has mostly been very poor this season.
    Can hasn't done enough yet to prove he is a player worth building a team around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I have a massive problem with it and I think others do, or should. You shouldn't be pally with the opposition anyway but particularly after they've just handed your ass to you.

I think about Roy Keane saying 'It amazes me to see players talking to the opposition in the tunnel - we're going to war' (paraphrased).

I believe that Rodgers subbed Balotelli at half time for the shirt swap. I can see no other reason for subbing him. He was probably Liverpool's best player in the first half.

I was actually raging when I saw he was substituted. I thought Rodgers had thrown him under the bus i.e. was subbing him to blame him in someway for the performance (scapegoating). It only made sense when I saw the shirt swapping.

Still probably poor man management from Rodgers as Balotelli will totally shut down now.

Rodgers was told about the shirt swap after the game live on air and said it was the first he'd heard of it, and would look into it, so no, it's not the reason he was taken off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

klose wrote: »
    Gerrard was having a laugh and a joke with ronaldo when we were one down iirc, no out cry over that though. Balo is the easiest of targets.

Jesus clutching a bit there did you not see after the game when arbeloa asked him to swap and he said not here in the dressing room

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Rodgers was told about the shirt swap after the game live on air and said it was the first he'd heard of it, and would look into it, so no, it's not the reason he was taken off.

Rodgers could be lying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

IMO as each game goes by, BR is getting shown up more and more.

He was incredibly fortunate last year that Suarez peaked and Sturridge was fantastic too.

The sexy football going forward deflected attention from the dodginess at the back.

The Palace game being where the league was lost, 3 nil up with 10 or 15 minutes remaining, it should have been about holding steady.

His ineptness in the transfer market and his insistence this season of playing players that are past it or worthless will be his undoing.

The league was lost by not taking anything from the Chelsea match. Even a point in that game and we'd be champions now. What happened at Palace was a direct consequence of losing to Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

monkey9 wrote: »
    The league was lost by not taking anything from the Chelsea match. Even a point in that game and we'd be champions now. What happened at Palace was a direct consequence of losing to Chelsea.

The league was lost when we dropped 13 more points in the first half of the season.

You can't expect to make 0 mistakes in the 2nd half of the season and win every single game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

monkey9 wrote: »

Fairly sure we were 6 points ahead of City at the start of that game and 1 behind at the end due to our 'collapse'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Thank god real gave up.

It looked as though ancelotti told them not to embarrass us.

Balo shouldn't start ahead of studge or lamborini Ever again. Impact sub only.

Meself, sterling and can hugely impressed last night. Moreno, at least showed he has potential. Hendo showed bite, and first half Gerrard wasn't bad.

Second half Gerrard gave up. A worrying sign for a captain regardless of score. I'd be in favour of letting him sit out a game or two. It would freshen him up and give Hendo some leadership time. Think he's a brilliant captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Just have to move on and concentrate on Hull at the weekend. Would like to see Manquillo and Can start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Its easy to make Balotelli out as the scapegoat but the team & BR are as culpable. We don't defend as a whole unit and the defence and keeper are a joke tbh.
    As others have mentioned I think Balotelli has something about him but he doesn't seem to care or buy in to the work ethos that we are supposed to have at LFC. I think he will be shipped out at the end of the season and it's prob the best for both parties that he is.
    BR is under serious pressure this season to deliver and show what his "plan" is all about. I do think last season was a flash in the pan and sad to say it will take a lot more time & money invested before we are even close to competing at the top table in Europe.
    I will always stand behind the manager and the team no matter what and I will be roaring them on from the kop come Saturday.
    This season is gonna be a long and winding road :o

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Swarlez

ch750536 wrote: »
    One player was dismal tonight for me, Johnson. Don't even know what he was thinking half the time.

I thought he was actually one of our better players. He got caught out for the second goal alright, but i think it was more down to Coutinho (who actually had a good game too apart from his mistake) losing the ball at the edge of our box trying a ridiculous turn.

He defended well one on one with Ronaldo and still offered himself going forward. Looked like he was wrecked in the final ten, but in fairness, he was up and sown the pitch all night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭Ardent

I didn't know too much about Lovren before he came to LFC, he wasn't exactly a standout performer in league was he? But looking at his Liverpool career to date, he's not great is he? I thought his positioning and anticipation for the first goal could have a lot better also, swinging madly for the ball. Not impressed, looks like another expensive dud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Can we get Wisdom back from his loan spell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Fairly sure we were 6 points ahead of City at the start of that game and 1 behind at the end due to our 'collapse'.

You are also ignoring the fact that City had a game in hand.

It was the Chelsea defeat that opened the door for City and they slammed it shut.
    A win at Palace would have just kept the pressure on City but it was the Chelsea game that was vital.
    I still feel Rodgers should have played for the draw.

I have always backed Rodgers since his appointment but now worry for him.

Bad transfer dealings and poor set ups are making me question him.

Also, in all the interviews I've seen not one journalist has asked what has happened to the pace and pressing play that was so successful last season, regardless of Suarez leaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

"I fear the worst, Ballotelli is going to get kicked all season long until he snaps. I think it's evitable. Poor buy by Rodgers. Whether we like it or not, he will grab all the headlines for the wrong reasons this season. It will not help the new team to gel. From 2nd last season after blowing a golden opportunity, I think we are back in chasing 4th and it will be a struggle."
    hefferboi wrote: »
    Have you next weeks lotto numbers as well?

"Ask me in May. Actually I bet he does something really stupid by January"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It's an easy out to substitute Mario but he was decent in the first half, his main problem is still his head down shoot mentality.

Glen Johnson was actually better than usual, still hugely at fault for the second goal but good effort apart from that, still has his brainfarts in the final third.

Can, Moreno and Lallana also gained credit.

Markovic needs a goal to boost his confidence big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Jesus clutching a bit there did you not see after the game when arbeloa asked him to swap and he said not here in the dressing room

It was in response to somebody a few posts earlier saying they hate players being all pally during a game using balo swapping shirts as an example, i pointed out that gerrard was just being as " pally" midgame at that moment, people have their blinkers on.

He was excellent v united but i would leave him there all season get manquillo starting and flanno back soon and tell johnson he can leave for tuppence in January id be hoping for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Also the only player who looked to take on his man really was sterling, everyone else is just taking the easy option and taking the safe pass. Alot of players confidence just looks shot to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

If we could and we played him he'll suffer the same defensive amnesia every defender we have suffers from in a BR team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

The annoying thing about Johnson is it's clear as day he's doin f**k all as he's contract is running down. Let him rot in the reserves I say. Id sell Mignolet in January as well, he's lack of confidence & authority running right through the defence.

We pay 16 million for a striker near the end of the window when we've a better player on loan for the season in France. Crazy stuff. You'd swear we were signing Maradonna himself such was the glee the Balotelli purchase was met with around here. We buy a young Spanish right back when we've a young English right back doing great stuff in the Championship & currently in the premiership. These issues rest firmly at the door of the manager.

We need a defensive coach brought in ASAP, Carragher maybe. Why didn't Coutinho clear the ball at 0-1? Clear our f**king lines and re-group. We are playing the European champions with endless about of talent and we're trying to play football in crazy areas. Sort of reminded me of when Rodgers came in first all this passing in or around our own area. I call it passing, but that is being a bit generous as far as Mignolet is concerned.

Red Pepper wrote: »
    "I fear the worst, Ballotelli is going to get kicked all season long until he snaps. I think it's evitable. Poor buy by Rodgers. Whether we like it or not, he will grab all the headlines for the wrong reasons this season. It will not help the new team to gel. From 2nd last season after blowing a golden opportunity, I think we are back in chasing 4th and it will be a struggle."

"Ask me in May. Actually I bet he does something really stupid by January"

Why are you using quotation marks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

IMO as each game goes by, BR is getting shown up more and more.

He was incredibly fortunate last year that Suarez peaked and Sturridge was fantastic too.

The sexy football going forward deflected attention from the dodginess at the back.

The Palace game being where the league was lost, 3 nil up with 10 or 15 minutes remaining, it should have been about holding steady.

His ineptness in the transfer market and his insistence this season of playing players that are past it or worthless will be his undoing.
    No surprise to see Quarryman thanking that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

It was in response to somebody a few posts earlier saying they hate players being all pally during a game using balo swapping shirts as an example, i pointed out that gerrard was just being as " pally" midgame at that moment, people have their blinkers on.

Are you on about Ronaldo smiling and joking as Gerrard walked past him in the first half? Because he was doing that to the ref for not getting a corner/ free kick. Had nothing to do with Gerrard.
    Johnson on the other hand was having a smile and a laugh with Benzema at two nil down when he gave away a corner I think. Few minutes later benzema's off celebrating madrid's third.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

murpho999 wrote: »

Also, in all the interviews I've seen not one journalist has asked what has happened to the pace and pressing play that was so successful last season, regardless of Suarez leaving.
    +1 Last season was a flash in the pan and he will get more time because of it, Just like Rafa did after 05! But he is the Manager and the buck stops with him. Our defense is worse now than last season ffs.. that not been addressed is very poor management IMO! He's spent over a 100 million and not bought 1 world class player most his signings have been very poor for the standard expected at Liverpool & that will take us back to the Top!!!

Even United have bought good quality players, you always want quality over quantity!

And am worried going forward.

murpho999 wrote: »

I am getting pretty frustrated too, but it's silly to even question his status mid-season.

If we get Coutinho, Sturridge, Sterling and Lallana all in the same team, I think we could yet turn things around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Is Brad Jones a better option than Simon Mignolet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

B0lj3-OCUAAKBb-.jpg:large

• Advertisement

Is Brad Jones a better option than Simon Mignolet?
    No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Id imagine henry would tell rodgers to gtfo if he asked for multiple signings again in jan.

Fair point.

Although there should still be cash leftover at the same time.
    Augeo wrote: »
    Rodgers won't be looking for a defensive midfielder in Jan, or beyond I think. A back up keeper is likely and I can see borini leaving after realising he won't be getting a look in, someone coming in up front.

Rodgers could well get this squad to finish top 4 and last 16 of the CL isn't at all unlikely. Plenty of magic to be mustered by Sturridge if he's getting games.

Our midfield is pretty poor - Henderson aside.

Rodgers would not be doing his job is he just assumed Sturridge will stay fit for the remainder of the season once he comes back.

Back up keeper implies we still have to keep playing Mingolet - I am not sure how viable that is in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

benny79 wrote: »
    +1 Last season was a flash in the pan and he will get more time because of it, Just like Rafa did after 05! But he is the Manager and the buck stops with him. Our defense is worse now than last season ffs.. that not been addressed is very poor management IMO! He's spent over a 100 million and not bought 1 world class player most his signings have been very poor for the standard expected at Liverpool & that will take us back to the Top!!!

Even United have bought good quality players, you always want quality over quantity!

United payed 60m and broke the british tranfer record for Di Maria.
    16m Loan fee and whatever wages on top of that for Falcao.
    30m for Shaw? 16m for Rojo plus paying for nani's wages for the year?
    Blind is probably the only decent player who they havent been taken to the cleaners over.
    Thats about 150m for 5 players and about 2m coming in the other way from players sold. There's only about 4-5 teams in the world who can complete with that financial clout, and we're not one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

No, Premier League loans are for the full season, I'd prefer him to learn at WBA over about 40 games than be in and out of Liverpool in any event. That said I'm wishing we could get Divock Origi back, speaking of whom don't forget

Divock-Origi.jpg

ITV4 6 pm tonight Lille v Everton (he better start!)

benny79 wrote: »

I don't agree with this as you can't be a flash in the pan over a whole season.

Something has changed in the mindset of the players, apart from Suarez leaving and Rodgers needs to find it and get it back.

Talking of Utd buying quality but we're the ones struggling for form but ahead of them in the league so go figure that one out.

I am getting pretty frustrated too, but it's silly to even question his status mid-season.

If we get Coutinho, Sturridge, Sterling and Lallana all in the same team, I think we could yet turn things around.

I'm judging him based on the performance so far and I think even with those players in the team we would struggle unless we get the pressing and pace back in our game.

Even with Suarez in the side we would struggle at the moment as we are not playing the same way as last season and our defensive play has declined.

Any thoughts on what we're going to do about Balotelli, lads? Sturridge is still crocked for the next two weeks at least, so my thoughts are at least to persist with him until then. Our next three games are against Hull, Swansea and Newcastle, teams who we should be getting chances against. I think if he can break his duck in the league, the goals might just come more easier for him then.

Any thoughts on what we're going to do about Balotelli, lads? Sturridge is still crocked for the next two weeks at least, so my thoughts are at least to persist with him until then. Our next three games are against Hull, Swansea and Newcastle, teams who we should be getting chances against. I think if he can break his duck in the league, the goals might just come more easier for him then.

Mario is not a lone striker. Pair him with Borini or Sterling up front or dont bother playing him would be my thoughts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Have no idea how bad things need to be for Borini to start but we may find out soon.

I'd nearly prefer to go with a no striker approach - just fill the front end with ball players and willing runners - Lallana, Sterling, Coutinho with Hendo, Can and Gerrard behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    United payed 60m and broke the british tranfer record for Di Maria.
    16m Loan fee and whatever wages on top of that for Falcao.
    30m for Shaw? 16m for Rojo plus paying for nani's wages for the year?
    Blind is probably the only decent player who they havent been taken to the cleaners over.
    Thats about 150m for 5 players and about 2m coming in the other way from players sold. There's only about 4-5 teams in the world who can complete with that financial clout, and we're not one of them.

Falcao's loan deal didn't involve a £16 million fee but that's moot.

Rodgers' transfer policy was discussed on Newstalk last night,he inherited Suarez who was Liverpool's best player by a mile & simply became too good to stay.Rodgers almost didn't take the job as he wanted full control & not to work under a DOF.Whatever about him being a decent coach,his transfer nous & dealings are questionable at best.
    One point was raised,how relevant are Liverpool to players that weren't even born or only kids when they last won the league,that coupled with the draw of box office managers such as Jose,Wenger & LVG meant that it may have been harder than simply waving cash around for Liverpool.
    Balotelli smacks of a panic buy & if I was a Liverpool fan,I'd be worried while looking at who United,Chelsea & now even Arsenal are buying in comparison.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement