Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

gordon should try and set him up with a nice geordie lass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

My guess is Broini was holding out for a permanent move back to Italy all along.

I'd tend to agree. I said the same thing about a month back.

As has been mentioned, I'm sure he'd have taken the lower wages in Italy over Sunderland/QPR's higher wage offers if a concrete offer had come in.

@SkySports_Keith
    My understanding is Sunderland pulled out all the stops to get Borini, but the Italian made it clear he didn't want to return to Wearside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

SlickRic wrote: »
    Liverpool should not be aiming for 4th this season.

if Utd get in the top 4, I'd like to think we're aiming to be in there with them, not simply being replaced by them.

Someone made a very valid point last night that Arsenal could finally be the ones to fall out of the top 4 this season. For some reason they always seem to have mid season slumps due to horrific injury lists but they always get it together to grab fourth place by the end of the season. With our squad so strong this year and Man U strengthening Arsenal could well be the fall guy this year, their signing of Wellbeck smacks of desperation and if they dont get him scoring regular y a la Sturridge then they could well be in a spot of bother come May.

I wonder has it been mentioned by the FA yet for the PL to get a fifth Champions League spot ? Its probably too soon but at the same time its obvious that the EPL has taken a giant leap in terms of competitiveness over the last three years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Someone made a very valid point last night that Arsenal could finally be the ones to fall out of the top 4 this season. For some reason they always have horrific injury lists but usually get it together to grab fourth place by the end of the season. With our squad so strong this year and Man U strengthening Arsenal could well be the fall guy this year, their signing of Wellbeck smacks of desperation and if they dont get him scoring regulary a la Sturridge then they could well be in a spot of bother come May.

I wonder has it been mentioned by the FA yet for the PL to get a fifth Champions League spot ? Its probably too soon but at the same time its obvious that the EPL has taken a giant leap in terms of competitiveness over the last three years.

to be fair, someone somewhere makes a similar argument every season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Someone made a very valid point last night that Arsenal could finally be the ones to fall out of the top 4 this season. For some reason they always seem to have mid season slumps due to horrific injury lists but they always get it together to grab fourth place by the end of the season. With our squad so strong this year and Man U strengthening Arsenal could well be the fall guy this year, their signing of Wellbeck smacks of desperation and if they dont get him scoring regular y a la Sturridge then they could well be in a spot of bother come May.

Not a chance they will allow 5 places. That's a quarter of the whole top tier!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Not a chance they will allow 5 places. That's a quarter of the whole top tier!

It's already a possibility if a Premier League team were to win the Europa Cup and finish outside the top 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

To give arsenal a bit of credit they also signed Alexis Sanchez and will have Walcott back who is more or less a new player for them this season.

I will agree that they have probably the worst injury record every year.
    Something very wrong there as this cant be a coincidence every year

injuries-1078.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭ratracer

It's already a possibility if a Premier League team were to win the Europa Cup and finish outside the top 4.

Did this not happen a few years ago, when Spurs finished fourth but were kicked down to the Europa League??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

ratracer wrote: »
    Did this not happen a few years ago, when Spurs finished fourth but were kicked down to the Europa League??

That was the year Chelsea won the Champions League but finished outside the top 4.

The rules were changed after Liverpool did similar in 2005.

I don't think it's the same if a team win the Europa though - happy to be corrected on that if I'm wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I don't think it's the same if a team win the Europa though - happy to be corrected on that if I'm wrong.

It's not. Only thing I think that happens is that the third placed team have to play a qualifying round also while the Europa winners go straight into the group draw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Lots of goading today from the united crowd at home, about who they signed and they will win the league and Liverpool will finish 6th. The usual crap.

Regardless of who united signed its not going to turn us into a crap team over night, we were the 2nd best team last season, I currently see us finishing third. We have cohesion and play as a team something united have yet to find and takes time no matter what superstar you buy. With talents like Sterling, Sturridge, Balotelli, Coutinho and Moreno the only way is up IMO. Real Madrid spent years buying the best and it really only came to fruition last season.

I'd love Falcao or Di Maria in our team but for once in a long time, I am very happy with our team going into a new season. And to be honest I rate our manager over any player we have or could buy, the transformation we have taken under him is nothing short of amazing and he is unlucky not to have an EPL title to show that. The confidence and swagger instilled by him in our young players can't be bought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

if Utd get in the top 4, I'd like to think we're aiming to be in there with them, not simply being replaced by them.
    Is that because we should be winning the league? :)

I'm joking, but why do you think it's between us and United for 4th? Sure, United have re-enforced massively, but right now they're 4 points behind us and they look a mess.You're also making an assumption that Arsenal are a shoe in for 3rd. That's a massive assumption given how well we've been playing, the holes in their squad and their form. For me, Arsenal could very well end up becoming the Manchester United of last season (I could easily see them finishing 5th or 6th).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Yesterday I would have said we would have been fighting for 4th with a host of clubs with Chelsea, City & *Arsenal ahead of us.

*I was sure Arsenal were going to sign a world class striker in Falcao or Cavani.

Welbeck could well do a good job for them but I think now we should be fighting them for 3rd and giving Chelsea and City as hard a challenge as possible for the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Is that because we should be winning the league? :)

I'm joking, but why do you think it's between us and United for 4th? Sure, United have re-enforced massively, but right now they're 4 points behind us and they look a mess.You're also making an assumption that Arsenal are a shoe in for 3rd. That's a massive assumption given how well we've been playing, the holes in their squad and their form. For me, Arsenal could very well end up becoming the Manchester United of last season (I could easily see them finishing 5th or 6th).
    Yesterday I would have said we would have been fighting for 4th with a host of clubs with Chelsea, City & *Arsenal ahead of us.

*I was sure Arsenal were going to sign a world class striker in Falcao or Cavani.

Welbeck could well do a good job for them but I think now we should be fighting them for 3rd and giving Chelsea and City as hard a challenge as possible for the title.

Would have to agree given the holes in the squad of both Arsenal (Giroud & DM) along with United (CB and MF and DMF) im not sure how we are not in a much stronger position than they are ?
    I would argue its between those two and spurs to battle it out for 4th.
    The distraction of the CL will be telling for us and Arsenal though so that will be interesting as the year goes on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

and yes, United fans (in real life) are in full goading mode alright.

it seems as though they're the same as the rest of us when it comes down to it. for years my mates hated money being thrown at teams, and would've hated for that to be compromised for the sake of superstars on big wages from abroad.

oh how circumstances change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

it seems as though they're the same as the rest of us when it comes down to it. for years my mates hated money being thrown at teams, and would've hated for that to be compromised for the sake of superstars on big wages from abroad.

Oh I know I have saw them at it all day !!! But sure who gives a damn what they are thinking if you ask me .
    The point you are making is very very valid and it's easy to see why they are some of the most hated football fans in the world .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Vicxas wrote: »
    Christ on a bike. No transfer window and no football this week.

Sad times :(

The All Ireland final is on Sunday, and the NFL returns this week...Happy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Vanolder wrote: »
    The All Ireland final is on Sunday, and the NFL returns this week...Happy days.

Formula 1 should be very spicy this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

One of my United mates is not happy at all. He even finds it weird himself, as he rates Di Maria and Falcao, but he just think its not addressing the issues at all.

Doesn't like the thought process at the Club, and the way things are right now.

He's very much in the minority with United fans that I know, though. Rest of them are out with their annual bets with the proper "Our Year" Liverpool fans, over who will win the league.

Few more are betting on who finishes ahead of each other, which is a little more realistic, thankfully. Neither team are winning the league this year, IMO.

Both will do very well to finish Top 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Knex. wrote: »
    One of my United mates is not happy at all. He even finds it weird himself, as he rates Di Maria and Falcao, but he just think its not addressing the issues at all.

He's very much in the minority with United fans that I know, though. Rest of them are out with their annual bets with the proper "Our Year" Liverpool fans, over who will win the league.

Few more are betting on who finishes ahead of each other, which is a little more realistic, thankfully. Neither team are winning the league this year, IMO.

From what I have seen so far from all of the contenders, Liverpool look best placed to finish third.

• Advertisement

Fescue wrote: »
    From what I have seen so far from all of the contenders, Liverpool look best placed to finish third.

Way too early to tell after three games though, to be fair.

However, I did have a chuckle at this last night.

What's the difference between a triangle and Manchester United?

A triangle has three points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Whatever about United, to say Liverpool getting fourth is doing "very well" this season is to low of an expectation this year.

Liverpool should be aiming for fourth this year at least and it would be a big disappointment to finish outside of the top four imo.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Way too early to tell after three games though, to be fair.

However, I did have a chuckle at this last night.

What's the difference between a triangle and Manchester United?

A triangle has three points.

What's the difference between a triangle and Liverpool?

A triangle has 3 points.

Works there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

5starpool wrote: »
    What's the difference between a triangle and Liverpool?

A triangle has 3 points.

Works there too.

Eh......

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Eh......

We have 6 points.

;)

Yes, I know, but still.

We have 6 points.

;)

Yes, I know, but still.

Ah now. I'm gonna need a bullet point list of assumptions if we're gonna go down that route!

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

We have 6 points.

;)

Yes, I know, but still.

So to sum up, currently united are a line segment and Liverpool are a hexagon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

What's the difference between Liverpool last season and an octacontakaipentagon? The octacontakaipentagon has 85 points.

I'm here till Thursday -- try the veal!

So to sum up, currently united are a line segment and Liverpool are a hexagon.

Much better.

If the original joke/punchline was:

What is the difference between Man Utd and a triangle?
    A triangle has more points.

Then there would be no need for pedants like me. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

... Liverpool are a hexagon.

Or 2 triangles :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

and ye are all a bunch of squares.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    and ye are all a bunch of squares.

Totally uncalled for! Yellow card imminent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

What's the difference between Liverpool last season and an octacontakaipentagon? The octacontakaipentagon has 85 points.

I'm here till Thursday -- try the veal!

Is that Apu from The Simpsons surname?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

We have 6 points.

;)

Yes, I know, but still.

Whats your point..?

not yet wrote: »
    Whats your point..?

Put your panties back on.

• Advertisement

Put your panties back on.

Take them off your face and give them back then.

You do know it was a joke..........!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Gonna be a longgggggggggggggggggggggg week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I've been out of my mallet all weekend, somebody please give me a round up of the ins and outs last night. Word is that Jimmy Chungs are after signing up Yaya Sanogo on a 5 week contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Super analysis of Welbeck Vs Falcao for those getting their knickers in a twist over United signing Falcao -http://statsbomb.com/2014/09/into-the-mixer-digging-into-the-summer-2014-transfers/

I've been out of my mallet all weekend, somebody please give me a round up of the ins and outs last night. Word is that Jimmy Chungs are after signing up Yaya Sanogo on a 5 week contract.

We dones all our bidness early, that's all that I knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Daemonic wrote: »
    Gonna be a longgggggggggggggggggggggg week.

Not for me, hon tipp!

klose wrote: »
    Not for me, hon tipp!

"Tip, tip, tip, tip".

Possibly the shittest chant in the history of Sports.

Good team, though.

not yet wrote: »
    You do know it was a joke..........!!

Nope, too late. We are now enemies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

"Tip, tip, tip, tip".

Possibly the shittest chant in the history of Sports.

Good team, though.

It's bad, but for me nothing is worse than USA's;
    "I believe that we will win"

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    It's bad, but for me nothing is worse than USA's;
    "We believe that we will win"

That makes me a laugh, quite a bit, actually. Probably why I don't have it top of the list, but its because its so terrible that it makes me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

The express is saying we have agreed personal terms with Valdes.

That makes me a laugh, quite a bit, actually. Probably why I don't have it top of the list, but its because its so terrible that it makes me laugh.

I was in the midst of it over here, hearing it daily, everywhere. Makes my skin crawl now.

Nope, too late. We are now enemies.

Ah Jaysus give me another chance, I can change I promise.

I was trying to be funny, I know now I'm better leaving that to others. And I'm also only new around here and learning who the top dogs are etc.

Benzino wrote: »

pinch of salt for the moment, but ever since I first heard it, been hoping this was true. Would bring our summer work up to nigh on perfect levels with pretty much every weakness being addressed. A DM would have been nice, but that's about it, and hopefully Lucas and Can will do a job there when needed.

Benzino wrote: »

Hope so..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement