Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Lets be more like spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Lets be more like spurs.

I like this idea,

Get that man a drink!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

What is the story with Markovic? He seems afraid. Pulling out of sprints. That ping pong in the box last night he should have but the ball and keeper in the back of the net instead of toe poking a pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

gafferino wrote: »
    What is the story with Markovic? He seems afraid. Pulling out of sprints. That ping pong in the box last night he should have but the ball and keeper in the back of the net instead of toe poking a pass.

Isnt he coming off a calf injury, maybe hes terrified to over stretch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I know it's very early days, but out of all our signings, for the money that was spent, Markovic has been really disappointing. When you compare him to Sterling (who is a year younger) - he just looks a long way off a top 4 player.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

I know it's very early days, but out of all our signings, for the money that was spent, Markovic has been really disappointing. When you compare him to Sterling (who is a year younger) - he just looks a long way off a top 4 player.
    Especially since that money spent also came along with a load of hype. I had heard he was really fast on his feet, but I think I have only seen him outpace one player so far(just about)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    It's the manner of the posts that's irking some. Completely writing off Rodgers and this team on the basis of a poor start as opposed to looking at the bigger picture...

If performances improved but we missed out on top four would you want Rodgers to stay or go?!?

I'm not sure how either / or it is tbh. I think if performances improve we'll be okay. I'd be very disappointed if we miss out on fourth. Outside of City / Chelsea everyone else is shaky. This is a vital season, irrespective of what happened last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

He couldnt even do simple passes last night. Times are tough when you cant pass the ball to a team-mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

What do you mean here? Do you think he thinks our defending is brilliant? Have you listened to him at all, he has talked a lot about it....including todays presser. He knows right well our defending is not up to scratch. Fixing it and finding the solution appears to be the problem. Im sure he thought Lovren would help a lot..... which he hasnt so far.

He has talked about it, but it hasnt improved. In fact, judging by our defensive display against QPR, its gotten even worse. If his current coaching staff cant fix this, he needs to get in someone that can fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It should also be acceptable to point out that none of us want to do a Spurs, i.e. one and done in the CL and back to where we started a half decade later.

There is a fear, that we will be back to being a top 6 or 7 club by the end of the season and that the amazing platform Suarez gave us will have been completely wasted. Its obviously too early to say but I worry.
    Pyjamarama wrote: »
    It's the manner of the posts that's irking some. Completely writing off Rodgers and this team on the basis of a poor start as opposed to looking at the bigger picture...

If performances improved but we missed out on top four would you want Rodgers to stay or go?!?

I guess that depends on how much they improve. Would we look like we are on a consistent arc of improvement or just a bit better than the crap we have seen so far.
    rossie1977 wrote: »
    liverpool sack rafa and kenny for failing to make it to the champions league so there is zero chance of rodgers surviving should liverpool fail this year after spending more than £100 million on players over the summer.

after all spurs are sacking managers for finishing 5th

I can't see it personally.

zerks wrote: »
    I know it's a basic test,but how many off this list would the big boys in Spain be waving cash at to sign within a season or so?

ByACmH-IMAAWxBI.jpg

'Kolo Fcuking Toure' was free!

We sold Suarez for 75m, Torres for 50m, I am not getting to the net spend again but it fcuking matters. We have had to sell class stars to raise money - other clubs can just add to their existing stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

noodler wrote: »

'Kolo Fcuking Toure' was free!

We sold Suarez for 75m, Torres for 50m, I am not getting to the net spend again but it fcuking matters. We have had to sell class stars to raise money - other clubs can just add to their existing stock.

Don't shoot the messenger he probably got it from a Liverpool fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

You do not have to sack a manager everytime performances dip ,that way lies Spurs.

That said Rodgers is not doing enough at the moment , There is no visible improvment in defence despite massive investment over the last two years

Lovren £20M
    Moreno £12M
    Toure Free
    Mignolet £10M
    llori £7m
    Sakho £18M

Thats £67M in Defenders in 3 transfer windows , Not sure you can ask FSG to offer more support. If you include the £31M that Glen Jo ,Skittles and Coates cost we are shy of £100M invested in that defence and yet things are continuing to get worse.

Brod needs to step up own this and come up with a plan to address the issue. I suspect he needs help and maybe a Defensive coach coming into the set up is what is required.If he does not put this forward himself then he should be very heavily encouraged to bring somebody in.

I am a big believer in giving managers time to turn things around but not when they appear to be ignoring the problem.

I was head of the queue saying he needed more time in 2012 ,as I could see that results might have been stagnant but the team was performing better and I believed it was only a matter of time until results followed. Results for us have been relatively ok but performance currently is attrocious with no end in sight.
    I think finishing 5th or 6th but team moving the right direction Brod is still in a job ,but if we continue this performance level anything other than top 4 will see him in real trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Don't shoot the messenger he probably got it from a Liverpool fan.

Worst fans ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It should also be acceptable to point out that none of us want to do a Spurs, i.e. one and done in the CL and back to where we started a half decade later.

Spurs problem has been a complete lack of stability. If Levy was our chairman, and Real had scored a couple more last night, Rodgers would be out the door today, half our signings would be gone in January and we would be set back three years.

Markovic etc might not look great thus far but we have to give them a chance to settle. Its a very young team and there are going to be bad patches.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I thought i read Rodgers apparently put an end to that last week?

Yeah he did, always denied we ever had interest. Think it was just a press thing given our current goal keepers performances.

Said similar about Balotelli though.

Said similar about Balotelli though.

I actually think at the time he said that we werent looking at Balotelli. I cant remember the exact timelines but I think it was 2-3 weeks between saying it and signing? Rodgers has said that the Balotelli was a late decision as others werent available (or something to that extent).

• Advertisement

I thought i read Rodgers apparently put an end to that last week?
    If Rogers says we are absolutely not interested in Valdes, then you can be sure that we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Lille v Everton 6 pm KO ITV4 (and Setanta?)

Origi starts

I actually think at the time he said that we werent looking at Balotelli. I cant remember the exact timelines but I think it was 2-3 weeks between saying it and signing? Rodgers has said that the Balotelli was a late decision as others werent available (or something to that extent).
    Rodgers wrote:
    But I can categorically tell you that he will not be coming to Liverpool.
    :pac:

If we are interested in a player, it makes sense to deny our interest. The more we absolutely rule the player out - the more we are interested in bringing the player to the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Wasn't aware we'd lost out on Valdes. Very disappointing. Really questioning whether Rodgers/transfer panel have the clout to be able to land big name players.

Ok so as a priority in Jan we need to be looking at;

-New Top class striker
    -New goalkeeper
    -New DM

I'm excluded defenders because I simply refuse to believe they all need to be replaced. For the most part they're proven top players. Rodgers & co need to adjust their coaching to get them playing to their potential.

Was Can not brought in as a DM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

A move for higuian in january makes the most sense for me. I think he would be easily getable.

• Advertisement

Perhaps, but he doesn't look to me like a player who will be at the level we need him to be this season. As such, we should turn our attention elsewhere while he develops.

Too many punts on young-ish potential. We need to be in quality or we'll have no chance of CL next season.

Goalkeeper and 2 centre forwards priority for me. Central midfielder and a RB too.

Mignolet for me just isn't up to it. Great shotstopper he may be but his overall game isn't good enough, and it hasn't improved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A defensive coach who knows how to coach defenders would be a start as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

jonny24ie wrote: »
    If I was Rodgers I would bring Carra back to teach the CB's how to defend TBH.
    Rodgers didn't offer Carragher a role on the staff, hence the move to Sky. I don't think Rodgers would bring him back either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

What would cares offer exactly bar giving the lads a bollicking? Could be a horrific coach for all we know.

• Advertisement

klose wrote: »
    What would cares offer exactly bar giving the lads a bollicking? Could be a horrific coach for all we know.

'Lesson 1: It's never your fault.'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Good they need a bollocking!

Bring Steve Clarke back!

He couldn't be any worse than the current set up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

noodler wrote: »

The only positive from last night was what happened in Hungary.

I see your Geography is on par with Glen Johnson's defending! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Joe.ie not sure what they are like but this is being reposted all over Facebook.

Report: Mario Balotelli is in more trouble, this time with the police.

http://www.joe.ie/football/report-mario-balotelli-is-in-more-trouble-this-time-with-the-police/472842

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Wasn't aware we'd lost out on Valdes. Very disappointing. Really questioning whether Rodgers/transfer panel have the clout to be able to land big name players.

Ok so as a priority in Jan we need to be looking at;

-New Top class striker
    -New goalkeeper
    -New DM

I'm excluded defenders because I simply refuse to believe they all need to be replaced. For the most part they're proven top players. Rodgers & co need to adjust their coaching to get them playing to their potential.

I'd say top class keeper, do whatever to bring Origi back in Jan, sell Balotelli

get a defensive coach

Joe.ie not sure what they are like but this is being reposted all over Facebook.

http://www.joe.ie/football/report-mario-balotelli-is-in-more-trouble-this-time-with-the-police/472842

BBC running it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Goalkeeper and 2 centre forwards priority for me. Central midfielder and a RB too.

Mignolet for me just isn't up to it. Great shotstopper he may be but his overall game isn't good enough, and it hasn't improved.

2 centre forwards seems a bit much? With origi coming in six months and us likely to play sturridge up front on his own quite often, wed be well over stocked, even if balotelli, borini and lambert all left.

Goalkeeper and a defensive midfielder are the priority imo. A quality holding mid would make a huge difference imo. Unfortuantely it seems rodgers is gonna persist with gerrard in that position for the foreseeable future. If we could get the mascherano of 2009/10/11 in there i think it would go a long way towards solving our defensive issues. Throw in a commanding goalkeeper and i think wed see an improvement in our defence. I dont usually like giving up on players early but I think ive seen enough of mignolet to know hes not good enough. Hes a very good shot stopper but thats not enough, he is hopeless at dealing with aerial balls.

Anyone watching Lille? Divock Origi playing as part of a three pronged attack, showed some fine touches, strength, great pace and a willingness to move both laterally and vertically (dashed back about 40 yards to stop an Everton attack gaining momentum at one point).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Anyone watching Lille? Divock Origi playing as part of a three pronged attack, showed some fine touches, strength, great pace and a willingness to move both laterally and vertically (dashed back about 40 yards to stop an Everton attack gaining momentum at one point).

He's been very impressive. Working very hard, great skill level and pacy.

• Advertisement

Any chance it was Pepe wearing Balotelli's jersey?

MR NINE wrote: »
    2 centre forwards seems a bit much? With origi coming in six months and us likely to play sturridge up front on his own quite often, wed be well over stocked, even if balotelli, borini and lambert all left.

Goalkeeper and a defensive midfielder are the priority imo. A quality holding mid would make a huge difference imo. Unfortuantely it seems rodgers is gonna persist with gerrard in that position for the foreseeable future. If we could get the mascherano of 2009/10/11 in there i think it would go a long way towards solving our defensive issues. Throw in a commanding goalkeeper and i think wed see an improvement in our defence. I dont usually like giving up on players early but I think ive seen enough of mignolet to know hes not good enough. Hes a very good shot stopper but thats not enough, he is hopeless at dealing with aerial balls.

I'm assuming Lambert, Borini and Ballotelli will be gone in the summer. All not good enough for LFC imo.

So that only leaves Sturridge who is made of glass.

I'd certainly get 2 and have Origi. The latter might not settle into the English game at all tbf

rarnes1 wrote: »

I'd certainly get 2 and have Origi. The latter might not settle into the English game at all tbf

He looks designed for the English game to me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

If Lucas goes there'll be plenty of room for another.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Gbear wrote: »
    If Lucas goes there'll be plenty of room for another.

Yeah Lucas popped in to my head reading the last few posts. We were linked with a Lucas plus cash deal before with Napoli for Higuain. Can't see it happening now though, who'd take Lucas? Doubt he'd have any impact on a Higuain transfer anyway.

edit: I'd have a new goalkeeper, a DM and a world class striker with Lucas, Lambert, Balotelli and Borini gone. Borini the most likely to be sold for decent value as the others don't exactly come across as attractive buys for other clubs. Balotelli especially, so I'm holding on to the hope that he turns it around when Sturridge is back and he's not alone up top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Origi looks very good but Lille don't give him a lot of support. Often left up front by himself. Very defensive outfit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Origi looks very good but Lille don't give him a lot of support. Often left up front by himself.

Hell feel right at home at Anfield so!

Well I'm glad I don't have to watch Lille often, they desperately lack a Sterling/Coutinho type who can get in the oppositions deep midfield and produce a pass.

Origis weakness is clearly when one on one, lacks a bit of guile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Origi looks very good but Lille don't give him a lot of support. Often left up front by himself. Very defensive outfit.

Origitelli.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement