Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I think Tex will be a better player than Suso so not overly sad to see him go, that said, watching the academy produce players, you want to see them do well and get a chance & Suso is one of the best players we've had come through the ranks in the past few years - Sterling obviously being the gem that made it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Disappointing.

Sterling has been the best youth player I can remember at Liverpool in all my time watching football at those levels. Suso is the only talent who comes anyway close imo.

Suso is not anyway close to Sterling

8-10 wrote: »
    Not now obviously but when they were playing in the youth academy they were the two players to watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Well Sterling has had a great run in a free-flowing team and Suso hasn't.

Brendão wrote: »
    That's your own fault

There's a reason for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Suso's temperament seems a bit suspect, he'll probably mature but over the last 18 months or so its held him back.

Agree about Texieira, just a pity that Coutinho, Lallana and Sterling are all ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Suso's temperament seems a bit suspect, he'll probably mature but over the last 18 months or so its held him back.

Agree about Texieira, just a pity that Coutinho, Lallana and Sterling are all ahead of him.

If Teix is good enough, we'll find room for him. We brought Sterling in as a winger, played him side of the main striker, and now more often as a #10.
    If they are good enough, well find a way to play them...

It's amazing how some players just kick on and others fall away.

Hopefully he goes on to be a decent player

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I really liked Suso.

If he does go it'd be a shame if we don't have some kind of buy back or % of next transfer in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Hope Suso doesn't do a Pogba on us although I wish him well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I don't think the work that Raheem has put in, in the gym can be understated. What's seperated him from the other talented youngsters his age is that he can win physical battles at the top level. At underage level a guy like suso can coast by on his superior technical ability and while that ability might translate to the senior level, he'll be coming up against guys who are on another planet in the strength department to what you face at underage.

I think as time goes by we'll start seeing more teams view underage football like nfl teams view college and start looking as much at physical attributes as technical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

If he can get goals for Sunderland he can get goals for Liverpool. I prefer him to Lambert. I think he fits into the current set up better than Lambert, and he wants his chance at Liverpool, can't fault him for that.

Not necessarily, teams set up differently depending on the opponents. City, Chelsea, United, Arsenal would all set up to win against Sunderland whereas they would not be as open against Liverpool.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    I don't think the work that Raheem has put in, in the gym can be understated. What's seperated him from the other talented youngsters his age is that he can win physical battles at the top level. At underage level a guy like suso can coast by on his superior technical ability and while that ability might translate to the senior level, he'll be coming up against guys who are on another planet in the strength department to what you face at underage.

Great point. He's a power-house, huge gluts and thighs so he can explode away from players. That's something you see when he plays central, he takes the ball static and within 2 seconds is away and in space. And he has the balance to go either way past a player.

I am not even kidding when I say he could be as good as Messi. COULD be.
    He has the speed, the vision for a pass, the strength on the ball, and goes past defenders for fun.

And he's only 19, with 2 years of top flight experience.
    If he can develop his finishing (and he's not bad already), there is very little that can stop him...

There's a reason for that.

Care to elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Albert Morenos wiki page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

sweetie wrote: »
    Hope Suso doesn't do a Pogba on us although I wish him well.

Susos position(s) are pretty stacked at the moment and its hard to make a valid arguement on why he should be playing, fergie played defenders in pogbas position and still wouldnt play him so its a different situation, im sure he would like to stay and see if he gets his chance but he has his head screwed on and knows he needs first team football. Heres hoping for teixiera in any case!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Albert Morenos wiki page.

Very descriptive
    "Alberto Moreno Pérez (Spanish pronunciation: [alˈβerto moˈɾeno ˈpeɾeθ]; born 5 July 1992) is a Spanish professional footballer who plays for Liverpool as a left back. He was created when Stevie G pumped his man juice into Xabi Alonso's waxed bottom cavity, observed and instigated by Brendan Rodgers." :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Is Suso going the way of Pacheco?

• Advertisement

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Is Suso going the way of Pacheco?
    Not really based on the club he's moving to...

From marios instagram account this morning, god I hope this means he is buying into the club ethos. Could be glorious if he gets his head in order

http://instagram.com/p/shHXrvLj-v/

Wouldn't it be great if Balotelli and Sturridge became our Yorke and Cole. Could see it. :)

Wouldn't it be great if Balotelli and Sturridge became our Yorke and Cole. Could see it. :)

Id prefer if they became our fowler and collymore to be honest with you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

RoboRat wrote: »
    Not necessarily, teams set up differently depending on the opponents. City, Chelsea, United, Arsenal would all set up to win against Sunderland whereas they would not be as open against Liverpool.

The other side of that is the drop in quality at clubs like Sunderland and often surviving on scraps, though Poyet had them playing good stuff at times.

Still think staying is the wrong move for Borini personally.

Suso and also Alberto for me have suffered because of the change in style away from tiki taka, both aren't the quickest.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Yes, but Yorke and Cole's partnership shot Utd to a treble! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Who have feck all trophies in comparison!

I'll take Yorke and Cole's leagues and CL win, thank you very much.

Yes, but Yorke and Cole's partnership shot Utd to a treble! :)
    Knex. wrote: »
    Who have feck all trophies in comparison!

I'll take Yorke and Cole's leagues and CL win, thank you very much.

Well thats all fine and dandy but Fowler and Collymore scored 42 goals between them in 95 and they are both Liverpool players rather than United ones. Ill happily take a repeat of that goalscoring record with the added bonus that our two star forwards wouldnt hate each other.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I want them to be Suarez and Sturridge, over 50 goals between them last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Can we not just let them be Sturridge and Sterling, they could turn out to be better then any of the partnerships from the past..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

If they really apply themselves, they can be the new Tomax and Xamot.

gijoetwins.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Very descriptive
    "Alberto Moreno Pérez (Spanish pronunciation: [alˈβerto moˈɾeno ˈpeɾeθ]; born 5 July 1992) is a Spanish professional footballer who plays for Liverpool as a left back. He was created when Stevie G pumped his man juice into Xabi Alonso's waxed bottom cavity, observed and instigated by Brendan Rodgers." :eek:

Fecks sake!

Our solution to LB right under our noses and we missed it:-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Well thats all fine and dandy but Fowler and Collymore scored 42 goals between them in 95 and they are both Liverpool players rather than United ones. Ill happily take a repeat of that goalscoring record with the added bonus that our two star forwards wouldnt hate each other.

Wasn't it Sheringham and Cole who hated each other?

They didn't talk off the pitch apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Belague saying that Valdes is joining subject to a medical

I never thought he was a really top goalkeeper, but he's certainly a very good one and a very different one to Mignolet. Definitely knows how to use his feet

More healthy competition and on a free I think it'd be a good piece of business

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

As long as they dont become the new Bert & Ernie and decide to sleep in the same bed all day.

Great to have competition for GK spot. Long overdue

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    As long as they dont become the new Bert & Ernie and decide to sleep in the same bed all day.

I dunno, seemingly it worked for Xabi and Stevie, if Moreno is anything to go by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Morzadec wrote: »

I never thought he was a really top goalkeeper, but he's certainly a very good one and a very different one to Mignolet. Definitely knows how to use his feet

Don't agree. I think before his injury he was one of the best GK's in the world. Getting him on a free is a great deal. If he recovers fully from injury he will easily be our #1. Last season he was performing at a very high level probably the best year of his career.

A medical in October, so we will have to wait and see...
    That would allow Jones to join some Aussie club in Oct as their seasons starts in Nov...

Alex Ferguson has hijacked the thread, folks :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

MD1990 wrote: »
    Don't agree. I think before his injury he was one of the best GK's in the world. Getting him on a free is a great deal. If he recovers fully from injury he will easily be our #1. Last season he was performing at a very high level probably the best year of his career.

Just my opinion that I never rated him as 'World Class' if you want to put it that way. I always thought Barca could perhaps do a bit better. Never thought he was close to being the best keeper in the world for example, or top 5 for that matter

But that's judging him by the absolute highest standards.

Still very happy to have him at Liverpool if he comes and certainly there's probably no one better with the ball at his feet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Suso has been named in the 25 man pl squad, looks like he still has a chance at lfc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I would honestly be delighted to see him make the bench a few times and play some league cup/FA cup matches.

Valdes runs with his knees

Suso has been named in the 25 man pl squad, looks like he still has a chance at lfc.

He's under 21 so he doesn't count towards the squad limitations. There were 58 under-21's named in addition to the squad and Suso is one of them, only a handful of them will play first team this season.

If Valdes comes in I'd be pretty sure we will end the season with him as our #1.

I know what Morzadec is saying, he was never viewed as World Class like say, Buffon back when Barca were becoming dominant, he was a bit loose and was trying to get involved in the play when he wasn't needed, stuff like that. But he has ironed a lot of that out and will bring huge experience to the squad. I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be a queue of clubs in for him.

Mignolet has a way to go before he has the clubs full confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Start of last season I would have had Valdes in the Top 10 goalkeepers in the world probably even Top 5, he would be a major upgrade on Mignolet and bring an unrivalled wealth of experience to the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

I never though Valdes was a top keeper. There's so many better keepers out there I think ad don't think he's really an upgrade on Mignolet.

Mignolet is getting worse though!

Wasn't it always rumoured Reina would replace him?

rob316 wrote: »
    Start of last season I would have had Valdes in the Top 10 goalkeepers in the world probably even Top 5, he would be a major upgrade on Mignolet and bring an unrivalled wealth of experience to the team.

I was never hugely impressed with him over the years, always looks like he could make a Reina-ish mistake in a game, but I mostly saw in CL and some Classico games. And I guess Barca wouldn't have stuck with him for so long if he was an actual liability...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Unfortunately, Mignolet looks a bag of nerves, and I don't see it ever changing.

Seems like a nice, gentle and educated guy. But not the character makeup for a top, top, keeper.

• Advertisement

Borini wanted £95,000-a-week, a severance package from #LFC & an exit clause from QPR allowing him to leave for less than £10 m. [Bascombe]

Dont know if thats new on this thread but its new to me
    95k a week is a bloody joke if its true

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement