Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

After coming so close to the league title last year, we can see that we are not the same team since then. Actually winning something and progressing brings the mentality that we can win more.

I'm one of those wierdo fans that wants us to compete and win in all competitions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

The League Cup final is little more than a day out for fans of clubs with any ambition. Winning it is forgotten about in a matter of days.
    It's position on the calendar doesn't help either, it would probably mean a bit more if it was moved to the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

You don't give a **** whether we win a trophy or not? Then what's the point? Football is about winning trophies, having those days that the fans can remember and give them a chance to lord over their rivals. If I stopped caring about winning cups then id stop watching Liverpool tbh.

How about some pre-season trophy? Or the Community Shield?

To me the League Cup is about that level of worthlessness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Id take a league cup and 3rd/4th right now

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭gugsy

When you have cl and league to contest in, the league cup is no where in comparison. We haven't the squad to compete in all comp. Yes dont get me wrong a cup is always great, but i feel this year we need to cement ourselves in the top 4 and a good run in cl. Id take a loss over bournemouth for that anyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I'd feel bad if we went out, as with any loss, but I'd take a league or CL win over any win in the cup, up to the final.
    It's a real trophy, at the end of the day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Premier league title
    Champions League
    Top 4 in league
    FA Cup
    League cup

It's not our highest priority, but it would be great to win it. I'd still be resting most of the team for Bournemouth. Massive week we can afford to have the likes of Lallana, Borini, Allen, Enrique, Lucas etc starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Premier league title- No chance this season
    Champions League- No chance this season
    Top 4 in league- A good chance and what we should focus on.
    FA Cup-Outside chance depending on draw.
    League cup-A very good chance at winning need to go for it

It's not our highest priority, but it would be great to win it. I'd still be resting most of the team for Bournemouth. Massive week we can afford to have the likes of Lallana, Borini, Allen, Enrique, Lucas etc starting.

Thats how I see it right now.

The day I don't care about Liverpool winning a trophy is the day I stop following football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

In all fairness, if we as a club are not able to challenge for 3/4th and the league cup or the FA Cup, then we have bigger problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

It is easy enough to say that the League Cup is nothing more than a day out and not really important for a club with ambition, when you've been knocked out and humiliated by MK Dons.

Highlights from recent U21 game lost 3-2 AGAIN thanks to poor basic defending - set pieces and pressuring the ball outside the box. We play too many "ball playing" CMs, Rossiter is the only consistantly good defensive CM we have. Chirivella is in theory, but has yet to make his mark fully, and Jordan Williams can do that, but has often played CB or RB when I've seen him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

LOAN WATCH

Texieria - 10 mins in 1-1 Championship draw and 25 mins in 0-2 defeat League Cup
    Wisdom - played full Championship 2-2 draw and was unused sub in League Cup defeat
    Alberto - No game
    Ibe - played 46 mins in Wigan League game & 75 mins in 2-5 win for Derby in League Cup
    Origi - Played full game in 2-0 home defeat and full game in 0-0 EL tie
    Ilori - Injured
    Assiadi - unused sub in League Cup game
    Coates - injured

Re Aspas - I'm not including him as the loan deal is the prelude to a permanent offer, he won't be back to Liverpool either way.

Brad Smith recalled for contract reasons (between him and Liverpool)

The talk on the North Stand Chat is pretty hostile re Hyypia right now, while no one was expecting a win last night I suspect he could be one bad result away from the sack with the international window coming up. Teixiera is getting less game time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Winning the league cup lies below finishing 4th so it's not really important.

“The reason why he’s been recalled is because of a contract dispute with Liverpool,” Garb told the Fox Football Podcast.
    “He hasn’t signed a new deal with the Reds.
    “Liverpool have said: ‘we’re not going to loan you out and get you experience until you’ve committed to our club. Until that’s sorted … why would we invest in you?”
    Garb added: “He’s a top kid with a great future … probably more as a left winger than a left back…

I tend to agree, I can see him as a Milner or Kilbane type character. Able to play LB but more comfortable further up. Makes him a great squad option, assuming he signs up!
    The talk on the North Stand Chat is pretty hostile re Hyypia right now, while no one was expecting a win last night I suspect he could be one bad result away from the sack with the international window coming up. Teixiera is getting less game time.

I can understand, when under pressure, he's not going to trust a flair player like that as much. But when you are not scoring goals, you need people with a spark on the pitch...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

RasTa wrote: »

Trophies are always important! Top 4 is the primary target yes but we should have a squad big enough to challenge for other competitions.

It is easy enough to say that the League Cup is nothing more than a day out and not really important for a club with ambition, when you've been knocked out and humiliated by MK Dons.

It's easy to say it at any time of the year, if you want to search through my posts you'll find it's an opinion I've always held.

Maybe if United didn't win a league title for 20 odd years and became a spent force my feelings might change but right now and for the foreseeable future it's a nothing competition to me and I'd guess the majority of United, City and Chelsea fans.

edit: saved you the trouble

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88604972&postcount=4912

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Premier league title
    Champions League
    Top 4 in league
    Europa League
    FA Cup
    League cup

Fixed that for you there....lets not completely rule that one out just yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

It's easy to say it at any time of the year, if you want to search through my posts you'll find it's an opinion I've always held.

Maybe if United didn't win a league title for 20 odd years and became a spent force my feelings might change but right now and for the foreseeable future it's a nothing competition to me and I'd guess the majority of United, City and Chelsea fans.

City seemed happy enough to win it last season!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

gucci wrote: »
    Fixed that for you there....lets not completely rule that one out just yet!

Europa League? Christ, if we don't qualify from our group I hope we finish last. Too many matches and all at a time when we'll need to be focussing our energies on securing 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

mosstin wrote: »
    Europa League? Christ, if we don't qualify from our group I hope we finish last. Too many matches and all at a time when we'll need to be focussing our energies on securing 4th.

Don't forget winning the Europa League this season gets you a CL spot.

kfallon wrote: »

I'm sure United glumly accepted their medals in 2010 and our friend Will I Amnt wouldn't even let himself crack a smile at the TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

LOAN WATCH

Texieria - 10 mins in 1-1 Championship draw and 25 mins in 0-2 defeat League Cup
    Wisdom - played full Championship 2-2 draw and was unused sub in League Cup defeat
    Alberto - No game
    Ibe - played 46 mins in Wigan League game & 75 mins in 2-5 win for Derby in League Cup
    Origi - Played full game in 2-0 home defeat and full game in 0-0 EL tie
    Ilori - Injured
    Assiadi - unused sub in League Cup game
    Coates - no game for Sunderland (again)

You're forgetting someone:

Liverpool FC's Iago Aspas bags a hat trick for Sevilla - including a world class volley

kfallon wrote: »

Of course, have you heard much about it since?

I'm sure United glumly accepted their medals in 2010 and our friend Will I Amnt wouldn't even let himself crack a smile at the TV

I'm happy every time United win a game, of course I wanted them to win it but it was forgotten about almost immediately afterwards.

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »

My head says this is right but my heart says that lifting a trophy can be very important for a club. Especially one with quite a few young players.

It would be important for Rodgers as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Anybody else worried about Tex not getting much game time at Brighton?

You'd think with his talent he'd be pushing for a starting berth most weeks. That said I havent' been tracking him much over the past few weeks - has he been getting much time overall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

brevity wrote: »
    My head says this is right but my heart says that lifting a trophy can be very important for a club. Especially one with quite a few young players.

It would be important for Rodgers as well.
    I think it's more important to the club to keep revenues as high as possible in continuing to build and coming 4th in the league dwarves the league cup or FA cup in that regard

Though I do agreee that it'd be good for the young guys to win a trophy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

LOAN WATCH
    Coates - no game for Sunderland (again)

I enjoy the loan watch Harry but I think I've corrected this every week. Coates is injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

brevity wrote: »
    In all fairness, if we as a club are not able to challenge for 3/4th and the league cup or the FA Cup, then we have bigger problems.

I think we've been fortunate so far this season that no other club has really pushed on in the league except Chelsea. Hopefully we can click soon and take advantage of that-of course quite a few of our rivals will be thinking the same thing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

mosstin wrote: »

I agree regarding the top four places but IIRC there are only 2 "extra"matches involved to win the Europa league Vs the Champions League once the failed Champions league sides drop in.

It obvioulsy becomes a tricky balancing act between Thursday and Sunday games and professional playersand managers in the UK not being able to figure out how to play to that schedule.
    Don't forget winning the Europa League this season gets you a CL spot.
    Which is why I would put it above the FA and League Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

D'Agger wrote: »
    Anybody else worried about Tex not getting much game time at Brighton?

You'd think with his talent he'd be pushing for a starting berth most weeks. That said I havent' been tracking him much over the past few weeks - has he been getting much time overall?

I think he missed a few games with an injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

To win the league cup would mean only 4 more games to do so (semi final is a 2 leg affair isint it?) to not go for it now would be bitterly dissapointing considering its not that much of a distraction to us at this stage, finishing 2nd was great last year but its nothing to write home about, trophies are what its all about.

You can see why the term sunshine supporters is labelled at certain "fans" (from every club)

Try telling X cup isn't a load of nonsense to guys that go to games week in week out and you'd probably get a slap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Everyone agrees the League Cup is the least important trophy on offer.

United suffer humiliating defeat in League Cup.

Liverpool go on decent League Cup run.

United fan arrives in Liverpool thread to remind everyone how unimportant League Cup is.

I guess that's just the way of the world.

tok9 wrote: »
    I enjoy the loan watch Harry but I think I've corrected this every week. Coates is injured.

Moan Watch?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

A trophy is better than no trophy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I normally don't care much about domestic cups but I think the squad is now just about deep enough to be serious and clearly quarter finals to a Championship side (albeit a good one) is an opportunity that should be taken.

klose wrote: »
    To win the league cup would mean only 4 more games to do so (semi final is a 2 leg affair isint it?) to not go for it now would be bitterly dissapointing considering its not that much of a distraction to us at this stage, finishing 2nd was great last year but its nothing to write home about, trophies are what its all about.

Trophies are important. But I'd rather finish second in the league than win any of the domestic cups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

I as a fan want a cup more than 4th as I'm not into the whole money aspect of CL. even though its better for the club revenue wise. But as a fan where revenue shouldn't matter I want a Trophy!
    We have CL football this year its great did we attract any big players no cause we won't pay the money. United havent but got the big players, so whats the point in as a fan worrying about CL spots and revenue etc.. I used to get upset over how much they paid for certain players. Now I dont its more of the type of player regardless of price..

• Advertisement

Players and supporters want silverware. Thankfully that will never change.

Realistically we have a shout at 2 trophies at the beginning of every season. I'd be over the moon with either.

benny79 wrote: »
    We have CL football this year its great did we attract any big players no cause we won't pay the money. United havent but got the big players, so whats the point in as a fan worrying about CL spots and revenue etc..

Good point actually.

Milkers wrote: »
    Everyone agrees the League Cup is the least important trophy on offer.

United suffer humiliating defeat in League Cup.

Liverpool go on decent League Cup run.

United fan arrives in Liverpool thread to remind everyone how unimportant League Cup is.

I guess that's just the way of the world.

Cop on ffs, it was a Liverpool fan that brought it up. One person replied to Gbear when he mentioned it, I agree with him and I get the flak.

I guess that's just the way of the world

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

The League Cup final is little more than a day out for fans of clubs with any ambition. Winning it is forgotten about in a matter of days.
    It's position on the calendar doesn't help either, it would probably mean a bit more if it was moved to the end of the season.

edit: saved you the trouble

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88604972&postcount=4912
    Of course, have you heard much about it since?
    I'm happy every time United win a game, of course I wanted them to win it but it was forgotten about almost immediately afterwards.
    Cop on ffs, it was a Liverpool fan that brought it up. One person replied to Gbear when he mentioned it, I agree with him and I get the flak.

I guess that's just the way of the world

What are any of these posts contributing to the thread. What have any of em got to do with liverpool? I dunno what youre trying to achieve or why, but have a think about it next time youre whining about a liverpool fan spoiling a Utd thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I normally don't care much about domestic cups but I think the squad is now just about deep enough to be serious and clearly quarter finals to a Championship side (albeit a good one) is an opportunity that should be taken.

Absolutely, last season I was against taking domestic cup runs serious as our squad was tiny. With the size of squad we have there is no reason why we cant contest both FA and League Cup for as long as possible.

If we could win a cup and finish Top 4, that IMO would be steady progress on last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Top 4 and a respectable CL run. Domestic Cups are just day trips.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Tbh if the club (IF) got to the final of any domestic cup and played PL opposition and prevailed I'd be very happy. I wasn't overly impressed with that Coca Cola Cup final against Cardiff. Wasn't that the season we were also against Chelsea in the FA Cup?

MR NINE wrote: »
    What are any of these posts contributing to the thread. What have any of em got to do with liverpool? I dunno what youre trying to achieve or why, but have a think about it next time youre whining about a liverpool fan spoiling a Utd thread

If you have a problem with the posts being off topic then you know what to do. All of those posts are replies bar one where I was agreeing with someone.

I'm embarrassed for you thinking you're proving something here, what you have just done makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Cant find the image this relates to but its from last week when there was a pic floating around of him chatting to a young lad & his dad leaning over the wall at Melwood.

B1MQAb1IIAAS9be.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

I think the league cup should definitely be taken seriously, and would be delighted if we won it. Winning a trophy is always good, and many of our players have never won one so im sure theyd love to win it. Id also be happy for rodgers if he managed to avoid the illustrious company of Roy Hodgson as being the only Liverpool manager to have not won a trophy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement