Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

kryogen wrote: »
    I get what your saying, simply pointing out that it is a natural thing to happen after a season such as last. Expectations and reality don't always match up. People expect you to keep pushing on, to at least consolidate, and to be perfectly honest finishing in the top four again would achieve that consolidation in my opinion, it will be much tougher this time around.

At the end of last season, I posted that we should immediately forget that we were contenders and focus on securing that top 4 position for seasons to come.

Any title run beyond that point is just a bonus - certainly shouldn't be an expectation.

We are doing just about enough to stay in contention for top 4. I expect that we will improve somewhat and maybe even make 3rd place a competition.

My worry is that we keep stumbling along and while we might still be in contention, it won't have been done with any control. I also fear getting torn apart a few more times this season.

What happens then becomes the question. BR has earned trust and time but if the performances continue to stagnate, something has to change - not necessarily him either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Swansea (h) LC
    Newcastle (a) EPL
    Real Madrid (a) CL
    Chelsea (h) EPL
    Crystal Palace (a) EPL
    Ludogorets (a) CL
    Stoke City (h) EPL
    Leicester City (a) EPL
    Sunderland (h) EPL
    Basel (h) CL
    Man Utd (a) EPL
    Arsenal (h) EPL

Christmas

Last season we were top of the table while tucking into the Turkey. This year our relevant season could be over and serious questions being asked over Rodger's long term viability at the club.

Make no mistake about it - we're in the ****.

The FA cup doesn't start until January

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Could these poor performances be a hang up from how close they got last season?

It looks like a lot of players have lost heart or they don't believe anymore and I wonder how much that is because of emotional drain. Anybody in that position would find it hard to start all over with the same enthusiasm, imo.

Being an arsenal fan your well used to seeing teams not able to motivate themselves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

kryogen wrote: »
    I get what your saying, simply pointing out that it is a natural thing to happen after a season such as last. Expectations and reality don't always match up. People expect you to keep pushing on, to at least consolidate, and to be perfectly honest finishing in the top four again would achieve that consolidation in my opinion, it will be much tougher this time around.
    It's a fair argument, but a certain Brendan Rodgers has done nothing to manage the expectation level this season.

A while ago he was thrown a life line by the media in a press conference by a suggestion that because of the large influx of players and the departure of a star player, the club would be in for a transitional season and the team would not be at the same level as last season.

Instead of agreeing with the journalist who asked the question, Rodgers delivered the ingenious answer that the former Southampton players all played in a similar setup to Liverpool so they would transition quickly. Every player signed is supposedly meticulously researched so that they are a good fit as a player on the pitch and their personality to adapt to the culture off of it. Liverpool 2014/15 would not be like Tottenham 2013/14, because Brendan Rodgers and his staff have done their homework.

In case you missed the press release, Brendan Rodgers is the smartest man in football, and Liverpool are very lucky that he signed a long term contract last season.

The truth is Brendan Rodgers talks more than his fair share of BS at times and rather than challenge him, the media swallow it, regurgitate it and feed it to the fans.

Last season he tried to manage expectations some what - if Chelsea were a little horse then Liverpool are a Chihuahua etc. There has been little of that this season, but we have seen some revisionism after the fact is his interviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Both extremes have that affect on threads. What I am finding considerably more irksome is an inability to impartially assess the opening quarter of the season.

Alan and Lloyd may have their own unique style but they are largely correct. The signing we have made are not working out and and our performances are extremely poor. In addition, BR seems to sticking relentlessly to tactics that aren't working.

We have taken a huge step back from last season - the team looks lost out there. It is the nature of our performances, not the results, that is driving this negativity.

So give the school yard bullying crap a break.
    That is one way of putting it, alright:D.

As for the schoolyard bullying jibe, that applies in both directions eg the 'retarded' debate.

• Yes we "could" be out of the running for a top 4 spot. But just as easily be in the top 4 at Christmas.

Considering Arsenals result v Hull last week we've matched that. Should have bettered it but we didn't we move on. Those around us are just as inconsistent as we are this season and Chelsea are out on their own

We are unbeaten now in 4 in the league despite being terrible we just have to build on that.

Top 4 is wide open. If your a couple of points off 4th your still well in contention. As you say, only one team you can bank on for concistancy and that's Chelsea .

Regardless of how bad your actually playing if you can win badly at QPR etc then no reason why you shouldn't be challanging.

I would be concerned if you managed to get berehino in January. Great bit of stuff for west brom this season.

In the short term, I have no idea why Rodgers won't give borini a chance alongside Mario. I think you will get more from him with two up front and its not like borini can't score goals

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

Is the swansea game on TV??

Rodgers needs to change up the system and where he's deploying players as it's not working

For Swansea

Mignolet
    Manquillo Toure Lovren Enrique
    Markovic Lucas Henderson Lallana
    Lambert Balotelli

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Na swansea game isint on the telly, surely borini will get his game then?

5live wrote: »
    That is one way of putting it, alright:D.

As for the schoolyard bullying jibe, that applies in both directions eg the 'retarded' debate.

Responses from a critical mass of frequent posters on this thread to their posts are prejudiced. No matter what point the guys make, in whatever style, the core of their point is lost immediately as someone jumps on them - very much attacking the poster.

The guys have been consistently posting on this thread years now - as I have been. The jibes fired in Alan's direction now actually give me a chuckle as he used to be accused of the complete opposite when he first joined the forum - I remember PM'ing him at the time asking him to tone down the positive bias towards everything Liverpool.

In terms of the whole 'retarded' stuff. I won't comment as I have used the term myself to describe view on here :P

In fairness to the guys. Both has come out and said that they were wrong about BR. That is a fairly bold thing to do when you are being shouted down every other post.

The core of what they are saying is correct through. It can be contested somewhat but the dismissals raise serious questions about the appetite for impartial analysis on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

It can be contested somewhat but the dismissals raise serious questions about the appetite for impartial analysis on this thread.

There's no real desire for impartial analysis from the majority of this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Both extremes have that affect on threads. What I am finding considerably more irksome is an inability to impartially assess the opening quarter of the season.

We have taken a huge step back from last season - the team looks lost out there. It is the nature of our performances, not the results, that is driving this negativity.

Except I don't think I've seen anyone on the other extreme or, at least, the negative-for-the-sake-of-it posters far outnumber them.

Everyone is unhappy with how we're playing. I don't think anyone thinks that the squad is where it needs to be right now, even if you caveat that statement by saying we're a work in progress and we're at the start of virtually a new team.

But lots of posters are in absolute hysterics at the moment and they need to calm down and get a bit of perspective.
    Thus far we've improved in the 2nd half of the season in Rodgers' time here, we've done no worse than our competitors for top 4 so far this season, we still have a very good chance at qualifying from the CL and for all the moaning about the signings, we have an extremely young side with a lot of talented young footballers.

We need to get the next couple of signings right, we need to pick up enough points and crawl into January within touching distance of our rivals and we do need to get fundamentally better when those new signings arrive (or Sturridge proves he can actually stay fit).

But none of those points are wildly unlikely. Despite what the tabloid mentality of today would suggest, we're not in crisis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

klose wrote: »
    So it begins
    http://dailym.ai/1wxKMkB

**** source i know but obvious player to be linked with is obvious.

This is the reason we will never win the league.

West Brom want £25 fcuking million. I'm not say we will go for him but more than likely we will go for someone like him young with potential for stupid money instead of paying the extra £10million to buy a proven player in his mid/late 20's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Na swansea game isint on the telly, surely borini will get his game then?

Hopefully not bud.

Charlie19 wrote: »

So this is why Gerrard isn't being dropped.

Playing every minute of every game is the rent price he is charging Rodgers :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

We waited 5 years to get back to the champions league, where we were told we need to be in order to get be able to attract the best player. In my opinion there is no player we have bought in the two years that we could not have good regardless of been in the champions league or not. not one!

Heard that BR mentioned that he thought suarez was staying until the world cup bite. That is so naïve I can't get over it.
    Hoping sturridge comes back soon and saves the day but it will be only a matter of time before he is injured again.
    36 million on Ballotelli and Markovic....35 million could have got us a damn good striker.
    As it stands I would have lambert starting every game and sterling off him
    Coutninhon lalanna Gerard and allen.
    People can say what they want about Ricky but he socres goals and sets up goal. Both of those points can not be said about ballotelli

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

We have to stop buying average in-form Premier League players. From Charlie Adam to Stewart Downing to Lambert and Lovren, it's like we let the Match of the Day pundits pick our transfer targets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Watching MOTD yesterday was very frustating. So many of the other teams signings are performing very well. Out of all our new signings I have been very disapointed in Markovic. His lack of courage to do anything is a major concern. He could still be a very good player in a few years but with Sterling & Ibe the signing wasn't necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Gbear wrote: »
    We need to get the next couple of signings right, we need to pick up enough points and crawl into January within touching distance of our rivals and we do need to get fundamentally better when those new signings arrive (or Sturridge proves he can actually stay fit).

But none of those points are wildly unlikely. Despite what the tabloid mentality of today would suggest, we're not in crisis.

An example of how there's no desire for reasonable discussion here.

The post I'm quoting was essentially saying "yea things aren't going great but it should be easy enough to improve by Sturridge staying fit & us getting a couple of top signings in Jan who hit the ground running"

What should be clear after the last couple of seasons is that;

1) Sturridge is unlikely to stay fit

2) Rodgers is very very unlikely to get two top signings in 1 window who both hit the ground running. He has shown as a manager he's not very good in the transfer market to no honest.

Also to note FSG after forking out well over >£100m during the summer are unlikely to back another splurge in the transfer market. And to be totally fair, they couldn't be blamed for that.

So both points you say we need to get our season back on track are in fact the opposite of what you said, they are both wildly unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Jens Toornstra

Or

Paco alcacer

I like Toornstra, very good player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

I just can't see Rodgers getting more money from the owners. We need to bring in 2 quality players in January. Time will tell.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    2) Rodgers is very very unlikely to get two top signings in 1 window who both hit the ground running. He has shown as a manager he's not very good in the transfer market to no honest.
    I don't think Rodgers wants to sign the finished product top quality type players that are required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Chill out Liverpool fans.

There's always a drop off in results from big teams after midweek CL.

Liverpool were unlucky not to win, City unlucky not to draw/win, Arsenal lucky that Sunderland handed the game to them and so on.

It's never been the case that people just sweep teams aside after a midweek CL match. You're usually flat and if you get te rub of the green you win.

Plus Hull drew with Arsenal last week.

The problem is there's waaaayyyy to much focus. Every time Liverpool play you get a '16 conclusions' article or something like it. There really aren't that many conclusions to be drawn.

The way it's looking, Liverpool are taking some time to settle but they're lucky because Chelsea aside, everyone else is in the same boat.

The first team to put together a solid run of results will take a hold on 2nd place (discounting the possibility of Southampton lasting). The odds might be slightly stacked against Man U as they've played a lot of their easier fixtures, but then they don't have CL and they've such quality that if it clicks then it mightn't matter who they're playing.

It's just whoever emerges from their funk first.

But nobody needs new players or anything revolutionary and there's no sensible questions to be asked of the managers despite all the journalists.

City are in a lull because they won the league last year.

Man Utd are going through huge transition.

Liverpool are going through huge transition.

Arsenal practically have a first team injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Would you consider yourself a poster who gives impartial analysis?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Top 4 is wide open. If your a couple of points off 4th your still well in contention. As you say, only one team you can bank on for concistancy and that's Chelsea .

Regardless of how bad your actually playing if you can win badly at QPR etc then no reason why you shouldn't be challanging.

I would be concerned if you managed to get berehino in January. Great bit of stuff for west brom this season.

In the short term, I have no idea why Rodgers won't give borini a chance alongside Mario. I think you will get more from him with two up front and its not like borini can't score goals

Agree. With the way the league is looking thus far you could see an "unkown" CL team breaking into the top 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Hey Alan, I think you might get less hostility towards your posts if you didn't absolutely flog the words delusion and deluded to death or if you didn't use so many confused faced emoticons, but most of all stop hankering for Rafa, let it go, gain some closure, move on, you'll feel better for it, trust me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

We have to stop buying average in-form Premier League players. From Charlie Adam to Stewart Downing to Lambert and Lovren, it's like we let the Match of the Day pundits pick our transfer targets.

This is spot on. It's Berahino at the moment. A good player with great potential but has a lot to prove yet. He's in form and playing brilliantly to be fair. West Brom hand apparently slapped a £25m price tag on him. Right up our alley, an unproven but potentially good unproven overpriced player. Sign him up!

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2014/10/rumour-mill-liverpool-linked-saido-berahino/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

You included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

DVDM93 wrote: »
    This is spot on. It's Berahino at the moment. A good player with great potential but has a lot to prove yet. He's in form and playing brilliantly to be fair. West Brom hand apparently slapped a £25m price tag on him. Right up our alley, an unproven but potentially good unproven overpriced player. Sign him up!

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2014/10/rumour-mill-liverpool-linked-saido-berahino/

Yup couldn't agree more, Berahino is just the flavour of the month, he's done fack all, he's got a few goals a good few of then were pens, but nothing outstanding from what I've seen of him, £25m is extracting the urine tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Even if there was £60m available, who could we sign.

Very few top players move in January unless they aren't happy or out of favor at their own club.

We need a top class DM and Striker. We need a RB and another top CB. That's 4 players.

That really dilutes the quality you can get.

Putting it in the laziest way possible, we seem to have an act with buying players that come with an excuse if they're not living up to expectations. Either they're plagued with injury, thus not given a chance (not their fault) or else they're 'only young yet with bags of potential'. Yes, but how many of these work out? For example, we seem to splash the cash on 10 young players with potential and maybe 2 of these work out. The others fade off in to the darkness and are inevitably sold off. At this rate, players who prove their potential will be sold off when bigger clubs come knocking anyway, a la Suarez, so what's the point? For once can we just splash the fcuking cash at 2/3 world class players rather than 10 Match of the Day loving Moneyball players? I get the whole idea of buying young and investing in the squad, I do, but it just isn't happening.

edit: this is a general comment not just specific to January. We've had too many Downings, Carrols, Lamberts, etc... for my liking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,979 ✭✭✭doc_17

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Putting it in the laziest way possible, we seem to have an act with buying players that come with an excuse if they're not living up to expectations. Either they're plagued with injury, thus not given a chance (not their fault) or else they're 'only young yet with bags of potential'. Yes, but how many of these work out? For example, we seem to splash the cash on 10 young players with potential and maybe 2 of these work out. The others fade off in to the darkness and are inevitably sold off. At this rate, players who prove their potential will be sold off when bigger clubs come knocking anyway, a la Suarez, so what's the point? For once can we just splash the fcuking cash at 2/3 world class players rather than 10 Match of the Day loving Moneyball players? I get the whole idea of buying young and investing in the squad, I do, but it just isn't happening.

edit: this is a general comment not just specific to January. We've had too many Downings, Carrols, Lamberts, etc... for my liking.

I agree with the sentiment. Pass on your list to Rodgers ASAP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Wouldn't be dumping lambert in the downing/Carroll pot tbh.

Even if there was £60m available, who could we sign.

Very few top players move in January unless they aren't happy or out of favor at their own club.

We need a top class DM and Striker. We need a RB and another top CB. That's 4 players.

That really dilutes the quality you can get.
    It would be completely foolish to sign another 4 players in January considering the influx of players in the summer. I would expect the squad to be trimmed before more players are signed. Borini, Lucas and Johnson are likely to depart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Responses from a critical mass of frequent posters on this thread to their posts are prejudiced. No matter what point the guys make, in whatever style, the core of their point is lost immediately as someone jumps on them - very much attacking the poster.

The guys have been consistently posting on this thread years now - as I have been. The jibes fired in Alan's direction now actually give me a chuckle as he used to be accused of the complete opposite when he first joined the forum - I remember PM'ing him at the time asking him to tone down the positive bias towards everything Liverpool.

In terms of the whole 'retarded' stuff. I won't comment as I have used the term myself to describe view on here :P

In fairness to the guys. Both has come out and said that they were wrong about BR. That is a fairly bold thing to do when you are being shouted down every other post.

The core of what they are saying is correct through. It can be contested somewhat but the dismissals raise serious questions about the appetite for impartial analysis on this thread.
    You can be certain if Rafa was our manager he would be looking at the positives.

Wouldn't be dumping lambert in the downing/Carroll pot tbh.

Fair point, Downing and Carroll were a lot younger and Lambert was fairly on the cheap. But you get the point I'm making in general? :)

How many of these young players with potential have really worked out since Gerard Houllier started buying young French players in 1998.

How much money has been wasted on all these players by Houllier, Benitez, Hodgson, Daglish & Rodgers.

Albert Einstein:
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

doc_17 wrote: »
    I agree with the sentiment. Pass on your list to Rodgers ASAP

I did, have text him a few times but he doesn't like the idea of not being able to use the word 'young' before he mentions one of his players.

Young Raheem, Young Markovic, etc... all good.

Young doesn't exactly work as well with a 25 year old Marco Reus though, which is fair enough.

The only way around this I feel would signing Ashley and Luke Young, which would be no better.

Former Arsenal Swedish legend Freddie Youngberg might have worked a few years back :)

MD1990 wrote: »
    You can be certain if Rafa was our manager he would be looking at the positives.

OK, not an invalid point. it boils down to trust I guess and it's built in different ways. Rogers and Rafa are very different.

In that context. I always felt that results under Rafa were the result of planning and tactics. I never thought we were going to get tonked and the worst I feared was a disappointing draw - happened far too often. I was often bored to death but once we went 1 nil up, you were certain you would win.

Under BR, I am often sitting on the edge of my seat with sheer excitement and adrenalin. Going into a game, I often wonder whether it will be 3 - 1 or 1 - 3. We seem to get the rub of the green through relentlessly attacking the ball - penalties or bookings. Even when we are 3 nil up, I dread that we are just one mistake away from falling apart.

Both managers spur very different sets of emotions. Sometimes stability and control creates trust. Sometimes an attacking style of play builds fondness. Sometimes it might be how they handle the press.

Both had and have their flaws. A hybrid of the two would be a dream come through. But in consistently focusing on our defence and calling out the need for Gerrard to be used less and a DM to be signed, I bet you can figure out where a manager starts to builds trust with me.

For now, under BR, it all feels a bit ad hoc and it doesn't inspire me with confidence too much. He is obviously a capable manager but this current dip in form is becoming a somewhat protracted affair.

How many of these young players with potential have really worked out since Gerard Houllier started buying young French players in 1998.

How much money has been wasted on all these players by Houllier, Benitez, Hodgson, Daglish & Rodgers.

Albert Einstein:

Sterling is about all I can think of.

1 in 20 working out with the rest being sold off for a 2/3m profit seems to the plan - not an invalid one either.

The plan defo seems to centre around finding value where someone else doesn't see it. Sturrige, Countinho and Suarez, even Mario, seem to fit the bill too - talented but troubled or never quite hit the level expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Albert Einstein:

There was a lot of hit and hope sorts of signings under Houllier. Cheyrou, LeTallec, Pongolle and the likes were nobodies as far as I remember

Rather than a scattergun approach of getting in a load of cheap young players and hoping for a miracle, we've bought highly rated players for whom there's a high probability of turning into excellent players.
    Players like Moreno, Coutinho, Sakho, Origi have played to high standard for national teams or at least underage national teams, captained teams, played in world cups, won trophies or whatever. They're not some randomers from League 2.

Saying money was wasted on them when most of them have played fewer than 20 games for us and won't be physically at their peaks for 3-5 years is just plain idiotic.

Again, you can disagree that our transfer strategy ought to slowly build over a period of years but I don't think you can argue with how we've gone about acheiving that during the last window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The only things that the club got wrong was the failure to bag a striker that would fit the style (and I don't mean an expensive one - see Sakho, Pelle, etc) a ready to go DM and coaching the flippin' defence. The current malaise is not systemic but it is disquieting, the jury is out until Sturridge has got a game or two under his belt but right now all that's needed is some balls from Rodgers - be proactive with the squad and that means being willing to play two up, be willing to drop Sterling for Coutinho for a game. Start Can for a few games over Allen or even *whispers it* Gerrard

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭gugsy

Players like Moreno, Coutinho, Sakho, Origi have played to high standard for national teams or at least underage national teams, captained teams, played in world cups, won trophies or whatever. They're not some randomers from League 2.

Saying money was wasted on them when most of them have played fewer than 20 games for us and won't be physically at their peaks for 3-5 years is just plain idiotic.

Again, you can disagree that our transfer strategy ought to slowly build over a period of years but I don't think you can argue with how we've gone about acheiving that during the last window.

Totally Agree. We are too quick to be down rogers neck. Last year was a great year but only for one man. I agree the team isn't performing as well as it should but we need to realise we are still building its a young team and they will grow to become a great team. I have faith in Rogers.

The only things that the club got wrong was the failure to bag a striker that would fit the style (and I don't mean an expensive one - see Sakho, Pelle, etc) a ready to go DM and coaching the flippin' defence. The current malaise is not systemic but it is disquieting, the jury is out until Sturridge has got a game or two under his belt but right now all that's needed is some balls from Rodgers - be proactive with the squad and that means being willing to play two up, be willing to drop Sterling for Coutinho for a game. Start Can for a few games over Allen or even *whispers it* Gerrard

I have been quiet impressed with Can in his last 2 appearance. I wonder how he would do replacing Gerrard but I would be open to it. On that point, I quite liked seeing Gerrard high up the pitch towards the the end of the match - you could see flashes of his ability to burst into the box but he doesn't seem to have the legs anymore.

I have also been quite happy with Allen. He provides a solid option and we need him.

You point about Sturridge is also valid. I am holding off on expressing any real concern until he is back for at least a handful of games. He provides a focal point that Mario can't seem to do - curious to see both together actually.

gugsy wrote: »
    Totally Agree. We are too quick to be down rogers neck. Last year was a great year but only for one man. I agree the team isn't performing as well as it should but we need to realise we are still building its a young team and they will grow to become a great team. I have faith in Rogers.

Who has mentioned any of those players? The only real concern flagged is regarding Sahko.

Mentioning Origi is somewhat moot too given the club loaned him out immediately in order to aid his development :/

Moreno and Countinho has generally spoken about positively. Coutinho has been somewhat off the boil since he got his call up but has impressed again in his past 2/3 appearances.

If Sturridge comes back fully fit and ready to go and doesn't score in his first few games back where does the manager, team and fans go from there?

It seems to me right now that from what I can see is a lot of hopes are being pinned on Sturidge's return.

Does that mean we are again a one man team???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

There was a lot of hit and hope sorts of signings under Houllier. Cheyrou, LeTallec, Pongolle and the likes were nobodies as far as I remember
    In fairness Pongolle and Le Tallec were more than hit and hopes given their display in underage tournaments. Can't fault buying the likes of those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

The core of what they are saying in an opinion, some agree some disagree.

What gets on my goat is the whole certainty of their opinion. Not a sign of an 'imo' to be seen anywhere, just 'deluded' and 'retarded' accusations thrown when someone doesn't agree with their opinion. The prejudice shown by those with differing opinions is a reflection of the prejudice shown by the two boys in framing their posts in the first place, imo.

Anyway, i'm leaving it at that. Both side can look at their posts as there is enough blame in this issue to share around:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Who has mentioned any of those players? The only real concern flagged is regarding Sahko.

Mentioning Origi is somewhat moot too given the club loaned him out immediately in order to aid his development :/

Moreno and Countinho has generally spoken about positively. Coutinho has been somewhat off the boil since he got his call up but has impressed again in his past 2/3 appearances.

Origi was not loaned out to 'aid his development'. He was loaned out because Lille refused to do business otherwise.

• Advertisement

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Origi was not loaned out to 'aid his development'. He was loaned out because Lille refused to do business otherwise.

I stand corrected. Do you think he would have made big difference to our performance in the past month or so?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement