Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

ebbsy wrote: »
    D'ont worry about Utd buying all those players, its like putting lipstick on a pig.

You can't polish a turd..........

I think we should definitely be worried when our rivals sign Di Maria and Falcao to their existing attacking options - Rooney, RVP, Mata.

If they add to that at xmas with CM and Defensive options they could very quickly become a very good side again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I honestly would like to see the club try for Neuer next season.

I would have no problem breaking Buffon's record.

Now I know the likelihood of it happening would be slim.

Maybe just maybe Neuer would want a new challenge after winning everything in the game.

Would be amazing, but so few German players move away, and even fewer succeed. Assuming that Bayern can pay at a similar level to their rivals, they can be fairly sure of keeping the cream of German talent for some time yet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

gafferino wrote: »
    I think we should definitely be worried when our rivals sign Di Maria and Falcao to their existing attacking options - Rooney, RVP, Mata.

If they add to that at xmas with CM and Defensive options they could very quickly become a very good side again.

It's only a question of time. They have way more money to spend on players than any other club, so can outbid anyone and stay within FFP rules. They will continue to spend vast amounts of money on any positions that need filling, and will be back as soon as they do. So, in the meantime, let's enjoy it while it lasts, and enjoy our own team playing good football.

It's only a question of time. They have way more money to spend on players than any other club, so can outbid anyone and stay within FFP rules. They will continue to spend vast amounts of money on any positions that need filling, and will be back as soon as they do. So, in the meantime, let's enjoy it while it lasts, and enjoy our own team playing good football.

3830025-1045.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

I honestly would like to see the club try for Neuer next season.

I would have no problem breaking Buffon's record.

Now I know the likelihood of it happening would be slim.

Maybe just maybe Neuer would want a new challenge after winning everything in the game.

Lloris would have been my choice, and more "gettable" IMO, really thought we should have shoved a cheeky bid in for him after sherwood got the boot, with all the uncertainty we might have got him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

@borinifabio29
    Finally the madness is finished! I protected the MAN and the player that I am today...
    ...taking all the responsibility of the situation and for people who didn't want it...
    ...and I m VERY happy with myself to have taken such an important decision!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Fair play to Borini, he must have absolute faith in himself that he can force his way into the first team and stay there. Glad to have the competition among the strikers and I really do hope that when he chance comes, he grabs it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Sappy404 wrote: »

Hmmmm, let the speculation begin. I just don't see it working out for him but we'll see.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sort of comical in its "bring it on!" bravado, trouble is if he ain't playing its all for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Far play to Borini he want's to stay and fight for his place it will probably not work out but he wants to fight for it.

That is the spirit we want and need at the club from squad players wanting to play.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    Hmmmm, let the speculation begin. I just don't see it working out for him but we'll see.

Well if we have any injuries, he will at least make the bench as our back-up striker, and no real competition from the youth team from Yesil, Canos or Sinclair. So I am sure he'll get a few games.

Let's see if he can "do a hendo" and make us thankful that he stayed and fought...

Sort of comical in its "bring it on!" bravado, trouble is if he ain't playing its all for nothing.

He could do a Hendo on us!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I reckon he will get his chances, its a long season there will be injuries and we favour playing with 2 strikers. I'm not that surprised he is still here, he feels he deserves his shot and wants to give it a go before he drops to the annual relegation battle level.

He is a good quality striker for 4th choice, a previously capped Italian international. Plus a fellow Italian in the squad only helps Mario IMO.

I am however really surprised to see Lucas here still, he looks well out of favour and isn't the same player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Borini comes across as some clown with those tweets tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I don't know why people were so keen for him to make a move yesterday. I'd much rather have a 4th choice striker until January than £12m we can't spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

United front two of Falcao and Van Persie.

3 behind them Di Maria, Rooney and Mata.

On paper it looks class but
    Will they gel?
    Will egos get involved that previously Ferguson could control?
    Will Van Persie change his game to accommodate Falcao?
    Will both stay injury free at the same time?
    Has Rojo been cleared to play yet for United?
    Will Rooney be happy to have to fall behind in the pecking order of strikers to becoming more an attacking midfield?

No doubt they'll have games against some of the lower teams that they could potentially rip apart but there are a lot of questions
    with the front five never mind the back five that they haven't really addressed at all.

They still have Cleverly, Fletcher and Anderson for midfield. Rafael and Valencia for right back. Jones and Smalling for centre backs and relying on an 18 year old Shaw with a 30 million price tag over his head.

They have already dropped 7 points in games where on paper they should have taken the full 9 and the only change to the team that started against Burnley is that they have bought Blind and Falcao.

I would be a lot more worried about United this season if they had got in Hummels and Vidal.

There's also the melting pot of LVG. How long more will he keep his cool as the press pick apart everything he does?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I don't know why people were so keen for him to make a move yesterday. I'd much rather have a 4th choice striker until January than £12m we can't spend.

When we get £7m or £8m for him in January after zero PL/CL appearances for us this season you'll see why!

kfallon wrote: »
    When we get £7m or £8m for him in January after zero PL/CL appearances for us this season you'll see why!

If we still plan on selling him, we will make sure we play him a bit, or wait until next summer. No chance that we will keep all of our strikers fit all season...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

kfallon wrote: »
    Borini comes across as some clown with those tweets tbh!

I don't think he does at all . The bloke wants to stay and fight for a place . The more competition the better if you ask me . Your only as weak as your worst player . Last season LFC had no bench and well now it's a case of BR can make a bench and leave players like Lucas at home . I'm not slating Lucas it just shows the options available now .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I don't think Borini is good enough. Would prefer if he left. He's not wanted by the manager anymore.

8-10 wrote: »
    I don't think Borini is good enough. Would prefer if he left. He's not wanted by the manager anymore.

Unless someone else is brought in I'd keep him just in case we hit a really bad run of injuries.

dogbert27 wrote: »

Will they gel?
    Will Rooney be happy to have to fall behind in the pecking order of strikers to becoming more an attacking midfield?

No doubt they'll have games against some of the lower teams that they could potentially rip apart but there are a lot of questions
    with the front five never mind the back five that they haven't really addressed at all.

They still have Cleverly, Fletcher and Anderson for midfield. Rafael and Valencia for right back. Jones and Smalling for centre backs and relying on an 18 year old Shaw with a 30 million price tag over his head.

They have already dropped 7 points in games where on paper they should have taken the full 9 and the only change to the team that started against Burnley is that they have bought Blind and Falcao.

I would be a lot more worried about United this season if they had got in Hummels and Vidal.

There's also the melting pot of LVG. How long more will he keep his cool as the press pick apart everything he does?

Seen their fixtures posted on another thread and the first tough game they have is Everton in OCTOBER!
    We've already played 2 of the top 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Seen their fixtures posted on another thread and the first tough game they have is Everton in OCTOBER!

We have now but our fixture list is pretty easy until November (in the league at least).

If we're supposed to be getting top 4, never mind challenging for the league, we need to be getting at least 15 points from the next 6 games.

They also have plenty of time to train getting used to new systems and getting players back from injury under a new manager having only 6 games in the next 2 months.

No easy games tbh.

• Advertisement

Dickerty wrote: »
    If we still plan on selling him, we will make sure we play him a bit, or wait until next summer. No chance that we will keep all of our strikers fit all season...

Yeah, I think he could start the League Cup game.

Possibly go two up top for it with Lambert and Borini to get game time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Bit of a strange one this Fabio Borini thing.

On one hand, maybe he thinks he can break into the team but that's delusional considering Rodgers couldn't have done any more to make it clear he's not wanted. He also will be lucky to make the bench most weeks given the numbers Liverpool have now assembled. On the other, given his wage demands last night, he might not want to sacrifice the money he will make at Liverpool for the next three years. Maybe it's a combination of both.

Either way, good luck to him. Though it seems to be a bit of a waste of a good talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

He's gonna go on a hacking run in training, and see if he can cripple Sturridge, Balo and Lambert.

Its a masterplan.

Knex. wrote: »
    He's gonna go on a hacking run in training, and see if he can cripple Sturridge, Balo and Lambert.

Its a masterplan.

That's what I'd do! :pac:

Knex. wrote: »

Its a masterplan.

Sturridge to Balo "We don't need to be faster than Fabio, only faster than Lambo!"

• Advertisement

An excellent point. Unless he will massively decline in value in 4 months (which he won't), there was no immediate upside to selling him. At least we have him for cover if the worst happens...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

From Sky
    Borini’s representative says Inter Milan were among those looking to reach a loan agreement on Monday, but were knocked back.

Marco De Marchi has also claimed that the offer snubbed from Queens Park Rangers was not suitable for ‘an important player’.

He told fcinternews.it: “The player still has two years on his contract with Liverpool and they decided not to consider offers for a loan.

“Inter Milan and other very important clubs in Europe wanted him on loan.

“Liverpool didn’t accept and then QPR made an offer to buy him immediately. But the proposal for the player was not a proposal for an important player.

“Now Fabio will stay with Liverpool and try to convince the coach to give him a chance. He is used to fighting for things.

“I don’t know what will happen in the January market.”

Bold bit made me laugh, love to know what the wage gap was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

From Sky

Interesting re: the loan stuff.

A bloke on the Sunderland forum who has been known to get stuff correct in the past was adamant a few weeks back that our £14m offer for Borini was taken off the table when we paid £10m for Rodwell, and instead wanted him on loan which Liverpool didn't want.

He also said at the same time that Inter wanted to sign Borini permanently if they could offload Guarin for a fee.

Paully D wrote: »
    Interesting re: the loan stuff.

A bloke on the Sunderland forum who has been known to get stuff correct in the past was adamant a few weeks back that our £14m offer for Borini was taken off the table when we paid £10m for Rodwell, and instead wanted him on loan which Liverpool didn't want.

He also said at the same time that Inter wanted to sign Borini permanently if they could offload Guarin for a fee.

My guess is Broini was holding out for a permanent move back to Italy all along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Christ on a bike. No transfer window and no football this week.

Sad times :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Vicxas wrote: »
    Christ on a bike. No transfer window and no football this week.

Sad times :(

Yep, it's going to get a lot quieter, unless Mario gets up to something during Training... ;)

J.

My guess is Broini was holding out for a permanent move back to Italy all along.

That would be his only chance of making the Italian squad.

From Sky

Bold bit made me laugh, love to know what the wage gap was.

According to the bbc last night they offered him ~60k he was looking for 90k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

According to the bbc last night they offered him ~60k he was looking for 90k.

That's "I don't want to come to you but if you are prepared to pay it I will money". He knew very well he wasn't going to get 90k that's why he asked for it, he's on 40/50k with Liverpool sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Could you blame him?

Wait for an Italian club and in the mean time, stick with a CL club who'll have loads of games with 1 striker who's old, 1 who's injury prone and 1 who's far from a guaranteed success or take a trip down Cluster**** Blvd. to QPR?

I know which one I'd pick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The wages thing sounds strange. In fairness to Borini the move has hardly worked out for him between injuries and then loaned out, and if he's prepared to try and make a go of it, fair play to him.

For a guy with such great movement he fairly dug his heels in!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Borini also engaged to a local girl so probably another reason why he's in no hurry to move just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

dogbert27 wrote: »

Will they gel?

There's a big gang of Man Utd fans
    > That way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

not yet wrote: »
    There's a big gang of Man Utd fans
    > That way...

I think it's valid to discuss them.

If we accept that Chelsea, City and Arsenal are all likely to remain in the top four this season, then the biggest challenge to Liverpool making the Champs League next season is going to come from Spurs, Everton and Man Utd.

I reckon that of that three, Man Utd look the most dangerous, despite their poor start to the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

I think it's valid to discuss them.

If we accept that Chelsea, City and Arsenal are all likely to remain in the top four this season, then the biggest challenge to Liverpool making the Champs League next season is going to come from Spurs, Everton and Man Utd.

I reckon that of that three, Man Utd look the most dangerous, despite their poor start to the season.

I agree with the last part, It still doesn't stop me not giving a flying fcuk who they sign, or what Van fish face is up to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

@borinifabio29
    ...taking all the responsibility of the situation and for people who didn't want it...

Is it just me or does that read like hes saying hes taking responsibility for the backing out of the move on behalf of someone else. There was speculation his missus was behind him demanding F U money from QPR as alluded to above.

Of course it could just read that way due to him not being a native English speaker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Liverpool should not be aiming for 4th this season.

if Utd get in the top 4, I'd like to think we're aiming to be in there with them, not simply being replaced by them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I bet that's it. I am thinking that he has an eye on getting a place with the national team and he knows if he moves to Sunderland or QPR, then his chance of playing for Italy are greatly reduce. To block those moves, he just asked for astronomical wages.

I bet that if Inter or a top Italian club came in with low wages, he would happily have moved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

SlickRic wrote: »
    Liverpool should not be aiming for 4th this season.

if Utd get in the top 4, I'd like to think we're aiming to be in there with them, not simply being replaced by them.

LFC should be aiming to win the league nothing less is acceptable in my eyes .

• Advertisement

I bet that if Inter or a top Italian club came in with low wages, he would happily have moved.

I'd bring it back to his recent engagement. Where THEY see their future has a big bearing on where he might end up. Milan being a better option than Sunderland, but she's a Liverpool girl...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement