Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Liverpool have won three and drawn one of their last 5 games.

#cornerturned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Did we look better without Gerrard last night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

That was what was needed last night, Balotelli, Borini and Lovren showing there worth and digging out a win.

Delighted to see Borini grab his chance last night, I still maintain he hasn't been given a proper run in the side, let him start against Newcastle with Balotelli. Rodgers really has no choice until Sturridge returns, his tired formation all season is only damaging the confidence of the players.

A couple of goals on the bounce from Mario and we will see a different player I'm certain of it. 3 points again Newcastle now is all that matters, we have the quality to go there and win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If we revert back to one up front against Newcastle it will be a joke!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

It didn't really seem like we played two up front last night.

Borini seemed to be playing on the wing several times from what I could tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

If we revert back to one up front against Newcastle it will be a joke!!

We played 1 up front last night :confused:

redzerdrog wrote: »

Borini droped in played of Balotelli when he came on from what I could see on my stream.

Yes he played wide for most of the game but he also knew when to drop into the centre when Lambert dropped deep or moved out wide, That is something none of our wing/forwards have been doing all season.

He gave Lambert & Balotelli to play off they new they could go deep and someone would drop in for them.

To a degree it doesn't matter where you think Borini was anchored, the mere fact of a willing runner on the pitch was difference by all accounts last night. You'd have to presume Rodgers started him to give him a chance to impress so hopefully he'll start against Newcastle (obvious Sunderland goal subtext here) with Balo and get his reward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

To a degree it doesn't matter where you think Borini was anchored, the mere fact of a willing runner on the pitch was difference by all accounts last night. You'd have to presume Rodgers started him to give him a chance to impress so hopefully he'll start against Newcastle (obvious Sunderland goal subtext here) with Balo and get his reward.

Nail on the head for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

redzerdrog wrote: »

We played two up front for about 15 minutes afer Bolotelli and banged in two goals. That's ore than the last three and a bit games.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

On the point of willing runners - something that I think needs to be mentioned about Marios goal last night:

We worked the ball from the back to get that opportunity, with Henderson bursting a gut to get on the ball and get things moving. We were coming towards the end of the game and he, to me, provided the increase in tempo from the base of midfield.

Where Gerrard will get his head up and play a long ball, Hendo kept his head down, passed moved, passed moved and eventually Borini was in space to whip in a great cross.

Henderson has improved immensely the last two years and I really look forward to seeing how he develops with Gerrard winding down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I missed the game last night (fell asleep at 7 till 10:D) how did we play overall, were we unlucky to go 1 down?, also how did borini get on did he have any chances, oh and jones how did he play?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

shamrock55 wrote: »
    I missed the game last night (fell asleep at 7 till 10:D) how did we play overall, were we unlucky to go 1 down?, also how did borini get on did he have any chances, oh and jones how did he play?

Our Midfield and Defense once again was Asleep for the Goal. Which is a Recurring Theme with Rodgers, so nothing new there.

Jones is basically a Clone of Mignolet. Made some Great Saves, but Dodgy as hell when Kicking or when the Opposition is Crossing.

Borini was the Difference last night. Worked really hard and never stopped running from Minute 1 till the end.

He got 2 Swansea Players in the Book. And he did it, not by Cheap Theatrics but by Grit and Determination and being a General Nuisance in Play.

Which is more than you can say for some of our Forwards.

Borini must at least make the Bench next Game. He's one of our few Forwards (Sterling, Lallana), that is willing to Run against the Opposition's Defense.

This is even more Telling, when you Factor in, that both the available Strikers (Balo, Lambert) we have right now, are too Static to do so. Specially in the Kind of Style we play in.

How this Escapes BR, I do not know.

Not to mention, why the Transfer Committee bought 2 Immobile Strikers that does not Fit our System.

I still maintain that if Borini had gotten the time Markovich was getting, I think our League Position right now, would have been better.

Not to mention, why the Transfer Committee bought 2 Immobile Strikers that does not Fit our System.

I still maintain that if Borini had gotten the time Markovich was getting, I think our League Position right now, would have been better.

Just as well Liverpool didn't actually buy Immobile as judged by his Dortmund career so far. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Our Midfield and Defense once again was Asleep for the Goal. Which is a Recurring Theme with Rodgers, so nothing new there.

I think that's harsh.

It took a big deflection and looped up and over behind Lovren.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Borini droped in played of Balotelli when he came on from what I could see on my stream.

Yes he played wide for most of the game but he also knew when to drop into the centre when Lambert dropped deep or moved out wide, That is something none of our wing/forwards have been doing all season.

He gave Lambert & Balotelli to play off they new they could go deep and someone would drop in for them.
    We played two up front for about 15 minutes afer Bolotelli and banged in two goals. That's ore than the last three and a bit games.

From what I saw we played 4-2-3-1 for the majority of the game, even when Balotelli came on (Which was about the 80th minute mark) I didnt particularly notice a change in formation. Also Balotelli's goal came from a cross from Borini when he was hugging the right touchline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Even if we play a 1 striker formation, at least with Borini on the wing he will see the space to attack better than our other attacking midfielders. He'll fill in for Balotelli when he drops deep and give the team another attacking outlet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Just as well Liverpool didn't actually buy Immobile as judged by his Dortmund career so far. 

was it a bad move?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

How did that 'Rodgers Out' march go last night? Any boards members take part in it!?!

How did that 'Rodgers Out' march go last night? Any boards members take part in it!?!

He thanked the thousands that turned up at the protest on twitter. I swear there isn't a bigger resource in the world for the uneducated than twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

There was a 'Rodgers Out' march? :confused:

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    There was a 'Rodgers Out' march? :confused:

Thank you to the thousands who turned up to support our #RodgersOut campaign before kick-off tonight. Together we will achieve this. #YNWA

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

WTF ?

Even if we play a 1 striker formation, at least with Borini on the wing he will see the space to attack better than our other attacking midfielders. He'll fill in for Balotelli when he drops deep and give the team another attacking outlet.

Yup. We played 4-2-3-1 even when Balo came in.

The Difference is that Borini is actually a Striker that can play on the Wing. Not only is he Versed with Rodger's System, he also possess the instinctive Knowledge to play CF when the need arises.

This is also the Reason, why the Suarez and Sturridge Partnership was so Effective.

And this is also the Reason why our Offense this Season has gone to the Dogs.

When Lambert and Balo drops deep, there's no one there to Act as an Anchor, thereby Stalling our Attack, and making us very easy to Defend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Markovic has made 4 league appearances. A combined 190 mins. Borini has made 2 league appearances with 94 mins combined.

Borini would make our league form better with an extra 2 appearances and 100 mins? He played well last night but lets not go crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

WTF ?

It's obviously being done by a United or Everton fan as a wind up.

It seems to be working. :pac:

NukaCola wrote: »
    Markovic has made 4 league appearances. A combined 190 mins. Borini has made 2 league appearances with 94 mins combined.

Borini would make our league form better with an extra 2 appearances and 100 mins? He played well last night but lets not go crazy.

Maybe.

But Borini has only played for us in the Cups.

Not to mention, Markovic has not Contributed anything of Note.

So for me, we could play anyone rather than him and it will still be an Improvement.

The sad thing is it's probably not.

Maybe.

But Borini has only played for us in the Cups.

Not to mention, Markovic has not Contributed anything of Note.

So for me, we could play anyone

Read my post again.

Markovic 190 mis in the League
    Borini 90 mins in the league.

If you said "If Borini got the game time Mario got our league form would be better" you may have a point.

Markovic has gotten little game time in the league also. Maybe your just so desperate to slate a young player in a new team and new league that your starting to post nonsense.

• Advertisement

Read my post again.

If you said "If Borini got the game time Mario got our league form would be better" you may have a point.

Markovic has gotten little game time in the league also. Maybe your just so desperate to slate a young player in a new team and new league that your starting to post nonsense.

That's a bit ott surely.

That's a bit ott surely.

Sounds like nonsense to me. If Borini got 100 more minutes in the league our league form would be better is his point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

rob316 wrote: »
    Thank you to the thousands who turned up to support our #RodgersOut campaign before kick-off tonight. Together we will achieve this. #YNWA

Read my post again.

Nope.

I've seen Markovic before he played for us, so I know what he can do.

To say I'm Disappointed with him, would be an Understatement.

It's like he lost his Balls somewhere in Transit, when he went to Liverpool from Benfica.

The Markovic there, Runs at Defenders all day long. Counterattacks even without Support.

Now? He's playing more Negative than Downing, and I never thought that was even Possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Nope.

It's like he lost his Balls somewhere in Transit, when he went to Liverpool from Benfica.

The Markovic there, Runs at Defenders all day long. Counterattacks even without Support.

Now? He's playing more Negative than Downing, and I never thought that was even Possible.

From what I'm reading on twitter, this appears to be the general consensus on Markovic. I wonder would it have been better to leave him on loan with Benfica for a year?

Would have been hard to sell that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I actually know a few people who want him gone already !

• Advertisement

Nope.

Apologies good sir, i've read a few posts from you on him and it did seem like you were being overly harsh.

The reality is he is 20, in a new team, new league, new training setup etc etc I would have a lot more patience for him knowing that he has the ability to get better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

rob316 wrote: »

Phase 2, hire plane for flyover.

Turtyturd wrote: »

It too busy flying over the Camp Nou - "COME HOME EL PISTELERO"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Turtyturd wrote: »

Nah...only complete idiots would hire a plane to do a flyover...oh wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Nope.

brevity wrote: »
    From what I'm reading on twitter, this appears to be the general consensus on Markovic. I wonder would it have been better to leave him on loan with Benfica for a year?

Would have been hard to sell that though.

In the way he's been handled right from the get-go, I think it's clear he was bought for the future. Sure,he's expensive, but i'd say the feeling is that another year at Benfica and he'd simply have been unattainable for us.

Just the fact that he was bought for a position where he likely wouldn't have been first choice to begin with backs this up I think.

I'm not terribly worried about him to be honest. Anyone who has moved to a whole new place, alone, at any age (let alone 20!) can likely attest to how big a shock it is. Confidence and self belief take a bit of a hammering, especially when you can't even express yourself in daily life due to language barriers. Give him 6 months and I'd bet he'll look a lot better.

Would love to see him play with the U-21's for a little bit, have him build some confidence just by destroying some kids with his pace, as a reminder to himself of what he can do. Away from the limelight, TV cameras and judgement, it'd be good for him to just enjoy playing football i think.

Before anyone compares him to Sterling again - Sterling would have cost at least twice what Markovic did, likely more. Would we have sold for 40 million last summer? Doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    In the way he's been handled right from the get-go, I think it's clear he was bought for the future. Sure,he's expensive, but i'd say the feeling is that another year at Benfica and he'd simply have been unattainable for us.

Just the fact that he was bought for a position where he likely wouldn't have been first choice to begin with backs this up I think.

I'm not terribly worried about him to be honest. Anyone who has moved to a whole new place, alone, at any age (let alone 20!) can likely attest to how big a shock it is. Confidence and self belief take a bit of a hammering, especially when you can't even express yourself in daily life due to language barriers. Give him 6 months and I'd bet he'll look a lot better.

Would love to see him play with the U-21's for a little bit, have him build some confidence just by destroying some kids with his pace, as a reminder to himself of what he can do. Away from the limelight, TV cameras and judgement, it'd be good for him to just enjoy playing football i think.

Before anyone compares him to Sterling again - Sterling would have cost at least twice what Markovic did, likely more. Would we have sold for 40 million last summer? Doubt it.

The key thing to remember with Sterling is many would have sold him for 10 million 12 months ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

The key thing to remember with Sterling is many would have sold him for 10 million 12 months ago

I don't remember many wanting him sold but quite a few wanted him sent out on loan alright.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I think that Lazar is concentrating on the other aspects of play that are expected of him that he may have neglected in the past few years. From what I can gauge, he was let off the leash and allowed to all out attack. Now with us he needs to show his defensive side as well, so I think he is holding back a bit so he can get into a defensive position if needed.
    I am more than willing to give him til next year to see more of his threat.

When did we all become so stupid and impatient?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

In and around the start of the season......when we realised the team is going backwards.

The thing with Markovic I don't think even at the £20m price he was brought in to go straight into the first team.

lallana's injury probably did help with that If Lallana had been fit at the start of the season he would have been starting ahead of Markovic,Then Markovic could have been used as an impact sub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

The thing with Markovic I don't think even at the £20m price he was brought in to go straight into the first team.

lallana's injury probably did help with that If Lallana had been fit at the start of the season he would have been starting ahead of Markovic,Then Markovic could have been used as an impact sub.

This is what I find strange about the Balotelli witch hunt at the moment. Markovic has been worse despite the fact we paid more for him yet he's not getting anywhere near the same amount of grief. Lovren, also, more expensive than Balotelli has been underwhelming to put it mildly.

Liverpool's entire team have been poor, bar Sterling imo. But with all that said, the team is doing a lot better this season than we deserve. Had huge amounts of luck to get results this season and really performances can only get better as the new team gels. I can see things falling into place after Xmas and Liverpool really kicking on as the new players tactically get to know their roles in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Birth, I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Lads does anyone know a website I can watch matches on the iPad? Pm me if you know (not sure if I'm allowed ask this).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

gafferino wrote: »
    Lads does anyone know a website I can watch matches on the iPad? Pm me if you know (not sure if I'm allowed ask this).

There is an app called 'live media player' that I got from the App Store, that I use to watch whatever live stuff I can't access on TV. It works great tbh.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement