Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

But but but but but but but etc etc etc.....isn't there a transfer commettee that takes the blame for all those signings not Brendan!!!!!!!!

Be interesting to know what the dynamic is there, is Rodgers able to sign off transfers on his own? Does he have the power to set out the criteria for player types without question? How much of this is compromised? Is the committee making things worse than would otherwise be the case, or is it actually stopping Rodgers making errors? Stuff I'd love to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Be interesting to know what the dynamic is there, is Rodgers able to sign off transfers on his own? Does he have the power to set out the criteria for player types without question? How much of this is compromised? Is the committee making things worse than would otherwise be the case, or is it actually stopping Rodgers making errors? Stuff I'd love to know.

Or a very simple thing like is there really a committee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

It will all be in his autobiography 'The Rodgers' says...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Coutinho was at fault for the second goal, though he was probably one of the best players on the pitch. The problem with him is he always trys to start an attack no matter where he receives the ball - even if he has got it in a poor position.

That's really a double edged sword. When the play is broken up, as he likes, he can find a great pass and really make something happen. Conversely, he can really cause us problems if he loses the ball as the team arent prepared for another phase of attack.

I dont think Benzema was heading at goal - I think he was heading across goal - but that chance came about because Coutinho was trying to start a counter from the edge of our own box.

I would say that maybe that should be coached out of him but i'm not sure.

We lost the ball an incredible amount of times on the left full back area, I don't think it was down to one particular player, just players being too intricate or clever rather than just hoofing it. I suppose the problem is there's little point hoofing it either as Mario isn't really an out ball.

Sterling seemed to me to be trying too hard last night. He wanted to turn and attack all the time when a good few times he'd have been better holding onto it and waiting for support.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

T-K-O wrote: »
    I coming round to this idea.However what is Begovic like with the ball at his feet? I think the passing out from the back has Migolnet on edge and his overall game suffers.

I couldnt really give a **** tbh. Im sure he can kick and pass, i dont want him to pick out strikers and play through balls etc. i want someone who commands his area, claims crosses etc. this whole lark of a keeper needing to be good with the ball at his feet is a myth. Its a nice plus if theyre skillful but its one of the least important attributes a keeper can have imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

LL is a megaphone/sloganeering poster. You'll not get much else out of him at times like this except flecks of enraged spittle. You'd think Liverpool were on equal terms with Real Madrid or something.

You want to make out we are a lower division side or something. We ARE in the same league as Real. They narrowly missed out on La Liga last year, us the EPL.

Sometimes it isn't a matter of complication or nuance. People trying to look at positives aren't bring rational here. We turned in another hapless performance, and it is concerning and frustrating. End of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

So a 10% strike-rate? Not great is it?

God no, ive always had a thorn in my side about Rodgers signing policy. Very miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

MR NINE wrote: »
    I couldnt really give a **** tbh. Im sure he can kick and pass, i dont want him to pick out strikers and play through balls etc. i want someone who commands his area, claims crosses etc. this whole lark of a keeper needing to be good with the ball at his feet is a myth. Its a nice plus if theyre skillful but its one of the least important attributes a keeper can have imo.

One of the most annoying myths in football. Surely anyone who plays football every day regardless of the position can pass the ball 15-20 yards.

Jaysus, I know a few fans never rated Rodgers, but I though it wouldn't turn this quickly.

We're fourth, not playing well and no Sturridge, we always improve as the season goes on with Rodgers, we've a great chance of getting to the knock out round, albeit with a bit of luck last night.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I think Rodgers will turn it around he is a very good managaer but his weakness is his signings. Not getting Sanchez was such a huge blow imo.

MD1990 wrote: »
    I think Rodgers will turn it around he is a very good managaer but his weakness is his signings. Not getting Sanchez was such a huge blow imo.

Add coaching defenders to that list.

Add not knowing how to deal with Gerrard to that list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Here we go, finish 2nd, achieve champs league qualification (both of which most thought were beyond us last year) and before we even get to halloween, never mind Xmas, the knives are out.

Personally, I think that's pathetically short sighted.

I do think we would benefit from a fresh look at how we are defending, if you are 0-0 down after an hour it gives you a chance. BR showed last year, after a stuttering start when the boo boys were out in force, that he was able to make changes. I have confidence that he will make the same changes this year.

Balotelli and Markovic look to be money spent naively or hastily, I do agree with that criticism although players deserve more patience than a few months worth of football before being tossed onto the scrapheap. I don't hold out hope for Balotelli as he has been consistently problematic at other clubs.

Some of the hysterical carry on makes me wonder whether supporting Liverpool robs some of us of any type of memory, perspective and patience.

A poster touched on it earlier, last season, first three games, three clean sheets. Whats happened? Is it all down to gerrards new position? I havent turned on rodgers but im very concerned at our inability to defend. Id like to think if we signed a new keeper and a holding midfielder things might change but i dont think thats gonna happen, and even if it did im really not sure if itd make much of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Looks like the Ballotelli story may not last long going by Twitter.

David Wooding - S*n on sunday editor is rumoured to have been in the directors box last night

The man claims to be an LFC fan. WTF.

For all the money we spent that £20 Million in January last year was crucial. We're very ordinary without Sturridge and an on form Coutino. He played some delightful through balls last night that Sturridge would have thrived on. Ifs and maybes.

I thought Llanana was disappointing last night, though he has been good in recent games. Looked a little ordinary for the money spent last night.

Can and Markovic came in to a training session basically.

• Advertisement

MR NINE wrote: »
    A poster touched on it earlier, last season, first three games, three clean sheets. Whats happened? Is it all down to gerrards new position? I havent turned on rodgers but im very concerned at our inability to defend. Id like to think if we signed a new keeper and a holding midfielder things might change but i dont think thats gonna happen, and even if it did im really not sure if itd make much of a difference.

5 at the back and Sturridge, simples!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    You want to make out we are a lower division side or something. We ARE in the same league as Real. They narrowly missed out on La Liga last year, us the EPL.

Sometimes it isn't a matter of complication or nuance. People trying to look at positives aren't bring rational here. We turned in another hapless performance, and it is concerning and frustrating. End of.

We absolutely aren't Lloyd. They can attract and buy whoever they want, they are UCL champions and most importantly have been consistently in the CL while we haven't for 5 years.
    So many inexperienced players at this level out there last night.
    We went from 7th to 2nd in a season, that was a monumental jump in results and we have sold the main contributor to that.

Miles and miles behind a team like Real Madrid we are, you are utterly delusional if you believe any different.

K-9 wrote: »
    For all the money we spent that £20 Million in January last year was crucial. We're very ordinary without Sturridge and an on form Coutino. He played some delightful through balls last night that Sturridge would have thrived on. Ifs and maybes.

I thought Llanana was disappointing last night, though he has been good in recent games. Looked a little ordinary for the money spent last night.

Can and Markovic came in to a training session basically.
    Can has looked pretty good imo. But Markovic is a huge disapointment. He seems to lack any sort of courage to do anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

£212 mill on 25 players in two years. How many of them have made an impact?

Yes and we finished 2nd last season and despite not playing well are currently 5th this season. In a league where there are a number of teams that can outspend us. Especially on wages.

You'd swear we were batting relegation the way some are talking. Not that we are playing well currently and we all find that incredibly frustrating but some perspective is required.

Ultimately Madrid would have done the same to every other English team last night bar maybe Chelsea. Even Man City.

Add coaching defenders to that list.

Add not knowing how to deal with Gerrard to that list.
    Rodgers needs to get in a defensive coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Add not being Benitez to that list.

Can has looked pretty good imo. But Markovic is a huge disapointment. He seems to lack any sort of courage to do anything.

Ill reserve judgement on markovic for a long time. It must be difficult to come into a disjointed side in poor form. Hes barely played, hell need time imo. He looks low on confidence and scared to try anything, it could take him a while to settle. I havent seen much of him but i get the impression hed be better on the left, cutting inside onto his right foot. He keeps playing on the right and all he does is cut back and play it backwards. Id like to see him on the left against swansea next week, where he can be more direct and cut inside onto his favoured foot

He won't though that is the problem.

It has been plain to see last season and this season so far that he can't coach defenders.

Everyone can see it except him by the looks of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This is delusional.

Here is the difference and its got sod all to do with places on a league table.

Real booted out Di Maria and they didn't even need to. Liverpool wanted Sanchez and even had a player Barcelona wanted to sign and still no deal could be done. They bought in James Rodriquez and Toni Kroos, Kroos was nearly a freebie but he'd never have signed for Liverpool we're not his level. Balotelli we got....

Like it or not Liverpools name counts for little in the marketplace and that won't change for years yet if at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Looks like the Ballotelli story may not last long going by Twitter.

What story :)

We're pretty crap at putting the ball in the back of the net too!

Sorry for being mr. obvious but the whole team isn't functioning properly at the minute.

What story :)

hqdefault.jpg

Exactly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

How likely dya think it is for Ballotelli to start this weekend lads?

Meanwhile in Lille Everton fans are being fired at with rubber bullets after a bit of trouble with the locals.
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11671/9530189/everton-say-two-fans-taken-to-hospital-after-attack-by-lille-locals

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Meanwhile in Lille Everton fans are being fired at with rubber bullets after a bit of trouble with the locals.
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11671/9530189/everton-say-two-fans-taken-to-hospital-after-attack-by-lille-locals

I saw last night a bar full of Everton fans was attacked and the French police were less than helpful

• Advertisement

I saw last night a bar full of Everton fans was attacked and the French police were less than helpful

They look to be getting treated like hooligans.
    http://www.itv.com/news/update/2014-10-23/police-fire-rubber-bullets-at-everton-fans/
    Definitely not a friendly welcome.
    B0ojFMmIIAAU7gz.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

That seems to happen a lot in France. Weren't Spurs fans attacked there a few years back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Does it really need a defensive coach to tell Lovern and Skrtel to "stop playing like a pair of b1tches and go out there and fcking attack the ball when it comes in the box and whilst you're at it get stuck into the opposing teams striker you complete pair of bellends"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

If I was Rodgers I would bring Carra back to teach the CB's how to defend TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I am pie wrote: »
    Here we go, finish 2nd, achieve champs league qualification (both of which most thought were beyond us last year) and before we even get to halloween, never mind Xmas, the knives are out.

I do think we would benefit from a fresh look at how we are defending, if you are 0-0 down after an hour it gives you a chance. BR showed last year, after a stuttering start when the boo boys were out in force, that he was able to make changes. I have confidence that he will make the same changes this year.

Balotelli and Markovic look to be money spent naively or hastily, I do agree with that criticism although players deserve more patience than a few months worth of football before being tossed onto the scrapheap. I don't hold out hope for Balotelli as he has been consistently problematic at other clubs.

Some of the hysterical carry on makes me wonder whether supporting Liverpool robs some of us of any type of memory, perspective and patience.

Geuinely discussing Rodgers' situtation doesn't really mean the knives are out.

There is no way in hell, CL qualification or not, that he won't be here next season in my opinion.

Its fine to point out his apparent shortcomings though - I would not call it having the knives out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

noodler wrote: »
    Geuinely discussing Rodgers' situtation doesn't really mean the knives are out.

There is no way in hell, CL qualification or not, that he won't be here next season in my opinion.

Its fine to point out his apparent shortcomings though - I would not call it having the knives out.

It should also be acceptable to point out that none of us want to do a Spurs, i.e. one and done in the CL and back to where we started a half decade later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

the problem last night was primarily the lack of solidity.

yes, the scoreline was 3-0, and could've been worse, but it should only have been 1-0 at half-time, and any decent team at defending balls into the box would probably have come out of that half at 1-0.

who knows what would've happened from there.

Balotelli is a problem, but he's not our biggest problem. that lies at the back, as the ineptitude there accentuates any good play the opposition has. if the opposition plays well, they'll probably score because we can't defend in even the most basic way.

we are unable to close the space between midfield and defence, and we can't seem to defend balls into the box.

Madrid didn't have to get out of 2nd or 3rd gear because our defence was a shambles; no other reason really. they could have probably gone up gears and beaten us convincingly anyway, but we didn't even give them that challenge.

until we teach them how to follow the flight of a ball into their own box, and to head it away, it's going to continue to be a rocky road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

My main concern is that Rodgers does not seem to have realised that you cannot keep defending as badly as we have, and hoping for the best. All good sides are based on a solid defence - I am of the belief that whatever about the attacking side, you first of all sort out your defensive shape and then once thats done, focus on the attacking side. Its not often you have two strikers in the kind of form that we did last year (Suarez and Sturridge) and even though they scored over 50 league goals between them, we still didnt win the league. That says to me that, unless you have a properly organised defence, you are never going to win the big trophies.

The sooner Rodgers realises this, the sooner we can start to move forward. And this is not based on last night. Its been on show for most of last season, and in every game this season so far bar maybe the Tottenham game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

No new injuries and no timeline update on Sturridge injury at presser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Does it really need a defensive coach to tell Lovern and Skrtel to "stop playing like a pair of b1tches and go out there and fcking attack the ball when it comes in the box and whilst you're at it get stuck into the opposing teams striker you complete pair of bellends"

I think Skrtel is a lost cause at this stage. I'm sure it's been said to him a hundred times by the coaches but his bad habits are too ingrained in him now and he either can't or won't change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    My main concern is that Rodgers does not seem to have realised that you cannot keep defending as badly as we have, and hoping for the best. All good sides are based on a solid defence - I am of the belief that whatever about the attacking side, you first of all sort out your defensive shape and then once thats done, focus on the attacking side. Its not often you have two strikers in the kind of form that we did last year (Suarez and Sturridge) and even though they scored over 50 league goals between them, we still didnt win the league. That says to me that, unless you have a properly organised defence, you are never going to win the big trophies.

The sooner Rodgers realises this, the sooner we can start to move forward. And this is not based on last night. Its been on show for most of last season, and in every game this season so far bar maybe the Tottenham game.

What do you mean here? Do you think he thinks our defending is brilliant? Have you listened to him at all, he has talked a lot about it....including todays presser. He knows right well our defending is not up to scratch. Fixing it and finding the solution appears to be the problem. Im sure he thought Lovren would help a lot..... which he hasnt so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

But when we're building over a period of several years, how does that criticism make any sense?

Maybe you can disagree with the whole strategy but we've chosen it for financial and not football reasons.

I'm sure we'd love to only buy 26-30 year olds every season that are all ready to slot in. We're not going to though.

When most of your signings are 22 or under they're simply not going to produce in enough numbers in the short term.

Only when we've had the system established for a few years can we expect to have a conveyor belt of players ready to deliver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

It should also be acceptable to point out that none of us want to do a Spurs, i.e. one and done in the CL and back to where we started a half decade later.

It's the manner of the posts that's irking some. Completely writing off Rodgers and this team on the basis of a poor start as opposed to looking at the bigger picture...

If performances improved but we missed out on top four would you want Rodgers to stay or go?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I don't understand all the criticism of Johnson tbh. I thought he was ok - there were far worse.players out there. He was also up against Ronaldon half the night and Ronaldo never made a proper opportunity on his side.

Much more concerned by Lovren and Skrtel. As bad as Skrtel was, Lovren was worse. Fucķing shocking, particularly for the third goal. How the fucķ did he miss that clearance? He was watching the ball all the way. Fucķing flop.

Lovren played with a defender last year who actually had a brain and listened (to Lovren's leadership), Fonte. Lovren is an excellent player playing beside a lunatic of a defender who listens to nobody.

One of our best runs for not conceding goals in the last few years came in 12/13. You know what happened then?, Skrtel got dropped for Carra. The thing with Skrtel is, he stays fit, thats his main attribute. If Agger could have stayed fit and Carra not retire he wouldnt get a sniff (ye know what i mean here), because he is actually fu*king dreadful at his job and nobody can make a decent partnership with him. He makes everyone around him worse.

And you know what makes things 10 times worse?. Some players beside him try to play a team game but get caught out because he plays pretty selfishly. They push out and Skrtel is left deep. Instead of more simple offside decisions going against us, Skrtel plays people onside, makes a last ditch effort and this equates to defensive genius. Absolute 'puddin' of a defender. If i had made the tackle that he did on Charlie Austin at the weekend for QPR's great chance in the first half i'd have been slaughtered from the sideline...............................by an U14's coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I am pie wrote: »

What were these changes?

The defence was shite last season as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

sturridge is the only one. rodgers transfer record has been awful.
    noodler wrote: »
    gafferino wrote: »
    Barring absolute disaster (8th or below) Rodgers will be here this season and next season.

liverpool sack rafa and kenny for failing to make it to the champions league so there is zero chance of rodgers surviving should liverpool fail this year after spending more than £100 million on players over the summer.

after all spurs are sacking managers for finishing 5th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

rossie1977 wrote: »

liverpool sack rafa and kenny for failing to make it to the champions league so there is zero chance of rodgers surviving should liverpool fail this year after spending more than £100 million on players over the summer.

I know it's a basic test,but how many off this list would the big boys in Spain be waving cash at to sign within a season or so?

ByACmH-IMAAWxBI.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

rossie1977 wrote: »

Rafa had to go, the club was in decline and he couldn't stop it and he was at war with H&G.

Dalglish was sacked for spending so much money on a couple of players who made zero impact. On top of that all though we won a cup and got to a final of another, the league performances and results were some of worst I have ever seen at Liverpool, I think we had one win in 12 at one stage.
    The fact we had owners brand new to this game didn't help him, they thought spending 100m would get them CL, they know it requires far more now.

IF we finished 5th and Rodgers was sacked I would be disgusted to be honest.

Sturridge and Coutinho were too great signings but he has bought a fair amount of turkeys, saying that he as also massively improved players like Henderson, Flanagan and Sterling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Not that it matters in the greater scheme of things but I don't think he bought Ibe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'm glad it was only 3-0. If they didn't have Barca in a few days, and that was in the knockout stages, they would have murdered us.

So, that was us trying our absolute best, and them in 3rd gear, and they still won by 3. Jesus. We're so far off swingin' with the big dicks, it's disheartening. I've no idea how we'll finish in the top 4 with our defence that bad. Last season we had a dangerous offence who tidied up mess after mess at the back. Now it's like we have nothing.

We'll see what happens when Sturridge is back, but I wouldn't hold my breath, it won't change just how bad we are defensively.
    That's the thing, though. It will.

With Sturridge in the team, we have all the outfield players pressing the ball when we don't have possession and the ability to win the ball back near their goal. We then have a player, when we have possession, who will hold up the ball and bring others into play.

We will also have a player who is willing to make runs across the defensive line and drag defenders with him to open space for runners from midfield. We will also have a player who is willing to run behind the defensive line and show for through balls.

That player is Sturridge.

That player in NOT Balotelli. All he has offered so far is speculative shots from 40 yards out, no deep threat, no passing to other players and no running to open space for other players. The Shankly statue out front offers more threat than Balotelli and definitely more movement.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement