Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Just watched Dirk Kuyt's top 5 moments on LFC tv. His number one was scoring the last penalty against Chelsea to get into the 2007 CL final.

It cut to a picture of Rafa sitting Buddha like and then it hit me. He should have never grown that damn beard!!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

not yet wrote: »
    Ah Jaysus give me another chance, I can change I promise.

I was trying to be funny, I know now I'm better leaving that to others. And I'm also only new around here and learning who the top dogs are etc.

I was recently ranked number 43 in the LFC superthread top 100*, so know who you are messing with.

I'll put this whole incident down to japes, hijinks and devilment and we'll call it quits.

*may not be a thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Daemonic wrote: »
    Gonna be a longgggggggggggggggggggggg week.

This week or next week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

5starpool wrote: »
    I was recently ranked number 43 in the LFC superthread top 100*, so know who you are messing with.

I'll put this whole incident down to japes, hijinks and devilment and we'll call it quits.

*may not be a thing

You will never know how grateful I am. You are indeed a kind and merciful Man, and I'm guessing fully befitting of your #43 status.

Once again thank you and best wishes to you and your's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Just watched Dirk Kuyt's top 5 moments on LFC tv. His number one was scoring the last penalty against Chelsea to get into the 2007 CL final.

It cut to a picture of Rafa sitting Buddha like and then it hit me. He should have never grown that damn beard!!

Are you trying to tell me you didn't grow a 'Rafa' during that period? Tut tut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

We were supposed to stop???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,039 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

dogbert27 wrote: »

I dunno man, Rafa's best season came with the beard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I dunno man, Rafa's best season came with the beard.

His best season ended with the winning of the Champions league. Unless you mean the season with the best placing in the league during his time.

Will take major silverware over second place in the league every time though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,039 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Kess73 wrote: »
    His best season ended with the winning of the Champions league. Unless you mean the season with the best placing in the league during his time.

Will take major silverware over second place in the league every time though.

Fair point...best League season I guess.

Either way, beard doesn't equal downfall is my point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

BenThere wrote: »
    Super analysis of Welbeck Vs Falcao for those getting their knickers in a twist over United signing Falcao -http://statsbomb.com/2014/09/into-the-mixer-digging-into-the-summer-2014-transfers/

from below that peice -
    Speed kills, and Liverpool have probably the fastest attack I have ever seen. At age 19, Raheem Sterling is already one of the best players in the Premier League. Liverpool’s ability to challenge for the title rests on whether Rodgers manages to adjust his system/personnel to control the midfield better, or whether his defenders are good enough now to consistently win battles against opposing attackers on their own. For the neutral, Liverpool’s balls-to-the-wall style is now must see TV.

Not just the neutral baby! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Valdes would be a real smart signing. He's won everything in the game and at 32 has plenty left in him. His shot stopping, reflexes, reading of the game, commanding of the box and distribution are all good to very good. I would be confident he would be first choice very quick.

Distribution is one thing I miss with mignolet his kicking is awful, something I really underrated Reina for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Ridiculous amount of beards around at the moment. Bloody hipsters have ruined it for the rest of us beardies that are basically just too lazy to shave.

I've had a beard for 20 years and am seriously considering shaving it off until they're uncool again.

I've just spent 3 hours catching up on the thread and couldn't think of anything football related to say because everything's been said. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Ridiculous amount of beards around at the moment. Bloody hipsters have ruined it for the rest of us beardies that are basically just too lazy to shave.

I've had a beard for 20 years and am seriously considering shaving it off until they're uncool again.

I've just spent 3 hours catching up on the thread and couldn't think of anything football related to say because everything's been said. Sorry.

The amount of doses walking around Dublin looking like Conor McGregor is unreal. The beard, hair flick and vest. Knob jockeys the lot of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

You were the Hipster 20 years ago who got to lazy to shave it off then :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Jaysus no.

If I had to do something like that with every manager I'd be needing cosmetic surgery after rubbing my forehead off doing a Hodgson or now needing my teeth fixed and whitened doing a Rodgers!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

The amount of doses walking around Dublin looking like Conor McGregor is unreal. The beard, hair flick and vest. Knob jockeys the lot of them.

And each and every one of them think they are 100% original :D

I'm listening to statsbomb summer round up podcast - they love Liverpool, except the central midfield and note the side have a bit to do in terms of "game control".

They think Falcao is a potentially terrible deal.

http://soundcloud.vo.llnwd.net/R5fv68Z4ZghY?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJNIGGLK7XA7YZSNQ&Expires=1409700382&Signature=SVLQXrV0cKlHDEzSHlKy7dAJKzk%3D&e=1409700382&h=b607e1f8cb69aea794584a93dd2dfda6

edit - that was an interesting listen. Number crunching is the future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

You were the Hipster 20 years ago who got to lazy to shave it off then :p

Are you saying I was a hipster before hipsters were hipsters?

I am the protohipster.

I hope I don't wake up tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Hendo sterling and sturridge starting tomorrow for england so expect them to return quite slow after a dosage of the hodge.

Also this,

@BreakfastPercy: Looking fwd to Jonathan Wilson's next book "Flattening The Diamond"- an in depth look at Hodgson playing the same formation he always does :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Honestly couldnt inform the least knowledgeable about Valdes, all i can remember is this from his entire career :pac:

1289237440_victor-valdes-vs-ndoye-dame-face-kick-foul.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

What is the craic with free transfers. The way I had it understood is that we can sign players up until October, but anything from here on in, players cannot be registered for the Premier League, with Europe closing in the next week or so?

Henderson, Sturridge and Sterling all starting against Norway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Some bell end i know put this up on facebook...embarrasing on so many levels.

o3afcaY.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

In fairness I've seen some equally embarrassing memes and pics/stats put up from both sides in the last few days, just take them with a pinch of salt and try to see the funny side...if there's one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

El Inho wrote: »
    What is the craic with free transfers. The way I had it understood is that we can sign players up until October, but anything from here on in, players cannot be registered for the Premier League, with Europe closing in the next week or so?

Free agents can sign for anyone at anytime is my understanding. A transfer window is for club to club transfers of players.

Some of the things my Liverpool friends post on FB is truly embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Im cringing just reading it bet it will be on my feed soon enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Knex. wrote: »
    "Tip, tip, tip, tip".

Possibly the shittest chant in the history of Sports.

Good team, though.

You shut your damn mouth.
    5starpool wrote: »

*may not be a thing

I recently got voted best beard* and most likely not to be not here in the future.
    Super-Rush wrote: »
    Some of the things my Liverpool friends post on FB is truly embarrassing.

Personally I hate all Liverpool fans. Real world ones, Facebook ones and most certainly boards superthread posters with special ire reserved for those damn incorrigibly inglorious saps.
    We really are the worst.

*was going to say best hair in reference to Arrested development but then I had seen Kerri's post about beards. Bet ya he has a big dirty neck beard and a moustache with twirly bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Two ****in weeks.

Bleugh.

Better get addicted to smack to keep me occupied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I'm listening to statsbomb summer round up podcast - they love Liverpool, except the central midfield and note the side have a bit to do in terms of "game control".

http://soundcloud.vo.llnwd.net/R5fv68Z4ZghY?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJNIGGLK7XA7YZSNQ&Expires=1409700382&Signature=SVLQXrV0cKlHDEzSHlKy7dAJKzk%3D&e=1409700382&h=b607e1f8cb69aea794584a93dd2dfda6

Well worth a listen and also worth following #mixednuts on Twitter, his player analysis is very insightful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Between **** like this and the ice bucket challange, I've never been so glad not to have a facebook account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Gbear wrote: »
    Two ****in weeks.

Bleugh.

Better get addicted to smack to keep me occupied.

Jimmy Corkhill says stay off the gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

For some reason the link wont open. Here is the working link for anyone wants a listen

https://soundcloud.com/statsbomb/s2e1-epl-transfer-roundup-plus-the-summer-in-analytics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Is there an LFC bit I can skip to? Don't think I could handle 71 mins!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Stop befriending 12 year olds SG - problem solved

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Are you saying I was a hipster before hipsters were hipsters?

I am the protohipster.

I hope I don't wake up tomorrow morning.

No.. you're just a sap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

o3afcaY.jpg

Thats quite laughable really. Their description of Ballotelli is what people used to say about Suarez (and some still do) and look how much he progressed at Liverpool.

I would take Lovern over Rojo any day as Lovern has proved he can play in the PL. Yeah he had a shaky start but he will come good, I'm sure of that.

Luke Shaw v Moreno, I know who I would take. I have a feeling that Shaw might end up like Kevin Davies with the price tag being too much for him, especially if he starts getting hammered by the opposing fans for being a waste of money. The only saving grace for him is that they brought in Di Maria and Falcao to take some of that heat.

They seem to neglect Lallana, who I think could be an unbelievable player especially with the pace and talent around him now. Loads of passing options and players who will make good runs.

Lambert may be a journey man but he offers a completely different option against teams that may sit back and not allow Liverpool space behind them. I think he is a very shrewd signing as sometimes finesse and skill won't break down a team who are playing for a draw with 11 men behind the ball, sometimes you need brute force and he has that by the bucketload.

Falcao will either be an excellent signing or the next Veron. I think they should have addressed their CM/CB before taking another striker as they now remind me of Tottenham under Ardilles... loads of firepower but no backbone.

Di Maria is a signing I am very jealous of but I think if BR signed him it would really unbalance the changing room. At the moment he has a young team, a lot of them fighting to prove themselves and make their names. There doesn't seem to be any huge egos. They have real ambition and drive and sometimes when you have a player who has been there, done that, they don't have that fire in their belly and that nonchalance can be contagious.

Being honest, hadn't heard much of Markovic but from what I have seen he reminds me of a cross between Overmars and Modric. Very comfortable on the ball and lightening fast and its unusual to see a player with his pace play with his head up always looking for a pass.

Daley Blind is a good signing IMO, he is probably their best signing in that window.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Balague said, ‘Victor Valdes LOVES Liverpool!’, and that Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers would love to bring him to Anfield, especially for the ‘sweeper-keeper’ style he can bring to Liverpool’s pass and move philosophy.

• Advertisement

Balague said, ‘Victor Valdes LOVES Liverpool!’, and that Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers would love to bring him to Anfield, especially for the ‘sweeper-keeper’ style he can bring to Liverpool’s pass and move philosophy.

Sure, Reina has more of a sweeper style, and better quick distribution, but like Valdes, he is flawed and doesn't inspire confidence.

But in the absence of getting Cech, Leno or finding a gem somewhere, him and Migs would be two good options...

Dickerty wrote: »
    Is there an LFC bit I can skip to? Don't think I could handle 71 mins!

Ah you should listen through as you'll discover why City will be an over the hill side by 2018! The LFC stuff starts at 42 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Valdes under a high ball or cross doesn't inspire me. I can imagine him being decimated by the likes of Stoke. I would have loved to have seen a cheeky bid for Lloris, I think he is probably the second best keeper in the world behind Neuer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

RoboRat wrote: »

Daley Blind is a good signing IMO, he is probably their best signing in that window.

Agree with most of your post, in particular re Shaw. Daley Blind I'm less certain on though. Based on the world cup I think he could be a typical Dutch defensive player, silken passing, lovely positioning bit terrifyingly poor, inept or just dangerous when asked to actually defend (Stam is the only recent exception I can think of)

Yeah Facebook definitely brings out the worst in people

Numbskulls with opinions!

Falcao being compared v Lambert is the latest. Seen a few do the same on here which was pretty bizarre.

Comparing one of the world's best strikers v 3rd choice striker.

Personally I think Ronaldo >>>> Pennant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/169679-jon-i-ll-be-back-to-battle-again-soon

"I don't think it will be too long now and I think I should be back after the international break if all goes well," Flanagan told Liverpoolfc.com recently.

"It has been frustrating for me but I can't dwell on it. It was tough to pick up the injury in pre-season but I've just got to forget about that now and push on.

"It's going to be tough but I'm more determined than ever. It's a massive season for me and I just can't wait to get back now.

"There's a lot more competition for places, which is good for us. The manager has strengthened the squad with the new signings, so I've got to continue to work hard and then hopefully get a chance."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

I've no idea who this lad is!

⚽️ⓡ@ⓑ;@ⓗ; ⓜ@ⓓ;ⓙⓔⓡ ⚽️ ‏@Madger7 2h
    So proud to be a part of the @LFC club! Now It's time to keep working hard! Thanks everyone for your messages

YIXzuf3.jpg

LFC have signed another of those tricky Spanish kids - Madger Antonio Gomes from Villarreal. 17 years old. Can't find much at all about him but he does have a standard naff teen haircut.

146884.jpg?f=00000000

LFC have signed another of those tricky Spanish kids - Madger Antonio Gomes from Villarreal. 17 years old. Can't find much at all about him but he does have a standard naff teen haircut.

146884.jpg?f=00000000

Left winger! I'd like a striker...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭The Mulk

I thought he was some Dublin lad when I seen his name "Mad Ger",

Thanks for clearing that up;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

The Mig wrote: »
    I've no idea who this lad is!

⚽️ⓡ@ⓑ;@ⓗ; ⓜ@ⓓ;ⓙⓔⓡ ⚽️ ‏@Madger7 2h
    So proud to be a part of the @LFC club! Now It's time to keep working hard! Thanks everyone for your messages

YIXzuf3.jpg

Thats Victor Valdes.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement