Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

I don't get the Welbeck Deal. Unlike most here, I actually Rate him.

I think this one will come back to bite Man U.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Vicxas wrote: »
    So its 11, whats the deal with the Falcao to UTD now?

From the Guardian.
    Clubs sometimes conclude deals at the last minute and it is not always easy for them to get everything completed and sent over by 11pm. The deal sheet allows a club to confirm that a deal has been reached in order to allow for additional time to submit the remaining documentation.

The sheet cannot be used prior to 9pm and needs to arrive fully completed before the transfer window closes. Once the sheet arrives, clubs have got until 1am in which to submit the full paperwork. But if a club are looking to complete an international transfer, it still has to comply with the FIFA Transfer Matching System (TMS) deadline of midnight.

So that suggests Manchester United have until midnight UK time (about 45 minutes) while Arsenal have until 1am UK time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,280 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

fksbgn.jpg

LOL

Indeed

Overpaying double for a left winger that doesn't fit your formation, buying two left backs for new centre backs and paying 20m + in wages in fees to loan a cf you don't need and who wants to be at Madrid is something to gloat about :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Falcao will be done, this stuff happens all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

fksbgn.jpg

LOL

Here's a ridiculous gif that I once found, as a sort of thank you present for your ridiculous post.

animal-photobombs-6.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Sturridge only scored 30 goals in 134 apps before he went to Liverpool. Welbeck is a fantastic bit of business.

I doubt even Jim White would stretch to calling it a "fantastic" bit of business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I don't get the Welbeck Deal. Unlike most here, I actually Rate him.

I think this one will come back to bite Man U.

He is a striker that doesn't score goals. I know there is more to his game but arsenal are crying out for a natural goalscorer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

There's nothing ridiculous about that gif, its an awesome gif, those cute doggyy woggies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

fksbgn.jpg

LOL

2 points from as easy a start as you could hope for.

LOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

gafferino wrote: »
    Negredo gone to Valencia

Would we have been interested if we hadn't already signed Balo?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Shame United didn't sign these attacking options earlier in the summer. They've have only lost 4-1 to MK Dons then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Slattsy wrote: »
    There's nothing ridiculous about that gif, its an awesome gif, those cute doggyy woggies.

The photobomb at the end gets me every time.

niallo27 wrote: »
    He is a striker that doesn't score goals. I know there is more to his game but arsenal are crying out for a natural goalscorer.

He maybe a Striker, but he's rarely been played as one.

I made a Post awhile back, comparing him to Sturridge, though I'm too lazy to Find it now.

But the Gist of it, is that I think Welbeck has the same Tools as Danny has, except he doesn't have a Manager that makes the Best use of it.

Danny is Fortunate that he has BR, a Manager that has Faith in him. Rather than Shunt him wide to accomodate Suarez, he played them both as Co-Strikers with equal billing.

Welbeck isn't as Fortunate. He always plays 2nd Fiddle to either Rooney and/or RVP out Wide.

We'll see, but I think he'll Flourish in Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

He maybe a Striker, but he's rarely been played as one.

I made a Post awhile back, comparing him to Sturridge, though I'm too lazy to Find it now.

But the Gist of it, is that I think Welbeck has the same Tools as Danny has, except he doesn't have a Manager that makes the Best use of it.

Danny is Fortunate that he has BR, a Manager that has Faith in him. Rather than Shunt him wide to accomodate Suarez, he played them both as Co-Strikers with equal billing.

Welbeck isn't as Fortunate. He always plays 2nd Fiddle to either Rooney and/or RVP out Wide.

We'll see, but I think he'll Flourish in Arsenal.

Sturridge was always a good finisher though even before he came to Liverpool (when he was given the chance).

I don't think Welbeck is a good finisher even on the odd occasion when he's had his chances up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Alderweireld is a Southampton player!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Sturridge was always a good finisher though even before he came to Liverpool (when he was given the chance).

I don't think Welbeck is a good finisher even on the odd occasion when he's had his chances up front.

Ya I agree. Sturridge has a touch of fowler about him he is a natural finisher. Wellbeck doesn't have that in his game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Fizman wrote: »
    Alderweireld is a Southampton player!?

Yep, loan deal for the year.

Good bit of business from Southampton

We had Fans saying that about Suarez, on his 2nd Season with us, and well look at him now.

Finishing can definitely be Improved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Toby Alderweireld has signed for Southampton on a season loan. Our feeder club testing him in the Premier League for a year before he joins us :pac:

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I don't think Welbeck will exactly flourish, but I think he will do alright given a run of games in his preferred position which is not something he got at utd really. I hope though that he does as well as the last player (I think) to go to Arsenal from utd, Silvestre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Very happy with the window bar a keeper coming in cant have asked for much more really, on paper we are set for the present and future bar gerrard really but thats a bridge we will cross when we come to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

My Levy's got no money,
    He's got his Stambouli.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

klose wrote: »
    Very happy with the window bar a keeper coming in cant have asked for much more really, on paper we are set for the present and future bar gerrard really but thats a bridge we will cross when we come to it.

The Valdes deal can be completed whenever as hes a free agent. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Welbeck doesn't have the composure in front of goal to be talked about in the same sentence as Sturridge right now. He has the same scoring record of a Shane Long or perhaps a Carlton Cole ... nothing to be worried about. Sure scoring can be improved upon simply with games and the number of chances that can be made for him at Arsenal - but watching the guy at the moment there is little evidence to suggest that he is anything more than a human battering ram type player with limited ability in front of goal. Whatever about Moyes/LVG i'd suggest that Fergie rarely got this type of thing wrong, when you are used as a defencive wideman when your position is centre forward then the writing is on the wall.

One thing for sure is at Arsenal he will get chances and Wenger can play to his strengths ... i wouldn't be too surprised if he had a decent season for them but i'd be shocked if he got anywhere near the type of scoring stats that Sturridge has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Danny welbeck 26 games for sunderland and he scored 6 goals . Danny Sturrigde at bolton 12 games played and he scored 8 goals . That says it all to me they would have been played in their preferred positions at a young age and Sturrigde shined for Bolton while welbeck wasn't great at all .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Sturridge before Liverpool and Welbeck have pretty similar goal scoring stats for what it's worth

I think United are tired of waiting though at this stage, he is the same as he was 3 years ago. Needs 10 chances to score 1

If he ends up doing a Sturridge it still doesn't change United being right to sell him on now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Sturridge is better than Welbeck but i still think a run for Welbeck in his preferred position would push him on big time. He has a good touch and can cause problems to even the biggest teams. Scored in the Bernabeau (iirc) and gave Bayern a good run for their money in the Champions League last season. His athleticism and good touch are difficult for even top players to deal with

Sturridge before Liverpool and Welbeck have pretty similar goal scoring stats for what it's worth

I think United are tired of waiting though at this stage, he is the same as he was 3 years ago. Needs 10 chances to score 1

If he ends up doing a Sturridge it still doesn't change United being right to sell him on now

Both went on loan spells and welbecks was a pretty bad one if you ask me . I don't think he is top drawer striker he is medioocre at best and will give you work rate and not too much else .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Actually Welbeck looks like your typical Wenger player, will be decent but not prolific id imagine. Good deal for united pricewise.

• Advertisement

Both went on loan spells and welbecks was a pretty bad one if you ask me . I don't think he is top drawer striker he is medioocre at best and will give you work rate and not too much else .

It doesn't matter really, they both still have similar goal scoring stats regardless of whether you think one had a better loan spell than the other

Welbeck is known for his awful finishing but so was Sturridge before Liverpool too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

It doesn't matter really, they both still have similar goal scoring stats regardless of whether you think one had a better loan spell than the other

Welbeck is known for his awful finishing but so was Sturridge before Liverpool too

Was he? Genuinely I've never heard that criticism. It was usually that he was lazy, uninterested, selfish..

I'm sorry but welbeck is awful compared to Sturrigde they are both Strikers . Welbeck games played 175 goals 37 . Sturrigde has played 192 games and scored 74 goals .

I'm sorry but welbeck is awful compared to Sturrigde they are both Strikers . Welbeck games played 175 goals 37 . Sturrigde has played 192 games and scored 74 goals .

You're not being fair with that comparison though. How many of those 175 games was Welbeck playing on the right or left wing? I agree Sturridge is better. I really rate Sturridge. But i think Welbeck is a lot better than he is given credit for.

See now you realise you are wrong and are moving the goal posts

As I said, pre Liverpool Sturridge and Welbeck have similar goal scoring stats, both were criticised about their finishing, it's complete double standards of you to say that Welbeck can't do what Sturridge has despite the situations being almost the exact same.

I'm no fan of Welbeck but it would be stupid of me to rule out him improving his finishing and becoming a good striker

Peist2007 wrote: »
    You're not being fair with that comparison though. How many of those 175 games was Welbeck playing on the right or left wing? I agree Sturridge is better. I really rate Sturridge. But i think Welbeck is a lot better than he is given credit for.

He is greater worker and the likes but he isn't going to be a top striker . He isn't in the same league as sturrigde . I'm sorry if people think I'm being harsh but its my view on them as players .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

He is greater worker and the likes but he isn't going to be a top striker . He isn't in the same league as sturrigde . I'm sorry if people think I'm being harsh but its my view on them as players .

Would you have had the same opinion at the time Sturridge was signed?

Soups123 wrote: »
    Would you have had the same opinion at the time Sturridge was signed?

I wasn't overly impressed with sturrigde when he signed . I thought a goal scorer but he was greedy and selfish . That was his main flaw in my eyes before he was signed . But if I was given the choice welbeck or sturrigde at the time I would have said sturrigde hands down .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I wasn't overly impressed with sturrigde when he signed . I thought a goal scorer but he was greedy and selfish . That was his main flaw in my eyes before he was signed . But if I was given the choice welbeck or sturrigde at the time I would have said sturrigde hands down .
    So Sturridge proved you wrong? And you didn't rate him as a top striker?

And yet after been proved wrong you don't think a similar player could do the same?

Well i think Sturridge is excellent but he aint a top striker either. Of course that depends on your definition of a top striker. A top striker to me is one that any fan across the world would name as a "top striker". I think Sturridge is widely acknowledged as excellent in Britain but wouldnt be on radars worldwide. I could be wrong of course but that's my opinion. Of course he is good enough to improve and playing in the Champions League this season will give an indication. He's second tier when you are talking guys like Zlatan and, dare i say, Falcao ;)

Edit: and absolutely of course, Luis Suarez. I dont think you'd put Sturridge in the same bracket as Suarez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Who are signing in january lads?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Victor Valdes rumoured to be signing when fit, to give myself a bit of coaching and competition!

klose wrote: »
    Who are signing in january lads?

Vidal, Suarez and Defoe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Benitez inherited a team with a terrific spine to it – Hyypia, Henchoz, Carragher, Finnan, Hamman, Gerrard, Owen (albeit sold in Rafa’s first summer)

Sure, Rodgers inherited some good players too – Suarez in particular, but in the main he inherited a bloated, overpaid, ageing squad. Our attack was creaking with Bellamy, Kuyt, Maxi, Carroll not performing.

He has completely transformed the profile of the squad, where we are now the youngest team in the league, playing some of the best football in the league.

The three seasons before Rafa came in Liverpool’s average position was 3rd/4th.
    The three seasons before Rodgers came in Liverpool’s average position was 7th.

Rafa did a great job at Liverpool, but I think it’s fair to say he came in to a slightly better position than Rodgers.

The 5 course version of my Supermacs garlic cheese chip.
    My sentiments exactly.

BenThere wrote: »
    What series is that? I think I watched a few episodes of a (formerly) rich dysfunctional family but didn't keep up with it. Was it any good? Winter is coming so I need to build up a store of box sets for the nights there's no decent football to watch.

Ben

I always knew something was off with you Ben, now I know what it is that's off.
    Come on! Never kept up with such a quality series, or maybe you just took a forget me now.

Wellbeck is a decent replacement for bendtner, at a ridiculous price :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

niallo27 wrote: »
    Ya I agree. Sturridge has a touch of fowler about him he is a natural finisher. Wellbeck doesn't have that in his game.

2nd that. If he doesn't have the finishing by now he will always be average imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Well i think Sturridge is excellent but he aint a top striker either.

If Sturridge isn't a top striker I don't know who is to be honest. Bizarrely he still seems to be underrated by many.

36 goals in 50 games for Liverpool. He has a better scoring record in that time than Rush, Fowler, Owen, Suarez, etc.

Amazing consistency and regularity in scoring as well. Doesn't score in bunches like some strikers who get 2 or 3 but then don't score for a while. He has just one hat-trick and has scored two or more goals in just five games - but he finds the target in lots of matches.

He also outstrips Falcao (30 goals in his last half-century of appearances), Benzema (24 goals in his last 50 matches) and Cavani (32 goals in last 50).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

One on one with the keeper, there are few players i'd trust more than Sturridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Soups123 wrote: »
    So Sturridge proved you wrong? And you didn't rate him as a top striker?

And yet after been proved wrong you don't think a similar player could do the same?

How are Sturridge and Welbeck similar players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Well i think Sturridge is excellent but he aint a top striker either. Of course that depends on your definition of a top striker. A top striker to me is one that any fan across the world would name as a "top striker". I think Sturridge is widely acknowledged as excellent in Britain but wouldnt be on radars worldwide. I could be wrong of course but that's my opinion. Of course he is good enough to improve and playing in the Champions League this season will give an indication. He's second tier when you are talking guys like Zlatan and, dare i say, Falcao ;)

Edit: and absolutely of course, Luis Suarez. I dont think you'd put Sturridge in the same bracket as Suarez

I think Sturridge is a top player.....not a top top player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

NukaCola wrote: »
    How are Sturridge and Welbeck similar players?

Both Strikers of similar age, height, hair and color of jersey they wore.

Oh and they're both fond of dancing.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement