Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    I agree we need a top quality alternative in the case of a meltdown like we've had over the last few weeks. Who do you suggest?

Thats the big question. Also, buying in January is tricky as fee's etc can be inflated. The ideal person would be someone who isn't just "one for the future", has pace, good close control, has a good goal per game ratio and can fit into our system with minimal fuss. Doesn't need to be a star name or anything. Just competent and professional.

I dont have the answer off the top of my head but I'd be expecting our scouts and transfer team to have an answer. If they cant get a player in for decent money, then we need a new scouting network and negotiators. The excuses are getting old at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

rob316 wrote: »
    Suarez with the assist :( miss that guy

I'm watching the game and he's already making those runs that has the defenders ****ting their pants. Chap hasn't missed a beat.

Mario was always like this, he was played to his strengths though ie not a lone striker, which made him more effective. He is not a goal scoring machine but a good player to have as an alternative.

As a third striker he is handy to have. An alternative that wont be relied on too heavily. We need a strike partner that can step in for Mr Daniel Glass and play well with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

DrumSteve wrote: »
    How?

He was played on his own up top, played much better when given support.

Doesn't matter a siht who you play with he's had 5/6 stone wall chances now and he's failed everytime

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

NukaCola wrote: »
    Thats the big question. Also, buying in January is tricky as fee's etc can be inflated. The ideal person would be someone who isn't just "one for the future", has pace, good close control, has a good goal per game ratio and can fit into our system with minimal fuss. Doesn't need to be a star name or anything. Just competent and professional.

I dont have the answer off the top of my head but I'd be expecting our scouts and transfer team to have an answer. If they cant get a player in for decent money, then we need a new scouting network and negotiators. The excuses are getting old at this stage.

The ideal striker wont be gotten next January imo. The profile of player wasnt bought last summer after Suarez's departure when needed.

Its going to be tougher get that player in next Jan. Best case scenario is probably another punt.

• Advertisement

Hidalgo wrote: »
    The ideal striker wont be gotten next January imo. The profile of player wasnt bought last summer after Suarez's departure when needed.

Its going to be tougher get that player in next Jan. Best case scenario is probably another punt.

Probably not. Suarez was bought in a Jan transfer window so we could always hope :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Our whole transfer policy just needs to change to be honest. How is it that year after year the same mistakes are made, we either sign duds, take a gamble on young players that may or not be a success or else we sign players that we dont need and dont address the areas that actually need strengthening.

And it has been the case for the last 25 years since we last won the title. Surely not every person that has come in and out of the club in those years have been that incompetent to see this trend emerging. Probably not and I think its just a stubborn refusal to buy top level players and were trying to win in ways that just arent possible and continue to persist on doing so. Were wasting far too much time and money on signing players that are simply a gamble and its more or less been the same for so many years. Its as if we dont want to win the title or something. Its just ridiculous and a new transfer policy needs to be adopted, we dont have to abandon the signing of younger players but we certainly need to sign players that we need even if they do come at a premium. We havent done that since we won the title last, its been failure after failure with the odd gem thrown in like Suarez, Torres, Alonso and these guys.

Again Balotelli was only signed because he was cheap and had he been at the top of his form as he is capable of we wouldnt have signed him. Another example of taking shortcuts and chasing lost causes(Not a dig at Balotelli by the way)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Honestly, a lot of the time you are better off spending money on proven quality, even if they are old, rather than pissing away money on prospects that more than likely will never justify their price. A fine example of this would be Mathieu for Barca, nearly 31 yet has been outstanding thus far and if they get three good seasons out of him, he will have been more than worth his price tag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Our whole transfer policy just needs to change to be honest. How is it that year after year the same mistakes are made, we either sign duds, take a gamble on young players that may or not be a success

Blame the current owners & "money ball" sports economics.
    we sign players that we dont need and dont address the areas that actually need strengthening.

Blame the "transfer committee" and ultimately - Rodgers*

* who has an uncanny knack of escaping criticism and deflecting attention away from himself. Not really what you want in a leader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

NukaCola wrote: »
    Probably not. Suarez was bought in a Jan transfer window so we could always hope :D

Bring 'LOUIE' home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Suarez off after 69 minutes.
    Did well IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

BBC: Before the game, Liverpool fans protested about the rising costs of watching football at Anfield

_78532490_liverpoolvhullprotest.jpg

BBC;
    Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers:
    "Performance wise we were excellent, particularly in the second half where we were outstanding.
    "After a tough game in midweek it was a great effort from the players and we deserved to win the game. I thought it was just a matter of time until we scored, we created some opportunities and had 19 shots at goal. I can't ask for any more from the players, they've given everything."

On Mario Balotelli's last-minute chance, Rodgers added:
    "He will be disappointed with that. The cross came in, it was a perfect ball, he just opened his foot up too far and the chance was gone."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Rodgers can't seriously be happy with the performance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Southampton in second ( we bought half their team ) , Sánchez ( whom we should have went for ) scoring for fun . We fuc*kin can't even beat the mighty Hull City at home in our famous stadium , The team is woeful .There was no cohesion between the team , just a piss poor side .

Newcastle v Liverpool , Newcastle are 3rd from bottom , How many fear a defeat away to them . Just shows how far we have dropped in form and standard , Can't wait for rarnes to give us his match report ! Anfield was so quiet today at times.

Something has to give , this cannot continue !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Those quotes from Rodgers :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Stargate wrote: »
    Southampton in second ( we bought half their team ) , Sánchez ( whom we should have went for ) scoring for fun . We fuc*kin can't even beat the mighty Hull City at home in our famous stadium , The team is woeful .There was no cohesion between the team , just a piss poor side .

Newcastle v Liverpool , Newcastle are 3rd from bottom , How many fear a defeat away to them . Just shows how far we have dropped in form and standard , Can't wait for rarnes to give us his match report ! Anfield was so quiet today at times.

We tried for sanchez he choose arsenal.

Performance second half was good, just toothless up top. As i said, with the squad we have we should be beating Hull.

Bony with 2 more goals today.

Sure he isn't good enough for us and can't play in a attacking side.

Just as well we aren't an attacking side this season so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Has Rodgers ever publicly criticised the team/players? Seems to rather mollycoddle em instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

klose wrote: »
    Has Rodgers ever publicly criticised the team/players? Seems to rather mollycoddle em instead.

Trying to keep the spirit up.

I'm not knee jerking about this time. Balo looked a lot better with some support. I'm.hoping Rodgers recognised this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Balotelli played better but I did not get to see his miss at the end of the match because I had to watch the match on a dodgy internet stream.

Setanta are a joke why pay €21.99 to watch Palace and West Brom when Arsenal and Liverpool were playing at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Missed the game... How bad was it?

Can only assume confidence must be shot in the squad if Rodgers is saying stuff like that post match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

martyos121 wrote: »
    Suarez off after 69 minutes.
    Did well IMO.

As I said earlier, he didn't miss a beat. The chap is relentless.

Knex. wrote: »
    Missed the game... How bad was it?

Can only assume confidence must be shot in the squad if Rodgers is saying stuff like that post match.

They actually weren't too bad and created enough chances to win the game but just lacked that cutting edge up front.

I think Rodgers got it wrong with his starting XI as he went with Can and Allen in the middle and there isn't enough creativity between them, Rodgers also should of made the changes earlier as it was clear as day that Hull were not up to much and Henderson or Couthino should of been put on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Has anyone got a video clip of the last second chance we had? - there seems to be a divide in opinion on it; some saying it was a sitter, others saying he wouldn't have scored even if he connected properly anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Get money from qualifying for the CL knockout = get Cavani.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

donfers wrote: »
    Has anyone got a video clip of the last second chance we had? - there seems to be a divide in opinion on it; some saying it was a sitter, others saying he wouldn't have scored even if he connected properly anyway

I remember it clearly and barring some magical reworking of physics and gravity it was not going to go in. It was a good chance but the keeper was all over it.

• Advertisement

Nerdlingr wrote: »

Sell Lucas and Borini as it seems it's over for both of them and add Schneiderlin to the list.

Drop Gerrard for Schneiderlin as this season even his set peices aren't covering for his failings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Only thing i got from the game is i'd like to see Coutinho have a few consecutive starts ... he is our best playmaker on the ball and needs to be more involved. The game was crying out for him and he did more when he came on than the other 3 mods combined.

I know he's been poor in some games, but still i'd give him more starts than he's been getting. Develop him.

Augmerson wrote: »
    I remember it clearly and barring some magical reworking of physics and gravity it was not going to go in. It was a good chance but the keeper was all over it.

I dont know about that just watched a vine and imo I think he could of met the ball a little earlier and guided it in at the near post. check your pm.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I dont know about that just watched a vine and imo I think he could of met the ball a little earlier and guided it in at the near post. check your pm.

From the angle in that vine (thanks for that) it actually looks like either it bounces off the back of Mario's leg (in which case he fluffed it) or the defender got a nick on it. Not sure the keeper had a touch.

1 up front has to end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Stargate wrote: »

We tried for sanchez he choose arsenal.

Yip i know that , what i meant was we tried , but how hard did we try ? Bit like the team at present really .

Game of 2 halves.

First half was awful, so bad. No urgency,

2nd half was much better, we just lacked the killer instinct in front of goal.

The game changed when we went 2 up top and Coutinho came on. Lambert did really well, and Coutinho was excellent. We have to stay with 2 up top imo.

Manquillo was awful, consistently caught out of position.

Allen wasn't too great either I thought, he had some decent moments but gave the ball away a few times.

I've given Ballotelli plenty of stick but he did everything bar score. I haven't seen the chance at the end on TV yet but from my view it looked like a miss from him. Not sure did a defender get a toe on it. At the final whistle Ballotelli was on his hunkers for 3 or 4 mins. He looked devastated.

Also thought we had a pen turned down but again didn't see it on tv yet.

We got a clean sheet which is good but if Hull were just a bit more adventurous they could have scored. Our fullbacks are caught out so much it's not funny.

Overall gotta be disappointed with a draw at home.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Its pretty simple.

First half. One striker. Shocking.

Second half. Two strikers. Much better.

I didn't see any of the game but going from what I've read here and on the bbc website things weren't at all too bad when Lambert came on :)

Now I believe we may see a corner being turned...

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers: "Performance wise we were excellent, particularly in the second half where we were outstanding."

20 Lallana (Lambert - 61' )

(quote and time of sub from...... http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29670447

Rodgers started Gerrard in an advanced role against QPR on the back of a mildly impressive 10/15 minute spell against West Brom, I think that he'll start Lambert and Balotelli on the back of what went on today :)

Now, we may need to wait until Saturday to see it as I reckon Borini might get a run out against Swansea, or Rodgers may decide the Cup game is ideal to see more of Lambert and Balotelli.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Absolutely have to start Balotelli midweek. He desperately needs a goal, no doubt he is feeling the pressure big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Augeo wrote: »
    I didn't see any of the game but going from what I've read here and on the bbc website things weren't at all too bad when Lambert came on :)

Now I believe we may see a corner being turned...

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers: "Performance wise we were excellent, particularly in the second half where we were outstanding."

20 Lallana (Lambert - 61' )

(quote and time of sub from...... http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29670447

Rodgers started Gerrard in an advanced role against QPR on the back of a mildly impressive 10/15 minute spell against West Brom, I think that he'll start Lambert and Balotelli on the back of what went on today :)

Now, we may need to wait until Saturday to see it as I reckon Borini might get a run out against Swansea, or Rodgers may decide the Cup game is ideal to see more of Lambert and Balotelli.

What a quote that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I can't believe people still talk about our defence like it's the problem.

• Advertisement

This little master has to start from now on.
    https://vine.co/v/OhFPLMuD3JF

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Nerdlingr wrote: »

You realise that getting to knockout stage is worth €3.5 million or so.. that's not buying a Cavani

What a quote that is.

To be fair he's probably happy with the clean sheet and maybe sees the error on his part of playing Balotelli up front on his own. Balotelli came out publicly and said it wasn't his cup of tea but he was trying.

I was keen to see Lambert playing with Balotelli, I think things can be overthought, what should and shouldn't work, just play them both and see is it an option, the 30 mins today suggests (apparently) it's worth trying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Just noticing how terrible BVB have started in Germany puts our season atm in perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Just noticing how terrible BVB have started in Germany puts our season atm in perspective.

Klopp out.

_78532490_liverpoolvhullprotest.jpg

Fans pissed off at rising ticket prices.

Level with Arsenal, close to Man City after them taking 3 points against us. We are hanging in there :)

Charlie19 wrote: »
    This little master has to start from now on.
    https://vine.co/v/OhFPLMuD3JF

Then he passed it straight to the opposition. Still very inconsistent but should be starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Coutinho was having a horrible time before he got dropped to the bench, hopefully it's done him well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

djPSB wrote: »
    Klopp out.

Klopp in.

;-)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement