Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

MR NINE wrote: »
    What are any of these posts contributing to the thread. What have any of em got to do with liverpool? I dunno what youre trying to achieve or why, but have a think about it next time youre whining about a liverpool fan spoiling a Utd thread

It's safe to say this poster is well known on the soccer board for want of a better word!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

clip-art-ironing-694522.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

What are any of these posts contributing to the thread. What have any of em got to do with liverpool? I dunno what youre trying to achieve or why, but have a think about it next time youre whining about a liverpool fan spoiling a Utd thread
    Oranage2 wrote: »
    It's safe to say this poster is well known on the soccer board for want of a better word!
    Aw now lads, it's just a bit of Willi waving:pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

If you have a problem with the posts being off topic then you know what to do. All of those posts are replies bar one where I was agreeing with someone.

I'm embarrassed for you thinking you're proving something here, what you have just done makes no sense.

"I'm embarrassed for you" - now William, do we have to have another conversation about you and your little victories. I mean, I get that its a Utd thing (Its a Jersey thing!) but come on, reel it in a bit son.

the league cup is what it is, the poor mans FA Cup. generally a good place to blood youngsters and the like and can make for some quite interesting matches late on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

ush wrote: »
    Top 4 and a respectable CL run. Domestic Cups are just day trips.

Once you get to the quarter-finals of any cup competition you might as well try and win it. Different matter if you are knocked out early but once you reach the business end you have to go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Of course, have you heard much about it since?

Eh it was only mentioned a few times last night..... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Balotelli has just been criticised on Sky Sports by Andy Hinchcliffe for not celebrating his goal "correctly".

Talk about nitpicking, Balotelli has already explained why he doesn't celebrate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

BMMachine wrote: »
    "I'm embarrassed for you" - now William, do we have to have another conversation about you and your little victories.

5live wrote: »
    Aw now lads, it's just a bit of Willi waving:pac:
    Oranage2 wrote: »
    I dunno what youre trying to achieve or why, but have a think about it next time youre whining about a liverpool fan spoiling a Utd thread
    I'm sure United glumly accepted their medals in 2010 and our friend Will I Amnt wouldn't even let himself crack a smile at the TV
    Milkers wrote: »
    United fan arrives in Liverpool thread to remind everyone how unimportant League Cup is.

Can any of you actually argue what I posted or is it just another case of attack the username???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Balotelli has just been criticised on Sky Sports by Andy Hinchcliffe for not celebrating his goal "correctly".

Talk about nitpicking, Balotelli has already explained why he doesn't celebrate.

He is the devil incarnate don't ya know

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Can any of you actually argue what I posted or is it just another case of attack the username???

watcha post? something about the league cup being unimportant?

You are kinda right. its the least important of all the cups during a season. this is not news. now stop trying to score imaginary points in your head and move on with your life

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Guise stahp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Either they're making a concerted effort to attack Balotelli for purely cynical reasons or almost the entirity of football media are debilitatingly stupid.

It's hard to know which scenario is worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

What a moronic thing to say. He actually did the right thing by getting the ball out of the back of the net and trying to the game going again.

I remember Suarez and Gerrard doing something similar last season and they were applauded for it but Balotelli "didn't celebrate properly"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

BMMachine wrote: »
    You are kinda right. its the least important of all the cups during a season. this is not news.

You realise this isn't a news website but rather a discussion forum right? The merits of the league cup are as applicable to this thread as a new signing, old players, games etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Bournemouth v Liverpool is a Sky pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

skywalker wrote: »
    Cant find the image this relates to but its from last week when there was a pic floating around of him chatting to a young lad & his dad leaning over the wall at Melwood.

B1MQAb1IIAAS9be.jpg

The story is on the official site now. Heres the image I mentioned earlier & a few others from the story.

B1MuxhIIAAAj2np.jpg

B1Muw8lIgAEaq6_.jpg

B1MuypEIIAAUvTX.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Gbear wrote: »
    Winning the league cup would mean almost nothing to me.

I was kinda shocked in 2012 when we won it and I found myself really not giving a ****. Of course it probably didn't help that it was a poor game and it was against Cardiff.

:confused:

What the **** would the quality of a game or the opposition have to do with taking away from the club's significant achievements. Would be more than happy if every single game was a **** 1 - 0 bore fest if we won every time.
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    The day I don't care about Liverpool winning a trophy is the day I stop following football

Right.
    Id take a league cup and 3rd/4th right now

Yep, that would be great.

Winning a trophy is always brilliant. But I think if Rodgers is to survive long term it's something that needs to happen. Getting a trophy gets everyone a taste of winning and removes the 'no trophy in X years' monkey off the backs.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    :confused:

What the **** would the quality of a game or the opposition have to do with taking away from the club's significant achievements. Would be more than happy if every single game was a **** 1 - 0 bore fest if we won every time.

If it had been against Chelsea or something then the game would've mattered more because it's nice to beat Chelsea. But the cup itself is scarcely more important than the Community Shield.

It's a nothing trophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

If it had been against Chelsea or something then the game would've mattered more because it's nice to beat Chelsea. But the cup itself is scarcely more important than the Community Shield.

It's a nothing trophy.

Very weird logic to devalue winning something because of the opposition you face in the final though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

All I'm seeing there is some scouse dad and his kid trying to rob a ball from Ballotelli at training, and then the kid trying a carjack on a clearly worried Mario.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Very weird logic to devalue winning something because of the opposition you face in the final though.

That's not what I'm doing.

I don't put much value in the fact that it's a league Cup Final regardless who the opposition is.

However, everything else being equal, the value I place in a match depends on the opposition.

So I could get reasonably excited about playing a big team in a friendly whereas playing Scunthorpe in the 3rd rnd of the FA cup isn't terribly exciting.

That's not what I'm doing.

I don't put much value in the fact that it's a league Cup Final regardless who the opposition is.

However, everything else being equal, the value I place in a match depends on the opposition.

So I could get reasonably excited about playing a big team in a friendly whereas playing Scunthorpe in the 3rd rnd of the FA cup isn't terribly exciting.

Playing Chelsea in a semi but Burnley in the final

OR

Playing Burnley in the semi and Chelsea in the final

Should equate to the same feeling of accomplishment for me.

A final isn't just any match!

Maybe you will argue I have misrepresented you again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Winning a trophy is never a bad thing lads. Doesn't matter the prestige of the comp or the ability of the opposition.

THE LEAGUE CUP
    We won it 8 times

Fck the begrudgers :pac:

Winning the League Cup but finishing outside the top 4 would be of only marginal benefit to Rodgers though.

We all know that real league progression can be judged on league performance and potentially advanced by revenues. The League Cup obviously wouldn't provide much encouragement on that score if we are sans-CL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Winning a trophy is never a bad thing lads. Doesn't matter the prestige of the comp or the ability of the opposition.

Fck the begrudgers :pac:
    True and it gets european qualification sorted early in the season.

The problem is that it's Europa League qualification.

That's pretty meh, tbh, unless you like Thu/Sun games which i don't.

Playing Chelsea in a semi but Burnley in the final

OR

Playing Burnley in the semi and Chelsea in the final

Should equate to the same feeling of accomplishment for me.

A final isn't just any match!

Maybe you will argue I have misrepresented you again!

The order isn't important. I don't get much out of the overall competition itself.

Beating Chelsea in the Semi would be more important to me than beating Burnley in the final because it's Chelsea. It may as well be comparing two friendlies as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

It's a nothing trophy.

I disagree with comparing it to the charity shield. The charity shield is a glorified friendly. The teams competing in it want to win of course, but winning it is just adding a miniscule gloss to whichever trophy they won to gain entry. Playing in the charity shield is a far greater achievement than winning it. The league cup is a cup competition with 90+ teams involved, admittedly some teams dont take it too seriously, but for all but a handful of the entries winning it would be a huge achievement. Even city last year seemed to really want to win it, and their lineup last night would suggest they wanted to win it again this year. Im sure arsenal were desperate to win it when they lost to birmingham. If we dont win a trophy this season thatll be three years without a trophy, thats a long time for a so called big club. Im sure if United or Chelsea went three years without a trophy theyd be desperate to win anything the following year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

skywalker wrote: »
    The story is on the official site now.
    B1Muw8lIgAEaq6_.jpg

I'm sorry, but Mario clearly isn't smiling properly in this. He's a disease on the beautiful game, he takes the great out of Great Britain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I'd rank the cups/league in the order

Champions league
    Premier league
    Europa
    FA Cup
    International champions cup
    League Cup
    Charity Shield

• Advertisement

If we dont win a trophy this season thatll be three years without a trophy, thats a long time for a so called big club. Im sure if United or Chelsea went three years without a trophy theyd be desperate to win anything the following year.

That just sounds like a meaningless box-ticking exercise to me.

Even under Kenny with the two finals, I don't think that really said much for where we were as a club.

It'd be the same now. If a club is in the CL every year it's always in a position to challenge. It might need some investment or a new manager but it's within striking distance. That's something worth gloating about to those who aren't.

With a one-off cup, especially one that has as little cachet and historical value as the LC, it's largely meaningless.

Some cups have enough history, prestige or exclusivity to give them more value - obviously the CL is the pinnacle of club football, but the FA cup and EL do still have some value as well.
    But the LC doesn't for me.

Champions league
    Premier league
    Europa
    FA Cup
    League Cup
    Charity Shield

1485.gif

I'm sorry, but Mario clearly isn't smiling properly in this. He's a disease on the beautiful game, he takes the great out of Great Britain.

Ah don't take my disease quote out of context.

He is a disease on team morale and spirit when the team is struggling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Champions league
    Premier league
    Europa
    FA Cup
    League Cup
    Charity Shield

So you're saying Liverpool are the most successful English side, yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Ah don't take my disease quote out of context.

He is a disease on team morale and spirit when the team is struggling.

How could you possibly know this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Sooooooooooooooooooooo..............

Rodgers says Borini was "outstanding" last night. This mean he has a chacne to start on Saturday?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Sooooooooooooooooooooo..............

Rodgers says Borini was "outstanding" last night. This mean he has a chacne to start on Saturday?
    But.....we played two nights ago....

RDJ_Woah.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

UPNZ18g.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Whenever I see a picture of Balotelli I just think of Black Dynamite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

D'Agger wrote: »
    But.....we played two nights ago....

RDJ_Woah.gif

And we have a match in less than two days time :D

4Rprh6.jpg

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

And we have a match in less than two days time :D

4Rprh6.jpg

Completely off topic but my Dad worked on that movie as either a gaffer/best boy, can't remember probably best boy. He said at the end of the shoot Mel Gibson had the wrap party on this big **** off ranch outside of Bangkok. He manned the BBQ himself and served my Da a steak.

Favourite quote from the movie:

I rated all governments and countries by how good or bad their Saturday nights were and I knew that Moscow and Peking had to be a stone drag at that time of the week. So I was flying for a cause. I was fighting to defend chicken BBQs and weinee roasts, and Ray Charles songs and drinking Southern Comfort till you passed out behind the bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

On the football side of things, i don't really know how the League cup thing is even a debate...we're 3 games away from a trophy. Just go win those 3 games.

How could you possibly know this?

There are a fair few examples in a couple of games off the top of my head such as Basle, QPR, Madrid, Ludogrets etc.

The first thing is the constant refusal to pass to teammates when he recieves the ball within 30 yards of the opposition goal. This is selfish and gets a visable reaction out of other players.

The next issue is workrate. When he loses the ball, he regularly puts his head down and keeps walking the way he was originally running (rather than back towards the person who dispossed him). When he doesn't have the ball he looks very lazy generally. More difficult to give you a tangible example of how this affects other players but I hardly think you need one.

Another issue is complaining when someone else gives him a bad pass or miscontrols a pass from him. The most serious example of him affecting team morale in my opinion. Particularly evident against Basle, he will berate players like Sterling and Coutinho (players much younger than him but with excellent attitudes and more responsibility) even if the original pass from himself was poor. Enrique gave gim a terrible ball in that game IIRC and Mario displayed a poor attitude about it.

Finally, his ill-discipline. Yellow last week is obvious. But again, Vs Basle, putting his hand on the face of an opponent when the team is losing and risking a red.

Obviously these incidents do not take intro consideration the numerous examples from Milan and Man City in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

We're gonna win the league. We're gonna win the league. I know you don't believe us, I know you don't believe us. I know you don't belieeeeeeeeeeeve us. We're gonna win the league.

Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Why doesn't he celebrate? I missed that bit of info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

gafferino wrote: »

Balo likened a striker scoring goals to a postman, the postman does not kiss the company logo on his jacket every time the letter goes in the box.

The order isn't important. I don't get much out of the overall competition itself.

Beating Chelsea in the Semi would be more important to me than beating Burnley in the final because it's Chelsea. It may as well be comparing two friendlies as far as I'm concerned.

This is even more bizarre than the stuff you posted this morning.

Good job we have real fans otherwise Anfield would have been empty the other night. Not caring whether your team wins a trophy is a non fan, in my book anyway. I just don't subscribe to that logic at all.

I'm guessing you'd lose interest alltogether if we spent a few seasons in the bottom half or even relegated?

gafferino wrote: »

7513299756_a10dabd66f.jpg

rarnes1 wrote: »
    This is even more bizarre than the stuff you posted this morning.

Good job we have real fans otherwise Anfield would have been empty the other night. Not caring whether your team wins a trophy is a non fan, in my book anyway. I just don't subscribe to that logic at all.

I'm guessing you'd lose interest alltogether if we spent a few seasons in the bottom half or even relegated?

???

Hardly. The league matters. Ergo I care how we do in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Gbear is taking a serious amount of grief, now it's 'he's not a real fan' way ott reaction IMO.

I don't agree with what he says in that it's great to win any cup and I would like to win the league cup this year, but Re the Cardiff final I can see where he's coming from, because it was a Championship side we played against everyone expected us to win it convincingly, but typically we struggled, played shoite and ended up jamming out a win and never looked convincing, it's not exactly giving you free reign to go to work the following Monday and start bragging about fluking a win agasinst Cardiff, you'd almost have to be sheepish about it and say , yes we were shoite but we got the job done, put in on the Roll of Honour and move on.

How you can't get excited about your team winning a trophy is beyond me.

So it means someone who doesn't care for the lesser cups has had one trophy to celebrate since 1990.

Their loss :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement