Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

Should have went for Eto'o in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Should have went for Eto'o in the summer.

Or bony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Is this the in joke now to say we should have signed anyone that scores!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well thank goodness Downing missed that header eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I stand corrected. Do you think he would have made big difference to our performance in the past month or so?

I'm sure of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Is this the in joke now to say we should have signed anyone that scores!

No we certainly should not of signed Richard dune and he scores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

How many of these young players with potential have really worked out since Gerard Houllier started buying young French players in 1998.

How much money has been wasted on all these players by Houllier, Benitez, Hodgson, Daglish & Rodgers.
    In fairness to Hodgson, you could not level the accusation of signing players with potential at him. He gave two of them away (Dalla Valle, Kacaniklic) and loaned out another (Insua) in the deal of the century signing Paul Konchesky.

If Sturridge comes back fully fit and ready to go and doesn't score in his first few games back where does the manager, team and fans go from there?

It seems to me right now that from what I can see is a lot of hopes are being pinned on Sturidge's return.

Does that mean we are again a one man team???

Sturridge is the replacement for Suarez, we won't be getting any other striker as good. Come the end of the season the tally of goals scored by sturridge and balotelli might surprise some :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

The only things that the club got wrong was the failure to bag a striker that would fit the style (and I don't mean an expensive one - see Sakho, Pelle, etc) a ready to go DM and coaching the flippin' defence. The current malaise is not systemic but it is disquieting, the jury is out until Sturridge has got a game or two under his belt but right now all that's needed is some balls from Rodgers - be proactive with the squad and that means being willing to play two up, be willing to drop Sterling for Coutinho for a game. Start Can for a few games over Allen or even *whispers it* Gerrard

Each and every one of those things are significant, bordering on incompetent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Should have signed Sammy Ameobi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Talisman wrote: »
    In fairness to Hodgson, you could not level the accusation of signing players with potential at him. He gave two of them away (Dalla Valle, Kacaniklic) and loaned out another (Insua) in the deal of the century signing Paul Konchesky.

Danny Wilson & Suso were both brought in under him as manager.

Or bony

Both tbh

For me it's about playing the right striker/forward at the moment from the ones we already have.

The one striker we have that can play by himself up front is Borini and he can't even make the match day squad.

Balotelli & Lambert are strikers who want and need someone else to play off.

All three of our fit strikers aren't been played in a system that suits their style or aren't even given a chance to play.

Borini is the ideal partner to play with both Balotelli & Lambert.

That is what is driving me mad.

It looks to me that Rodgers has zero faith in Borini and I'd guess he'll be gone in January either on loan or sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Has he played since the window closed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Has he played since the window closed?

Yes, very poorly against West Ham IIRC.

But as I said they were both brought in under him.

He arranaged Luis coming to the club but Kenny signed him.

For now, under BR, it all feels a bit ad hoc and it doesn't inspire me with confidence too much. He is obviously a capable manager but this current dip in form is becoming a somewhat protracted affair.
    Hasn't it always been ad hoc with Rodgers? The creation of the quarter back role for Gerrard is an example. We had Nuri Sahin on loan in Rodgers first season at the club - a player that definitely is suited to that position but instead was played as a Number 10. At the time, there were only two ways to setup the 4-3-3 midfield: 2-1 or 1-2. The 1-2-1 midfield diamond wasn't discovered until 2014.

In January 2013 the team got an unlikely draw at the Emirates against Arsenal. I say unlikely because we struggled against Oldham in the cup a few days before hand. The team got a 2-2 result in the game which was great. In the post match interview Rodgers revealed that the game plan was to try for an early goal and replace Sturridge with a defender at 60 minutes after he had run Arsenal's defence ragged and then counter attack for the remainder of the game. It sounded good but that's not what happened, he continued to explain that he forgot to tell Enrique to warm up for the substitution which was why it was 14 minutes late. At 60 minutes, Liverpool were 2-0 up. At 66 minutes it was 2-2 and on 74 minutes Sturridge was replaced by Enrique. Amateur mistake from the manager that prepares the team meticulously?

Last season we saw the use of a variety of formations 4-3-3, 4-2-2-2, 3-5-2, 4-1-3-2 and 4-3-1-2 which would suggest there is a level of flexibility to the system, but in truth the formation was often dictated by the availability of players - there was only a small squad to choose from.

This season the defence is a shambles - given the volume of changes that should be expected. The midfield is poor - what's changed there? Where has the flexibility gone? The 2-1 midfield was dreadful, Lucas and Gerrard, what was Rodgers thinking? The 1-2-1 with an out of form Coutinho doesn't work. The 1-2 with Gerrard acting as a quarter back hasn't worked. His performance against West Ham should have had alarm bells ringing for Rodgers - yet he persists with the player who doesn't have the legs or the positional play for the role. Has there been an explanation yet as to why Henderson was dropped for the Hull City game but the aged Gerrard retained his place? There's no energy, no closing down, the passing is sloppy at times which only invites pressure on the defence. And up front we have the Mario Balotelli is not Luis Suarez show. His continued use of the lone striker is the same square peg in a round hole treatment that Sahin received. When Balotelli played along side another forward player he is a different player, we've all seen it yet Rodgers persists.

Brendan Rodgers is the common denominator in all things that are not right with the team and so far this season, I have twice heard him say that there is not enough time to work with the players between games to get things right but they are working on getting it right. He performed as manager last season when he had time to prepare the team and his options were limited but the same cannot be said for when he doesn't have the time. This might tie in with why he was up at 4am after the Real Madrid game to begin preparations for Hull City. He may be brilliant, but if so he's a Beethoven and not a Mozart - he has to work incredibly hard to achieve the brilliance because it does not come naturally to him. Or maybe he takes too much on himself and needs to delegate more responsibility to his staff.

But as I said they were both brought in under him.

He arranaged Luis coming to the club but Kenny signed him.
    We're splitting hairs now - Hodgson had nothing to do with signing the players. Similarly Benitez had nothing to do with the signing of Djibril Cisse and was told he couldn't stop it.

Damien Comolli handled the Luis Suarez transfer, Hodgson had nothing to do with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Heard on 5 live during the Chelsea match that Valdes is training with Utd :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Yup. Talk about offering him a contract as well

Been there for a week now.

Rodgers said last week he wouldn't be signing for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Yup. Talk about offering him a contract as well

Yeah.
    Still can't understand why we "didn't" go for him
    I'll post my match review tomorrow of the hull game :)

If he'd rather live on the bench for the rest of his career and earn a load doing it, he's not the sort of player I'd want at the club.
    No ambition, and no confidence in his own abilities.

martyos121 wrote: »
    If he'd rather live on the bench for the rest of his career and earn a load doing it, he's not the sort of player I'd want at the club.
    No ambition, and no confidence in his own abilities.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Man Utd cash-in on De Gea in the summer.

Why? They hardly need the money.

I'd say he'll be there for a good few years

I can see it happening if Real come in for him, since Casillas is well past his prime, but that's the only club that could lure him away.
    Still, Valdes should stay well away from United, he could easily be starting for the likes of us or Arsenal. Far better option than warming the bench in a half empty stadium every second week.

I can see it happening if Real come in for him, since Casillas is well past his prime, but that's the only club that could lure him away.
    Still, Valdes should stay well away from United, he could easily be starting for the likes of us or Arsenal. Far better option than warming the bench in a half empty stadium every second week.

City won't need him.

De gea won't be leaving United any time soon. He has far too many bromances to leave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

People talking about me needing to "get over Rafa" are absolute fools. I've literally not mentioned him on this or any thread here in over a year.

I'm fully supportive of Rodgers as our manager & want him to continue to be our manager for a long time to come. My concern is that unless our form picks up, rightly or wrongly, he will be under serious pressure & could very easily lose his job before the end of this season. I know that seems mad considering the season we had last year but that's modern football. Its because i dont want that to happen that I'm quite vocal in talking about the problems we have at the minute & what we need to do to fix them. Including Rodgers upping his own game in a big way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Really bizzare first 1/4 of the season, 1 good performance thus far and a fairly decent one v everton and after that we've been frankly appaling in every game bar a few moments here and there. Very lucky the likes of utd/arsenal/spurs are having as bad a start as ourselves, id like to think we could just kick on now but we've shown nothing to support that. No idea what rodgers plans to do, toughest stint of his tenure thus far.

• Talisman wrote: »

This post is ridiculous, cash in on de-gea ffs

Nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Well if anyone would know about nonsense and ridiculous posts...

• Well if anyone would know about nonsense and ridiculous posts...

Go on..are you a man or a mouse.....typical post..on the wind up

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Ooh, someone's been on the tear since their hard fought draw against a bigger side!
    But enough about the West Brom game, ye did very well against Chelsea today!

• Advertisement

Ooh, someone's been on the tear since their hard fought draw against a bigger side!
    But enough about the West Brom game, ye did very well against Chelsea today!

Even better getting last minute goals against bigger teams as well. Not that Liverpool would know anything about that

Even better getting last minute goals against bigger teams as well. Not that Liverpool would know anything about that

United fans take their biggest point of the season, and head straight for the Liverpool thread.
    Funny that.

• martyos121 wrote: »
    United fans take their biggest point of the season, and head straight for the Liverpool thread.
    Funny that.

Who says they can't, the thread isnt exculsive to liverpool fans.
    I replied to a nonsense post about de gea being sold...and all I got was a sneery post aimed directly at me and it had **** all to do with what I posted

Funny that.

Funny that, the match is over about 40 minutes. Scarleh for your ma for havin ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Jaysus, a home draw really puffs the chests out these days down Old Trafford way.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Jaysus, a home draw really puffs the chests out these days down Old Trafford way.

To be fair, I was in here talking about valdes and mick was saying it was nonsense de gea would be sold. We didn't mention the match at all, it was Liverpool supporters.

So ya, puffing out our chests alright, by not mentioning it. We be rock hard like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

This reminds me...I've some ironing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Hi Folks,
    I am looking at heading over to Liverpool if possible for the Dec 21st game against Arsenal. I am not a Liverpool supporter or a member of the site and getting this as a surprise for family members. Would be looking at 3 tickets for the game. Anyone have any recommendations on the best way to go about getting them or am I delusional in thinking I can get 3 for a game like this?
    I have seen some of the prices on ticket websites for €300+ a ticket. Am I looking at this kind of price to be guaranteed a ticket?, any suggestions or recommendations would be welcome.

Thanks,
    B~

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

You accusing me of being on the wind up?? I've heard it all now.

You must have zero self awareness?

I'm not getting sucked into a slagging match with you because I know what you and your ilk are like and more than likely it wouldn't end well for me...that's the way it works around here.

• You accusing me of being on the wind up?? I've heard it all now.

You must have zero self awareness?

I'm not getting sucked into a slagging match with you because I know what you and your ilk are like and more than likely it wouldn't end well for me...that's the way it works around here.

Pot calling the kettle black.
    There was no slagging match until you engaged it. Your post had nothing to do with what I was responding to. All you did was try and and wind me up. You could have responded to the topic at hand or ignored it. You failed to do both

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Cant see De Gea going to Real after playing for Atletico. Ya your right Valdes would be mad to want to play with the likes of Di Maria, Falcao, RVP, Rooney, etc

Worse this place is getting.

Any Liverpool news?

Am I in the wrong thread??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Any Liverpool news?

They drew aswell this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Any Liverpool news?

Yeah. We're all doomed it seems. But we're still hopeful ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement