Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

murpho999 wrote: »
    Congrats. Did you call the newborn Mario?

Nah, I scored. He didnt.

Until tonight...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

8-10 wrote: »
    Did Jonjo headbutt Balotelli though?
    No. Balotelli made a huge four course dinner out of it.
    Borini is MOTM for me.

Worked really hard, and Created chances for himself and his Teammates.

Brendan must surely start him now in the League.
    Couldn't agree more.
    Missed the last 10 minutes but hardly a shock, Swansea were only in it for a brief spell before and after their goal.
    Surely you've watched us play this season. When they brought on Bony I thought they were gonna beat us by more.
    His passing was pretty **** tonight tbh. Infuriating performance from him given the inroads he made over the past few games.
    Yeah but he makes things happen for other players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Have to give credit to Johnson too, thought he played very well today. Always looks a lot better playing on the left, he's less confident in that role and so tends to concentrate a lot more it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Some people are incredibly naive about Liverpools place in the scheme of the modern game. We are in the second level of sides (and not at the top of that due to recent lack of CL football) and will not sign wage cheques for more than about 150k for anyone who has not earned it at the club (see Suarez 80k to 225k a week).

The owners are not going to change that so LFC will have to develop players to become stars or get very lucky.

The name doesn't mean that much to guys born in the 90s except in terms of history.

None of the above should distract of buys that are just poor though. No matter who you are there is good and bad value out there.

It can never work for us unless we adopt a proper transfer policy. All the talk about Champions League revenues and how important that would be in attracting top players was obviously just sh*te talk from Rodgers and Ayre then it seems

Have to give credit to Johnson too, thought he played very well today. Always looks a lot better playing on the left, he's less confident in that role and so tends to concentrate a lot more it seems.

The key to Johnson being ok is keep him at LB and behind the halfway line.

Manquillo was given licence to attack and Johnson told to stay put, for the most part.

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    It can never work for us unless we adopt a proper transfer policy. All the talk about Champions League revenues and how important that would be in attracting top players was obviously just sh*te talk from Rodgers and Ayre then it seems

It doesn't take a genius to figure out the more to qualify for the CL the more cash will go in the transfer pot and ultimately you'll get a better calibre of player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lucas did a good job cleaning up in midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Apart from the Swansea goal I thought it was one of our best performances this season. That doesn't say much though. Borini needs to get more games and should be on the bench at least.

Ballotelli and Borini this weekend surely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Liverpool need to stay in the CL for probably three seasons before fancy Dan foreign types like Sanchez give us a good hearing I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

It was posted yesterday so not to rob another posters words but it sums it up nicely - "We've never signed a world class player" ... especially since the premier league anyways.

Even with the Sky Money and the massive wages that now flow because of it - we do not get close to signing the Kroos'/James/Costas of this world. They want to go to the bigger clubs with the most money. Man U proved that this summer with the signing of DiMaria. Sad but true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ballotelli and Borini have to start together against Newcastle!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

What id like to see vs Newcastle

B1EQvTSIIAEafQf.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

At least we avoided extra time. Wasn't a bad performance really. Swansea weren't really in the game at all. We are just a bit toothless up front at present. Just have to keep picking up enough points until Sturridge gets back and we get to January. Hopefully tonight can kickstart things a little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Sky sports news are showing the goals so you'll get to see them at half 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

It was posted yesterday so not to rob another posters words but it sums it up nicely - "We've never signed a world class player" ... especially since the premier league anyways.

Even with the Sky Money and the massive wages that now flow because of it - we do not get close to signing the Kroos'/James/Costas of this world. They want to go to the bigger clubs with the most money. Man U proved that this summer with the signing of DiMaria. Sad but true.

Indeed and that is why we have never won the Premier League and will never do so until we generate the revenues needed to enable us to flex some serious financial muscle on top players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

MD1990 wrote: »

B1EQvTSIIAEafQf.jpg

Given that Borini will really work for us up front, having both Coutinho and Sterling in there as well as Gerrard isn't as risky as it seems.

We'd be a 4-5-1 on defence or on the break but when we're in control of the game we'd actually have someone in the box that Balotelli, Sterling and Coutinho can all play off.

Indeed and that is why we have never won the Premier League and will never do so until we generate the revenues needed to enable us to flex some serious financial muscle on top players

Jaysus, talk about bringing the mood down. Buzzkill Rovers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Much needed win, regardless of the competition.
    Something like that will hopefully kick us on now. Hopefully.
    Good to see the 2 lads get a goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

just seen the red card on Sky now - looked bad at first, that's all the ref could see

/discussion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Quarter final of the league cup
    Still looking alright for top 4
    And in a strong position to qualify from the champions league group
    Everything going along nicely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

I'm always amazed at the amount of criticism Couthino gets, he is one of the few players we have that can make things happen in a match. He ghosts past players constantly and is always looking to start an attack, a bit of movement ahead of him and players might benefit from his passes. Henderson has given the ball away numerous times with simple misplaced passes this season, Sterling has lost the ball trying to outrun defenders a hell of a lot, yet neither receive anything like the criticism Couthino gets. Personnally I'd prefer to see Couthino in the team than not.

Yup, but we should not be too downhearted its about small steps for us, repeatability and progression. We need to be hitting the CL every year and it will be some feat to finish in the top 4 already judging by our recent performances.

... but hey - we can do it :D

mav79 wrote: »
    I'm always amazed at the amount of criticism Couthino gets, he is one of the few players we have that can make things happen in a match. He ghosts past players constantly and is always looking to start an attack, a bit of movement ahead of him and players might benefit from his passes. Henderson has given the ball away numerous times with simple misplaced passes this season, Sterling has lost the ball trying to outrun defenders a hell of a lot, yet neither receive anything like the criticism Couthino gets. Personnally I'd prefer to see Couthino in the team than not.

For his age we need to see him progress cos he is illiterately the only player we have that has his set of skills. I think he gets grief so much cos he can be very frustrating at times. Funnily enough when he burst onto the scene his shooting was brilliant but he can be very hit and miss. I'd have him in every game personally ... but you will be using the shepherds hook from time to time cos he is still developing his consistency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Been away from interwebs for the evening. Did we win :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

mav79 wrote: »

He's that player who can make that pass 40 yards into the feet of a striker and you just drool.
    He needs intelligent players ahead of him like Sturridge, he plays balls into Neymar for Brazil.

But he should be an automatic starter for me he constantly drives forward and never passes back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

And Sturridge to come back!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Vicxas wrote: »
    Missed the match as I was looking after my newborn, is there any highlights being shown on TV?

Congrats pal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Happy enough with that. Delighted we won but wasn't too worried when we were losing. However I was getting a bit worried that we could go 3 games in a row without scoring at home. But that did not come to pass thankfully. Definitely think Borini should start up top with Balotelli for a few games. Really think Markovic should go on loan, he's not great is he? Have to admit Johnson played well and has done the last game or two. I wouldn't be his greatest fan at all but fair dues to him. I'm worried about Lovren though, he makes a lot of dumb mistakes and errors for a defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Vicxas wrote: »
    Missed the match as I was looking after my newborn, is there any highlights being shown on TV?

Here is the full match

http://www.footballorgin.com/2014/10/capital-one-league-cup-2014-2015-round_29.html

Edit : Only 1st half available so far. The 2nd half will be up later (It's up now):)

Delighted Balotelli scored. We must start Balo and Borini vs Newcastle

Is posting vines still off limits ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Quarter final but still playing very poorly.
    Looking alright for a position outside of top 4 unless we improve immensely.
    We need to beat Basle at home and Ludo away from home still
    We need to improve beyond recognition

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

still in the FA cup too :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

people here are just using excuses. do you think di maria or falcao sign for man utd if moyes is still in charge...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

rossie1977 wrote: »
    people here are just using excuses. do you think di maria or falcao sign for man utd if moyes is still in charge...

Falcao, is his prime, also went to Monaco just as they were promoted. Money talks

Wouldnt imagine falcao was overly bothered about the manager tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Should we sign Van Gaal? Swapsies, maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Didn't see the game, was Borini fabio?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

OwaynOTT wrote: »

He played well but it will take a lot for me to forgive this tweet from him.

People say Mario is fcuked up, well this fella is a high grade weirdo.

2ly0cd0.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

OwaynOTT wrote: »

Ah, you'll need to make that more obvious, this early in the morning, e.g.
    "was Borini FAB-io?"

But...yes, he put in a good shift and a great cross for Mario's goal.
    It was an exciting performance, not Borin(g)i.

(see?) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Big take outs from that match are that Toure, Lambert and Markovic have no place being anywhere near the first team squad right now. Everyone else was decent/good.

Ah I wouldn't write Lambert off like that. Christm Mario would have been sold to Swabsea or someone five times over if Rodgers had written him off as quickly.

Just saw the goal, fantastic cross.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Bad examples there.
    Falcao it would appear is primarily focused on money. It wouldn't matter who was in charge for us, if we offered the 250k or whatever it is, he would come to us.
    Di Maria by all accounts was being shopped around and Utd. where the only ones willing to pay the fee and big wages as well.

We know that LFC don't operate yet on the paying lots of money front. A few stable years in the Champs League and we will start looking that way.

So basically, if Utd were still offering terms to both players, then Yes, they would still go there with Moyes in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Absolutely given the money that United are overpaying them on their wages. Di Maria would pay for Scunthorpe if they're giving him £280,000 a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Coutinho in 2 years could be the best player we have..hes still 22.. only thing really lacking is composure when shooting...

Super talent

The big difference from the Hull game were apparent after 30 seconds.

We pressed them and played higher up the pitch. Most of the play first half was between midfield and the final 3rd.

Coutinho was involved in all the play. He has to play all the time.

Playing two up top worked well. Borini was excellent I thought for a guy who hardly played this season. Great attitude too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

rarnes1 wrote: »
    The big difference from the Hull game were apparent after 30 seconds.

We pressed them and played higher up the pitch. Most of the play first half was between midfield and the final 3rd.

Coutinho was involved in all the play. He has to play all the time.

Playing two up top worked well. Borini was excellent I thought for a guy who hardly played this season. Great attitude too.

Why should any player have to play all the time, particularly someone like Coutinho who possesses all the attributes to be a regular starter, but who, above most others in the squad, litters his regular starts with days when he might as well not be out there?
    You might argue that if he was starting each week he'd develop that consistency, but can we afford to carry a passenger? Not this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

MD1990 wrote: »

B1EQvTSIIAEafQf.jpg

Spot on but awful fear that Rodgers will go back to 1 up front again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

This is it. Fabio and Mario to form an unbelievable Italian strike Force. Propelling Liverpool back into the glory days of SAS.

Italys international team will become a feared force with those two up front.

FABIO FANTASTICO!!
    MARIO MAGNIFICO!!
    OLE OLE

:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I thought it was more:

Borini
    Coutinho
    Markovic

Lambert

last night.

The big difference is always how aggressive and how high our attacking players press. They are our first line of attack (so many of our attacks start with interceptions in the opposition half when we play that way) and defense (they shield Gerrard as the ball doesn't get to him that often).

You'd wonder why we don't always play like that, but I'm sure it's not that simple. It's not an on/off switch.

Mignolet

Manquillo----Skrtel
    Lovren
    Moreno

Gerrard

Can
    Henderson

Coutinho

Balotelli
    Sterling

Might be a good shout. If Borini starts, it will likely be for Can, because I can't see 2 of Sterling/Coutinho/Lallana not starting

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement