Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Why was the old thread closed? Seems a bit pointless to me

It causes technical problems for the site when the superthreads go too far over 10k.

Superthreads in this forum have been getting closed in and around the 10k mark for a couple of years now so is not a new thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If we can stay in the top 4 this season again at the expense of united that is when they will really start to suffer. 1 year out is a blip, 2 is a decline. That's when all your money can't attract anyone of note, sponsorship falls and your bigger players push for moves out of the club.

I'll rejoice if it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Fescue wrote: »
    It would be nice to accumulate some points while they are dropping them. I have a feeling Spurs might be our biggest threat to top four this season.

me too. but think Everton can only get better with the stability they have now too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Kess73 wrote: »
    It causes technical problems for the site when the superthreads go too far over 10k.

Superthreads in this forum have been getting closed in and around the 10k mark for a couple of years now so is not a new thing.

Ahhh I see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

He seems to be having fun hopefully this will work out to be the deal of the season.

http://instagram.com/p/sUNTsMLj_7/?modal=true

Qr6FNlC.jpg

rob316 wrote: »
    If we can stay in the top 4 this season again at the expense of united that is when they will really start to suffer. 1 year out is a blip, 2 is a decline. That's when all your money can't attract anyone of note, sponsorship falls and your bigger players push for moves out of the club.

Really don't give much of a toss about how they are doing now tbh. Want to see us get a sustained run of years back in the CL first (with some silverware being picked up along the way at domestic level).

Have seen far too many false dawns over the past two and a bit decades for me to get overly excited by what happens elsewhere.

Right now I see them, Spurs, Everton, and Arsenal as our main competition for the two CL slots (Cannot see City and Chelsea not finishing in a CL slot), so is going to be a tough old fight this season if five clubs get to scrap it out for two CL spots.

But damn is it good to be going into a season and expecting to be in the mix for a CL slot, because it means we are slowly raising our expectations and I really long for the days when very high expectations are both the norm and realistic season after season.

Forget cheeky bids put in a proper bid for Schneiderlin and offer them a player on loan as a sweetener.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

If Man Utd fail to regain a CL spot then I'll be

6WCzMmA.gif

But I wouldn't bet on it. Di Maria and Blind are good additions, and they might make 1 or 2 more before the transfer window closes. Van Gaal is supposed to take time to find his feet at clubs and it doesn't help with some of the player he has been bequeathed.

I'm more worried if we don't make top 4. All this money spent, 9 new signings. I know we've got CL this season and it'll be a tough campaign fighting on all fronts but there won't be any amnesty or relaxation of pressure for the club, especially for Rodgers just because he is new to this level or that Suarez is gone. It really is vital that we dig into the top 4 tougher than an Alabama tick. Even if it means abandoning further progression in the CL to concentrate on the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Augmerson wrote: »
    If Man Utd fail to regain a CL spot then I'll be

6WCzMmA.gif

But I wouldn't bet on it. Di Maria and Blind are good additions, and they might make 1 or 2 more before the transfer window closes. Van Gaal is supposed to take time to find his feet at clubs and it doesn't help with some of the player he has been bequeathed.

I'm more worried if we don't make top 4. All this money spent, 9 new signings. I know we've got CL this season and it'll be a tough campaign fighting on all fronts but there won't be any amnesty or relaxation of pressure for the club, especially for Rodgers just because he is new to this level or that Suarez is gone. It really is vital that we dig into the top 4 tougher than an Alabama tick. Even if it means abandoning further progression in the CL to concentrate on the league.

To be fair, I think our net spend is below Evertons. Financially, I don't think we have hung ourselves out to dry during this window.

In the event we do miss out, I still look at the age profile of the squad and I think we will be better and better in the next few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭The Letheram

First post here. I have been a liverpool supporter since the cup win of 1992. As a youngster I was mesmerised by the dribbling of McManaman that day and at the time thought that no better goal would ever be scored than Michael Thomas one that day. Little did I know the lean years and the heart ache would follow with none worse than Cantonas late goal in 96.
    Anyhow, I just stuck the head in to say hello and that today is a day almost as sad as that loss in 96 with my favourite ever player leaving in Daniel Agger. Thelove for the club that he has displayed over his years here is on a level with that of any local lad making the break through. We all knew with his Injury problems that he couldn't get a continuous run of games and that badly affected his form. Yes he had his faults as has been pointed out loads here, but I didn't say he was the best player I ever saw, just my favourite. All the best Danny boy, and as your knuckles say, YNWA.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

First proper look at Kieran Trippier at right full for Burnley today, I'm impressed he might be one for us to keep an eye on
    I flagged him up a few times on here last year. Has looked decent in the PL so far was brilliant in the championship.

First post here. I have been a liverpool supporter since the cup win of 1992. As a youngster I was mesmerised by the dribbling of McManaman that day and at the time thought that no better goal would ever be scored than Michael Thomas one that day. Little did I know the lean years and the heart ache would follow with none worse than Cantonas late goal in 96.
    Anyhow, I just stuck the head in to say hello and that today is a day almost as sad as that loss in 96 with my favourite ever player leaving in Daniel Agger. Thelove for the club that he has displayed over his years here is on a level with that of any local lad making the break through. We all knew with his Injury problems that he couldn't get a continuous run of games and that badly affected his form. Yes he had his faults as has been pointed out loads here, but I didn't say he was the best player I ever saw, just my favourite. All the best Danny boy, and as your knuckles say, YNWA.

And not your last I hope. Welcome to the forum and to the LFC superduperthread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

It's your first post in this new thread but you have posted in the previous iterations of the Liverpool thread. As recently as 3 days ago! I remember the username.

I don't think you need to introduce yourself at the start of each new thread!

Welcome all the same.

It's your first post in this new thread but you have posted in the previous iterations of the Liverpool thread. As recently as 3 days ago! I remember the username.

Welcome all the same.

Kess rushes off to amend the forum charter :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭The Letheram

Welcome all the same.

Haha well done. I had forgotten about that. My username suits me so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Great result :D

Stoke do what we couldn't do. Very frustrating as I did feel at times they were there for the taking the other night just we looked even more for the taking.

Victory Moses tried more of a leg than he ever did for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Well done Stoke! And City at home and all.

Both Manchester clubs dropping points should be a great incentive for us tomorrow, only problem is that it should be just as big an incentive for the team we are playing.

Slightly concerned that we might be a little disjointed as we will most likely have three players coming into the team that did not play in the last game.

Am expecting to see

Mignolet
    Manquillo
    Lovern
    Sakho
    Moreno
    Gerrard
    ----Henderson
    Allen

Sterling

Balotelli
    Sturridge

Althought would not be overly surprised to see Can in place of Allen if Rodgers decides we need a bit more of a physical presence in the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Both Manchester clubs dropping points should be a great incentive for us tomorrow, only problem is that it should be just as big an incentive for the team we are playing.

Slightly concerned that we might be a little disjointed as we will most likely have three players coming into the team that did not play in the last game.

Am expecting to see

Mignolet
    Manquillo
    Lovern
    Sakho
    Moreno
    Gerrard
    ----Henderson
    Allen

Sterling

Balotelli
    Sturridge

Althought would not be overly surprised to see Can in place of Allen if Rodgers decides we need a bit more of a physical presence in the centre.

Is Moreno fit? I thought I read somewhere yesterday Rodgers saying they would wait and see? Enrique otherwise I'd imagine.

• Advertisement

Mignolet
    Manquillo
    Lovern
    Sakho
    Moreno
    Gerrard
    ----Henderson
    Allen

Sterling

Balotelli
    Sturridge

I really would like to see that team with Can instead Gerrard in a cup game playing a high line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

good results so far in the league today...mon the toffees

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

I am not so sure about Can since the last game. Seemed content to be reckless and give away silly fouls. Hope he settles in quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Yep, Pochettino has got them quietly ticking over nicely, well under the radar.

Which is annoying. You'd miss Sherwood. :pac:

Great results today. Looks like this season could be as unpredictable as last years

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

To be fair, I think our net spend is below Evertons. Financially, I don't think we have hung ourselves out to dry during this window.

In the event we do miss out, I still look at the age profile of the squad and I think we will be better and better in the next few years.

What I should have expanded on was the money spent on players - the prices paid for players like Marko, Lallana which is over the 40m pound sterling mark - when a Griezmann or a Rakitic or a Kroos could have been signed for under that price. I think Liverpool have gotten as much as could be gotten for Suarez but where that money was reinvested if we under perform or fail to achieve top 4 will definitely come into question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭alan kelly

Predicted the draw for United but some result for City.. Makes tomorrow even more important..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Sorry to see Agger leave.

£3million seems crazy low price for a player of his quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Augmerson wrote: »
    What I should have expanded on was the money spent on players - the prices paid for players like Marko, Lallana which is over the 40m pound sterling mark - when a Griezmann or a Rakitic or a Kroos could have been signed for under that price. I think Liverpool have gotten as much as could be gotten for Suarez but where that money was reinvested if we under perform or fail to achieve top 4 will definitely come into question.

I know you're not necessarily saying those players in particular but they all signed for huge clubs and there's virtually no chance any of them would've chosen us. It doesn't matter what value they were if they're just not interested in us.

We weren't nor ever shall we be able to compete for signings with teams like City, Barca, Real and Chelsea. What's most important is that what we're doing is sustainable, which I think it is.

I really would like to see that team with Can instead Gerrard in a cup game playing a high line.

Try the same formation but with Lallana in for Allen, and maybe someone like Strootman (a fit version of course:)) or Carvalho (if we wanted someone a bit more physical but who could also play a bit) in where Gerrard is.

We look very very close to having a strong starting XI as well as some quality depth.

If I was being greedy then I would pop Clyne in at RB as well. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

A draw in the Everton Chelsea game would be good as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I'm sure the club could have gotten a higher fee from a bigger club, but they seem to have allowed Agger to make his own decision and go where he wants. Great gesture.

Also Alonso starts for Bayern today, apparently as part of a back 3.

5starpool wrote: »

I don't understand why people keep saying we need Everton to drop points.

They're not going to finish top 4. If we can't finish above them we're not good enough to get anywhere near the CL spots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Was dragged to Ikea for the afternoon. Just saw results now. Stoke, bloody hell! Burnley, unlucky. Hope Everton win against....actually, a draw would be nice.

FFS Everton. 3 minutes and 2 down.

Gbear wrote: »

They're not going to finish top 4. If we can't finish above them we're not good enough to get anywhere near the CL spots.

They won't finish top 4, no, but I don't want them to be that close to us either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

The hell just happened Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I imagine the 'parent club' agreement with Brondby made up the remaining ~£7 million of his market value. Could turn out to be a very astute bit of business. Doubt the club would have forgone those millions just to let Agger have his pick, no room for sentimentality when it hinders finances to that extent.

Sorry to see him go too, but it was necessary given the three CBs ahead of him in the pecking order. He still has plenty to offer as a player, no one wants him wasting away as a fourth choice. Toure, Coates and even Lloyd Jones are more than adequate back up with Wisdom and Ilori out on loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Blip in sky there hearing the director

• Advertisement

Gbear wrote: »

Think it was more a case of folk hoping that Everton would take points from Chelsea.

At least before Chelsea scored twice in the opening 3 minutes anyway.:D

As for Everton not being any sort of threat. Well I hope you are right, but I can see them being in the mix for top six or seven, and if they do keep up that sort of form, then any sort of slip up from the likes of us, Spurs etc could see Everton capitalise. They looked a pretty well organised unit last season, and it could be argued that they will be that bit more settled this season.

I don't expect them to be in the top four, but would not be willing to discount them as a threat just yet. Afterall last season not many thought that we could bounce from 7th to being in with a sniff of the title right up to the death, but we managed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

Doubt the club would have forgone those millions just to let Agger have his pick, no room for sentimentality when it hinders finances to that extent.
    I may(read probably ) be wrong but were the club not contracted to pay him 120k/wk for the next two years even though he would rarely play. He could have chose not to forgo 12.5 m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I thought Costa was crocked for 6 weeks, rags for ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I may(read probably ) be wrong but were the club not contracted to pay him 120k/wk for the next two years even though he would rarely play. He could have chose not to forgo 12.5 m.

Also a possibility. Definitely wasn't a case of 'Ah shur, he's a great lad. We'll go accept this offer of less than half his market value so he can go home" :)

He did not forgo all of what would have been due to him. Listening to a few reports it appears that he got some but not all of that money.

Lot of talk floating about how one or two donations from him are on the cards as well. Which would not be out of character as he is a player that has done his bit in Liverpool when away from club duties, and like a number of players he has been fairly low profile about it similar to how stuff done in the past by the likes of Alonso, Hyypia, Babel (an absolute legend when it came to getting involved with kids and youth projects), Babbel, Smicer etc all went under the radar somewhat when it came to the media picking up on stuff.

Hello.....a bit of life being shown by Everton.

We might yet get a day when all the results go our way. :)

• Advertisement

Next season when we only need to strengthen with a player or 2 I hope we dangle £25/30m in front of kenwright for Coleman. Incredible full back I would love at Anfield a constant threat.

They won't finish top 4, no, but I don't want them to be that close to us either.

I don't give a ****e where they finish. We're all that matters and results against our competition are better for us than teams that have no impact on us.

How much would it cost us to get Coleman to cross Stanley Park.

I am kind of joking as I know it would not happen.

Next season when we only need to strengthen with a player or 2 I hope we dangle £25/30m in front of kenwright for Coleman. Incredible full back I would love at Anfield a constant threat.

Would love to know what it would cost to get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Well lads I've been away for the day and just checking in now. Anything exciting happen today ?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement