Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Mr Alan wrote: »
    We finished second the year before Rafa got sacked.

Pointing out the second place finish only illustrates how quickly we're going backwards :(

Forget about Rafa and previous managers. Are we to sack every manager who has an average start to the season?

If we finished 15th last season you may have a point but we finished 2nd, progress from the previous year.

Stargate wrote: »
    LoL TKO 70 million ? Now what could we do with that kinda money ??
    let's buy SouthamptonFC :P

:D

Edit, it looks like it will be Noble Collison and Downing next summer

Just tying illustrate the point, some of the comments on here suggest that all BR needs to do is drop Johnson and tell the lads to try ...real hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Still think we'll sort things out. The most frustrating thing is watching us make the same mistakes - including formation - week after week. Something has to give.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wouldn't be looking for Rodgers to be sacked!

What I would be looking for is FSG to come in and have a good chat with him about bringing in a DOF and changing up his coaching staff if this run doesn't get any better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

T-K-O wrote: »
    Forget about Rafa and previous managers. Are we to sack every manager who has an average start to the season?

No but if this season continues like this, then he'll not be hear next summer & couldn't really have any complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

No but if this season continues like this, then he'll not be hear next summer & couldn't really have any complaints.

You're delluded if you think that to be honest.

IF this continues we are going to finished 10-12th in the table. If that happens, I'll nail my flag to the mast now, Sacked.

However, despite our abysmal form I believe we have quality but we need to adapt and fast, the CL / 4th place is still there for us.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

What I think will happen is that unless things get very bad (like 10th in Feb about 15 points off top 4) Rodgers will be around next season. A season where we finish on 60 points or so and finish 6th/7th will be a depressing comedown from last season (it already is) but I think he will be given the benefit of the doubt for next season again in that case, but with a much shorter leash, and very little money available for nett spend.

I didn't think Rafa should have been sacked when he was but it was inevitable given the situation at the time, and I wanted Kenny given more time too although I understood why a change was made there. I also won't be calling for Rodgers to leave unless we really do continue to spiral badly this season, but given the heights of last season it gives more reason for support him but also more reason to be disappointed for those who would like to see him out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

I wouldn't be looking for Rodgers to be sacked!

What I would be looking for is FSG to come in and have a good chat with him about bringing in a DOF and changing up his coaching staff if this run doesn't get any better.

Agreed , but i would like the team to start doing what we were doing in games last season . Suarez was amazing for us , in a way very much like Rush was , attacking from the front AND scoring goals for fun . We don't have that this season and are poor all over the park .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

All I know is that the season has been very disappointing so far. Sure losing Suarez was always going to be tough but we failed to bring in the required players to improve the starting eleven.
    We really needed a playmaker in midfield and a quality striker.

• Advertisement

You're delluded if you think that to be honest.

If the season continues like this we'll do well to finish 10th. He'll definitely be sacked if that happens. No question. Delusion would be thinking otherwise tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If the season continues like this we'll do well to finish 10th. He'll definitely be sacked if that happens. No question. Delusion would be thinking otherwise tbh.

Delusion is thinking there's any hope of Liverpool finishing as low as 10th this season.

AdamD wrote: »
    Delusion is thinking there's any hope of Liverpool finishing as low as 10th this season.

8th/9th/10th meh all the same & we will finish in that territory if we don't improve

8th/9th/10th meh all the same & we will finish in that territory if we don't improve

We won't finish 10th and 8th isn't the same as 10th either. Will he be sacked if we finish 7th?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I don't think they are at all !! Lovren and lallana are good players . How many mistakes between Lovren and skrtel have caused a goal to be conceded ? I would imagine it has been down to glen Johnson and the other full backs .

Seriously? Lovren has been completely garbage.

We won't finish 10th and 8th is the same as 10th either. Will he be sacked if we finish 7th?

It's quite possible

Let's be serious here, we've spent an insane amount of money & were a whisker away from winning the league last year

It's quite possible

Let's be serious here, we've spent an insane amount of money & were a whisker away from winning the league last year

And being serious there is no chance he gets sacked if we finish 7th or 8th. I'd say the chances of us finishing lower are very slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

What a difference a years makes. Last year we were making good managers look average, this year we're making average managers look like gods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

https://twitter.com/whoscored/status/528629049661607939

Watched a bit of it, he looked good. Sami struggling though.

• Advertisement

And being serious there is no chance he gets sacked if we finish 7th or 8th. I'd say the chances of us finishing lower are very slim.

No chance? I really disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    We've played more than 10 games. Performances are very poor, a lot needs to turn around. The longer this goes on the more intense discussion will become. As Rafa Benitez and Kenny found out, you must keep winning.

I will also note that Benitez was inserted into the thread by Mike, not by Alan or me, etc.

I agree. I'm not quite sure what you want from me here. Results need to improve but he should be given time. For example not making top 4 this season would be bad but not a sackable offence. This is our first real bad spell in about 18 months? The knives are already out, its ****ing ridiculous.

As for the Rafa thing, you ran with it and furthered the conversation. I wasn't mentioning anyone in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

We are playing our worst football in years and show no signs of improvement, if it were to continue all season he would be under serious scrutiny from fsg.

Its not like you have been completely wrong about a Brendan Rodgers Liverpool team before.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I don't mind if we lose as long as we made a proper go of it. But when Rodgers continues to persist with the same formation and tactics or worse playing people out of position, and continues to do so when it's been shown up, then obviously the fans are going to be pissed off. All he is doing is making it harder on himself. The next league game is against Chelsea now. Chances of a positive outcome, after seeing and hearing how we played today, are not good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

For me, if performances improve and we miss out on 4th by a few points he deserves another year, but if the season continues with these inept performances I don't see how anyone can say he doesn't deserve to get the sack. I've said before, last year Rodgers deserved a lot of credit for the way the team played, so if the team is playing badly he deserves the same level of criticism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

- Mig was really good today, you could see him trying to dominate his box and came for everything. Slate him for the one he missed but that's just Mig. But cannot fault him for being positive.

Blindly running out for every cross is not the mark of a good keeper. Its the opposite. Good keepers know which ones are in their range.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Its not like you have been completely wrong about a Brendan Rodgers Liverpool team before.

I think you need to re-read the conversation, I've not said I think we'll finish 10th or anything...I think Rodgers is capable of turning it around.

What I have said is that if he doesn't, he'll be in the firing line this season.
    “I am confident we will improve the team further and will be stronger for this coming season, when we will be competing on all fronts; domestically and in the greatest club competition in the world, the Champions League.”
    “We lost a world-class talent [Suarez] and the natural progress of the team was halted – we needed the squad rebuilt, I think where we are is what was expected. The players we brought in were not really established. That decision was made knowing they might struggle a bit initially but further in the future would be big players for the club. That is where we are right now.”

mav79 wrote: »
    For me, if performances improve and we miss out on 4th by a few points he deserves another year, but if the season continues with these inept performances I don't see how anyone can say he doesn't deserve to get the sack. I've said before, last year Rodgers deserved a lot of credit for the way the team played, so if the team is playing badly he deserves the same level of criticism.

I'd agree with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

Common sense. I agree 100%

I think you need to re-read the conversation, I've not said I think we'll finish 10th or anything...I think Rodgers is capable of turning it around.

What I have said is that if he doesn't, he'll be in the firing line this season.

Apologies good sir. From the exchange below it seemed like you were already thinking we'd finish below 7th.

We won't finish 10th and 8th isn't the same as 10th either. Will he be sacked if we finish 7th?

• Advertisement

So if we miss out on 4th by a couple of points meaning? 2 points? 5 points?

1 year into a new contract and you'd have us sack a manager on the basis of failing to get top 4 by more than a couple of points?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

And being serious there is no chance he gets sacked if we finish 7th or 8th. .

brave prediction considering liverpool have sacked 2 managers over the past 4 years after the club finished 7th and 8th and neither of them had spent the kind of money during the summer rodgers has.

Why? For the owners he's been amazing. He's delivered Champions league well ahead of schedule and he's used their "moneyball" tactics pretty perfectly. Simple fact is in terms of finances we've competed well above our station and a 8th place finish won't put them off just yet.

Liverpool defence are coached (yeah I know) to play the ball out from the back, the keeper passes to one of them bla bla, all well and good but surely Moreno ddidn't feel compelled to play an intercepted ball out from the back, still can't fathom why he didn't hoof it anywhere except goalwards, infuriating tbh.

Why? For the owners he's been amazing. He's delivered Champions league well ahead of schedule and he's used their "moneyball" tactics pretty perfectly. Simple fact is in terms of finances we've competed well above our station and a 8th place finish won't put them off just yet.

See below post....
    rossie1977 wrote: »
    brave prediction considering liverpool have sacked 2 managers over the past 4 years after the club finished 7th and 8th and neither of them had spent the kind of money during the summer rodgers has.

Plus there is nothing "moneyball" about signings like Lovren, Mignolet, Sakho, Lallana, Markovic, Allen, Aspas.

They're actually nothing like "money ball" signings...they're players signed for fees that even if they're a relative success at Liverpool, they'll never be worth as much as when we bought them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

NukaCola wrote: »
    So if we miss out on 4th by a couple of points meaning? 2 points? 5 points?

1 year into a new contract and you'd have us sack a manager on the basis of failing to get top 4 by a couple of points?

My point was if performances improve and we lose out on fourth I'd be happy with Rodgers staying as manager, if the performances stay the same for the rest of the season I think he should be sacked.

Do you think Rodgers should keep his job if the team is playing like this for the rest of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Origi missed a peno! (or maybe it was well saved I dunno right now) Even our loanees are ****e! :p

My point was if performances improve and we lose out on fourth I'd be happy with Rodgers staying as manager, if the performances stay the same for the rest of the season I think he should be sacked.

Do you think Rodgers should keep his job if the team is playing like this for the rest of the season.

You said he deserves another year only if (at worst) we miss out on top 4 by a couple of points. What you said above is different and quite reasonable.

I'd give him one more season regardless. Unless he destabilises the club with in fighting, and completely lost the run of things with the players etc

I have every confidence of him turning it around anyway. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve criticism and am probably in the minority with giving him another season regardless, but the panic in here is worrying for him if posters here are an accurate sample size of LFC fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Augeo wrote: »
    Liverpool defence are coached (yeah I know) to play the ball out from the back, the keeper passes to one of them bla bla, all well and good but surely Moreno ddidn't feel compelled to play an intercepted ball out from the back, still can't fathom why he didn't hoof it anywhere except goalwards, infuriating tbh.

He was completely off balance. It wasn't an intentional attempt to play it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I'd love to see us go for Pedro in January, real quality goal threat. Apparently he's not happy with the game time he's getting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

At least Suarez knows what we're feeling. Two defeats in the two games he has played in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Any reason why sterling was played on the right wing for the whole game today? We could see that hitting 60yard diagonal passes to challenge with dummett wasn't working after ten minutes. Very poor tactically from Rodgers today. We never put them on the back foot. Never once caused them a problem. Johnson needs to be dropped as well. Can't understand why probably our best signing in the summer, manquillo, isn't starting every game when you see that dross today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I'd love to see us go for Pedro in January, real quality goal threat. Apparently he's not happy with the game time he's getting.

Same as but it's either Rodgers, FSG or the transfer committee.....it's like we won't go for the established talent. The exception to the rule has been Balotelli and I feel the club only signed him because he had a reputation and thought they might get a diamond in the rough if they could sort him out and harness his potential at a knock down price to boot.

I can't see us signing anyone in January tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

A big problem for everyone involved at the club is that there has been a 100m (we spent more than this) investment in the squad in the last 16 months and not one of those players included in that particular 100m appeared on the pitch.

100m!!!. Never even got on the pitch. No contribution, nada, zilch. In fact we brought in 6 players the summer before last and all we have to show for that whole summer today was Mignolet.

How can you play Sterling right wing? and Henderson left?, knowing all we know and what we have seen over the last year?. This is pure and utter arrogance for me. Or is that giving it too much credit?, is it in fact moronic?

Then, you have Can and Lallana who have done pretty well, in what they have played so far, not chosen over Joe Allen, who does nothing in 95% of games!!!! Nothing.

Truly baffling stuff.

Newcastle were not good at all today, infact they were fking awful and should have had 2 reds. But our own decisions killed us, and continue to do so. Thats the managers problem, theres no confidence in his decisions and it reflected in specifically 2 players today who have been great over the last year or so. Sterling and Henderson. They hadnt a clue what they were doing.

daithijjj wrote: »
    A big problem for everyone involved at the club is that there has been a 100m (we spent more than this) investment in the squad in the last 16 months and not one of those players included in that particular 100m appeared on the pitch.

100m!!!. Never even got on the pitch. No contribution, nada, zilch. In fact we brought in 6 players the summer before last and all we have to show for that whole summer today was Mignolet

That's actually incredible :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

At least Suarez knows what we're feeling. Two defeats in the two games he has played in now.

#blamesuarez

On a serious note;kill me.

Rarnes,I'll never forgive you for not getting that plane into the sky and warning me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Rodgers has far too much control over everything. He needs to delegate more out to people. Or is this FSG telling him to rule the roost himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

You obviously haven't been watching him last 6 months. In appaling form & wouldn't improve us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm really starting to miss Match of the Day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Our performances this season are at a Hodgson level of awfulness and show no sign of improving. Very,very worrying.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement