Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Any reason why kess dissappear ed, sorry if it has been covered and I missed it, I have not been following every day

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

4 years ago we were on one day away from administration. Sitting in 7 in the league and in big trouble.

Now were upset about having the Champion of Europe beat us and sitting 5 in the league.

Its October. We have a lot of new players still finding there feet in the club and we missing 60 goals from last season.
    We're still have a great chance to go through in the Champion league.

Every club have disappointing run of results and performance But its October not April. Balotelli and all the rest of the new players need time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

We all knew Mario was a huge risk. I'd be more worried about his attitude and off field stuff affecting team morale, which probably isn't too high at the moment. Suarez could moan but it was for the good of the team, with Mario it seems to be him being a prima donna.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

sword1 wrote: »
    Any reason why kess dissappear ed, sorry if it has been covered and I missed it, I have not been following every day

Worst fan ever:)

I dont tbh, I've noticed a few missing of late.

I just assumed they were banned.

God help us all, if we not get a win against Hull. Can only imagine what this and the humor thread will be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

4 years ago we were on one day away from administration. Sitting in 7 in the league and in big trouble.

Now were upset about having the Champion of Europe beat us and sitting 5 in the league.

Its October. We have a lot of new players still finding there feet in the club and we missing 60 goals from last season.

Every club have disappointing run of results and performance But its October not April. Balotelli and all the rest of the new players need time.

I shall call you Optimism Guy

jPpDv9jEFZyS6zuneC6r6nJoo_Q7pzNtAkbd1wqWo3ajhaXAMpr8Omhio9cBGpM1t7MPUYr-U_flEOSlviJvN9JnHpkTXdvNMsiD=w380-h285-nc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

SlickRic wrote: »
    he was good before he arrived at Southampton. in fact, this is the first season where he looks dodgy.

same problem as Lovren. he was universally good before he arrived.

Say that to Lyon fans! This is not the first season where he looks dodgy if you don't just take an EPL-biased view. Lyon wasn't exactly smooth sailing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Charlie19 wrote: »
    God help us all, if we not get a win against Hull. Can only imagine what this and the humor thread will be like.

This is the Hull team that Arsenal needed an injury time goal to get a draw against at the Emirates last weekend, I'd be very concerned that they'll beat us. But you're right, the Internet will be a place to avoid for a few days if they do...

J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Only a few months on from our best league season in donkeys years and already the knives are being sharpened for our clueless, arrogant, smug, ego maniac of a manager, I suppose it's better than the chancer, used car salesman,Brent jibes, people can critique the tactics and everything else but a few are questioning his character and getting personal, it's so obvious that people who had egg splattered all over their face last season will be the ones to start turning on a whim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Only a few months on from our best league season in donkeys years and already the knives are being sharpened for our clueless, arrogant, smug, ego maniac of a manager, I suppose it's better than the chancer, used car salesman,Brent jibes, people can critique the tactics and everything else but a few are questioning his character and getting personal, it's so obvious that people who had egg splattered all over their face last season will be the ones to start turning on a whim.

Not Sure that is fair ,I think in the main the criticism has been aimed at the continued failure to address a glaring problem.

Our problems are imo
    1.New signings not performing at required levels/not right type of signings
    2.New Teammates taking too long to gel
    3.Defence is all over the place (one of the worst performing in the league)

It is worth noting that nobody worth paying attention too has got the knives out on points 1 and 2 or thinks they are reason enough to sack BRod . I know I am willing to give him time to address this.

Point 3 though cost us a league last year and has gotten worse over the summer. In reality failure to address this is a fundamental flaw in the Managers character and if he does not fix we will never win anything. If he does not address soon I will question if he is the man to take us where we want to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thats worrying to read that Rogers said we don't need a defensive coach. I think it was Einstein who said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again yet expecting different results.

Sometimes you need a fresh face and new perspective and given that our defensive problems have been ongoing since last season now would seem the time. I just hope Rogers isn't blinded to the need but he appears to be which is a bit worrying because so far he and the coaching team around him haven't come up with the answers and right now they look further away from that position than ever.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Kolo looking for a start :pac:

NoCjlyz.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

We don't need a defensive coach. Srtel, Lovren, Sakho, Johnson, Moreno all know how to defend, but they're at sixes-and-sevens because Mignolet doesn't impose himself in the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

We don't need a defensive coach. Srtel, Lovren, Sakho, Johnson, Moreno all know how to defend, but they're at sixes-and-sevens because Mignolet doesn't impose himself in the area.

I think that's too simple an answer.

It's probably lots of little things acting together - you can handle one or two of having a DM with no legs, full backs who attack too aggressively, an attack that constantly loses the ball and never makes use of possession, a dodgy keeper, 3 new defenders in the starting 11 but not all of them simultaneously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

LFC TV to cost £7 a month when it relaunches on November 4th. Don't know what the cost will be in RoI.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lfctv-cost-fans-7-per-7991731

Gbear wrote: »

It's probably lots of little things acting together - you can handle one or two of having a DM with no legs, full backs who attack too aggressively, an attack that constantly loses the ball and never makes use of possession, a dodgy keeper, 3 new defenders in the starting 11 but not all of them simultaneously.

I think that "a defensive coach" is too simple an answer.

The more difficult one is admitting that the Mignolet signing was wrong. While his save stats were fantastic, he doesn't have the right profile to play in an attack-minded team like Liverpool.

A dominant, sweeping keeper would solve a lot of our problems: by taking charge of his penalty box, it allows us to play higher, our full backs to get forward, and our centre backs to be aggressive. Those points aren't flaws -- they're by design.

The team as a whole, let alone the back four, is not built to defend on our 6-yard box; but that's exactly what's happening, because Mignolet can't be trusted to attack a ball in the box.

I think that "a defensive coach" is too simple an answer.

The more difficult one is admitting that the Mignolet signing was wrong. While his save stats were fantastic, he doesn't have the right profile to play in an attack-minded team like Liverpool.

A dominant, sweeping keeper would solve a lot of our problems: by taking charge of his penalty box, it allows us to play higher, our full backs to get forward, and our centre backs to be aggressive. Those points aren't flaws -- they're by design.

The team as a whole, let alone the back four, is not built to defend on our 6-yard box; but that's exactly what's happening, because Mignolet can't be trusted to attack a ball in the box.

Well we needed two keepers. Reina needed to be replaced.

Most teams in the league don't have a sub keeper as good as Mig.

A bit too much to spend but **** happens. He did play a positive role in our form for most of last season.

On the sweeper keeper thing, one like Valdes might help with playing a high line and improving distribution but he'd be no more commanding at set pieces or when we are forced to sit deep than Mignolet.

It's hard to argue which attribute would be more important to a prospective keeper - we're conceding a lot of goals from set pieces and stupid mistakes when under a modicum of pressure in our own box so ideally they'd have both.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Most teams in the league don't have a sub keeper as good as Mig.

Yeah, he'd be grand as a sub keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Midfielders aren't covering the space the full backs are leaving behind so the centre backs are getting dragged out wide.

Rodgers is all about goals and passing, he doesn't care for the defensive side IMO, we were lucky last year and who knows with Sturridge not injured we might have continued to get away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Going by the Bib theory this is the team tomorow

B0t5MoxIUAAyGUK.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

That's about the sum of it. I also reckon Rodgers thinks (or at least is praying) that the return of Sturridge will somehow fix this. It'll help as playing two up will always means better ball retention higher up the field but that wont fix the defence or Gerrards age.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Dont worry lads they're practising defending set pieces

B0ttw_RIcAAbm3i.jpg:medium

disgusted-meme.png

I think I feel worse now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

(A ditty dedicated to our crisis)

Has B Rod let us down?
    Have we shown too much of the ball?
    When we lost 3-0 to Real Madrid?
    Were we really asking for it?

And our defence is woeful!
    And Super Mario is awful!
    Will we regain our CL place?
    Or end up like Spurs in 5th!

Fans fighting in the forums!
    Oh man! Look at Toure go
    It's the freakiest show

Take a look at Moreno
    Bombing Forward
    Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever grow
    Into the best fullback in the league
    Is there life on Anfield rooooooad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

rob316 wrote: »
    Midfielders aren't covering the space the full backs are leaving behind so the centre backs are getting dragged out wide.

Rodgers is all about goals and passing, he doesn't care for the defensive side IMO, we were lucky last year and who knows with Sturridge not injured we might have continued to get away with it.

Not sure "getting away with it" is a fair way to put it.

It wasn't luck that was winning us those games. Football is about scoring more than you concede, and a 5-3 win is just as valid and no more lucky than a 2-0 win.

People need to bear in mind that at this stage last season we had only really played well once or twice, were not playing with any great fluidity and were struggling to last 90 minutes pace.

Now the difference is we had Suarez last year so nearly won the league. We obviously won't do that again, but no reason why we can't push on and finish 4th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Augmerson wrote: »

(A ditty dedicated to our crisis)

Has B Rod let us down?
    Have we shown too much of the ball?
    When we lost 3-0 to Real Madrid?
    Were we really asking for it?

And our defence is woeful!
    And Super Mario is awful!
    Will we regain our CL place?
    Or end up like Spurs in 5th!

Fans fighting in the forums!
    Oh man! Look at Toure go
    It's the freakiest show

Take a look at Moreno
    Bombing Forward
    Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever grow
    Into the best fullback in the league
    Is there life on Anfield rooooooad?

Dude,you've got too much time on your hands...get a hobby.

Not songwriting ;)

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Team v Hull ...Mignolet Manquillo Lovren Skrtle Moreno Lallan Gerrard Hendo Couthino Sterling Borini #lfc

according to Peter Phillips who is reliable & had the Real team a day before too.
    Great chance for Borini.

• Advertisement

Dude,you've got too much time on your hands...get a hobby.

Not songwriting ;)

:D

No friends. Internet only outlet. Me IRL:

can-i-come-too-o.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

MD1990 wrote: »
    Team v Hull ...Mignolet Manquillo Lovren Skrtle Moreno Lallan Gerrard Hendo Couthino Sterling Borini #lfc

according to Peter Phillips who is reliable & had the Real team a day before too.
    Great chance for Borini.

Its overdue if true.

Still don't get the Lambert hate to be honest.

Feel he has been more effective than Mario in his few appearances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

I think Borini deserves a few games to see what he can do. Balotelli might be an interesting option off the bench for a while. Would be a bonus if he grabbed a few goals that way to get confidence up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Going by the Bib theory this is the team tomorow

B0t5MoxIUAAyGUK.jpg

It worries me greatly that they are fcuking smiling after the shoite they have served up so far.
    Even more worrying for me, Henderson smiles from the neck and no the cheeks.*
    That coupled with his running issues means he is doomed to explode sooner related than later.

*edit: just noticed Hendo ain't in there. No Hendo no party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    It's the manner of the posts that's irking some. Completely writing off Rodgers and this team on the basis of a poor start as opposed to looking at the bigger picture...

If performances improved but we missed out on top four would you want Rodgers to stay or go?!?

I think the performances improving beyond the current state of affairs should be a given. As in improving from here should not be seen as improving. If he gets us back to the level of last season, that is the bare minimum he has to achieve for me.

Missing out on the top 4 would be a blow. But if displays the ability to get a better level of performance out of the team with out Suarez. That to me will prove he is the right man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

I was also thinking that if we used a 5 man mid then Suso should get some game time as he's proven good at popping up with goals.

rob316 wrote: »

That's exactly how a lot of attacking teams play, like Barca and Bayern: full backs push up, centre backs split and the deep-lying midfielder drops into defence to form a 3-man defence. His responsibility is not to cover the full-backs going forward. That falls apart when the centre backs are afraid of leaving space behind them due to a keeper stuck to his line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I think B & B deserve a start together up front.

I think the would suit each others style to be honest Borini can run the lines and Balotelli can drop deep and take defenders with him opening space for Borini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

noodler wrote: »
    Its overdue if true.

Still don't get the Lambert hate to be honest.

Feel he has been more effective than Mario in his few appearances.

Tell us how he has been more effective.

Augmerson wrote: »
    No friends. Internet only outlet. Me IRL:

can-i-come-too-o.gif

I feel bad now. Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Here's a game the seniors should watch to show what application of effort looks like

Liverpool v Real Madrid U19s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Tell us how he has been more effective.

Forced the goal at home Vs Southampton for Sturridge.

All but scored the goal against City.

But he's looked miles off the pace when he's played from the start.

He's a sub or a warm body for games we don't care about. That's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Is the league cup game next week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

He's a sub or a warm body for games we don't care about. That's it.

But that's the reason he was bought.

Then Sturridge got injured, we got stuck with Borini and ended up with Balotelli.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

jebidiah wrote: »
    I think the performances improving beyond the current state of affairs should be a given. As in improving from here should not be seen as improving. If he gets us back to the level of last season, that is the bare minimum he has to achieve for me.

Missing out on the top 4 would be a blow. But if displays the ability to get a better level of performance out of the team with out Suarez. That to me will prove he is the right man.

How on earth could he get us back to that level and miss top 4?!? Couldn't happen.

Also expecting the same level of performance when you take the 3rd best player in the world out of a team is ludicrous...

klose wrote: »

Yeah it's Tuesday, then Newcastle on Saturday and then it's CL the next week against Real on Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

That's exactly how a lot of attacking teams play, like Barca and Bayern: full backs push up, centre backs split and the deep-lying midfielder drops into defence to form a 3-man defence. His responsibility is not to cover the full-backs going forward. That falls apart when the centre backs are afraid of leaving space behind them due to a keeper stuck to his line.
    Gerrards responsibility is to slow play down through the middle to allow others to get back and setup to defend, or cover whichever CB goes wide. Both CBs look exposed out wide, Skrtel looks positively agoraphobic out wide.

Great chance for Borini.
    Why would Borini start on saturday when he wasn't even deemed good enough to be on the bench on wednesday?

Saying that, i would have no problem starting him as we could do with having 11 players on the pitch for the start of the match for a change:).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

klose wrote: »

Yep, I'm going over for it, my first game in 4 years. Have no idea what team to expect, or what type of performance to expect, but looking forward to it anyhow. At least it won't be a draw... ;)

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

jasonb wrote: »
    Yep, I'm going over for it, my first game in 4 years. Have no idea what team to expect, or what type of performance to expect, but looking forward to it anyhow. At least it won't be a draw... ;)

J.

Nailed on for a 0-0 draw now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

B0uJ5kVCQAAWtLG.jpg

Mario taking a shit on a tiny,defenceless goal in training today. What a bastard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

He had zero involvement in the goal against Southampton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Yesil trained with the first team today, is he ready for a shot in the PL? I would have thought Sinclair was the better talent no?

From what I have seen of Yesil he is quick and a lethal finisher. I would absolutely love to see a striker break into the first team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

jebidiah wrote: »

You're dreaming. I would say it's more likely that we will never get back to that level, than the likelihood of this manager being able to get us back to that level, regardless of what signings/performance improvements are made. Suarez was an incredible player who was massively influential. We are reverting to our natural level now without him available.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement