Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

B0uJ5kVCQAAWtLG.jpg

Mario taking a shit on a tiny,defenceless goal in training today. What a bastard.

Liverpool place Balotelli on "Find the goal" training regiment.

Almost there, buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

You're dreaming. I would say it's more likely that we will never get back to that level, than the likelihood of this manager being able to get us back to that level, regardless of what signings/performance improvements are made. Suarez was an incredible player who was massively influential. We are reverting to our natural level now without him available.

Would rather dream than be as pessimistic as to think we will NEVER reach last years level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

You're dreaming. I would say it's more likely that we will never get back to that level, than the likelihood of this manager being able to get us back to that level, regardless of what signings/performance improvements are made. Suarez was an incredible player who was massively influential. We are reverting to our natural level now without him available.

From one extreme to the other :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Which pubs in dublin are likely to be showing the game tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

wcarey1975 wrote: »
    Nailed on for a 0-0 draw now

Heh... I suppose I should have said at least the final result won't be a draw, someone will win on the night. I haven't got a bad record, apart from a 2-2 with Hull a few years ago, Liverpool have always won when I've gone over. I've even seen Carragher score, for us! ;)

J.

P.S. And I've seen him score for the other team too... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

MR NINE wrote: »
    Which pubs in dublin are likely to be showing the game tomorrow?

stoneboat in kimmage. upstairs is a liverpool supporters club.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

rob316 wrote: »
    Yesil trained with the first team today, is he ready for a shot in the PL? I would have thought Sinclair was the better talent no?

From what I have seen of Yesil he is quick and a lethal finisher. I would absolutely love to see a striker break into the first team.

Great to hear, have asked about him a few times on here and other lads were saying he had done his ACL and was possibly ****ed. I'd have him as a sub and give him a go, worth a punt in the League Cup surely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd say Lambert would be the starter for Swansea with one of Borini/Balo and maybe Yesil on the bench if he does well in training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Yeah, would like to see yesil get another shot myself. Was brad smith recalled to light a fire under enriques arse or what? By all accounts he was playing often and chipping in with assists?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    How on earth could he get us back to that level and miss top 4?!? Couldn't happen.

Also expecting the same level of performance when you take the 3rd best player in the world out of a team is ludicrous...

The teams around us are bound to improve on their current form as well, that's why we need to get back to the level of last year, and then push on from there to stay ahead of Arsenel and Utd

On Suarez, he was amazing and the real driving force behind last year. But he is gone and Rodgers brought in more players to fill the void. Our style will likely alter a bit, but Rodgers should at least be able to get the same level of play out of his squad.

I'm confident that he will. But if he "just" gets the same level of performance and misses top 4, that will be a bad season. Not saying he will have to go, but it won't be a good season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

jebidiah wrote: »
    The teams around us are bound to improve on their current form as well, that's why we need to get back to the level of last year, and then push on from there to stay ahead of Arsenel and Utd

On Suarez, he was amazing and the real driving force behind last year. But he is gone and Rodgers brought in more players to fill the void. Our style will likely alter a bit, but Rodgers should at least be able to get the same level of play out of his squad.

I'm confident that he will. But if he "just" gets the same level of performance and misses top 4, that will be a bad season. Not saying he will have to go, but it won't be a good season.

The talent Suarez brought made it easier for everyone else to shine. His movement gave options for others to thread killer through balls to. Their isnt the same level there now for others to link to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

jebidiah wrote: »
    but Rodgers should at least be able to get the same level of play out of his squad.

A challenge for top 4 is all we are likely to get. To expect to match last season is more than unfair.

I've slated Balotelli so much but I'd really like to see the chap score today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I've slated Balotelli so much but I'd really like to see the chap score today

Apparently he stayed behind this week for extra training & tactical instructions.

Really think some fans & Rodgers trying to make him a scapegoat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Apparently he stayed behind this week for extra training & tactical instructions.

The team's woes are not his fault, but he was a disgrace last Sunday, don't know how anyone can argue otherwise tbh. He's not a scapegoat, but he needs to make sure that he keeps his attitude in check. I don't want to see him throwing his arms up at his teammates or criminal decision making again.

The team's woes are not his fault, but he was a disgrace last Sunday, don't know how anyone can argue otherwise tbh. He's not a scapegoat, but he needs to make sure that he keeps his attitude in check. I don't want to see him throwing his arms up at his teammates or criminal decision making again.

He was a disgrace last Sunday. Agree.

However l would argue team mates of his & the manager have been more of a disgrace to date this season.

I don't think he's a scapegoat, but I also don't think he's up to the job tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

klose wrote: »
    Yeah, would like to see yesil get another shot myself. Was brad smith recalled to light a fire under enriques arse or what? By all accounts he was playing often and chipping in with assists?

Smith was recalled to deal with his contract apparently, now I have no idea why that would need to be the case unless Smith himself is angling to leave (dunno when his contract is due to expire) and therefore would make no sense to keep him on loan for another club. We'll see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

We don't need a defensive coach. Srtel, Lovren, Sakho, Johnson, Moreno all know how to defend, but they're at sixes-and-sevens because Mignolet doesn't impose himself in the area.

As much as Henderson deserves the VC, what I would have given for a beast of a centre half to come in and lead the team. City and Chelsea both have the right idea

• Advertisement

However l would argue team mates of his & the manager have been more of a disgrace to date this season.

Tactically it's not happening and Rodgers has to take it on the chin. He'll turn it around though, I'm sure of that.

The players as a unit are not playing the same intensity and aggressiveness as last season. Maybe it's down to confidence but I'll say this; Stevie G and Johnson laughing and joking with Ronaldo at 1-0 really pissed me off, and it makes me think they all just need a kick up in the hole. Dropping some heads would be a start.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

What I'd give to sign a young Sami Hypia now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Really? He is on very front page & every pundit in England is criticising him heavily. Also Rodgers has he was a last resort signing & that he will look at a new striker in Jan if things don't improve.
    No doubt about it he's a scapegoat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Oh he's being used to cover up Mignolet and the defences deficiencies no doubt about that. Definitely not up to the job of leading the line for us though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I think saying the manager has been a disgrace is a disgrace to be honest

I think saying the manager has been a disgrace is a disgrace to be honest

Of course you do

No one should or really could argue the performances of Rodgers or any of the coaches at the club or anyone near our defence/goalkeeper this season have been anything other than a disgrace

Of course you do

I think the term "disgrace" should be reserved for players/managers/officials who do not care, who aren't professional, who disrespect the club, who mess about during the Hillsborough memorial service, who talk to the Sun.

Not for a manager who has just given us probably our best league season in over 20 years, who hasn't disrespected the club, and who I'm sure is trying everything he can to help us regain form. We are joint 4th, don't forget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

5live wrote: »
    Rush and Barnes are the two former players I trust to talk sense and not follow the media script.

• Advertisement

I think the term "disgrace" should be reserved for players/managers/officials who do not care, who aren't professional, who disrespect the club, who mess about during the Hillsborough memorial service, who talk to the Sun.

Not for a manager who has just given us probably our best league season in over 20 years, who hasn't disrespected the club, and who I'm sure is trying everything he can to help us regain form. We are joint 4th, don't forget.

If I said manager has been appalling, is that better? :confused:

You're really just arguing semantics here for no reason

If I said manager has been appalling, is that better? :confused:

You're really just arguing semantics here for no reason

I think some of the criticism levelled at the manager is unwarranted.

We were playing pretty poorly at this stage last season too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

"Was he playing centre half?” or words to this effect were what Rodgers said this week after the Madrid match. It's easy for you to state certain things and forget others just to fit your anti-Rodgers propaganda. Rodgers has publicly slated his defence and said they need to do better. I don't see how this is making Ballotelli the scapegoat?

Balotelli by your own admission was a disgrace last weekend. His lack of effort & attitiude on Wednesday were poor as well. If Ballotelli is a scapegoat it's his own doing. Every 'top' forward is in line for criticism especially someone as controversial as Ballotelli.

I just read an excerpt of Aguero's book in The Mirror on Balotelli, brilliant stuff! He's off his box (Mario that is).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

"Was he playing centre half?” or words to this effect were what Rodgers said this week after the Madrid match. It's easy for you to state certain things and forget others just to fit your anti-Rodgers propaganda. Rodgers has publicly slated his defence and said they need to do better. I don't see how this is making Ballotelli the scapegoat?

Balotelli by your own admission was a disgrace last weekend. His lack of effort & attitiude on Wednesday were poor as well. If Ballotelli is a scapegoat it's his own doing. Every 'top' forward is in line for criticism especially someone as controversial as Ballotelli.

Now don't get me wrong, the level of the performance from Ballo against was Madrid was still nowhere near the required level, but I actually thought it was his best 45 mins for us yet! He was linking up with Sterling well, nice ball in for Allen etc. It seemed he was trying more to play a team role!

We are definitely going to lose today, I can feel it. And the bad streams will make it ten times worse.

• Advertisement

I think some of the criticism levelled at the manager is unwarranted.

We were playing pretty poorly at this stage last season too

Quite frankly considering performances this season & the fact there is no sign;

1) the manager is actually addressing the issues we're having

2) that we're improving in any way

...Rodgers is probably deserving of more criticism than he has gotten to date.

The fact you think the relatively limited criticism he has gotten has been unwarranted is borderline embarrassing.

Have you seen Rodgers comments to the media about Ballotelli's signing? You seen anything similar from him about Lovren or Sakho?

I presume you're aware yesterday that he scoffed at the notion of bringing in a defensive coach saying it wasn't needed, all that was required was some coaching but that he didn't have the time with CL commitments :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

We are definitely going to lose today, I can feel it. And the bad streams will make it ten times worse.

It will be ok, we lost against Hull last season.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    It will be ok, we lost against Hull last season.

Not at home we didn't.

Quite frankly considering performances this season & the fact there is no sign;

1) the manager is actually addressing the issues we're having

2) that we're improving in any way

...Rodgers is probably deserving of more criticism than he has gotten to date.

The fact you think the relatively limited criticism he has gotten has been unwarranted is borderline embarrassing.

We are going through a very ropey patch of form. That kind of thing happens in football. All our rivals (United, Spurs, Everton, Arsenal) are going through the same or worse.

You have to accept that the number of new signings we have made will mean that it will probably take time to click.

That doesn't excuse our defensive frailties, but our biggest problems this season have been at the other end of the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Tactically it's not happening and Rodgers has to take it on the chin. He'll turn it around though, I'm sure of that.

The players as a unit are not playing the same intensity and aggressiveness as last season. Maybe it's down to confidence but I'll say this; Stevie G and Johnson laughing and joking with Ronaldo at 1-0 really pissed me off, and it makes me think they all just need a kick up in the hole. Dropping some heads would be a start.

Stevie g and Johnson laughing and joking is a non event it means nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

1-0, or 2-1 Hull.

That doesn't excuse our defensive frailties, but our biggest problems this season have been at the other end of the pitch.

Just to clarify, you don't think our defence has been our biggest issue this year? :confused:

Just to clarify, you don't think our defence has been our biggest issue this year? :confused:

Our attack has been at least as bad and has cost us at least as many points, probably more. Given how bad our defense has been, that's saying something.

There is massive room for improvement in all areas of the pitch.

Our attack has been at least as bad and has cost us at least as many points, probably more. Given how bad our defense has been, that's saying something.

This is like how last season you were convinced the defence was fine & it was more fire power that was needed :rolleyes:

Needless to say, you were wrong then & you're wrong now. Getting our defence right needs to be a priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Not at home we didn't.

But our other fixtures or results haven't corresponded with last season, yet everything is going to be ok because we were supposedly still playing bad at this point last year.

This is like how last season you were convinced the defence was fine & it was more fire power that was needed :rolleyes:

Needless to say, you were wrong then & you're wrong now. Getting our defence right needs to be a priority.

How was I wrong?

I said last season and I say now that scoring goals, and lots of goals is the one surefire way to finish in the top places in the league. It's an approach that United used successfully for years, its an approach we used last season. Attack is more important than defense in my opinion.

Having said that, I don't think the defense is fine and I doubt I said that last season either. Rodgers has to get the defense right with the personnel he has though, so I wouldn't be buying new defenders in January or anything like that. Lovren and Sakho are good defenders and if he can't create a functioning (not necessarily a great defense, just a functioning one) defense out of them then you'd wonder if he ever will.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    But our other fixtures or results haven't corresponded with last season, yet everything is going to be ok because we were supposedly still playing bad at this point last year.

When did I say everything was fine?

Though we actually had a very friendly start to the season last year and it's been a little harder this year.

Do you think we were playing well at this time last season? Do you not agree there have been numerous times under Rodgers were we have looked like a very ordinary team, often for stretches of games. We have come through them before and there is no reason to think we won't this time. I think last season created an expectation (performance-wise) that we are going to struggle to meet. I think we need to take a look at our circumstances, look at the teams around us and realise that things aren't that bad, even though we do have big problems in certain areas of the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

That's nonsense, if our attack doesn't function and our defence does its job the worst we can do is get a nil all draw. If our defence doesn't work then we have West Ham, Villa, Madrid, QPR...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

That's nonsense, if our attack doesn't function and our defence does its job the worst we can do is get a nil all draw. If our defence doesn't work then we have West Ham, Villa, Madrid, QPR...

The problem with that scenario is that the defence can play perfectly for 90-92 minutes but play bad for 1 minute and lose the game 1-0. Whereas the opposite is true with the attack. Ideally fix both at the same time or at least fix the attack and work on damage limitation for the defence whilst working a solution.

W

How was I wrong?

You were wrong because our defence cost us the league title last year. Our goal scoring was fine, but a lack of solidity at the back undid us in the end.
    I said last season and I say now that scoring goals, and lots of goals is the one surefire way to finish in the top places in the league. It's an approach that United used successfully for years, its an approach we used last season. Attack is more important than defense in my opinion.

Utd's league success has been built of solid foundations. Solid defences. Solid midfields. Ferguson & everyone involved at Utd over the years have said as much. Goals win games, defences win titles is his regular catchphrase I believe.

Attack being more important than defence is your opinion solely because goals are the glamorous part of the game & you're fickle like that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement