Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

gafferino wrote: »
    Thats Victor Valdes.
    He'd wanna lay off them sunbeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

gafferino wrote: »
    Thats Victor Valdes.

Did no one ever tell him????

3lcd.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Balague is the biggest spoofer out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

He was the first to break the Di Maria story. Definitely had an inside track on that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Absolutely. He knows as much about what Rodgers wants as you or I...not very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Morzadec wrote: »
    He was the first to break the Di Maria story. Definitely had an inside track on that one

Throw enough muck and some will stick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Balague's friendship with Benitez gave him an in at one time.

But with Benitez now away from the English and Spainish leagues he is not as ITK as he once was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He's actually gotten a lot better lately, broke the Di Maria deal before anyone. If he has anything on the big Spanish two its usually fairly solid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Got to admire Balague's brass neck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Balague also broke the Torres to Chelsea story, and many others. Popular to think of him as a spoofer, but no doubt that he has solid contacts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

The Gospel according to Balague

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

ush wrote: »
    Got to admire Balague's brass neck.

Reminds me of Blackadder's firing squad

"I've got to admire your balls..."
    "Perhaps later..."

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Maybe he has got a few exclusives, but some of the stuff he's come out with has just been way off the mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Balague ain't a spoofer.

he embellishes some of his stories I reckon, but there is no doubt he has contacts. what i mean is, he will sometimes say a transfer is happening, when it's merely at a very early stage. that's not the same as making something up though.

i used to think he was a spoofer, mainly because it was the cool thing to do, but it really isn't true.

Torres, di Maria, and even Falcao, were stories he reported on very early, and they're only recent examples.

Didn't he say Ozil wasn't going to Arsenal. Then a few days later he does. Could be wrong, can't really remember the details tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

The Mig wrote: »
    I've no idea who this lad is!

⚽️ⓡ@ⓑ;@ⓗ; ⓜ@ⓓ;ⓙⓔⓡ ⚽️ ‏@Madger7 2h
    So proud to be a part of the @LFC club! Now It's time to keep working hard! Thanks everyone for your messages

YIXzuf3.jpg

Koko B Wares love child :P

6BEoeIA.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Nah, he's sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Didn't he say Ozil wasn't going to Arsenal. Then a few days later he does. Could be wrong, can't really remember the details tbh

Maybe, but every single journalist out there have made wrong calls, situations change.

Falcao was going to Real all Summer long according to most journalists. Di Maria was definitely singing for PSG. and on and on.

Look at all the exclusive interviews Ballague has done with the Spanish lads. And people still act as if the only contact he ever had was Benitez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Apologies if posted, but I thought this was a good assessment of the Borini situation:

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2014/09/curious-case-fabio-borini/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Gbear wrote: »
    Two ****in weeks.

Bleugh.

Better get addicted to smack to keep me occupied.

Wait is killing and even worse is I am excited as I am going to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Paully D wrote: »
    Apologies if posted, but I thought this was a good assessment of the Borini situation:

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2014/09/curious-case-fabio-borini/

Super well balanced article. I can't believe how some people moan that Borini was somehow being greedy or letting LFC down by not agreeing to be traded against his will like a piece of meat. If LFC want rid of him that badly pay him up his contract and let him leave but I don't see that happening.

I really hope he gets a few games and has a decent shot at cementing a spot in the squad on merit. If he gets his shot and it doesn't pan out he'll be much more likely to accept its not going to work out for him at LFC and he needs to move on but until then why should we be pissed off at a guy who is trying to stake a claim to play for LFC.

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I love all this "Borini should get a shot" malarkey! When exactly do you think he should get a shot? :confused:

Play him in a LC tie up at Boro, if he scores a goal or two it still won't prove anything. Do you propose we drop Sturridge, Balotelli or maybe Sterling for a PL or CL game to give him his chance? If Rodgers did that this place would be in meltdown. He has Lambert, Balotelli and Sturridge in front of him in the pecking order and rightly so. He will never be good enough for Liverpool.

We had a £14m offer on the table from Sunderland (apparently), we will never get that kind of money for him again, that's what bothers some fans. He's obviously been told he has no future here. A year or so ago he would have been a squad player, with the players we have brought in he's gonna need the plague to descend upon Melwood to get a run out in an important meaningful match!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

kfallon wrote: »
    I love all this "Borini should get a shot" malarkey! When exactly do you think he should get a shot? :confused:

Play him in a LC tie up at Boro, if he scores a goal or two it still won't prove anything. Do you propose we drop Sturridge, Balotelli or maybe Sterling for a PL or CL game to give him his chance? If Rodgers did that this place would be in meltdown. He has Lambert, Balotelli and Sturridge in front of him in the pecking order and rightly so. He will never be good enough for Liverpool.

We had a £14m offer on the table from Sunderland (apparently), we will never get that kind of money for him again, that's what bothers some fans. He's obviously been told he has no future here. A year or so ago he would have been a squad player, with the players we have brought in he's gonna need the plague to descend upon Melwood to get a run out in an important meaningful match!

It only takes one injury to Sturridge or Lambert or Ballotelli to have a meltdown to bring Borini into the frame if we are gonna keep playing two up front.

I admire him for his decision even if I ultimately feel it was the wrong one.

I'd rather have him then the 14m with a day on the transfer window left I guess (my thinking on Monday).

Great quote
    He may well also think he can break into Liverpool’s set up. There are precedents for that. A long season beckons and Liverpool suddenly look a lot better playing two forwards and the third on the list, Lambert, looks short of the pace required to play in this Liverpool side.

noodler wrote: »
    It only takes one injury to Sturridge or Lambert or Ballotelli to have a meltdown to bring Borini into the frame if we are gonna keep playing two up front.

So how come we didn't keep him last year? I mean all we had was Suarez and Sturridge then (with Suarez banned for first 5 games).

Oh and Aspas :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

So if he, a striker, plays a game and scores a goal or two proves nothing?

What will he have to do?

He deserves a place on the bench and to come on before Ricky Lambert.

• Advertisement

Re: Borini

I just don't think he has been given enough of chance. Is he as good as Balotelli or Sturridge? absolutely not nor will he ever be. I think people are been too hard on him though, in his first season he was trust into a team under a new manager and new playing style he was always going to struggle, he was plagued with injuries for most the season too. He made just 13 league appearances.

I'd be confident with the way we play now he could get goals. He signed a contract and wants to fulfil that contract, he was offered more money to go to qpr to play regular football but refused. He wants a shot here at the highest level and I admire the lad for that.

Put him on the bench, don't freeze him out otherwise his value will plummet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

So how come we didn't keep him last year? I mean all we had was Suarez and Sturridge then (with Suarez banned for first 5 games).

I don't get what you are trying to say here?

Yes, I wish we had had Borini in the squad when Sturridge was injured over Xmas.

Yes, last season we survived with just Sturridge and Suarez (ignoring Aspas) without European games to play. This time we have 6 CL games at least and can expect, not unrealistically, a better run in the domestic cup competition.

Have you thought this through?

Yep, and when Aspas was coming on late in games and playing that corner, Borini was dragging Sunderland to survival, including scoring a winner against Chelsea, and the opener in the FA Cup Final against Man City.

No problems with him being in the squad this year. He's not going to set the world alight, but the margins are so tight at the top, that he could easily be the difference between 4th and 5th, or between 1st and 2nd!

Super-Rush wrote: »

So you'd be happy enough to see him score a brace against Boro and then keep his place for the next PL game ahead of Balotelli or Sturridge, is that what you are telling me?

I would prefer Lambert off the bench every time to Borini, Lambert has contributed to goals in both the games he has come off the bench in so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

What will he have to do?

No, I don't agree with this part. Lambert offers something different off the bench if things aren't going our way. Lambert is the type of player you would love to bring on against the likes of Chelsea when they're parking the bus. Borini offers nothing different off the bench, he's just a much lesser version of Sturridge. That's not to say he wouldn't get a few games for us, but Lambert will be above him in the pecking order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Thud

ay_117438724.jpg?w=650&h=468&crop=1#038;h=660
    http://metro.co.uk/2013/09/14/liverpool-fortunate-to-add-victor-moses-to-ranks-says-brendan-rodgers-3996217/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

What will he have to do?

Does he? I'd disagree, I think Lambert is a good third option , much better chance of him scoring a goal than Borini. If Borini can prove in the chances he does get with us this year that he is a good finisher, then I'll change my opinion on him. But I havent seen anything up until now to prove to me that Borini is a striker that will get goals for Liverpool

and the opener in the FA Cup Final against Man City.

Really? :confused:

Phil Bardsley also scored for Sunderland against City last season, is this how we now decide how good a player is?

Borini did well for Sunderland, but that's his problem I think. He'll always be good for a mid table team but when the pressure is on at a big club he won't come up with the goods.

We're stuck with him now til January at least so no point arguing the toss. I would have preferred the £14m in the bank if I'm honest!

Sure it'd be boring if we all had the same opinions!

So what does Lambert offer then?

Missed penalties?

Missing complete sitters?

Being slower than Kolo Toure?

Phil Bardsley also scored for Sunderland against City last season, is this how we now decide how good a player is?

Borini did well for Sunderland, but that's his problem I think. He'll always be good for a mid table team but when the pressure is on at a big club he won't come up with the goods.

We're stuck with him now til January at least so no point arguing the toss. I would have preferred the £14m in the bank if I'm honest!

I'm not saying he's our new Suarez, but he demonstrated last season that he could handle immense pressure -- scoring FA Cup Final against the ultimate league champions, and in a relegation scrap away at Chelsea. Compare that to our back-up striker last year: came on in a potential title-decider, and played a corner straight to the opposition.

He won't score twenty goals for us, but he could score the one important goal in a clutch moment that could decide our season. Or he might not. In any case, he's of more use to us now than an extra £14m in the bank is.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Missed penalties?

Did Lambert not more or less score our goal against man city two week ago?
    5th highest scorer in the permiership last year
    Great at dead balls
    Very strong in the air, excellent movement and very accomplished link up play

Let me guess "you didnt see much of him last year but he is crap cause he isnt a 91 pace in fifa14"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Does he? I'd disagree, I think Lambert is a good third option , much better chance of him scoring a goal than Borini. If Borini can prove in the chances he does get with us this year that he is a good finisher, then I'll change my opinion on him. But I havent seen anything up until now to prove to me that Borini is a striker that will get goals for Liverpool
    If he can get goals for Sunderland he can get goals for Liverpool. I prefer him to Lambert. I think he fits into the current set up better than Lambert, and he wants his chance at Liverpool, can't fault him for that.

Hmm you could say the same about Lambert being the big fish in Southamptons small pond.

No I don't think Borini deserves to be ahead of Lambert right now, Lambert is a proven goal scorer and a very good player, one I'm looking forward to seeing start a game for us.

Borini can have his part to play though and I would have preferred him to Aspas or Moses last year.

But the point is if you play with 2 strikers you need 2 back up I think 3 is too little cover. Put it this way you wouldn't be happy having 3 centre backs you want atleast 4.

Did Lambert not more or less score our goal against man city two week ago?
    5th highest scorer in the permiership last year
    Great at dead balls
    Very strong in the air, excellent movement and very accomplished link up play

Let me guess "you didnt see much of him last year but he is crap cause he isnt a 91 pace in fifa14"

I saw plenty of Lambert last season thanks.

Played really well in a small team.

As for the goal against City, how many chances did he need to score that goal?

Header from point blank range hit straight at the keeper then knock in the rebound. Yeah thats the sign of a top player alright.

• Advertisement

Hmm you could say the same about Lambert being the big fish in Southamptons small pond.

Judging by the players Southampton sold this summer he wasn't a big fish in a small pond!

Missed penalties?

Lambert is a really good intelligent player I can't stress that enough.

He has made 2 telling contributions in his first 2 games off the bench.

A real valuable asset he will be IMO

Header from point blank range hit straight at the keeper then knock in the rebound. Yeah thats the sign of a top player alright.

Borini missed a sitter for L'pool v City in his second league game for us.
    He missed an open goal in the UEFA cup game away at Hearts too.

Every striker misses chances, not sure what your point is tbh!

Judging by the players Southampton sold this summer he wasn't a big fish in a small pond!

Their league position says different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Lambert who showed that hes a very good player at Southampton I dont think will have the effect we desire. He was very much the key man for Southampton up front and the team was more or less built to support him. He will not be the key man for us plus I dont think he possesses the mental toughness to survive at a big club but its early days yet so I wont rush to judgement. Borini has played at Chelsea as a youth, for Roma where he was one of their best players in Serie A at the time and got a move to Liverpool at perhaps an awkward time with a new manager implementing new principles plus he was injured most of the time. He showed what he can do last season for Sunderland if given a run of games. I think he deserves a chance and admire him for his determination to stay and get stuck in. Thats an excellent attribute to have. Not saying he will or should be a starter but he at least deserves a chance and I reckon he will turn out to be a better option than Lambert. Just my opinion. At the moment Borini doesnt deserve to be ahead of Lambert and has got to prove that first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Borini will be at Inter come January. So you can quit your arguementing.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

I saw plenty of Lambert last season thanks.

Played really well in a small team.

As for the goal against City, how many chances did he need to score that goal?

So you are writing off a player that has scored 106 goals in 197 games since 2009 because of 10 mins he played against a city team who were beating us 3-0 and we were effectively down to 10 men due to an injury and no subs left?
    Beggars belief to say the very least.

rob316 wrote: »
    Lambert is a really good intelligent player I can't stress that enough.

You clearly haven't watched him play before as he isn't slow, that was his first penalty he ever missed I'd say in pre-season.

He has made 2 telling contributions in his first 2 games off the bench.

You're right, i've never watched him play once, not even when we played Southampton. I go temporarily blind whenever he plays for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Anyone who thinks Borini is a better option than Lambert is just plain wrong, IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

He has Lambert, Balotelli and Sturridge in front of him in the pecking order and rightly so. He will never be good enough for Liverpool.
    Man I wish my crystal ball was as reliable as yours. We need 4 strikers, particularly if we're going to be playing 2 up top quite a bit and especially for FA and League cup matches.

There's also a good chance the time will come when Balotelli is suspended and Sturridge is injured and we may be very glad to have someone with Borini's hunger on the bench.
    He's obviously been told he has no future here.
    If that was the case the club should either let him go to an Italian club if that's what he wants and accept they can't pay PL type fees or pay up his contract and let him off. Trying to force him to join a club he doesn't want to join and then blaming Borini for not allowing himself to be pressured into doing something he doesn't want to do is crass and not what LFC is about. Wasn't it only last week BR was waxing lyrical about LFC being a special club with family values?? See 54 seconds into the clip below. How does forcing a member of your 'family' out the door when all he wants is a decent chance to prove himself reconcile with the stated club values?

LFC 'fans' calling Borini a disgrace or blaming him for wanting to stay and fight for his place should be ashamed of themselves.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement