Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Any word on Sturridge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

gafferino wrote: »
    Any word on Sturridge?

Any word
    Sturridge

There you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

mosstin wrote: »
    Any word
    Sturridge

There you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I'm in tears D'Agger. Perfect :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Well, here's something to cheer up the rebels.

Cork to twin with Liverpool.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/mersey-beat-cork-set-to-twin-with-liverpool-295512.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Two of the worlds most extreme accents, combined.

Christ.

"Eeeeeeeeyooooooooooooor mate. Eh, you're some langer biy"

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Why doesn't he celebrate? I missed that bit of info.

Oh he does celebrate, I know cos I had €300 on the Germans to win Euro 2012 and he celebrated :mad: :P

jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Any word on Sturridge?

287ae5de9b92b8841cd4fba243cbba18_bigger.jpegDaniel SturridgeVerified account ‏@D_Sturridge

Feeling good right now, closer to full fitness each day. 1f60e.png

Can't work out that embedding shizzle at all...never works for me :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Can't work out that embedding shizzle at all...never works for me :(

I think it depends on the skin you're using. I use the dark theme on my laptop and twitter embedding ain't perfect but on the touch site it works a dream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Hah, Roy Keane stealing Balotelli quotes.

RasTa wrote: »
    Hah, Roy Keane stealing Balotelli quotes.

What's this now?

EDIT: Gotcha now.

Roy Keane
    “Stuff like that insults me. What am I supposed to do – give up? To be honest, I get offended when people throw quotes at me as if I’m supposed to be honoured by them.

“That was my job – it’s like praising the postman for ­delivering the mail.”

Mario Balotelli
    "When I score, I don't celebrate because I'm only doing my job. When a postman delivers letters, does he celebrate?"

I think Mario said it a year earlier at Euro 2012. It's hardly important anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Gbear is taking a serious amount of grief, now it's 'he's not a real fan' way ott reaction IMO.

I don't agree with what he says in that it's great to win any cup and I would like to win the league cup this year, but Re the Cardiff final I can see where he's coming from, because it was a Championship side we played against everyone expected us to win it convincingly, but typically we struggled, played shoite and ended up jamming out a win and never looked convincing, it's not exactly giving you free reign to go to work the following Monday and start bragging about fluking a win agasinst Cardiff, you'd almost have to be sheepish about it and say , yes we were shoite but we got the job done, put in on the Roll of Honour and move on.

Honestly I was delighted to win the league cup under Kenny !! I had a hell of a hangover the next day because of the celebrations . I don't care what the trophy is or how others view it . If LFC are in a competition I want them to win it !!!! It's just that simple and well they are 3 games from a final and should look to win the league cup .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Honestly I was delighted to win the league cup under Kenny !! I had a hell of a hangover the next day because of the celebrations . I don't care what the trophy is or how others view it . If LFC are in a competition I want them to win it !!!! It's just that simple and well they are 3 games from a final and should look to win the league cup .
    Completely agree with this view, if you are in a cup competition try and win the thing. I remember when we won the cup under Kenny, Reina was celebrating like he won the World Cup, and as a fan it was great to watch.

I'm all for giving certain players a rest and giving some fringe players a chance but never agreed with whole scale changes to the team, I thought it disrespectful to the fans that pay to go these games to see complete reserve teams out.

I hated seeing us get beaten by Northampton a few years ago and the fact that it was the League cup did not lessen the feeling of a loss. These are not friendlies to get fitness levels up, when we play I want to see us win.

Tbh I don't feel there is that much difference in bragging rights between the League cup and the F.A. cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

mav79 wrote: »

Tbh I don't feel there is that much difference in bragging rights between the League cup and the F.A. cup.

You are right. There are no bragging rights for FA cup or league cup.

I want league first and foremost. I cannot understand this optimistic view of our situation as a club. Cheering on Mickey Mouse cups and not playing well.

I am a pessimist by nature and find myself agreeing with luckylloyd and mr Alan on many occasions. Often extreme views but at least it is balance to the cheery optimism (good cup run talk and viewing our position in the league as ok based on other surrounding teams equally poor performance).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

So you're saying Liverpool are the most successful English side, yes?

Can't a guy make a joke without it turning into a United v Liverpool mess

Some people have the knack for telling jokes, and some just don't.

Where's the man with the vines?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Rodgers not expecting Sturridge back until after the international break so first game back could be Palace away on November 23.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Balo likened a striker scoring goals to a postman, the postman does not kiss the company logo on his jacket every time the letter goes in the box.

Just as well balo isnt a postman then cos nobody would get their mail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Rodgers not expecting Sturridge back until after the international break so first game back could be Palace away on November 23.

Source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Source?

James Pearce tweeted about it this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Happy Halloween folks.

Tottenham-Hotspur-v-Chelsea-Premier-League.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Essentialy he's going to miss half the season, that's poxy tbh, i think we'll have to go for another big name striker next summer to come in with Origi. I'm assuming Balo will be sold.

Not surprised with that Sturridge news at all. It'd be nuts to rush him back after picking up 2 injuries already this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

This was why I was happy with the Mario signing. Wouldn't have been my first preference at all, but we needed to get a striker in as Sturridge gets injured a lot and it was predictable that it would happen this season as well.

monkey9 wrote: »
    This was why I was happy with the Mario signing. Wouldn't have been my first preference at all, but we needed to get a striker in as Sturridge gets injured a lot and it was predictable that it would happen this season as well.

Tbf, we need another top striker in Jan. I'd be shocked if Sturridge goes the rest of the season without an injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Just as well balo isnt a postman then cos nobody would get their mail

Ask Garry Monk if he got his mail...... :D

daithijjj wrote: »
    Happy Halloween folks.

Tottenham-Hotspur-v-Chelsea-Premier-League.jpg

Too soon :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Steven Gerrard: it’s up to Liverpool whether I’m at Anfield next season
    • Former England captain has yet to sign contract extension
    • ‘I won’t be retiring this summer. I will play beyond this season’

Link

Provided he doesn't continue to be one our highest paid players he should finish his career with Liverpool and not some struggling EPL sïde for his final few seasons.

Without getting overly sentimental I think he is well worth having in our squad. His experience with the club, his attitude and his motivation skills are very real assets that should be kept. The tail end of Ryan G's career proves just how well having a club legend in the dressing room can go.

He should no longer be a nailed on starter for sure but he should be afforded the chance to play every game of his career in a Reds shirt, and I will personally feel sickened if they don't offer him any contract at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

He has 2 years in him as a player id say..50% of games maybe...

Keep him fresh and we can benifit from stevie g for a while yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Thud

Stevie shouldn't have to be playing at these contract renewal games. Offer him a decent contract so he can end his career here and let him know he'll play less game time like Giggs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Gerrard will be 35 at the end of the season. Sure we would all like him to stay forever but every player comes to a point in their career when they have to step aside.

If he stays great, but shouldn't be a nailed on starter.

If he goes make sure to replace him with a proper player.

Or likely option C : Let him go and take a punt on young unknown talent filling his role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I can see Gerrard leaving at the end of the season to do a stint in MLS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Player coach would be ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I can see Gerrard leaving at the end of the season to do a stint in MLS.

This

He already said in an interview he would be open to it. FSG have shown time and time again they wont offer lucrative contracts to old players. This is Gerrard but FSG run a business, 150k a week wages for him they are thinking could be better spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I'd like him to stay but he needs to be realistic about his wage demands . His days of being the top earner need to be over and he should swallow his pride and accept a smaller basic wage with performance based incentives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I wonder what Giggd was on towarsds the end?

Did UTD cut his salary much? Or every time he got a new one year extension?

Might be a sensitive issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Part of me would love to see Stevie go to somewhere like Juve and win the league over there. He has been massive for us and to hear how hard that Chelsea defeat hit him makes me sad. Great article that, very honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Between Stevie and Johnson, that's the best part of 250k a week. That's a world class salary right there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

10 Alberto-esque players is more likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

BMJD wrote: »
    Between Stevie and Johnson, that's the best part of 250k a week. That's a world class salary right there.

Ah, the club doesn't look at it that simply. I doubt they gave an overall salary limit where they say "We've saved x, let's go use it up elsewere". After the changes in the last 3 summers, we should have LOADS of room...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Dickerty wrote: »
    Ah, the club doesn't look at it that simply. I doubt they gave an overall salary limit where they say "We've saved x, let's go use it up elsewere". After the changes in the last 3 summers, we should have LOADS of room...

I think it's important to them that they can reward players for service - they had no problem spending money on Suarez after he proved his value.

Wheras for a player coming in starting on 200k we have to take a leap of faith and, furthermore, when it comes to reward them, how can you afford to improve their package?

There have been plenty of players playing for clubs with less money than us or willing to take a pay cut to play at a higher level.

I think it precludes signing the real top level finished article players, but I seldom think they're ever good value anyway so that doesn't bother me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Steven Gerrard: it’s up to Liverpool whether I’m at Anfield next season
    • Former England captain has yet to sign contract extension
    • ‘I won’t be retiring this summer. I will play beyond this season’

Link

Provided he doesn't continue to be one our highest paid players he should finish his career with Liverpool and not some struggling EPL sïde for his final few seasons.

Without getting overly sentimental I think he is well worth having in our squad. His experience with the club, his attitude and his motivation skills are very real assets that should be kept. The tail end of Ryan G's career proves just how well having a club legend in the dressing room can go.

He should no longer be a nailed on starter for sure but he should be afforded the chance to play every game of his career in a Reds shirt, and I will personally feel sickened if they don't offer him any contract at all.

If he's not retiring the club have to resign him. That ****ing simple.

Steven Gerrard decides when he stops being a member of the Liverpool squad (not necessarily selected) not the other way round imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I, of course would tell him no extension and thanks for your efforts. Let him decide where to go for his last hurrah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If you read between the lines, he has been offered a new contract but the terms aren't acceptable. He has to realise his days as the top earner are over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    If he's not retiring the club have to resign him. That ****ing simple.

Steven Gerrard decides when he stops being a member of the Liverpool squad (not necessarily selected) not the other way round imo.

Nice of you to put sentimentality at the top of the requirements list when he's being paid with other people's money. Fsg should do what they think is best for the club. What of Stevie won't take a paycut? Should they keep him on his massive wages? No player bigger than the club. Legends have left before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

rob316 wrote: »
    If you read between the lines, he has been offered a new contract but the terms aren't acceptable. He has to realise his days as the top earner are over.

I think this too. He is clearly using the media here to hopefully get a fans reaction to put pressure on the management to sign him up again.
    I don't think he's any intention of leaving. If he was honest he'd know his form has slipped and needs to get used to a new role on the bench more (like Giggs as someone already said).

I'd like to see him used as an impact sub at times. To come on in his old position of attacking midfield. Forget the holding role. It's just not working. See Song at the weekend for West Ham, all action, breaking up play around his own box and also bursting forward. That's what Liverpool need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Player coach would be ideal.

I can't see Rodgers ever letting that happen to be honest.

Can you imagine the pressure and calls for Rodgers to lose his job if he goes on a really bad run with Gerrard on the coaching staff.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement