Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Unless Rodgers turns this around quickly he'll be gone before the end of the season.

Nah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

sabat wrote: »
    Koeman in next summer please; Rodgers is just looking increasingly gormless.

Yeah and this time we might bring in the better S'ton players with him.

We won't be getting top 4 this season. The poor performances are too regular in the league to turn around.

Should go all out to win the league cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

I actually thought Mignolet was very solid today, but I missed most of the first half. He did well under crosses and made one or 2 very good saves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Rodgers is being found out badly. Hard to see many positives from today's game.

• Advertisement

Stupid video game tactics in the second half from Rodgers having 3 strikers on the pitch and no one to link up the play, hoping that someone would score. He's very naive tactically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

hefferboi wrote: »
    I actually thought Mignolet was very solid today, but I missed most of the first half. He did well under crosses and made one or 2 very good saves.

Except the one where johnson had to clear his impression of a doh doh bird off the line:rolleyes:

He was all over the shop for a cross 1st half. Nearly cost a goal. Think David James type of effort.

Not good enough imo. Neville Southall was right during the week when he said he isn't brave enough and never will be good enough for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I was gonna say rodgers has no plan b or c, but in fact he has no plan whatsoever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

shamrock55 wrote: »
    I was gonna say rodgers has no plan b or c, but in fact he has no plan whatsoever

This,

He got lucky against Swansea, and he just reverts back to the same useless play time and time again....

• Advertisement

As I said, rarnes and shamrock, I missed a lot of the first half. From what I saw he was excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Pain in my fooking face with the disgrace that is our team , last year we'd have mauled these fookers , spineless , toothless , ****e defending

Why waste €120 million on this crap ? Why not 3 world class players ? Fabregas , di maria , costa , could of had them all id say , imagine how diff we'd be

No lets spend €20 on markovic who wasnt even on bench or €20 on lovern , or 16 on ballotelli , €25 lallans , my god im just sick of 2 steps forward and 10 back , i don't even want to watch us anymore im just so pissed off , im 34 and supporting liverpool 24 years and go to anfield at least 4 times a year so im not a bar stooler

Rodgers definately needs to take a lot of blame, along with a good chunk of those players.

I actually cant wait for the next international break

As I said, rarnes and shamrock, I missed a lot of the first half. From what I saw he was excellent.

His shot stopping is up there with the best in the league.

The overall package though just isn't strong enough which is a shame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

This thread is more painful than that match was. Rodgers out?!? Get a ****ing grip lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Stupid video game tactics in the second half from Rodgers having 3 strikers on the pitch and no one to link up the play, hoping that someone would score. He's very naive tactically.

We ended up trying to slip Ricky Lambert in behind their defence.

A 32 year old target man gets through balls played in for him.

Wonderful..

If we're getting balls into the box or have lots of possession just outside their box but can't break through then Lambert is a great option to have.
    But he's not a 10, he's not going to deliver a lethal dead ball, he's not going to drop deep and run at their midfield and create space for others.

He's not the two excellent options we had on the bench but didn't use.

Vicxas wrote: »
    This,

He got lucky against Swansea, and he just reverts back to the same useless play time and time again....

Well not really.

Against Swansea it was two up top. And it worked after a fashion but he made us better with his substitutions.

Today he did nothing with them and didn't even use all 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

I don't normally post directly after a game due to gut reactions etc but pretty calm about todays result so its not kneejerk.

Looking at our team Rodgers obviously wanted to try to hold the middle of the park while defencively 5 at the back when we lose the ball. Its still the same players playing in different positions though.

- Today we put Sterling out on the wing and the only balls he got were diagonal 60 yarders and thats not good enough for our best attacking player.
    - Hendo had a nightmare today and i am pretty sure that was his worst performance in a Liverpool shirt. He showed more passion when he got booked than the entire game. Did he even win a challenge? Usually brilliant marauding forward and hustling players but today he was a passenger and hid in the midfield.
    - Lovren really pissed me off today for a few reasons, he barely made a decent pass forward that wasn't intercepted. Lazy in possession he was constantly putting Mig under pressure with underplayed passes and twice in the first half with no real pressure he booted the ball over the sideline. What annoys me most though is him running into midfield and hitting into a Newcastle player and getting thrown off the ball!!! This is our powerful 25million centre half! Incredible!
    - Glen Johnson was well, Glen. Lacking creativity going forward, the odd cameo of looking good on the ball cutting inside and blasting a left foot shot into nobody or wide was there as always. Lazy in defence and allowing guys to cross the ball as will. Disgusting we pay wages to this imposter of a player. Brendan Rodgers really does himself no favours by playing him. In fact it makes me question BR bigtime that he cannot see this.
    - Mig was really good today, you could see him trying to dominate his box and came for everything. Slate him for the one he missed but that's just Mig. But cannot fault him for being positive.

It is really worrying that we are still stuttering. No tempo to our game. Flat and has been for a number of games. Aside from the opening 17mins against Madrid and the Spurs away game we've been absolute ****e this whole season. Until we concede that is, then we come alive!!! No pressing, no tempo, no hastling of opposition players and its becoming embarrassing.

The buck stops with BR on this one. Same team. Different formation. Doesn't work, same players different formation. He is seriously under pressure now. Newcastle were there for the taking today. They played a defencive line and got lucky for a goal. A poor team. We were unable to create 2-3 chances the whole 90 mins.

... if you took last season out of the equation. With those types of performances we'd be calling for BR's head. If it were Hodgeson we'd be calling for his head. So BR has bought himself a few more games. I genuinely worry about us now. We are capable of so much more and we are not getting it. Has he lost the dressingroom???

Worrying times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Pain in my fooking face with the disgrace that is our team , last year we'd have mauled these fookers , spineless , toothless , ****e defending

Why waste €120 million on this crap ? Why not 3 world class players ? Fabregas , di maria , costa , could of had them all id say , imagine how diff we'd be

No lets spend €20 on markovic who wasnt even on bench or €20 on lovern , or 16 on ballotelli , €25 lallans , my god im just sick of 2 steps forward and 10 back , i don't even want to watch us anymore im just so pissed off , im 34 and supporting liverpool 24 years and go to anfield at least 4 times a year so im not a bar stooler

Do you really think we could have signed the 3 of them? Not a hope in hell imo.

The huge difference from Swansea game was the lack of pressing from the first whistle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

YTFOnuj.gif

Don't kid yourself! Ahaha.

• Advertisement

Such players were never coming to us. They were always going to be offered handier numbers. Rodgers did the only thing he could and gambled on potential. So far it's not working out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭Ardent

With Rodgers, it's like watching a man drowning. Take away the 60 or so goals from Suarez and Sturridge and he's looking quite clueless.

Set up the team for a draw and ended up losing, to an awful Newcastle side. Shocking stuff.

And on transfers, we've done a Spurs lads. Lallana and Markovic cost almost 50 million between them and can't get on instead of that lot today??

We won't finish within a country mile of 4th this season and I'll be surprised if we make it out of our CL group. We are woeful. Sturridge coming back will not fix the problems in this team.

From Paddy Power

"It was a game that we almost had full control of," says Rodgers, as he clutches at more straws than a masturbating scarecrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

REAL MADRID -2 GOALS = 6/4
    Form an orderly queue lads great bet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    This thread is more painful than that match was. Rodgers out?!? Get a ****ing grip lads.

Has anyone said Rodgers should be sacked?

REAL MADRID -2 GOALS = 6/4
    Form an orderly queue lads great bet

What bookie?

Seems very generous

Fromvert wrote: »

I don't think so. People questioning his tactics which is totally normal considering the season is almost 1/3 done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

- Lovren really pissed me off today for a few reasons, he barely made a decent pass forward that wasn't intercepted. Lazy in possession he was constantly putting Mig under pressure with underplayed passes and twice in the first half with no real pressure he booted the ball over the sideline. What annoys me most though is him running into midfield and hitting into a Newcastle player and getting thrown off the ball!!! This is our powerful 25million centre half! Incredible!

I think that was a symptom of how bad our midfield was.

There was very little going on in midfield and too often nobody was dropping deep to collect the ball off Lovren.

They were mostly standing around twiddling their thumbs while a CB is left with the job of starting our attack.

Utterly ludicrous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Do you really think we could have signed the 3 of them? Not a hope in hell imo.

No but there is other top players , they're just an example

Id rather have torres back than ballotelli

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I don't think so. People questioning his tactics which is totally normal considering the season is almost 1/3 done

Exactly, which is completely justified. Nobody has called for him to be sacked but if his performance keeps up they will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Fromvert wrote: »

People have said he will be sacked of our fortunes don't improve. But I don't think there any argument against that.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    People have said he will be sacked of our fortunes don't improve. But I don't think there any argument against that.

If he misses out on top 4 I think he will be sacked. Whether I think he should if that happens depends on how the rest of the season goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Coutinho has once again shown he can't be trusted with a starting spot. I said it last year but he blows hot and cold every week. At this stage of his career it looks like we'll only get the best out of him coming on as a super sub. Very very poor from us today. No desire whatsoever. 15mins against Madrid and a good result against spurs is about as good as it's got all season. Manager needs to step up and put it right. His first proper test as Liverpool manager and he ain't doing too well at the moment. Madrid and Chelsea to come as well. Jaysus.

Gbear wrote: »
    I think that was a symptom of how bad our midfield was.

There was very little going on in midfield and too often nobody was dropping deep to collect the ball off Lovren.

They were mostly standing around twiddling their thumbs while a CB is left with the job of starting our attack.

Utterly ludicrous.

True ... team have sussed us out since Villa showed them how to do it time and time again. Block the midfield. Stop Gerard on the ball and leave Skrtel and Lovren on the ball as much as they like.

... so simple but effective. We are not the first team to have this done to us so need to counteract it. Doesn't matter though about 3-5-2 4-1-2-1 etc though if we cant earn our right in the game. No aggression no tempo is unacceptable at this level. The absolute minimum we should expect from a game like this is 100% effort. Can any player say they gave that today!

He's not getting sacked before the end of the season. Not that that should even be a debate at this stage.

• Advertisement

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Coutinho has once again shown he can't be trusted with a starting spot. I said it last year but he blows hot and cold every week. At this stage of his career it looks like we'll only get the best out of him coming on as a super sub. Very very poor from us today. No desire whatsoever. 15mins against Madrid and a good result against spurs is about as good as it's got all season. Manager needs to step up and put it right. His first proper test as Liverpool manager and he ain't doing too well at the moment. Madrid and Chelsea to come as well. Jaysus.

In fairness there's another 9 outfielders with no desire standing around him ... i do think our Vice-Captain out lazied him today though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

He's not getting sacked before the end of the season. Not that that should even be a debate at this stage.

There are no absolutes. We've been achieving results far better than our performance levels thus far this season. If the latter doesn't improve and the former regresses towards it things could get very grim quicker than you'd imagine.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    There are no absolutes. We've been achieving results far better than our performance levels thus far this season. If the latter doesn't improve and the former regresses towards it things could get very grim quicker than you'd imagine.

He'll be ok until he loses IF he loses the dressingroom. How long that is away we will see. 3-4 more depressing performances and results from now who knows. He's earned a little time from last season. But its been a grim campaign so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Rodgers tactics and in game mangement have been bad for a lot of last season as well but that was covered up by goals and exciting play none of which have been present this season.

He needs to take a step back and look at what is happening or it will cost him his job in the long term

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

In fairness there's another 9 outfielders with no desire standing around him ... i do think our Vice-Captain out lazied him today though.

How many times have we seen him do well as a sub one week, get a start the next week and then do nothing with the opportunity. Midfield has crap today but countinho's inconsistent performances are nothing new. He was doing the same last year. Not taking this game as a once off but as a general observation on a player with great potential but not enough regular end product.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

What's very grim? I'd be happy with still being in with a shout for top 4 come april. That's the minimum.

I personally underestimated Luis 's influence on the team, I thought we'd survive. But it's clear now the team is bereft of not even leadership, but balls. There's no one there now that makes the opposition fear.

I still look back to that interview Balo's agent did when he signed, where he said Balo had to get away from Milan because he couldn't handle the pressure of being expected to be leader. Wtf where we doing replacing Luis with that? And I'm not giving Balo stick there, I'm just asking what was the 'commitee' thinking when they thought he could replace Suarez's general influence over the team!!

Sacking a manager now would set us back a good few years again. It would be ridiculous.

I'm just asking what was the 'commitee' thinking when they thought he could replace Suarez's general influence over the team!!

That's the thing from what we've been told, they weren't because they were naive in believing Suarez was 100% staying and had no plan to replace him if/when he left and bought Balotelli because 'he was the best available option'.

That's a shocking way of planning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

Pyjamarama wrote: »

So how much money do you think he should get for the Jan transfer window? 100m, 50m??

Heard ****e again during the week about some sheikh coming in again. If he did would you trust Rodgers with a huge transfer kitty.
    Said it before and I continue to say it, jury out on every single one of them and I include Lallana in that.

As for Borini - he bought him and said he would score goals for us - didn't. He tried to sell him twice now - ie doesn't rate him at all - now he is first choice sub when we are needing a goal. 10 yards out can't hit the target :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

What's very grim? I'd be happy with still being in with a shout for top 4 come april. That's the minimum.

I personally underestimated Luis 's influence on the team, I thought we'd survive. But it's clear now the team is bereft of not even leadership, but balls. There's no one there now that makes the opposition fear.

I still look back to that interview Balo's agent did when he signed, where he said Balo had to get away from Milan because he couldn't handle the pressure of being expected to be leader. Wtf where we doing replacing Luis with that? And I'm not giving Balo stick there, I'm just asking what was the 'commitee' thinking when they thought he could replace Suarez's general influence over the team!!

Top 4 could be realistically beyond us on Christmas Day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

when avb was sacked by spurs last year they sat 7th in the table 8 points off the top, 27 points from 16 games.

liverpool currently lie 7th in the table 9 points off the top (likely 12 by this evening), 14 points from 10 games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

rossie1977 wrote: »
    when avb was sacked by spurs last year they sat 7th in the table 8 points off the top, 27 points from 16 games.

liverpool currently lie 7th in the table 9 points off the top (likely 12 by this evening), 14 points from 10 games

Spurs is the marker now, really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Brendan Rodgers has spend £212m since he becamce Liverpool manager 28 months ago to say he is working on a limited budget and has to buy moneyball players is a joke.

£202m spent on 20 players (plus another £10m on loan deals.) to go along with crazy excluding players bad tactics etc are reason why I am worried.

I think he is a good man manager for a certain type of player, This being a younger player who needs confidence.

I am not sure he has been great with older experienced pro's.

Oh my god....

Stewart downing just got an assist with his right foot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Rodgers tactics and in game mangement have been bad for a lot of last season as well but that was covered up by goals and exciting play none of which have been present this season.

He needs to take a step back and look at what is happening or it will cost him his job in the long term

For all the criticism I have of him this wouldn't be one. Thought he did fairly well at it last season, this season it's gone to sh*t though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement