Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

That's nonsense, if our attack doesn't function and our defence does its job the worst we can do is get a nil all draw. If our defence doesn't work then we have West Ham, Villa, Madrid, QPR...

If our attack does work then those draws and defeats are turned into wins, even if we concede

3 points for a win vs 1 point for a draw. It's much more important to attack well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

If our attack does work then those draws and defeats are turned into wins, even if we concede

3 points for a win vs 1 point for a draw. It's much more important to attack well

Both are important. But for 2 years our defence has been shambolic & throughout that time you've said our focus should be on getting more from our attack. Silliness.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    You were wrong because our defence cost us the league title last year. Our goal scoring was fine, but a lack of solidity at the back undid us in the end.

Utd's league success has been built of solid foundations. Solid defences. Solid midfields. Ferguson & everyone involved at Utd over the years have said as much. Goals win games, defences win titles is his regular catchphrase I believe.

Attack being more important than defence is your opinion solely because goals are the glamorous part of the game & you're fickle like that.

Our defense did not cost us the league title. A slip from Gerrard in a game we had utterly controlled followed by our inability to score cost us the league. Amazing that line is still being trotted out.

Regarding United, in the early fergie days yes, but United haven't had a midfield for a decade and they've not always had a defense. They have however always been willing to risk one point to earn three and more often than not that approach paid off

As for your last paragraph, lol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Our defense did not cost us the league title. A slip from Gerrard in a game we had utterly controlled followed by our inability to score cost us the league. Amazing that line is still being trotted out.

Regarding United, in the early fergie days yes, but United haven't had a midfield for a decade and they've not always had a defense. They have however always been willing to risk one point to earn three and more often than not that approach paid off

As for your last paragraph, lol.

Very harsh to say Gerrard cost us the title! What about Kolo's brain fart against WBA? Hendo's red card against City? The loss to Hull? To blame one individual for costing us the league is wrong!

Very harsh to say Gerrard cost us the title! What about Kolo's brain fart against WBA? Hendo's red card against City? The loss to Hull? To blame one individual for costing us the league is wrong!

Not blaming Gerrard. He was one of our best players last season and proved a lot of people, myself included, wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Sorry but no.... 1 incident did not cost the title

If that's the case

Mignolet v Man City,Kolo v WBA, the team v Hull , Rodgers 1st half tactical naivety v Villa. Those last 10 mins v Palace

should all be pointed to

If the defence that leaked 50 goals last season had held in those games the Chelsea result would not have mattered

Sorry but no.... 1 incident did not cost the title

If that's the case

Mignolet v Man City,Kolo v WBA, the team v Hull , Rodgers 1st half tactical naivety v Villa. Those last 10 mins v Palace

should all be pointed to

If the defence that leaked 50 goals last season had held in those games the Chelsea result would not have mattered

Losing to Chelsea cost us the league, end of story. It was in our hands and within our grasp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Losing to Chelsea cost us the league, end of story. It was in our hands and within our grasp

Rodgers tactical naivety has to be called into question in that game big time along with plenty of other games.

Then you can look at Gerrards slip the sloppy defending etc etc.

• Advertisement

Rodgers tactical naivety has to be called into question in that game big time along with plenty of other games.

Then you can look at Gerrards slip the sloppy defending etc etc.

Not really sure how we could have played that game differently to be honest. We weren't gung ho and I think sitting back and inviting pressure would have been asking for trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Liverpool had the 8th best defence in the league last season I think. Unless I'm mistaken it is extremely rare for such a relatively poor defence to win a title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

When did I say everything was fine?

Though we actually had a very friendly start to the season last year and it's been a little harder this year.

Not really much difference between them.
    Do you think we were playing well at this time last season? Do you not agree there have been numerous times under Rodgers were we have looked like a very ordinary team, often for stretches of games. We have come through them before and there is no reason to think we won't this time.

I don't remember the ins and outs of past season tbh. Before Suarez came back we scraped a couple of 1-0's which would suggest that the defense were at least better if not playing well. Likewise once he came back we were scoring regularly which would be better than this season. I only said the other day that our games last season followed a pattern; blitz them for the opening 20 minutes, be on the back foot til half time, then 'The Rodgers' would adjust things at half time, but he seems to have lost the ability to do this

I think last season created an expectation (performance-wise) that we are going to struggle to meet. I think we need to take a look at our circumstances, look at the teams around us and realise that things aren't that bad, even though we do have big problems in certain areas of the team.

Yep, last season created unrealistic expectations and there was little chance of them being recreated when we lost the reason for him and failed to come close to replacing him. And feeling better about our current state because of how things are at other clubs isn't a great position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Pro. F wrote: »
    Liverpool had the 8th best defence in the league last season I think. Unless I'm mistaken it is extremely rare for such a relatively poor defence to win a title.

This about sums it up.

To put it in context further, Chelsea conceded only 27 goals - nearly half. City scored 1 goal more and conceded 13 less. Chelsea only scored 71 goals if you are curious.

The best teams are pretty well balanced between defence and offence. We are misbalanced and while it leads to exciting football, we likely won't win anything of significance - maybe as a once off.

Finally, it is absurd boiling down not winning the league to one match. That match is only of significant because it highlighted why we weren't ready to be Champions yet - Rogers included.

To go back 12 months, I think you will see that I argued that we needed to add even more goals to our team and we would finish top 4. You can attack your way to 4th by rolling over the weaker teams. I was right in this case. I wasn't expecting a league challenge.

To go back 12 months, I think you will see that I argued that we needed to add even more goals to our team and we would finish top 4. You can attack your way to 4th by rolling over the weaker teams. I was right in this case. I wasn't expecting a league challenge.

You could argue that our attacking prowess got us into the position whereby we were in with a chance of wining the league but that our defence is ultimately the reason why we failed - that and some tactical decisions which contributed to our poor defence.

• Advertisement

You could argue that our attacking prowess got us into the position whereby we were in with a chance of wining the league but that our defence is ultimately the reason why we failed - that and some tactical decisions which contributed to our poor defence.

Our attack got us into the position were the league was in our own hands with 3 games to go. I know you say it's absurd, but the league was ultimately lost from that stage. The Chelsea game was the first of 3 cup finals. And I'd argue that our attack cost us in that game.

Overall, our defense wasn't good enough last season, of course it wasn't. If we want to become a great team we will have to sort it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Talisman wrote: »
    Rush and Barnes are the two former players I trust to talk sense and not follow the media script.
    The local supporters club are bringing Barnes for Q&A at the end of next of next month. Looking forward to it:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I just read an excerpt of Aguero's book in The Mirror on Balotelli, brilliant stuff! He's off his box (Mario that is).
    'Last season I was injured and in the stands when we played Barcelona in the Champions League.
    My phone went off. I didn’t recognise the number but I answered it and heard, "Hey! It’s Mario! How’s it going d*******? Come on City, come on City!" – and then he just hung up!'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2806989/Sergio-Aguero-reveals-crazy-Mario-Balotelli-team-mate-including-striker-saying-F-police.html#ixzz3H9sVomIe
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

It's so stupid but it's so funny :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

City being beat 1-0, Song having a fine game in midfield for the Hammers. To think we could have gotten him for sweet f'all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

Is the hull game on tv?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Picking the 10 most successful transfers out of the ~600 that took place in the top leagues over the summer, and saying 'we should have done that one' is kind of pointless and will just end up wrecking your head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Just seen this on PPs facebook.

"Got a Balotelli #LFC shirt? Bring it to our swapshop outside Anfield and get a new shirt you actually want!"

10441370_10152806195564914_2479960238983397509_n.jpg?oh=ea9a1c28854eb52dd88b2a3382ec5ec0&oe=54E3BF89

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I really must either close my account or have a massive accu win! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Enner Valencia is just the type of striker we could do with. Been very impressive at West Ham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Borini not starting at all, not even on the bench!!

Our attack got us into the position were the league was in our own hands with 3 games to go. I know you say it's absurd, but the league was ultimately lost from that stage. The Chelsea game was the first of 3 cup finals. And I'd argue that our attack cost us in that game.

Overall, our defense wasn't good enough last season, of course it wasn't. If we want to become a great team we will have to sort it.

It was Chelsea! Managed by Jose!

You never go into a match like that banking on the the win. It you win, then happy days but you are always going to be happy to come out of that with a point.

Our tactics cost us that match. We chased a game that we didn't need to. That one is with Rogers.

The countless matches where we threw away points stupidly through defensive errors and own goals are why we really didn't win it.

The league is won over 38 match. The last 3 matches are where you finally win the league, not where you lose it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Well it looks like Lucas is gone. Yet another squad omission.

Pity he never recovered after the injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Well it looks like Lucas is gone. Yet another squad omission.

Pity he never recovered after the injury.

Enrique too.

Strange not seeing hendo start, should be fielding a decent team Tuesday so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Very unlike Paddy Power to advertise like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

klose wrote: »
    Enrique too.

Strange not seeing hendo start, should be fielding a decent team Tuesday so.

I'd say he's hoping Hendo won't be needed today or midweek.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Balo on his own again. Gonna be a long game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Rodgers is not learning

If Hull are up for this it's gonna be a long day :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Alex Song absolutely bossing Manchester City's midfield. Would have loved to see us go for him in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Rodgers is not learning

If Hull are up for this it's gonna be a long day :(

Johnson isint starting so that's something I guess

Picking the 10 most successful transfers out of the ~600 that took place in the top leagues over the summer, and saying 'we should have done that one' is kind of pointless and will just end up wrecking your head.

Pointless exercise.

Someone else said it already. The players that we have bought will likely work out well in time - circa 24 to 36 months time.

The problem is that that isn't what we needed relative to where we were.

We needed to replace a tireless 30 goal a season striker in order to stand still. We needed to add 4/5 players that would strengthen the squad in order to head off impact of the additional CL fixtures and if we wanted to improve on last season, we needed to add 2/3 first team players that would improve the first team.

Finally, we needed to improve our defensive organisation and there needed to be a brave decision on Gerrard.

We haven't replaced Suarez and this has led us to being over dependent on Sturridge. Losing Suarez has put us majorly on the back foot. Sturridge being injured has us left clueless.

The players that we bought have partially addressed the 4/5 squad players that we needed.

Lallana and Moreno have arguably been the players that improved our first team. Bit of a stretch but I think we will be confident of that in a matter of weeks.

Our defence has gotten worse and it seems to get worse with every player Rogers adds to the mix.

BR has also shown that he is unwilling to make any sort of decision on Gerrard - seems to have decided to drive him into the ground (as you would with an old car when you know it won't pass the next NCT).

Things are looking a little bleak and unless those 5 or 6 squad signings improve dramatically, we will probably finish this season wondering why we spent a lot of money on the players that we did.

Only one person accountable for that unfortunately.

It was Chelsea! Managed by Jose!

You never go into a match like that banking on the the win. It you win, then happy days but you are always going to be happy to come out of that with a point.

Our tactics cost us that match. We chased a game that we didn't need to. That one is with Rogers.

The countless matches where we threw away points stupidly throw defensive errors and own goals are why we really didn't win it.

The league is over 38 match. The last 3 matches are where you win the league, not where you lose it.

We didn't "chase the win". We only did that when we were one down. Watch that match again. We weren't stretched, we weren't caught on the break. We attacked in a reasonably controlled way. What more can we do? Sit back let Chelsea have the ball?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

West Ham result not looking as bad now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Alex Song absolutely bossing Manchester City's midfield. Would have loved to see us go for him in the summer.

Alex Song is very lazy. It's a testament to how lazy Toure is that Song is outworking him.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

No stream requests folks, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Lazar Markovic was nominated for the European U21 Golden Boy Award.

From what Ive seen of him so far hes been dogsh*t for us and looks as if we've been had by Benfica. He looked good on his debut against City but faded out of the game, from what Ive seen since I think hes been very poor. His first touch is awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Need a break from watching us play and have no interest in looking for a live stream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Lazar Markovic was nominated for the European U21 Golden Boy Award.

From what Ive seen of him so far hes been dogsh*t for us and looks as if we've been had by Benfica. He looked good on his debut against City but faded out of the game, from what Ive seen since I think hes been very poor. His first touch is awful

Well he has only played 390 mins in 7 appearances in a brand new team and brand new league. He is only 20 years of age. So...i guess what I'm getting at is, you and people like you should cut the kid a bit of slack and give him some time.

Is persisting with one up front stubbornness or stupidity?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Is persisting with one up front stubbornness or stupidity?

Well, if its Lambert comin on might as well persist with 1 up top - where is Borini gone not even on the bench.

Well, if its Lambert comin on might as well persist with 1 up top - where is Borini gone not even on the bench.

'The Rodgers' is obviously pi*sed off he didn't move when he wanted him to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

NukaCola wrote: »
    Well he has only played 390 mins in 7 appearances in a brand new team and brand new league. He is only 20 years of age. So...i guess what I'm getting at is, you and people like you should cut the kid a bit of slack and give him some time.

You either have it or you dont. Thus far the lad doesnt seem to have it im afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

I wonder what Borini must have done to Piss BR this Bad, that he couldn't even make the Bench?

Probably called him Gerrard's Lover or something.

On a Serious Note, it's so Depressing watching us right now. Not only do we lack Tempo, we also don't look like Scoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

You either have it or you dont. Thus far the lad doesnt seem to have it im afraid

You are completely clueless. Dont respond to this post. I have no interest in debating on wether Markovic "has it or not" with someone who has seen **** all of him play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Some of the best players in the Epl took at least 12 months to settle. He hasn't played enough games for the above to be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Real Madrid: Casillas; Carvajal, Pepe, Ramos, Marcelo; Kroos, Modric, Isco; Rodriguez, Ronaldo; Benzema.
    Barcelona: Bravo; Mathieu, Pique, Mascherano, Alves; Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta; Neymar, Messi, Suarez.

Would make ye sit back and laugh ( or cry )

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement